Roger Goodell is going to have to leave

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Roger Goodell is going to have to leave

Unread post by TruePoint »

Full disclosure: I think Roger Goodell is about as bad of a person as there is. Just...in every respect, he is terrible. He has a "law and order" mentality; he thinks he is much smarter than he is; he thinks he is much more important than he is; he is a grotesquely rich man without any discernible talent; he is a liar; he is arrogant; he is dumb; he is a douchebag. He has dropped the hammer on people just trying to do their jobs, fining people and suspending people who have transgressed far less than he has in the last eight months.

So, it pains me zero to say this, but it doesn't make it any less true: Roger Goodell has to leave. He can resign, or the owners can fire him. But he bungled this situation and has been caught lying about it in such a fashion that far exceeds forgivable malfeasance. There were clearly things going on behind the scenes that led to all of this embarrassment for the League, and he made his bed. Time for him to lie in it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Roger Goodell is going to have to leave

Unread post by twisted3829 »

if the NFL received the video as reported (I don't think the AP would go out on a limb with info like that) he has to go
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They 100% had the video. For them to say they didn't is just an absurd lie. All of their stooges in the media (King, Schefter, Mort, et. al) all said they had it at the time. Why they thought they could keep the video from the public and why they felt they could/should imply that the video mitigated Rice's guilt and excused their light punishment, I have no idea. It was the worst possible way to play it, but that is what they did.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Mort described exactly what happened in the elevator in july
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm not sure that he's forced out, and without force, I don't think he leaves. This domestic violence issue and handling of the Rice/Gordon cases have both been done poorly (to put it nicely), and this isn't the first time the fans have called for his dismissal. NHL fans loathe Gary Bettman, and David Stern didn't leave in the midst of a referee who was gambling on games.

I understand the sentiment, and tend to agree, but I don't think it happens. The Bills just sold for 1.4 BILLION dollars, and they're perennially awful. Clearly the league has no problems with money, despite Goodell. At the end of the day, it's about the owners and how much money a commissioner can make them.
0 x
Go Rhody!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree that he has to and should go (and I really really hope he does cause he is the worst ever), but I also just don't see it happening. I think its far more likely that someone else high up in the NFL takes the fall for the whole "having the video" thing and get fired instead with a nice behind the scenes payout on their way out the door. Meanwhile Goodell will continue to deny having known they had the video.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Andrew wrote:I'm not sure that he's forced out, and without force, I don't think he leaves. This domestic violence issue and handling of the Rice/Gordon cases have both been done poorly (to put it nicely), and this isn't the first time the fans have called for his dismissal. NHL fans loathe Gary Bettman, and David Stern didn't leave in the midst of a referee who was gambling on games.

I understand the sentiment, and tend to agree, but I don't think it happens. The Bills just sold for 1.4 BILLION dollars, and they're perennially awful. Clearly the league has no problems with money, despite Goodell. At the end of the day, it's about the owners and how much money a commissioner can make them.
It seems to me that the NFL could try to lose money right now and still make money, and that they are making money hand over fist in spite of Goodell, not because of him. To the extent that optics and public opinion matter at all, Goodell has hurt them there tremendously over the whole course of his commissionership. The league is so popular that it has weathered it, but the cumulative effect isn't known yet - to the extent that the impact is felt over time, it may not have started yet. His stewardship of the league's handling of the concussion situation is going to ultimately be very costly to the owners. Almost all of his mistakes were a result of foolish and stupidity-induced bravado, and if I am an owner I would prefer to have a smarter and less controversial person in that role. I know the owners are publicly backing him now, but who the hell knows how long that will continue for.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

http://deadspin.com/hey-roger-get-the-f ... 1633264122

^My main man Drew agrees with me. So does my other main man, Keith Olbermann. Any time I have Drew and Keith on the same side as I am, I know I'm right.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I love Deadspin. Concussion issue is more on Tagliabue and others, rather than Goodell IMO. He's made his fair share of mistakes though, no doubt.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Unless the owners, who hire Goodell, take some financial hit in the fallout, he stays.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I get that, and maybe some sponsors will back away. But the NFL is too big to take any kind of real hit. And that is kind of the point. It doesn't take a genius to sell that product and make a ton of money. If I were commissioner the NFL would be just as profitable as it is under Goodell. The idea that he gets credit for that is infuriating. He is a stooge and a lackey.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

One reason the owners like him is a lopsided labor agreement and more TV money. I doubt any of the current controversies will have much effect in popular NFL spots ... New England, New York, Dallas Pittsburgh etc. where games are always sold out.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

No one has any comments about yesterday's presser? Rogey continuing to prove himself to be all those things TP mentioned at the top of the page. I'm going to add "Vile" to "lying, arrogant, dumb, douchebag" and the owners need to suck a dick as well, I'd like one fucking owner to step up and say Goodell has to go, and I'd like to believe that owner feels that way because he/she recognizes Roger Goodell is a bad person that may as well have been the abuser on the video. Every reaction the NFL has had to these current situations has only served to express how misogyny and greed is still ruling the day, it continues to strangle the life out of society. Remember what John Lennon had to say before his demise "woman is the nigger of the world" and it's true to this day, maybe not in your house or in my house, but we all allow it to be societies dirty secret. It is disgraceful.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yup. He just keeps getting worse and worse. No owners came out against him yesterday, but a ton of current and former players went after him following the embarrassing press conference, led most passionately by Tedy Bruschi on NFL-partner ESPN.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Goodell is popular among the owners. Unless he causes a financial hit, he stays on.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:Goodell is popular among the owners. Unless he causes a financial hit, he stays on.
Yes, you've said that three times in this thread already. And it is definitely true to some extent. My counter, though, is that basically anyone could run the NFL and it would be incredibly profitable. The product of football is incredibly popular. The commissioner has very little to do with that. He doesn't have a magic formula that is allowing the NFL to print money; if anything, he seems like a rather dim fellow and is therefore probably constraining the leagues profitability in some respects.

For example, his two pet projects - expanding the league into Europe and increasing the schedule to 18 games - are both ideas that look like obvious revenue generators on paper, but in my opinion have incredible risks attached to them. First, there is the abstract idea that overexpansion at too rapid a pace could severely weaken consumer demand over time. Second is the more concrete idea that those two measures are so incredibly unpopular among players that they could lead to immediate labor strife and force the owners to make concessions to the players with respect to dividing the revenue pie. If the expansion of the geographic footprint of the league and of the schedule does not lead to expected enlarging of the revenue pie, then the owners will take a bath - and I am of the opinion that any gains in revenues will be short lived at best and will ultimately hurt the sport's popularity in the long term.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Free Bill Simmons.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What has Bill been saying? I gave up on him when he became a reality-tv-focused hollywood wannabe, but I can imagine the old Bill having a good take on this situation.

Edit: whoops, answered my own question-

http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-bill- ... sanderchan

There's old Billy!

Free Bill Simmons.
0 x