NBA Draft

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: NBA Draft

Unread post by bigappleram »

Buddy at ESPN claiming Lebron to Cleveland to be announced tonight. Wasn't 100% on it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:Buddy at ESPN claiming Lebron to Cleveland to be announced tonight. Wasn't 100% on it.
Supposedly there are/were moving trucks at LBJ's house in Miami. Not sure how good that info is, either. Don't see why he'd have to move today but you know how the internet is.....
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lebron is from Akron, Ohio so it is not too surprising to see him return home. I was actually surprised when he left Cleveland inthe first place.
Meanwhile, nice trade today by the Celtics obtaining yet another future 1st round draft selection.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Celtics have positioned themselves pretty well for a long game here. Best case for them and shortest route to a turnaround would be if Lebron goes back to Miami. If that happens look for the Celtics to try to send up to four first round picks, one of their good young players plus expiring contracts (maybe Brandon Bass plus Marcus Thornton who they picked up in the deal today) to Minny for Love. I know fans love the idea of bringing Love in and pairing him with Rondo, but to me if you give both of those guys max money you aren't winning a championship and you'll have to if you want either here past next season.

On the other hand, if Lebron goes to Cleveland and Love ends up there with him, the Cavs will likely be good for some time, and Boston can delay taking Cleveland's pick until 2019, when it will no longer be protected. The Celtics could deal Rondo for yet more picks, but it almost seems more likely to me that they would let Rondo, Bass and Thornton play out their deals next year and free up about $30M in cap space. With that space, a bevy of picks and Gerald Wallace and Jeff Green's expiring deals on hand, they could be a major factor in some sort of free agent/trade overhaul to add to nice core of their two rookies, Bradly, Sullinger and Olynek (who at one time I laughed at but am starting to believe can be a decent player on a playoff team). That five isn't very formidable by itself, but inject a star or two and move a couple of those guys to the bench and hit on another draft pick, you have the makings of a nice rotation that could contend quickly in a weak Eastern Conference.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think the world of Kevin Love as a player.
However, I would not trade four number ones for him.
The Celtics don't have the surrounding pieces to be a real contender.
Sure, they could make the playoffs, but so what?
I don't get signing Bradley for the contract he got.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

The internet is a crazy place.

Celtics have an embarrassment of riches, and I think they should use some of that to go get an impact player. Lots of draft picks are missed, especially in the NBA where GM's draft for potential - use the picks to get a proven player.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree, Andrew, but FOUR number ones?
Who besides Lebran and Durant would be worth that?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man, as a web producer myself in a very similar industry, you have no idea what a huge screw up that is. Even if it ends up being nothing, you never prep something like that in a spot where people can find it publicly.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Adam, you're a web producer?
Do you get a lot of requests from Spiderman?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Adam, you're a web producer?
Do you get a lot of requests from Spiderman?
Haha yes, I am his exclusive provider.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Someone else had uncovered that Nike was buying up billboards in Cleveland.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Seems others are having trouble verifying the hex color issue, but it seems odd to tweet that information if it's made up or false. Deadspin has a big thing on yes/no/maybe Lebron theories - it's entertaining.
And Rod, maybe not 4 ones, but we have plenty of options and room to negotiate. It's pretty clear that Ainge is a great wheeler-and-dealer; he fleeced Brooklyn.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100%, Andrew.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I kind of understand the ESPN obsession with Lebron, in that he and Kevin Durant are probably the league's only players that can single-handedly carry a bad roster into the playoffs, and possibly further. Check out that Cleveland roster that made the finals - It's shockingly bad in hindsight. But at a certain point, I think they confusion their saturation coverage of an issue, and viewers being forced to watch it, with viewers actually liking and endorsing it.

If the Celtics can get Love to agree to an extension, then I'm fine with them trading four 1s to get him. In a way, they're only a chance to get a franchise talent - Sometimes like the 2014 draft, you get a couple consensus potential franchise talents. Sometimes, like the 2013 draft, everyone sucks and there's a chance none of the 64 players drafted will ever make it. Love does have some issues; he's probably an average defender at best. But his offensive game is so good, and taller players tend to hold their value better than guards.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wish I were friends with Drew Magary. He is the best.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Those pants are great for "Casual Friday."
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If true, ESPN will hold a moment of silence for their faves, The Miami Heat.

John Martin ‏@JohnMartin929 4m
OFFICIAL. Lebron to Cavs. RT @SI_LeeJenkins: LeBron: ”I’m coming home.“ @SINow exclusive in the words of @KingJames: http://bit.ly/1zu0IHz
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

At last, our long national nightmare is over.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Actually I have friends in Cleveland, and I'm happy for them.
That city needs a winner. Not sure if Lebron is enough for the Cavs,
but he'll give them some hope of a championship.
ESPN will have a moment of silence for their favorite team The Miami Heat.
Last night they signed off Sports Center with the anchor saying,
"Lebron is flying back to Miami with Dwayne Wade. You all know what
that means", accompanied with a knowing look.
HA! HA! HA!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Lebron plus Irving, Waiters and Wiggins, is probably a better roster at this point than Miami, where Bosh is still an all-star player but Wade is decaying quickly and the rest of the roster is pretty bad. I think the Cavs have room to sign one more guy as well, depending on when they ink Irving to an extension.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah Lebron already dragged a D-League roster to one finals. This Cleveland team is way more talented than the one he left, and this is without Love who is likely on the way there.

I've always disliked Lebron, but he won some goodwill from me. You have to have something inside you that I respect to walk away from away from the glitz and the sunshine in Miami to go back to the rustbelt because you feel a connection and responsibility to your hometown. I'd really like to see the people in Cleveland get a championship, so I guess I'll be rooting for Lebron to help them get it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Strange, huh?
I think Bosh will now go to Houston.
Pat Reilly is a basketball genius, so I'm sure Miami will quickly rebuild
and be a contender.
Remember, Reilly won with Wade, Lamar and Shaq before The Big Three.
The bad part as a Celtics fan is, all this remains in the East, as Melo will
likely stay in NY.
Now we'll see those 4th of July explosions Danny Ainge said would happen this summer.
What's the over/under on Rondo staying?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Now that it's official, I sure hope someone on ESPN mentions it...
0 x