PATRIOTS-RAVENS

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

PATRIOTS-RAVENS

Unread post by bressler3south »

Pats must've watched the URI-Duquesne game in the locker room before kick-off……..
And I'm not even a Pats' fan. Oooooooooooof.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: PATRIOTS-RAVENS

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nobody makes me want to be physically violent more than the Ravens. I would honestly punch Terrell Suggs in the face (and then run as fast as I could).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm a Patriots fan and was ready to turn off the game at 14-0. Glad I hung in there.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I'm a Patriots fan and was ready to turn off the game at 14-0. Glad I hung in there.
Yeah I was there with you but the Patriots more than any other team I will never count out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I watched parts of the game at work. They [the Pats] look great at times, and crap at times.

A repeat of that performance, and they're not winning the SB. Book it.

Their defense was AWFUL for most of the game. The Ravens stopped themselves more than the Pats did.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I watched parts of the game at work. They [the Pats] look great at times, and crap at times.

Their defense was AWFUL for most of the game. The Ravens stopped themselves more than the Pats did.
Until Flacco's INT at the end of the game, he made the Pats secondary look sick (in the traditional sense of the word).
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's kind of like the URI game - I'll take it and run with the victory :)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Pats defense stunk, all day, as did the refs.
Clear holding on Gronk, and no call. The Amendola
catch was a catch. He always had control; of the ball.
Some others, too.
A playoff win is always good. On to next Sunday night.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I watched parts of the game at work. They [the Pats] look great at times, and crap at times.

The Ravens are the toughest test for New England every year. I know you're not a Pats fan so not sure how close you follow, but one week has nothing to do with the next. The 'if they play like that when....' thing is always a false argument, but especially in the NFL and especially with the Pats. It is all matchups, and that was the game that concerned me most. No Pats fan is worried about the performance, we're happy to be alive.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I agree that the Pats' defense stunk.
Revis picked a bad game to have his worst game. easily could have been flagged 2 more times for grabbing the jersey.
Some day before I die maybe I'll see the Pats protect the outside with mobile qb's.
Hope Stork and Browner can play next week. One missing O-lineman matters on this team. I had to stay alert. I was afraid the Ravens were going to push Kline through the screen and into my lap.
Could those announcers have been cheering any more for the Pats?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhody74 wrote:I'm a Patriots fan and was ready to turn off the game at 14-0. Glad I hung in there.
Same here. Came out playing like garbage.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

rodfromcranston wrote:Pats defense stunk, all day, as did the refs.
Some others, too.
Agree the defense wasn't as good as usual. Refs were TERRIBLE! Sooooooooo many calls not made on ravens...holding, personal fouls, etc...
Knee to Brady's head, Gronks non-catch, Partial horse collar on Vereen (grabbed, pulled and then let go...horse collar is a horse collar...regardless of duration), & O-line of Ravens held anyone and everyone on their way to Flaco (and I don't mean inside the pads...I mean yanking guys shoulders back from behind after they've been beat). Saw it on blitzing linebackers and the DE's as well.
Kudos to Flaco for playing one hell of a game. Thugs....I mean Suggs can enjoy his couch because "the quarterback" just shedded his defense.
Glad the Patriots found a way to win! Go Pats!!!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pats fans complaining about refs is always my favorite thing ever. They get more calls than any team in the league (maybe Peyton is up there with them).

That said, the no call on Gronk was real bad.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some of the calls/no calls in some of these playoff games are real head scratchers.

Something tells me there will be more of them.

Blown calls happen, but there are more of them lately, and when they happen in crucial situations, only magnifies the problem.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

The Dude wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Pats defense stunk, all day, as did the refs.
Some others, too.
Agree the defense wasn't as good as usual. Refs were TERRIBLE! Sooooooooo many calls not made on ravens...holding, personal fouls, etc...
Knee to Brady's head, Gronks non-catch, Partial horse collar on Vereen (grabbed, pulled and then let go...horse collar is a horse collar...regardless of duration), & O-line of Ravens held anyone and everyone on their way to Flaco (and I don't mean inside the pads...I mean yanking guys shoulders back from behind after they've been beat). Saw it on blitzing linebackers and the DE's as well.
Kudos to Flaco for playing one hell of a game. Thugs....I mean Suggs can enjoy his couch because "the quarterback" just shedded his defense.
Glad the Patriots found a way to win! Go Pats!!!
horse collar is on inside the collar and a pull backwards, sideways is ok
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

adam914 wrote:Pats fans complaining about refs is always my favorite thing ever. They get more calls than any team in the league (maybe Peyton is up there with them).
Fact check.

Patriots were called for 127 penalties during the regular season. Only Seattle was called for more (136). Patriot opponents were given 1,135 penalty yards, again second in the NFL, this stat to St. Louis.

The Patriots had only 99 penalties against their opponents. Only Seattle, the New York Jets, Atlanta, Tennessee, and Cleveland received less. Patriots faired a little better in penalty yardage for, moving up one spot to 26th. Houston and the above mentioned teams received less yards.

Throw all that together and the Patriots had the 2nd biggest penalty differential at -28. Seattle led the league at -61.

So maybe we are just wrong, perhaps the Patriots benefit in some categories more than others. How about unnecessary roughness? Well Pats were called for 6 but only were beneficiaries of 5. Pass Interference? 10 called against, received 11. Defensive holding? 15 called against, 7 for. Illegal Use of Hands? 6 called against, 4 for. Illegal contact? 3 against, 7 for. There's that huge advantage that was spoken about.... :lol:
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Pats fans complaining about refs is always my favorite thing ever. They get more calls than any team in the league (maybe Peyton is up there with them).
Fact check.

Patriots were called for 127 penalties during the regular season. Only Seattle was called for more (136). Patriot opponents were given 1,135 penalty yards, again second in the NFL, this stat to St. Louis.

The Patriots had only 99 penalties against their opponents. Only Seattle, the New York Jets, Atlanta, Tennessee, and Cleveland received less. Patriots faired a little better in penalty yardage for, moving up one spot to 26th. Houston and the above mentioned teams received less yards.

Throw all that together and the Patriots had the 2nd biggest penalty differential at -28. Seattle led the league at -61.

So maybe we are just wrong, perhaps the Patriots benefit in some categories more than others. How about unnecessary roughness? Well Pats were called for 6 but only were beneficiaries of 5. Pass Interference? 10 called against, received 11. Defensive holding? 15 called against, 7 for. Illegal Use of Hands? 6 called against, 4 for. Illegal contact? 3 against, 7 for. There's that huge advantage that was spoken about.... :lol:
My comment was not in relation to the number of penalties called for or against them, although I can see how my choice of words would make it seem that way. My comment was more about them getting calls or no-calls in their favor at the most opportunistic times for them.

That said, I would not expect a board full of mostly (I assume) Patriots fans to see that so me trying to argue the point is really a lost cause. Just like I wouldn't expect PC fans to try and come on here and argue points...oh wait...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Adam, I assume you, like Ray Lewis, are relating to the "Tuck Rule" (a legit NFL rule at the time)? I can count numerous calls that they didn't get that changed outcomes of games. How about just last season in Carolina, when officials picked up a flag on a blatant pass interference that ended the game? Or again last year, when the Patriots were called against the Jets for that penalty for pushing on the FG attempt? Or go back to Super Bowl 42, where Richard Seymour was mugged preventing a sack of Eli on "The Catch" (which I'm fine with it not being called in that situation, but was very blatant and could have been a "game-changing call")? I honestly feel that to a lot of people, the one call of the Tuck Rule all the way back in 2001 has given people "ammo" that the Patriots benefit from a whole plethora of calls that frankly, I don't think exists. Those are 3 examples of calls that potentially influenced games that the Patriots did not benefit from. I can also think of some examples that did benefit them (last year against New Orleans for example, the TD pass to Thompkins was aided by a no-call hold), I just think if you weighed them all out, you are talking 50/50.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm tired of opposing team's players and fans bitching about
the "Tuck Rule" or "Spygate", as though those were the only
reasons the Pats are the most consistently successful NFL
franchise of this century.
Sour grapes and just too convenient for ignorami to latch onto.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Like I said, I'm done on the subject, I don't expect to convince Pats fans of any of this so its just pointless. You guys are attributing things you've heard other people say and applying it to my argument. I couldn't care less about the tuck rule or spygate, that was what like 10-12 and 5-6 years ago, and have nothing to do with what I was talking about. Neither of those words ever came out of mouth. Agree to disagree.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:Like I said, I'm done on the subject, I don't expect to convince Pats fans of any of this so its just pointless. You guys are attributing things you've heard other people say and applying it to my argument. I couldn't care less about the tuck rule or spygate, that was what like 10-12 and 5-6 years ago, and have nothing to do with what I was talking about. Neither of those words ever came out of mouth. Agree to disagree.
That's fine, but would love to have a real discussion on it. People always say Pats fan are spoiled and beneficiary of huge calls all the time. I rack my brain and maybe it's my eyes but just over the past few seasons, can think of 2 games they were blantantly hurt by tough calls against, and 1 they were helped by. I know Brady hasn't helped the cause in the past, believe against the Ravens four years ago when he looked at the ref begging for a roughing the passer and got it. Don't think it's necessarily unique of Brady, but was easy to point at. I swear when I watch the Packers, every time there is an incompletion they are begging for interference.

Maybe you don't care about Tuck Rule, but a lot of people use that as the start of their argument for "The Patriots get lucky calls all the time." Apologize for putting words in your mouth.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I honestly think that it is impossible for people to be fair about the Patriots. To me, they seem like a pillar of virtue - the clear good guys in a league of jackasses and scumbags - and so to me they can do no wrong. Pretty much every non-Pats fan in the country thinks the exact opposite, and to them everything is evidence of conspiracy and underhandedness. I think that just comes with the territory of having a prolonged run of success. In the case of the Pats, it is clearly exacerbated by the media's handling of spygate, which was hilariously treated as "cheating" but was in fact just a commonplace breaking of a procedural rule. It was the NFL equivalent of getting stopped for speeding, and the NFL treated it like an armed robbery, which allowed the absurd narrative that still persists to develop in the first place.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

It's amazing how people around the country (outside of NE) feel about the pats. last night I spoke to a Cox rep. who was in New Orleans. She made a point of saying how much she hated the Pats, and, specifically, the coach. This from a "bounty hunting" Saints fan.

To change the subject a little, how do fans see today's games playing out? As a Pats fan, I'm worried about the Colts. I wish we didn't kill them every time we played them recently. They've got players back who didn't play earlier this year. Their tight ends are pretty good, too. The Pats have trouble covering TE's across the middle. Also, Luck is playing his best.
It's very hard for players to take a team they've owned seriously. It's going to be challenge to keep these guys focused. As with every team I root for, I'll gladly take a 1 point win.

I can't see the Packers winning with Rodgers playing on one leg.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seahawks and Pats both roll in my opinion. Win and cover for both.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

It looks that way to me, too. That's what worries me. I'm always wrong.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote:It looks that way to me, too. That's what worries me. I'm always wrong.
Looks like I'm right there with ya. Didn't see this coming at all.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Knowing that there may always be a surprise in the NFL, I'm glad to see the surprise happening in the early game...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, it WAS a surprise. Not over yet, but big choke job by Packers if the score holds.....

If the Seahawks turn it over 5 times against the Pats in the SB, you guys will be happy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Holy crap. Now it's tied, likely OT.

Lynch has taken over the game. The Packers D is gassed.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seattle=unstoppable late

Commit 5 turnovers and still win, incredible.

Pats have a HUGE job ahead of them in 2 weeks.

Notice I'm assuming they win tonight, which isn't a stretch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If Seattle played that game against NE, they would have gotten beat by four touchdowns. Seattle will need to play their best game of the year away from home to beat New England.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I HATE the Seascum.
I like Aaron Rodgers and the Pack.
That was almost as painful as us blowing the last two games.
Wilson played perhaps the worst post season game in history until the last few minutes.
GB couldn't stop them at the end. Don't get why Matthews kept out of
several plays, late.
That guy who muffed the onside kick, will have one hell of a long post season
to think about how he blew a Super Bowl appearance for his team.
Richard Sherman is the ultimate drama queen. Hate him, too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sports are tough. One split second, and your entire season is down the drain.

Or, your season continues.

Been on both sides of the fence, with my 3 favs, Giants, Yanks, and of course, our URI Rams.

Of course, I've been lucky that the first 2 have won a lot more than they've lost, as in SB's and WS's.

The last one? Success at times, but always heartbreak at the end. Never have won their final game of any season in a tournament.

All I want, is to experience one more big run in an NCAA tourney before I croak, or the NCAA makes it impossible for us to play for a D1 title.

Is that asking much? I would trade a bunch of titles by my other teams, for just one for URI. Even a FF would do.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha TP the way you talk about the Pats you'd almost think it hadn't been 10 years since they won a Super Bowl!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Colts are awful. I'm sure the Pats wish they could play them in the SB, sure win.

IF the Seahags don't turn it over, the Pats aren't going to win the SB. If they do, then they have a chance.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Everyone in NE knew this game would go this way, but the Colts aren't a bad team. We are just a matchup nightmare for them. The opposite of Baltimore, which is not a good team but is a matchup nightmare us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, that and the fact that they always turn it over against NE.

If they could avoid the turnovers, it might be a close game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They cannot do anything on offense. It isn't just turnovers. They can't move the ball. None of their receivers can get open against our secondary and our line owns their line.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Everyone in NE knew this game would go this way, but the Colts aren't a bad team. We are just a matchup nightmare for them. The opposite of Baltimore, which is not a good team but is a matchup nightmare us.
Haha I know, just messin with ya (I think you probably realize that). I saw this one coming from a mile away myself. Me and my wallet were big Pats fans today!
Last edited by adam914 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pats now running up the score.

As they love to do. If anybody wants to know why so many outside of NE hate the Pats?

It's because of this. Arrogance. No need for it.

Some day, they are going to be on the other end of it, and I hope the other teams blow them out by 50.

Well, Belichek is a great coach. But this where he needs a lesson in humility.

One of these days, Brady is going to get pretzeled by an opponent late in a Pat's blowout, and cost them big time.

And I wouldn't blame them one bit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Running up the score? HAHA!! Is this rec league? There was a quarter left to play when they scored last. If there is time on the clock you keep playing. If the Colts don't want to give up anymore points, maybe they consider stopping us. This is pro football. You play 60 minutes.

Adam, I got you. You're my guy with Rhody basketball but it is fun having at least something to disagree about. NFL football works for that.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: Adam, I got you. You're my guy with Rhody basketball but it is fun having at least something to disagree about. NFL football works for that.
Haha, yup exactly.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm just saying. When you're up 30, and the Colts don't have a chance in hell to catch you, run the ball, sit on it, whatever.

It just isn't tonight. They've done it a LOT of times. The freaking game is over. End it quicker.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Didn't they run the ball into the endzone?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They were clearly trying to hit the over, can't blame them for that, mortgages are on the line here.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is the NFL.
You don't want the score run up? You're NFL players.
Stop them, if you can, don't cry about it.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:Pats now running up the score.
The game that ended before the Pats' one started should be a vivid example of why you don't let up in the playoffs. Or, Houston vs. Buffalo from the 1990s, the Frank Reich game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I do think the Pats would have been smarter to get Brady and other key assets out of the game 5 mins before they did. The last few times the Patriots have been in the AFC Championship or Super Bowl there have been big time injuries.

Did anyone else almost choke when they saw Brady go down with a low leg tackle when they tried to throw with about 6 mins left in the game. WTF? Protect your key players.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just heard the Pats likely deflated the footballs, to get a better grip.

Obviously that had nothing to do with who won the game, but....

If true, they will lose draft picks. Just gives another impression that the Pats bend the rules.

Gotta say, we have 2 very much hated teams in this SB.

Only matchup that might be worse, would be if the Cowboys had won the NFC.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Haha. There literally could not be a less scandalous scandal. If it wasn't the Patriots it wouldn't even be reported. Even if they did deflate a football, who cares? I doubt the league will care much. Maybe you'll see a minor slap in the wrist.
0 x