Patriots win, but lose

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Patriots win, but lose

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, the Patriots pulled another one out of their ass today, but this one is going to cost them.

Forget the Super Bowl, Gronk is likely out for the year.

Without him, their magic will run out at some point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Patriots win, but lose

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You saw what a difference Gronk made in the Pat's attack.
Nobody comes close.
Now, he's gone for the season. I think the Pat's Superbowl hopes
went with him.
Sad for Gronk, and this one was such a needless injury.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gronk's overall health profile now worries me quite a bit. I don't think you can count on him ever really being healthy. I'm sure the Pats were probably already going to draft a tight end, given what happened to the other guy they were counting on coming into the season, but I think going forward you just have to assume that Gronk is only going to give you half a season, at best.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well. look at how he got hurt, and tell me that is it some
flaw in Rob Gronkowski that made it happen.
I don't care who it was. They were not going to not get injured
by what happened on that play.A helmut to the knee delivered
at full speed by a Browns player.
Give me a break! It's got nothing to do with "his health profile".
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The Pats defense is getting worse by the week. No speed at linebacker, poor angles by db's and a lack of communication in the secondary.
I'm glad they won. But, I was thinking as they scored the game winning td that they left too much time on the clock. If the Browns had another 10 seconds, they probably would have won.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They were lucky. The pass interference penalty was a joke. Yes, if the Browns had time for one more play, they would have won.

Too many times lately, these games are decided by the guys in the striped shirts, on borderline calls.

They need to keep their whistles in their pockets more often, and let them play.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Well. look at how he got hurt, and tell me that is it some
flaw in Rob Gronkowski that made it happen.
I don't care who it was. They were not going to not get injured
by what happened on that play.A helmut to the knee delivered
at full speed by a Browns player.
Give me a break! It's got nothing to do with "his health profile".
That fact that it's a freak injury doesn't change that it's now injury Xth for Gronk, and that it's going to affect both his future performance and his future health.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

On the pass interference play, the Browns player had his hands on the receiver's
face mask and was draped on his back.
That's a penalty.
As for Gronk, he's not afraid to do the work needed to rehab. Lots of ACLs
in sports, and the same number of players who come back 100% from them.
It's not like the 60's and 70's, where so many injures affected careers or ended them.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I also thought the interference penalty was legit. We've seen a lot worse called through the years. I also liked the call on the hit on Edelmann after he scored. He was in a vulnerable position. For years they've let receivers get banged in the end zone after they've already scored.
The injury to Gronk is really going to hurt this team. Just too many freakin injuries to key people this year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I disagree on the Edelman TD "defenseless' penalty. So he catches the ball and gets hit before he completes a few steps to establish his presence in the end zone. Why can't the defenders try to pop him in the chest to make the ball squirt out?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You guys can't be serious that the pass interference call was legit. Come on...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The officials should only make that call at that point in the game, if it was obvious.

It was borderline at best.

There have been so many last minute judgement calls this year in the NFL. More than ever.

They need to make their officials full time. They are making way too many mistakes.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The pass interference call was BS, but I'll take it.

I thought the Edelman penalty was legit.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Edelman was either down or on his way. He couldn't have avoided the hit. That makes him defenseless. I agree about defenders having a right to knock the ball loose. It's similiar to when QB's take a slide and the defender has already committed. It's not always fair.
To my old eyes, the Bryce penalty did look legit. The defender was draped on him, or, so it appeared. But, it's only my opinion. I could see neither being called.
Being a former wide receiver, I've always thought a penalty should be called whenever a DB is within 5 yards of the receiver. I don't think that will happen, though. lol
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pats D sucking big wind again today.

How is this team 10-3? Brady can save their ass during the regular season, but without Gronk they're toast in the postseason. Home field or not.

Pats only chance is bad weather throughout playoffs. Brady is the best QB EVER in bad weather. Don't know how he does that, but they can outscore anybody in the snow.

If they somehow get to the SB, and it snows like they're predicting, they'll win it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Craptastic to give up that 4th down convert AND the sloppy TD with defender never seeing the ball.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

One and done in the playoffs this year. Their defense will easily be the worst of all the teams. (I think they're the worst now.)
Injuries have to catch up to them. The problems on D aren't getting any better this year. Hightower sucks. Dennard is too short (and not that good). Gregory, who stunk in SD is stinking here. He reacts slowly and seldom takes the right angle to the ball. If Arrington has to play the outside corner, it's an instant TD. Added to the problem is the horrible year the offensive line is having. And now, even they're effected by injuries.
Of course, if they had all their key injured players back, it would be different.
The only chance, IMO, for a win in the playoffs is if Brady has the ball at the end of the game.
I hate to use injuries as an excuse for any teams, but, this year I think it's legit for the Pats.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The AFC is a crapshoot this year. Any of the top 4-5 teams could make the SB.

None of them are as good as the best in the NFC. The Super Bowl? Who knows? If the Pats were to make it, how about the Seahawks, 49ers, or Saints in the snow in Jersey?

The great equalizer.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That last Dolphins drive was a defensive joke.
They just drove down the field, as if they were playing
against nobody.
Can't really expect Brady to save then every week, especially with the limited
recievers he has.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:The AFC is a crapshoot this year. Any of the top 4-5 teams could make the SB.

None of them are as good as the best in the NFC. The Super Bowl? Who knows? If the Pats were to make it, how about the Seahawks, 49ers, or Saints in the snow in Jersey?

The great equalizer.
This is probably the thinking of all the AFC teams right now. It's hard to see any of them winning a couple games in a row to make the Super Bowl, but someone is going to. I wouldn't even be surprised if the bum team in the No. 6 seed made the Super Bowl, like that year the Cardinals made it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What a gag job by the Cowboys. They and the Pats have great offenses, but they couldn't stop ME in crunch time.

Dez Bryant. What a piece of work. Walks out on his team after the last pick by Romo. Great talent, but not between the ears.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was at the game today, an above average receiver at the end would have won the game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Some here may sound the "Patriots Fan Bitching About the Officials" alarm, but so be it.

While I don't disagree with the non-calls, there were two plays in the last minute of the game where defensive pass interference could have been called on the Dolphins. I sincerely believe that if the Pats were at home, they would have got the call. It's getting to be a problem in the NFL... not that MY TEAM IS GETTING SCREWED!!!!111!!!!, but the fact that a penalty in crunch time is more likely to go your way at home. See last week's game vs the Browns or the Panthers game. Call me crazy, but a penalty is a penalty, regardless of location.

All that said, the Pats should have won this game.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote:Some here may sound the "Patriots Fan Bitching About the Officials" alarm, but so be it.

While I don't disagree with the non-calls, there were two plays in the last minute of the game where defensive pass interference could have been called on the Dolphins. I sincerely believe that if the Pats were at home, they would have got the call. It's getting to be a problem in the NFL... not that MY TEAM IS GETTING SCREWED!!!!111!!!!, but the fact that a penalty in crunch time is more likely to go your way at home. See last week's game vs the Browns or the Panthers game. Call me crazy, but a penalty is a penalty, regardless of location.

All that said, the Pats should have won this game.

This is an interesting post. I was thinking about the questionable calls we've been talking about this year and I think most- if not all- of them (Pats related) were in favor of the home team. Seems like the refs are afraid they won't make it to the locker room.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, that's definitely been the trend. I almost threw up in my mouth when Phil Simms said of that last play "that's pass interference but not at that time of the game!". WTF?!

The ONLY way to have the game officiated fairly for both teams is to stop worrying about time/situation and just call penalties that you see. Once you expect refs to also add in a "filter" based on time/situation, they are much more likely to just swallow the whistle.

Just call a penalty a penalty regardless of time, score, home or away. OK?!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

How does Simms keep his job? He gets worse every week. Yesterday, he broke his alltime record for dumbest things said in one game.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ramfan85 wrote:How does Simms keep his job? He gets worse every week. Yesterday, he broke his alltime record for dumbest things said in one game.
He's a very blatant Tom Brady buttboy too. Doesn't bother me, but if I wasn't a Pats fan it would probably drive me up a wall.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramfan85 wrote:How does Simms keep his job? He gets worse every week. Yesterday, he broke his alltime record for dumbest things said in one game.
Howard Cosell's criticism is even more valid today, in that former athletes are almost immediately hired and put on the air, as opposed to sort of working their way up from regional broadcasts. And even with the regional stuff, you've got, say, more Scott Zolaks instead of a j-school graduate.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Agree. We get Simms every week, it seems. In his opinion, Brady has never thrown a bad pass. It's always the receiver's fault.

Baltimore looked tough last night. I think they win (again) next Sunday.
The Pats are really limping into the playoffs.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

The Patriots defense is back to its normal form. Our defense is so bad its hard to watch. Why do we have to be SO bad on defense? Even with all the injuries, you can still be a mediocre defense.
Our secondary is the same as it was back in week one. I know they aren't 100%, but the bodies are there. Dennard looked pitiful on Sunday. He takes the worst angles to the ball and his guys were open most of the afternoon.
Arrington on the outside is just a waste of time. Put him in the slot where he belongs.
Talib has played okay since returning with the injury, but he was also playing inside Sunday on Clay so it doesn't impress me. I wanted him to cover Wallace. Maybe they're making his job a little easier so he stays healthy for the playoffs.
Hightower can't cover for the life of him. Unless its a run play he is useless. He's good at tackling, thats about it.
We have done this in the past, we go into the playoffs with a good offense and an awful defense and it hasn't gotten us a ring. Now, we have to go into the playoffs with a juggernaut offense and an awful defense. Hopefully things turn around.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not having Gronk is a killer in the red zone.

Kicking field goals won't get it done in the playoffs.

One and done is a real possibility this year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Not having Gronk is a killer in the red zone.

Kicking field goals won't get it done in the playoffs.

One and done is a real possibility this year.
Agree, although I'd say one-and-done is a real possibility for ANY team in the AFC. There's no favorite. Pats could lose in the first round or make the Super Bowl... and I think the same is true about any other AFC playoff team.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

All good points. When you consider the number of draft picks (many high) they've had over recent years, they should have much better depth. Maybe they should keep Belichick away from the draft. He's had some horrendous picks, especially with db's.
The offense, unfortunately, isn't nearly as strong as past years at this point.
I'm afraid to drive by the stadium... I might be asked to play tackle.

Isn't it nice to talk about something other than Hare and Murphy?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NFL refs are consistently the worst across all sports, and its not even close. I love when they routinely reviews plays and then still get them wrong anyway.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:NFL refs are consistently the worst across all sports, and its not even close. I love when they routinely reviews plays and then still get them wrong anyway.
I really do wonder how much of it is now 1) how high def the cameras are to reveal all of the mistakes refs are making and 2) how much faster the game is now vs. X years ago. It's hard to believe that refs from 15 to 20 years ago were better in any sport.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

They usually do pretty good and typically miss less than a handful of calls. Unfortunately those are the ones that stick out not the great job to see the receiver was inbounds or the runner did fumble just before he went down.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I think NBA refs are worse, but NFL blown calls normally have bigger impacts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

After watching the Pats game today at the Mews, are the refs really that bad?

It's gotten way out of hand. They look lost. The only thing keeping it from going totally nuts, is they at least try and get together and either uphold or reverse a call.

The Pats did play better defensively. Their linebackers played deeper and either tipped or intercepted Flacco a couple of times. Otherwise, it looked like the Ravens just sucked. No intensity, which is totally unlike them.

Not going to pronounce the Pats SB winners yet, though. Too many wacky results lately to do that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

You're right about the refs. They were beyond bad today. Every questioned call was reversed. I particularly love the pass intereference when Flaco got sacked. I guess they can't see everything.
Pats played well. Today's an example of why I don't bet on football. I thought they'd get killed. As usual, I was wrong. I'm glad they didn't abandon the run (as they've done so often this year). Always good to see them stick it to the Ravens.
I still think they days in the playoffs are limited. But, considering everything that happened this year, they have every reason to feel pretty good whenever their season ends. I know they won't, though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As a Pats fan, the only team I don't want to see them play
in the playoffs, is The Bengals.
Gotta love Blount. Best power back they've had since Cory Dillon.
That big with speed. Scary.
How about Aaron Rodgers? Amazing, clutch, brilliant, and anything else you can think of.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if the Bengals beat the Chargers, that's who the Pats will get.

That's not a sure thing. SD has had success against them, didn't they beat them earlier this year?

The conditions at Gillette were horrible yesterday. Blount may have singlehandedly saved that game for the Pats.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley's favorite team = Bengals.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

If they don't get McCourty and Dennard back, they're not beating anyone. Watching Arrington on the outside and Gregory at safety is truly painful.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

AFC is wide open. Anyone's to take at this point, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats are representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.
0 x
Go Rhody!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Dan Hurley's favorite team = Bengals.
Bengals are the dark horse in the AFC in my opinion. I'll be a little nervous if the Pats have to face them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Bengals at home would probably end the Pats' season, but seeing that it would be at Gillette I would expect the Pats to win.

The Bengals are like the Saints. Tough at home, mild on the road.

If it comes down to Pats at Denver for the right to go to the Super Bowl, I think it's Manning's turn this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Dan Hurley's favorite team = Bengals.
Did he tell you why they're his favorite team? That sounds like an odd choice for a Jersey guy.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup! He told me his father took him to a game.
One of the teams was the Bengals.
Dan said, he just liked their uniforms, so he's been a fan since.
I failed to ask if the game was in Cincy, when his father was
seriously thinking of working for Xavier?
Dan is also a big boxing fan.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Dan is Bengals, Bobby is Cowboys (I assume because of Giants rivals)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Well, the Pats did it again. It's amazing how they can keep losing key players and still win. Now, the punter's gone.
Did anyone hear the stupid comments from Dierdorff on the missed punt play?
He was upset that the punter didn't take a knee on the 1 yd. line instead of taking a safety. I think he's been hit in the head a few too many times.
0 x