Pedro Martinez

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Pedro Martinez

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Congratulations to the best pitcher I have ever seen.

Pitch speed, movement, spin, deception and stone cold fearless.

Well done and fully deserving of first ballot entry.......

I am blessed to have seen him pitch in person.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Pedro Martinez

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'll co-sign all of that. One of my favorite things about Pedro was that he was the class clown on days he didn't pitch, but when he was on the hill, he looked like a serial killer in the dugout. Such a fierce competitor.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Definitely the best pitcher I ever saw in person, but mostly by luck and happenstance, the second best is Frank Viola, heh. (I've probably only ever been to about 15 Sox games in person, about one a year.) Even on TV, Pedro just did ridiculous things with the baseball. His change-up, when it was on, was one of the filthiest pitches ever.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My favorite athlete of all time and, in my opinion, in the conversation for greatest pitcher ever with only Sandy Koufax and Christy Mathewson. I know without question if I had one game to win to save my life, I'd want Pedro in his Prime on the hill for me.

I wrote a paper in college arguing that statistically and anecdotally, Pedey's 1999 season was the greatest ever by a pitcher. As dominating in terms of advanced stats like WAR, ERA+ and era-adjusted ERA as just about anybody has ever been, he also sprinkled in three of my greatest baseball memories in about four months - the K-fest in the all-star game in Fenway (one of my best live sports moments), Game 5 in Cleveland (which otherwise would have been the "Troy O'Leary Game" if not for Pedro's legendary bullpen appearance) and the 17 Ks in Yankee Stadium against the peak Yankee team. He also shut out the Yankees in the playoffs that year - I believe it was the Yankees only postseason loss (they definitely beat the Sox in 5 and swept the Braves in the WS. I think they also swept the Rangers in the ALDS). Statistically, his 2000 season was actually better, but the '99 one with all those incredible moments will always be the one for me. He incredibly didn't win the MVP because professional troll Murray Chass left him completely off his ballot.

One fact I've always loved about Pedro: he technically never pitched a no-hitter, but that comes with two amazing footnotes. The well-known one was his no-hit bullpen appearance in Game 5 vs. the Indians. But the other is that while with Montreal he took a perfect game into the 10th inning but the lowly Expos couldn't push across a single run for him and lost in extras. Dicks.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Another vote here for Pedro as favorite baseball player of all time. That changeup that could get right handed batters knees to buckle as if it was actually a curve ball that Pedro threw. There was some talk when Matsuzaka came over that that knee buckling change that Pedro threw was actually a version of the gyroball that we were supposedly going to see regularly. He was so great that anytime he pitched you knew something amazing could happen, so his starts became appointment viewing. I remember having parties with friends just because Pedro was going to be pitching. I really wish NESN and MLB would get their act together and release a DVD set of Pedro's greatest games.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Just a heads up in case you didn't get the email, they're having a Pedro Martinez night at Fenway on Tuesday, July 28th and tickets are on sale now. That's two days after his Hall of Fame induction. Everyone gets a replica of his Hall of Fame plaque, and there's a very good chance that they'll retire his number that night. The retired Jim Rice's number two days after his Hall of Fame induction.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Wow I deleted that = good heads up RhowdyRam02!!
Last edited by hrstrat57 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Awesome. Love Pedro!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Recovery of deleted email sent to me by sawx...

Red Sox Logo RED SOX TICKET NEWS
Just Announced: Pedro Martinez HOF Plaque Night July 28!
Pedro Martinez will be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on July 26th. On July 28th at Fenway Park, you can receive your very own limited edition version of his HOF Plaque.

This special giveaway night is now on sale, and extended a few more days, all processing fees are waived. Don't wait, this special fee free offer ends on Sunday night.

Spread the word and join us for #PedroHOF Plaque Night. Additional single game tickets, 3-game Triple Play Pax, and 4-game Sox Pax are also available now.

Buy Pedro Plaque Night Tickets
0 x