2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Day one in the books. Reminded me how disgraceful and corrupt FIFA is.

How is flopping/diving not SEVERELY punished, at least post-game via video review, with a mandatory one-game suspension??

It hurts me that a sport I really love and respect for it's athleticism and skill gets laughed at when this kind of gamesmanship and idiotic officiating is accepted by it's governing body and so many of its fans.

Diving/flopping is NOT part of the game. Eliminate it with severe punishments since the in-game consequences (a penalty kick converted at around 80%) is one of the most severe game-changing events in sport.

http://ht.ly/2I6cHv
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'm sure the ref will be disciplined but probably won't go public, I love soccer but I know I'm in the minority (unless the world cup is on). Feel bad for Croatia but they should still advance (but may have to face Spain in the first round of knockouts)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I also like soccer and want to see it become a legit sport in the U.S., and this kind of thing definitely hurts. Not that the rest of the world gives a damn about how we feel about it. It just shows that there is still a culture chasm between us and fully embracing the sport. We won't be really, really good until we fully embrace it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

more poor officiating today (mainly the assist ref) Mexico lost 2 goals on offside calls that were clearly onside
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gross... no excuse for missing an offside.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Portugal is spanked by Germany, the class of the group, 4 nil.

Pepe was sent off by headbutting Mueller who scored a hat trick for Germany. Pepe will not be able to play vs USA next match.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In case anyone missed it, GoRhody.com has posted a Geoff Cameron tracker page:
http://www.gorhody.com/genrel/releases/ ... WC-Updates
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

great result for the US, a win this evening would put them in very good position
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now that USA has won the first game, I really need to pretend to like soccer more convincingly.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

job done, beat Portugal and Germeny beats Ghana and we're through
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody's own Geoff Cameron is happy about the win. This was the lead photo on the NBC News site:

0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Please put a reminder of this and the Gorhody stories, about this great URI/USA story, on the NCAA or Bust site so the many Keaneyblue users know where to find it. One sentence may inform URI supporters about this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a great game and great win. Loved it when the announcer commented in the second half specifically how great Cameron was playing. The pressure he put on when the header missed likely led to that miss - that shot could have been the game for Ghana.
Geoff was fun to watch when he was at URI. I saw him play numerous games at Rhody. What a great story for URI Soccer, plus he is a local kid from Attleboro.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

On the winning goal you see that Geoff almost heads it but is double covered when Brooks man goes to stop Geoff leaving Brook open. Give Rhody man credit as an assist.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Flopping girly-mons = An angry Dude. A year and a half ago a guy clipped me from behind…hard enough to rip the cleat off my foot, but I continued towards the goal and still managed to get a shot off. The point?…There should be no place for diving in soccer. Diving is for lazy individuals…the ones that know they're clearly over matched, whether it be in just that moment or as a soccer player overall.
Now, I know Clint Dempsey has his moments and I also feel he complains a lot during games. He always seems to have a whiney face, but one of the things I do admire about him is that when the World Cup rolls around it takes a Mack Truck to take him out. He always ends up bloodied during the World Cup…can't explain it, but he continues to play and fight through it. It happened in South Africa and again in Brazil.
I like players who don't go off unless it's on the stretcher (concussion related injury is an exception).
Pele wasn't just a a great player because he scored and won world cups…he also use to play in bare feet when he was growing up. Now that's impressive.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I blame the flipping on the officials. If they stopped calling it; players would adjust. The way the game is called now; players look for pressure/contact and go down to win the set piece. Very different game than I grew up playing.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think the refs are consciously rewarding floopers. It's a big field and there are 20 guys running around it. They are outnumbered, and they can't see everything clearly. With the benefit of replay and looking closely, you can see obvious flops, but lots of times they may only see the play peripherally, or they may be 50 yards away and partially blocked, etc.

FIFA should be suspending players who flip, though. They do have the benefit of looking at the plays closely on replay. They shouldn't just consider it "part of the game."
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As a non-soccer fan/follower I have what may be a dumb question but...why only 3 officials to cover all that ground?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

The flopping is bad but the laying on the field after it is worse. If a player stays down and causes a delay in the game he should be sent off until the next stoppage. The ref should be able to wave this off if he thinks the player is actually hurt.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

It can be difficult at times for officials to see everything. There are some instances though, like the Brazil opening match against Croatia where you get these really bogus penalty calls after a guy falls in the box with very little influence.
I do however have to credit some of the other officials I've watched over the last few days with not calling frivolous flops in the box since then.

On a different note…
Costa Rica beat Italy. I went outside to check if there were flying pigs in the sky just to make sure I wasn't losing it. Glad teams like Mexico, Costa Rica, and U.S.A. are doing well so far. It makes other places and people around the world have a little more respect for CONCACAF and its consistently improving level of competition. I think MLS has a lot to do with that. You find a lot of guys on CONCACAF national squads are getting good minutes on MLS club teams.

Also on a side note:
Revs are playing the Rochester Rhinos at Brown on Wednesday night in a U.S. Open Cup Game.
(I'll probably be there…finishing up a game with my fellow pick-up soccer buddies before hand. We'll be putting on a clinic to show them how it's really done…. :P haha, jk, little humor.)
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/schedul ... os-june-25
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Big soccer fan here, sad that England dropped out. Many players from my favorite club were on that squad.

The problem with soccer in the USA is that simply the tier 1 athletes never choose soccer. The very best players on the current US team are fringe players in the top leagues (England, Germany, Spain). Given Altidore was perhaps the worse player in the PL last year, and Dempsey failing at Fulham, I dunno that anyone on the team could get minutes in the Premier League next year.

Now, US punches above it's weight in international competitions because it's not run as a cobbled together all-star squad with little consideration beyond playing the 11 most talented guys. But what we really need is some big US forward to have success in the Champions league to give soccer a chance in America.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Sure hope they come away with at least a point today.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wonder if the team is following the USA or Cameron?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

EGram wrote:Big soccer fan here, sad that England dropped out. Many players from my favorite club were on that squad.

The problem with soccer in the USA is that simply the tier 1 athletes never choose soccer. The very best players on the current US team are fringe players in the top leagues (England, Germany, Spain). Given Altidore was perhaps the worse player in the PL last year, and Dempsey failing at Fulham, I dunno that anyone on the team could get minutes in the Premier League next year.

Now, US punches above it's weight in international competitions because it's not run as a cobbled together all-star squad with little consideration beyond playing the 11 most talented guys. But what we really need is some big US forward to have success in the Champions league to give soccer a chance in America.
the only problem with your statement is that Geoff Cameron is in the premier league and has started almost every game the last 2 seasons
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I was speechless when Portugal scored. We were a minute away from advancing to the last 16. That last play was very impressive and left me in shock. Still though we came away with a point, played a very good game, and have a very good chance to advance. The game against Germany will now be an even cooler story with advancing on the line and the Klinsmann connection. I'm excited for Thursday.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

twisted3829 wrote: the only problem with your statement is that Geoff Cameron is in the premier league and has started almost every game the last 2 seasons

I honestly forgot he played for stoke. It easy to forget they exist unless your team is playing them. Tim Howard too obviously although Everton is much better.

Still, a few guys playing for mostly relegation battlers won't move the needle. current players are not the problem. It'
s the fact that it's guys who would be the be best US players could be working at best buy or pro-basketball/football.

Was a great match vs Portugal, I really though we had it
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EGram wrote:Big soccer fan here, sad that England dropped out. Many players from my favorite club were on that squad.

Dempsey failed at Fulham? In his first season he scored a key goal that kept them from being relegated. He holds their records for most goals in Premier League play, both all time and single season. In 2011-12 he was fourth in the voting for best footballer in England, and he had 72 goals between Fulham and Spurs. He also scored big goals in the Europa League while he was with Fulham. Dempsey's time in England was without question a huge success, and he's probably the most successful American player ever, non goalkeeper division, when it comes to play abroad.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I was talking about Fulham last season, obviously he was great for them in the past.

Getting back to the world cup, Suarez just bit an Italian. What is wrong with him?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

"That's a spicy a mea-t-ball!" - Suarez
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As a non-soccer fan the biting incident today and drama afterwards was the most fun I had watching soccer ever.

I'm kidding of course...kind of...I've actually really enjoyed the World Cup this time around, but man that was hilarious/crazy today.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
The Dude
Tom Garrick

twisted3829 wrote:

the only problem with your statement is that Geoff Cameron is in the premier league and has started almost every game the last 2 seasons
What???
1) Dempsey went on loan to Fulham to stay fit for only a couple months. He wasn't there all season. Plus, one man doesn't fix a bad team. Prior to his move to MLS he played for Tottenham Hotspur where he performed well, but missed a bunch of games due to injury. Prior to that he scored 21 goals for Fulham and 15 of which were in the English Premiere League. Dempsey finished fourth on the FWA Footballer of the Year list behind the winner, Arsenal's Robin van Persie, and Manchester United pair Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes, who came in second and third, respectively.

2) Bradley 2011-2012 starter for Chievo (35 appearances). Then in 2012-2013 frequent starter for AS Roma (30 appearances). Then 2013-2014 had 11 appearances for AS Roma who finished 2nd in Serie A this year until deciding to transfer to Toronto FC.

3) Fabian Johnson starts at Hoffenheim (think he starts) who finished 9th out of 18 teams in the Bundesliga this year (top German League). Next year he will be playing of the 6th place side Borussia Mönchengladbach.

4) Geoff Cameron starts at consistently at right back for Stoke, who finished in the top half of the 20 team table at 9th place.

5) Jozy Altidore lit up the Eredivisie (top Dutch League) in 2013…helped AZ to lift the Dutch Cup for the first time in 31 years. Altidore became the first-ever American to be named in De Telegraaf's "Team of the Season" after finishing with 23 goals in the Eredivisie and 8 in the KNVB Cup. This year he played for Sunderland. Sunderland is a bad team with very poor play. Every analyst in the Premier League and on ESPN said his lack of production had more to do with the poor style of play by Sunderland as a whole and not so much to do with Altidore.

6) Aaron Johannsson starts at AZ Alkmaar (finished 8th out of 18 teams this year) in the Eredivisie (top Dutch League) and scored 20 goals for AZ this year.

7) Tim Chandler played for FC Nürnberg since 2011. In the 2011-2012 and 2012-2103 seasons the team placed 10th out of 18 teams in the Bundesliga (top German League). This past year they finished second to last. He started 19 games (played 21) for FC Nurnberg this past season and has already transferred to better team (13th place Eintracht Frankfurt).

8)Mix Diskerud plays/starts for Rosenborg (top Norwegian League) and had 26 appearances this past season 2013 (seasons run March - November).

9) Brad Guzan is starting goal keeper for AC Milan in English Premier League. Enough said.

10) Tim Howard is the starting goal keeper for Everton in the English Premier League and arguable the best keeper in the Premier League. Enough said.

11) John Brooks plays for Hertha Berlin (finished 11th in top German League) and started 14 matches and played in 16 matches this past season.

Fringe players? Hardly.
I do agree that many of the best athletes in the U.S. still chose other sports. I would contest though that there are also many athletically gifted players that probably wouldn't hack it when it comes to the mental aspect of soccer. Yes, soccer has a ways to go in the U.S. but seems to be gathering a lot of momentum over the last 5 years.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Dude, you are off base EGRam. Saying the best athletes leave Soccer for other sports in their teen years is lazy man's analysis. Look at Jozy Altidore and then look at Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, etc and tell me who looks like a better "athlete". Jozy, case closed. It's the tactical skill our players historically have lacked in comparison to Europeans, driven mostly by their superior development system. It's the difference of being groomed by your friends dad who coaches your Little League team, or having the NY Yankees sign you at 12 years old and develop you themselves with the know-how, resources and sophistication that comes along with that. Almost all soccer pundits agree that the US gets by on athleticism and superior fitness, compared to their European counterparts. So that argument holds no weight, if we want to be a true world cup contender we have to up our technical and tactical abilities, and folks like Klinsmann are moving us in that direction. Our 2014 team would beat our 1998 team by 5-0, tactically we are superior to where we were in the past...it just will take some time and further development and moving more young players through a more sophisticated development system.

Also as far as Dempsey, did you miss the season where he came in 4th for Best Player in the Premier League. He then got transferred to Tottenham where he had an ok season, but was largely overshadowed by Gareth Bale who had a monster year. His spell at Fulham last year was just to get some conditioning in at top level, its impossible to draw many conclusions from that. I do think that for the future of US soccer though that our best players should be playing their club soccer overseas....luckily The Dude rattled off a bunch who already are and are lynchpins to our future (Brooks, Johnson, Altidore, Cameron, Green). Bradley has to get back over there as well.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great points by the Dude in taking on the negativism towards the US Team.
Tomorrow is going to be very exciting with US vs Germany at 12pm EDT.
US needs an outright win or a tie to move on in Brazil.
Even if the US loses we still have a shot as explained in the attachment.
Germany is very talented and will certainly be favored but the US guys have played well up to now.
Really looking forward to tomorrow!!!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soc ... world-cup/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have called tomorrow a Holiday and I am not even in the Country this week!! Everybody else does it :D :D

http://online.wsj.com/articles/world-cu ... 1403706187
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice article about Geoff Cameron in today's projo. I did not know that he originally wanted to go to PC but PC did not think he was good enough so he ended up going yo West Virginia. Pc's loss turned out to be a humongous gain for URI once he transferred here from wvu.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Geoff Cameron and his US Teammates truly on the World Stage today versus Germany - huge game
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Ok people…here is your "get out of work note" courtesy of the U.S. National Team. You may want to add to the note that upon returning to work your company moral and productivity will most likely improve as a result. haha.
Attachments
10434241_10152414132013941_3038095853484115757_n.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cameron out of the starting lineup today, replaced by Gonzalez.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

People who know (and that is certainly not me) are saying he's likely hurt.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he looked exhausted at the end of the last game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Look for him tomorrow.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

And Jozy

0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i suspect Altidore may be a second half sub
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I suspect the same. I would think it would be late around the 80th minute or not maybe not at all…depending on if they are leading or losing. If the U.S. is winning late in the game, I don't see him coming in. If the U.S. is losing or tied, I see him coming in.
U.S.A!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Geoff Cameron starting today.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Geoff Cameron starting today.
At midfield? Very defensive formation....
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he plays mid field and defense for stoke (played mid at URI)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, but for this group it is a very defensive lineup. It did seem we played more forward overall than I anticipated but did it well enough that I'm comfortable keeping that approach in the second half.

I do think Cameron will probably come off at some point since he would have to go almost one hundred minutes with a yellow should he stay on. Wouldn't be shocked to see Beckerman at some point in this coming 45 minutes.
0 x