How URI helped Pats win SB

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How URI helped Pats win SB

Unread post by TruePoint »

From Mike Reiss at ESPN Boston:

2. With no combine invitation in 2014, [Malcolm] Butler hoped to open eyes by taking part in the University of Alabama Pro Day last year, which is sort of like a combine in and of itself. But when he ran a 4.6-second time in the 40-yard dash, his agent Derek Simpson recalled that “all interest had faded.” The draft went by and Butler’s name wasn’t called, and no team even offered an immediate free-agent deal. Said Simpson, “I’ll never forget it; I was at my dining room table and got a phone call. It was [Patriots cornerbacks coach] Josh Boyer and he said, ‘Is Malcolm still available? I can bring in one player in the country for a tryout and I picked Malcolm. I believe Malcolm can play in the NFL.’ We had to sign a release just to try out, and within one hour after his flight from Jackson, Mississippi, to New England, they had him run a 40 and he did a 4.4. From that point forward, it’s been nothing but incredible.”

3. Patriots scout Frantzy Jourdain, as noted by ESPN.com Insider Field Yates, was responsible for the initial report on Butler. Those in Rhode Island might remember Jourdain from his time at URI (1993-97), where he was a three-year starter at running back and strong safety. This was Jourdain’s 12th season with the Patriots’ personnel department and 10th year as an area scout, and like Boyer, his role in Butler landing in New England can’t be overlooked. The Patriots’ motto this year was “Do Your Job,” and because Jourdain did his exceptionally well, the little-known Butler was on the roster and in position to make the play that won Super Bowl XLIX.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: How URI helped Pats win SB

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nice!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That's an incredible story. Trimming his 40 time and being able to do it fresh off a plane under the circumstances. Wow.

It's like of course he would make that pick. He played well the whole game really.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Wow...crazy. Good thing!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey