Patriots win, but lose

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Patriots win, but lose

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Edelman saved the Pats season. He had over 100 catches.
That's why people want to see him come back, and that's
why other teams are after him.
Not to mention being the NFL's all time punt returning leader.
The guy brings and edge to his game, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Agree on Nicks, but think it could be worth trying on a one year "show me" deal. Still don't get the Revis comparison, though. You make it seem like he didn't fully recover and has lingering injury issues, but there is nothing to support that. He was totally misused in a zone scheme last year and was still the best corner in the league in terms of yards per play covered. There is no evidence that he was slowed at all by his injury in 2012, and even if there was he will be 2 years removed from it when the season starts.

Don't take the one year deal as evidence that he declined or that there are injury issues. He could have gotten a longer deal elsewhere, but wanted to play in NE. He never even looked for another deal: he was released and then signed with the Pats immediately. From his perspective, he didn't leave much money on the table; his deal in Tampa was essentially six rolling one year option deals, and his deal in NE is essentially a 2 yr/26M deal since the franchise number for CBs is going to be about 14M next year. 26M is the same guarantee that Talib got.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I expect Edelman to come back here. The market just isn't that big for slot receivers. Don't blame him one bit for testing the market. This is his big chance to get some decent money. His value goes beyond the slot. great return man. I love his attitude. Brady needs SOMEBODY he can count on. I'm not convinced any of the 3 rookie wr's from last year are the answer. hope I'm wrong.
With the Pats' offensive system, they had better bring in at least 1 good tight end who can catch and block. I love gronk, but he's always injured. (I'd love to hear why he's on the PAT team.)
I would have loved to see the Pats get Darren Sproles (K State). This would have been a perfect fit for him.
I'm hearing the Pats aren'y really interested in the free agent D-linemen, Peppers and Allen.
They are very interested in Browner, though. I'd love to see him here. He will have to sit out 4 games, however. But, he can take part in all the training camps.
I agree that a tall downfield threat is needed. It's easier for those guys to learn the system. Their assignments are usually simpler.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Revis played in all 16 games last year on his 1st year back from an ACL. He played decent.

I think the beauty of this deal is that its one of those one year "prove it" deals. Some of the reports out there say the Pats are interested in getting something done long-term, after they see how Revis fits. I wouldn't rely on the franchise tag though, Revis has shown on several occasions he will hold out if it's not on his terms. Only way a tag gets used is if he approves it IMHO, but the tag for him will be at $14.4 million, so there is at least a chance.

The Talib contract is silly, as are many of the other ones out there. Talib has shown in very small stretches he can be a shutdown corner. The money paid for that is insane. If you told me I could have Revis for 1 and 12, or Talib for 6 and 57, I'll take the Revis contract 100 times out of 100. There are certainly other needs though, so it's time for some more restructuring to begin and a few more under the radar but key signings to occur.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Right. Sorry it was late. I definitely didn't explain that well. He was in the league's drug program because of the missed test, but the immediate cause of the suspension was a failed test.
yeah no worries, I was a little confused about the whole thing to and wasnt even sure I had it right. Its a pretty crazy story all around.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Unless you can get a Dez, Green, Calvin or Gordon, I don't think you need to dive into the top end WR market.
Hey don't leave out my boy Julio Jones!!!

My Falcons are going to bounce back quick with the moves they've made on both lines already. Plus that #6 pick.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: I also think that whatever team signs Decker will probably regret it. I think he's the #1 candidate for a Peerless Price / Alvin Harper-like contract, where he's signed to a longterm contract that the team will end up eating a lot of money on. I might be mistaken, but the fail rate for longterm deals for FA receivers seems higher than other positions. Last year, the big moves were Mike Wallace and Welker, and the Dolphins and Broncos probably wouldn't mind mulligans on those contracts right now.
Wow love the Peerless Price reference!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bye Wilfork :-/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow requesting a release...weird.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not really. They obviously asked him to restructure and he doesn't want to. I get where he is coming from, but Pats can't carry his 11M cap number, especially since he is going be 33 this season, weighs 350 lbs and is coming off of a devastating injury. I love Vince and wish he'd take a more pragmatic position and stay with the team, but he's a prideful guy.

If he won't redo his deal he won't be here one way or the other, and if that happens I hope he finds someone to give him his money and I wish him the best.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

One of Vince's legs weighs 350.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Not really. They obviously asked him to restructure and he doesn't want to. I get where he is coming from, but Pats can't carry his 11M cap number, especially since he is going be 33 this season, weighs 350 lbs and is coming off of a devastating injury. I love Vince and wish he'd take a more pragmatic position and stay with the team, but he's a prideful guy.

If he won't redo his deal he won't be here one way or the other, and if that happens I hope he finds someone to give him his money and I wish him the best.
Didn't read into it that closely, just saw a headline that says "Wilfork requests release from Patriots"

I need to learn to stop trying to talk football with Patriots fans.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Not really. They obviously asked him to restructure and he doesn't want to. I get where he is coming from, but Pats can't carry his 11M cap number, especially since he is going be 33 this season, weighs 350 lbs and is coming off of a devastating injury. I love Vince and wish he'd take a more pragmatic position and stay with the team, but he's a prideful guy.

Didn't read into it that closely, just saw a headline that says "Wilfork requests release from Patriots"

I need to learn to stop trying to talk football with Patriots fans.
Ha I was thinking when I read the PFT headline that they weren't doing a great job explaining what the situation is. But I wouldn't know every team's cap situation, either. NFL world is a complicated place.

Anyways ... GO RHODY beat UMass
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha yeah, I didnt care enough to read the whole thing I guess. And I'm sure you know my Pats fans comment was in jest. I cant help it, too many Pats fans as friends.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Heard last night that the Pats just signed Browner to a 3 yr. $16M) contract. That would be great news. They've certainly address the CB position. Now, on to the receivers.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A (fake) rumor is that they're trying to trade for Julio Jones. Now THAT would be awesome.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Rumor is they're trying to trade for Julio Jones. Now THAT would be awesome.
Now that is some funny shit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re-signed Edelman. That Julio rumor is insane.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like it came from a fake Twitter account and everybody ran wild with it. Nothing from a legit reporter/analyst though from what I can find.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can't see Atlanta moving him, the Pats giving up enough to get him, the Pats wanting to pay him, and he has legit injury concerns. All around nonsense rumor.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

They've got a better chance of signing Tom Jones.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

they signed brandon lafell from the panthers.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:Looks like it came from a fake Twitter account and everybody ran wild with it. Nothing from a legit reporter/analyst though from what I can find.
Yup. Just found that out. Heard it from a friend so I did some digging. Had to text him and tell him he got duped.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody4012016 wrote:they signed brandon lafell from the panthers.
Pretty solid. That dude can play.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
adam914 wrote:Looks like it came from a fake Twitter account and everybody ran wild with it. Nothing from a legit reporter/analyst though from what I can find.
Yup. Just found that out. Heard it from a friend so I did some digging. Had to text him and tell him he got duped.
In fairness, it's a pretty odd thing for a fake twitter account to tweet. Its not really funny or anything. What would be the point?
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

They just need one more for security and ill be happy Brady needs two deep weapons. Just in case one goes down.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
In fairness, it's a pretty odd thing for a fake twitter account to tweet. Its not really funny or anything. What would be the point?
You'd be surprised how often it happens. Usually I see it all the time for baseball related trades. I guess they are just trying to get followers or something, who knows.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
To fool people like me into posting it on a message board?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I really like what the Patriots have done so far this year for the most part, but I'm not a big fan of the LaFell signing. He's big, and relatively quick, but he drops a lot of balls. If he drops passes this year the way he's done his whole career Brady will freeze him out real fast.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Might as well continue on this thread. Now that the draft is over, how do people feel the Pats did?
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Draft wasn't particularly impressive. Easley, their first round pick, DE, has had two major knee injuries. Apparently he has enormous potential, but his knees scared a lot of teams off. They took Garoppolo way too early. I don't know if he's that much better than any QB taken in the later rounds (4-7). Garoppolo won't be playing (barring catastrophe) for three years anyway, so we'll be in the same position with him in 3 years that we're in with Mallett now.

Rest of the draft is okay; glad they got some interior lineman, and the RB from Wisconsin is supposedly pretty good. Would have liked to see them grab a safety and a tight end, though. Their 7th round pick is an Edelman clone.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I agree, Andrew. They really took a chance with the first pick. Could turn out great if he can stay healthy. I don't want to see another Dowling situation. That kid was injured every year at Va. Yet, the Pats took him with the first pick in the second round and seemed surprised that he was always injured.
The Running Back is an inside runner.
A friend of mine who follows the draft closely really likes the DB they took late, even though he's small (short).
I don't know much about the QB, other than he's smart and needs arm strength. Sounds like Brady when he started here. We knew they would take a QB sometime in the next few years.
The linemen seem solid. Not glamourous picks, but absolutely needed for this team.
They didn't feel there was the quality at Safety and Tight End.
Not taking a Wide Receiver does surprise me. i'm not thrilled with what they have now. Still, no deep threat, even though Brady has trouble throwing deep as he ages.
We'll have to wait and see.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If you're a believer in maximizing Brady's window than Easley is a great pick. A guy with supposed top 5-10 talent who drops because of injury concerns that he should be over come training camp. You don't really care if his knees hold out long term just so long as he can produce to his talent level during his rookie deal. It seems like he can help you at any spot along the line which is nice.

Not a huge fan of the Garoppolo pick. Honestly it seems like a redo of the 2000 draft but this time we went the other way. Back in that draft the Patriots took Brady, but supposedly they were also very high on Tim Rattay who lit it up in college for a team that was an independent and played a softer schedule than Michigan. That year the Patriots took Brady in the sixth and Rattay slid to the seventh. This year they took the guy who lit up FCS as opposed to the guys like McCarron and Murray who won in the SEC. And they did it early. I understand you have to be ready to transition from Brady, but Garoppolo's rookie deal will end the same year Brady's current deal ends, so between the leap from FCS and the way the contracts are structured, I don't think Garoppolo is the guy. Maybe Garoppolo is the replacement for Mallet, and if he is talented enough to take the reigns from Brady, than jackpot.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It's hard to label Garoppolo as Mallett part 2. Mallett never developed into the talent he was supposed to be, you could see through 3 years of preseasons that his development was stagnant. Strong arm, but lacks the ability to read the defense and make the touch passes necessary in the Patriots offense. 2 things happen with Garappolo: 1) He ends up have the mental makeup capable of running a BB offense and waits his turn until Brady retires 2) He isn't as good as the Patriots hope he would be and they draft another young QB and hope to turn him into their future signal caller. It's easy to Monday Morning QB the pick seeing where other QB's went, but it's impossible to know where Garapollo would have gone if the Patriots did not select him. Some people in NFL circles thought he may have been the best QB in the draft but lacked the flash or appeal of other players. Most draft publications had him as a late 2nd-early 3rd round selection. The complaint shouldn't be that Garapollo went too early, IMHO. The more important argument would be if he is the right fit for the Patriots style. The fact that he cares about the game, can make most of the short to intermediate throws, and is a quick decision maker seem to indicate he could be. Impossible to know until he gets out on the field.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Before anyone dumps all over Gaoppolo, read the reports
on Joe Montana and Tom Brady, before they were drafted.
Me, I hope Garappolo becomes yet another big time Italian QB,
like Lamonica, Pastorini, Parrilli, Montana, Marino, and Flacco.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Before anyone dumps all over Gaoppolo, read the reports
on Joe Montana and Tom Brady, before they were drafted.
Me, I hope Garappolo becomes yet another big time Italian QB,
like Lamonica, Pastorini, Parrilli, Montana, Marino, and Flacco.
Rod,
some other good Italian heritage QBs (but not as good as those you listed) were:
Bob Avellini
Gary Beban
Gary Cuozzo
Vince Ferragamo
Bob Gagliano
Vinnie Testaverde
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bruins get ruined.

Goes to show you that regular seasons in pro sports don't mean much nowadays.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Glad I didn't get invested in the Bruins playoff run this year... I would have been really pissed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In other fun news, Aaron Hernandez was indicted in the
double murder in a shooting in Boston.
What a waste of a life. Talk about having it all and throwing it
away, just because he couldn't leave the gangsta life behind.

Vince Ferragamo looked like he was going to be a big star. Lead the Rams
to the Super Bowl, and just went downhill from there.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Glad I didn't get invested in the Bruins playoff run this year... I would have been really pissed.
Disappointing loss. I only watch playoff hockey (if the Bruins are in it). not being fan, I never watch the regular season. It's a really short season for someone like me. lol
I'm trying to avoid baseball as long as I can. When does the Pats pre-season begin??
0 x