NBA Draft

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ace
Ernie Calverley

NBA Draft

Unread post by ace »

This lottery process is soooo drawn out. Get on with it already.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: NBA Draft

Unread post by STC »

Ughhhhhhhhhh 6th overall!!!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Great night for the Cavs, the Bucks, the Sixers and Mallory Edens. Bad night for the Celtics, Lakers and Pelicans.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow Celts got 6th pick? Boo.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ready for the wheel. The lottery is the worst thing in sports.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

3 and 10. I'll take it!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote:Ready for the wheel. The lottery is the worst thing in sports.
No wheel, ever!!!! There are so many other things the NBA could do that would be better than the wheel. People would have been happy with the lottery this year, if it was a team other than Cleveland or New Orleans that got the top pick. My suggestion for the NBA would be to draw for all 14 teams, rather than just the 3 lottery teams. Pheonix had less than a 2% chance of moving out of the 14th spot this year. I think the best thing they could do for the lottery, is simplify the percentages, and immagine the interest, seeing the ping pong balls fly live on ESPN. Just give Team 14 14 ping pong balls, and Team 1 1. Drop them all into the device. Have 1 shoot out. That team gets pick 14, etc. It would feel more legitimate, than something that happens behind closed doors. It also gives teams better odds for better picks, even if they push for the playoffs. I would prefer a system anything like that because it would be a slight, yet effective tweak to the system, rather than some of these crazy ideas for the wheel (Imagine if over the past 3 years, it was Miami's turn for the #1 pick; or imagine if this year Boston had pick #30, and next year it was pick #18, and they were trying to get a big player like Love?) or a mini-lottery tournament.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The wheel is maybe the smartest idea in the history of sports, which is why not enough people will support it, naturally. There should be no incentive to be bad, ever. And teams shouldn't be punished for finishing closer to the middle than the bottom of the standings. The wheel is the fairest solution and allows for the most certainty in planning.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The problem with the wheel is that it keeps the bad teams bad. Teams don't want to be bad. The Bucks were going to be really bad this year regardless of the lottery, and they also have 0.0% at a top-tier free agent. Their only ticket to becoming good is to land a top talent, or two, via the draft. So if you say "This year you get pick 25-30," that guarantees they are bad for basically another 2 seasons. You need at least two "transformative" players to have a chance in the NBA and since Miami, LA, NY, even the Texas teams, they can draw these players in free agency, now you want to give them another one they can have cheap control over for 5 years? That's my problem with the wheel. If the NBA were not a league where prime free agent destinations didn't consist of 5 locations (and were more like the NFL where other factors were at play), the wheel could work. But the wheel would just make the rich richer, and the poor poorer, IMHO.

I do agree with you though, that teams shouldn't be punished for being middle-of-the-road, which happens moreso in the NBA than any other sports. That is why I would like to see amendments to the draft lottery system that would give them better odds at top picks, and even the ability to move into slots other than their own or the Top 3.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You're only looking at it in a very small window. Over the course of decades, everything will even out and well-run teams will (teams that draft well) will have an advantage. All of the realistic proposals would start the wheel after all currently traded draft picks have been used and the initial order would be based at least somewhat on record. So teams will have plenty of time to prepare for the new format and the worst team won't be positioned furthest from the #1 pick at the outset. The best thing about the wheel is that every team in the league gets a top-6 pick every five years so nobody should ever be hopelessly bad if they can draft well.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That's fair, but start fresh with the wheel under any circumstances. The worst team in 2018 will need a reboot, and likely have no signifcant players of "superstar" value. A bad team in the new system can get a nice little piece year 1, but year 2 + 3, they are all but guaranteed picks in the 2nd half of the draft. Even if those players end up being decent (which is rare in the NBA), they are still closer to a bottom 10 team in the league, than a "championship contender." It won't be until they get that 2nd piece that they have a chance to make a run for the title, but by that time, will the first superstar even still be there? Hypothetically, you get Jabari Parker this year, and your next Top 6 pick is in 2020, the year after his contract expires. Does he stay with you in Milwaukee, or cash out and go to LA? or NY?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To address what you've just said, they've also floated the idea that teams could pick their starting place in year 1, so they could opt to start in a place on the wheel that has the best 3-pick run to start, or they could choose to take a worse pick this year and a better pick next year if they don't like the current draft class. Lots of interesting scenarios, which I think is part of the fun. I think the main selling point for me, though, is that you just can't have teams incentivized to be horrible.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Cleveland has had the top pick in 3 out of the last four years.....how's that working out?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Joel Embiid's foot and back are stressing me out. Before all that, I though Wiggins was going third, and life would be good. As good as it can get for the Sixers, anyway. Despite his fantastic accent, Exum scares me.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Seeing Semaj Christon earning the No. 55 spot makes me think EC Matthews has a great chance of getting drafted when he is ready. Many similarities between these two.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:Joel Embiid's foot and back are stressing me out. Before all that, I though Wiggins was going third, and life would be good. As good as it can get for the Sixers, anyway. Despite his fantastic accent, Exum scares me.
The Sixers may be pretty bad once again next year, but I think they're in great shape going forward, provided Embiid makes a full recovery.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree on EC Mathews. He has a great chance to be drafted and to make it in the NBA. Good height at 6'5", long arms, good quickness, good shooter while driving the lane or taking the 3 or free throws, runs the floor well, very good passer, sees the court well always has his head up. EC has it all. I see him as a future 1st round selection.

Good selections by the Celtics:
Many had Marcus Smart going higher than the Celtics 6th pick. Smart is not the greatest outside shooter for sure but he brings a lot to the table.
James Young was a steal at #17. Some had projected him at #10 or higher. Youngest player in the first round. Very good shooter. Got stronger as his freshman year progressed.

PC Fans thought Bryce Cotton would go in the Draft. I saw draft rankings that had him in the high 90's or worse. Likely an overseas career.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
ace wrote:Joel Embiid's foot and back are stressing me out. Before all that, I though Wiggins was going third, and life would be good. As good as it can get for the Sixers, anyway. Despite his fantastic accent, Exum scares me.
The Sixers may be pretty bad once again next year, but I think they're in great shape going forward, provided Embiid makes a full recovery.
If he's healthy, it's a great pick. Unless they have specific medical knowledge, it's a crap shoot at that spot.

Tho' not a PC fan, I was disappointed that Bryce Cotton wasn't picked. I really think he'd do well in the NBA in the right situation.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm ok with the Embiid pick. It's a risk but a good enough one, I think. Pairing that pick with another first round guy who can't play for a couple years is rough, though. And then I think they went and drafted all of Serbia in the second round. I think I'll just pretend that Noel was their pick this year.

But yeah, I don't mind the strategy. I just don't see how anyone buys tickets for next season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

EC is a much better shooter than Christon.
Not a big fan of Smart.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I think Smart will be fine if they use him alongside Rondo, and not as a replacement. If the C's move Rondo and turn the keys over to Smart, then it could be a disaster. If Smart's shooting has improved as much as the C's think it has, he could be a nice player.
Also, saw a tweet last night saying that Smart isn't a bad shooter, he just took a lot of dumb shots last year. It's on Stevens to correct that.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you're already inclined to not like the pick, think how much you guys who are both Celtic and Rhody fans would dislike the Smart selection if Terrell was still going to OSU.

I read the same thing on Smart, that he was trying to prove so hard that he's a shooter that it affected shot selection.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was thinking that Terrell was at least in the fall,
pegged to be Smart's successor.
Their game is somewhat similar, as is the body type.
I'm not crazy about Smart's attitude, which cost his team dearly
last season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He forced up an incredible amount of Vince Carter hero shots. The same shots Vince rarely makes.

Any word on Xavier Munford???? Talking about Cotton but not X? Summer league team?

I hope X does some time or even Delroy in the D league instead of over seas. Guys seem to be building some value in the Dleague these days.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Tough for players to opt for the D-League and $30,000 salaries. Can make 10 times that overseas.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are some comparable stats:
Smart
2012 15.9ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, 3.0 spg, 40.4 fg%, 77.7 ft%, 29.0 3 point%
2013 18.0ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.8 apg, 2.9 spg, 42.2 fg%, 72.8 ft%, 29.9 3 point%

Munford
2012 17.4ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg, 39.4 fg%, 71.4 ft%, 34.3 3 point%
2013 16.9ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.1 spg, 40.2 fg%, 70.7 ft%, 32.6 3 point%

Rondo
2012 5.6 rpg, 11.1 apg, 1.8 spg, 48.4 fg%, 64.5 ft%, 24.0 3 point%
did not count last year due to injuries
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wait. You're comparing Rondo's NBA stats to Smart's NCAA ones?
And what does X have to do with it?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

What? One of things is not like the others.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know euro guys from here are making more there. I also know there are much more D-league guys making rosters and feel good stories these days.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Generally, the D-League is a good decision if you're seen as a guy who could get an NBA contract when someone gets injured. Like, if you're the 16th or 17th man, one of the last cuts from training camps. Otherwise though, the money and perks (free lodgings) are much better in Europe. In the next five years, the NBA is believed to be pushing toward more of a true minor league system, with a 1-to-1 affiliate to pro team setup, which might also allow for things like larger roster sizes and a move back to a 3 or 4 round draft. If and when they do that, you're likely to see the pay trickle up and less players going to Europe.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I think the D League does have prospects. The Celtics have sent legit players to Maine. And some guys are just keeping faint hopes afloat.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramblinrose wrote:I think the D League does have prospects. The Celtics have sent legit players to Maine. And some guys are just keeping faint hopes afloat.
The Celtics own their minor league affiliate I believe, whereas some NBA teams either don't have a D-League association, or they split a team with another franchise.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
PC Fans thought Bryce Cotton would go in the Draft. I saw draft rankings that had him in the high 90's or worse. Likely an overseas career.
Sometimes you are so ignorant Ramster, and it's amazing because sometimes you have such a good perspective. While you saw draft rankings that had him in the high 90s or worse, many experts, including guys like Chad Ford and Gary Parrish, had him being drafted. Now I don't believe in draft prognostications because they are more wrong than right, but PC fans did not grab this stuff out of thin air. Cotton actually had very strong pre-draft workouts, including the best 3 point shooting performance in Sacramento history, the 2nd best sprint workout for the Celtics, and a 46" verticle in one workout (with 44" in 2 others). 46" of course is the Combine record. The thing that killed Cotton is that his pre-draft measurements were weak as expected. Think he came in a little above 5'11" w/o shoes, and was killed by not getting an invite to the Combine. Despite going undrafted, both the Spurs and Mavs are looking to sign Cotton to a FA contract after July 1st which would invite him to Training Camp, essentially the same as being drafted in the 2nd round. As of this moment, he will be on the Spurs summer league team pending contracts.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I thought Cotton had a 50/50 chance of being drafted, great player just size hurts him
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What's any of this thread got to do with Lebron James?
Anyone watching Sports Center Thursday night, would know that the
sole purpose of the draft was Lebron James's newest decision.
"There will never be another Leron James", cried Steve Levy as he wet his pants
just thinking about Lebron.
It's all Lebron 24/7, 365 days! It might have been about RGlll, but he's not exactly the Savior ESPN
was hoping he'd be. Tebow and Farve are gone. There's still Peyton, but he's kind of tarnished after
the Super Bowl. Tiger Woods is finished. So, it's Lberon!
Now, let us genuflect and say our prayers to Lebron James.
ESPN's worship service begins at 11:00 nightly.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Funny, Rod. Agree totally.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I really admire the player and person that is Bryce Cotton......I think he is at least on par with Shabazz Napier....hopefully he gets a chance to stick with an NBA team.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Rod. Johnny Football is the next ESPN darling.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

11:24am: The deal is expected to be formally signed on Wednesday, Charania writes in his full piece, and since minimum-salary contracts are some of the few that can become official during the July moratorium, that suggests that Cotton is indeed getting the minimum. Several teams offered to draft him if he agreed to play overseas next season, but he rejected those entreaties, according to Charania, who identified the Mavs as another team that had interest. The second season is fully guaranteed if he makes the team out of training camp, Charania adds, presumably referring to this year’s training camp.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/spur ... otton.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Happy for Bryce. Great accomplishment. Hopefully he sticks around the Association for a long time.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The Spurs probably have the greatest chance of helping him realize his maximum potential, with the caveat that it's a very competitive roster. Still, the fact that he's getting a contract this early and before summer league really starts up is a good sign for him.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Started watching ESPN's First Take Show at 10AM. Strangely, they're talking about LeBron (28 minutes worth).Unbelievable.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good deal for the Celts picking up a pick and some expiring deals for nothing (trade exception) this morning.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's all about Lebron! According to ESPN, Lebron is the reason we can
breathe, and why birds can fly, and why he is the way, the truth and the light.
What they're saying on Boston radio is, the Celts need assets to trade to
Minnesota for Kevin Love, and the Cavs needed to clear cap space for
The Divine One to come to Cleveland.
When people sneeze at ESPN, whoever is near them says,
"Lebron bless you!"
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think that Cleveland clearly dealt Jack to clear cap space for Lebron. I don't know that the Celt's involvement had anything to do with Love, it was just a chance to grab some assets for nothing (1st rd pick and an expiring contract).

One of the few things you and I have in common is a weariness of the Lebron oversaturation. And I really, really dislike him. But it is a fact of life that everything about this NBA offseason really is about Lebron. As annoying as it is.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't think Lebron James is a bad person. Quite the opposite.
He just does and says things that irritate.
The attention he gets from ESPN only adds to the disdain many feel toward him.
And I couldn't care less what you and I have in common.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Haha Ok.....as long as you never have to cop to agreeing with me about something.

Anyways, point is that as annoying as ESPN's unending focus on Lebron is, this is one of the few instances where it is actually justified. Landscape of the entire league will be altered depending on where he ends up this summer.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Now I'm reading that the Cavs are telling James that they can land Love
if Lebron signs with them.
It's like dominoes. As soon as Lebron makes Decision ll, a whole lot of other
signings and trades will take place.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well that would be interesting. But am I the only one who just can't see Lebron going back there after the reaction when he left? Any way to unburn a jersey?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018