And The Award For Most Overrated NFL Player Is.....

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And The Award For Most Overrated NFL Player Is.....

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

RGlll, hands down!
He stinks! His stats are usually put up in garbage time, after his team is behind by
20 or more points.
Guess ESPN is in mourning, that they can't have anymore RGll worship services.
Gee, just as he was about to become thier NFL binkie. They even did an RGll retrospective in
July! As if he were Joe Montana or Tom Brady.
Yes, I know, he was hurt last year and isn't 100% and his defense is terrible.
How'd Brady do when he came back after missing an entire season?
Montana came back in the same seaosn from a spinal fusion operation, to take his team to
a Superbowl win.
The real star of that draft is Andrew Luck, who is already an amazing leader of a team that won 2 games
the year before he got to Indy.
Just don't tell ESPN that.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Re: And The Award For Most Overrated NFL Player Is.....

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I don't even bother watching ESPN anymore. They're analysts offer absolutely nothing and they talk about the same topics/players on every single one of their programs.
And you are right, Andrew Luck and Indy have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs while RGIII and the Redskins will be watching at home.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't think RG3 has ever been fully healthy this year, but given his play style, it's not like health is really something you can count on from him, unfortunately. Football is a brutal game, and it does seem like the scrambling QBs have a worse health record overall.

I do think that coming into the year, Colin Kapernick was even more overrated than RG3 though. At least when it came to the podcasts I listened to, he was getting just about as much hype despite not having as much of a track record, and the 49ers were confident enough in him to trade away Alex Smith. I don't know if Smith will ever be a Top 5 QB, which Kapernick has the potential to be if everything clicks right, but I do think Smith is a Top 10 guy and someone you can win a Super Bowl with.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

They are Vick type players, average QBs that can run
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Teams have adjusted to guys like Kaepernick and RG3.

Last year, K was almost unstoppable until the Super Bowl. Now defenses seem to have figured him out to some extent.

Of course some of that has to do with the receivers available. You lose your good receivers [Crabtree for one} and defenses can key on you more. Same for Griffin, although injuries have slowed him down too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Welker. Easy.

I am leaving the game tonight and the crowd raining the "Welker....Welker....Welker" on him before and especially after he forgot to field that punt was awesome. Welker is a choker and a joke.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Glad Patriots got a little luck today after last week and the BS call against the Jets on the FG "push".
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ATPTourFan wrote:Glad Patriots got a little luck today after last week and the BS call against the Jets on the FG "push".
Almost got screwed again when the refs didn't call that blatent pass interference call against Gronk that would have been a first down. This game never should have gotten to OT. Brady was pissed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A comeback for the ages.
Shows what never quiting can do.
Brady-Manning? Not last night. Brady vs. who?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I suck. I went to sleep at halftime.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I watched Boardwalk Empire and WWE Divas, and then put the game back on, when it was 24-7.
Glad I did, because it was very exciting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I suck. I went to sleep at halftime.
I'm expecting many fans will make up stories about how great it was when they won in OT even if they went to sleep or left the game early. Happens every time.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

TruePoint wrote:Welker. Easy.

I am leaving the game tonight and the crowd raining the "Welker....Welker....Welker" on him before and especially after he forgot to field that punt was awesome. Welker is a choker and a joke.
Welker was doing what he always did, helping Tom Brady win games....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Captainron@ wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Welker. Easy.

Welker was doing what he always did, helping Tom Brady win games....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:
I'm expecting many fans will make up stories about how great it was when they won in OT even if they went to sleep or left the game early. Happens every time.
As freezing as I was, I made a point to stop and take a picture at the end of the game to guard against any such allegations. Normally nobody would think I'd leave, but it was my wife's first NFL game and I can understand why people would think she wanted to leave. But she didn't. She was a trooper.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You married a good one, Truepoint!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You Pats fans complaining about calls always kill me. Like Brady and the Pats have never gotten a call before...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

adam, it's the nature of the beast.

Fans of any team think the calls always go against them. They always remember the calls that don't go their way, but conveniently forget the calls that DID go their way.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:adam, it's the nature of the beast.

Fans of any team think the calls always go against them. They always remember the calls that don't go their way, but conveniently forget the calls that DID go their way.
yeah totally, I agree. I just like giving Pats fans crap, like their QB they are so easily fired up and their tantrums amuse me. :D
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pats fans need to really appreciate what they've got with Brady.

The next guy who comes along, most likely isn't going to be anywhere near as good.

But there's one thing about Brady that I get fired up about: The way he totally flops when a defensive lineman even gets NEAR him. He is so used to excellent protection, that he flips out when he doesn't get it. I know he's scared to death to get hurt, they all are, but he's over the top with it.

Another thing I don't understand about teams who play the Pats: Blitz the CRAP out of Brady!! Why don't more teams do it???? If he doesn't get time to throw, he'll either take a dive or throw it away.

Also, hold up their receivers at the line. Don't let them run those short routes that they are so good at. If Brady can't get rid of the ball quickly, he's toast.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Last night's game was a classic. I expected, as the game went on, that anything could happen. And it did. It was a real bonus for the NFL. There have been so many bad games this year.
A few thoughts (ala Bunky's Saturday articles)

Has anyone noticed that since the NFL has limited the days when teams can have full contact practices that more players are getting hurt?

I have no idea what pass interference is anymore. It used to be that it would always be called if the defender doesn't turn his head. Now, it seems that they never do and it isn't always called.

There's a big difference between applying constant pressure on a good QB and constantly blitzing him. The latter can be suicide for a QB like Manning and Brady. They release the ball too quickly.

I'd take Welker over Amendola every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Having a running back who gains 100 yards a game but is fumble prone is useless. Twice this year Ridley fumbled and had it picked up and returned for a touchdown.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramfan85 wrote:Having a running back who gains 100 yards a game but is fumble prone is useless. Twice this year Ridley fumbled and had it picked up and returned for a touchdown.
He leads (or is tied for the lead) the NFL in fumbles by a non-QB, I believe. Wonder if he gets released this week? Have to figure he at least sees his carries reduced significantly for the rest of the season - BB doesn't stand for that crap.

That said, last night was an absolute instant classic... although not sure I'd be singing the same tune had the Pats lost.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:You Pats fans complaining about calls always kill me. Like Brady and the Pats have never gotten a call before...
I'd normally put my impartiality hat on and agree with this, but this season is a bit different. Two questionable calls (the Carolina call was more than questionable - it was flat out BAD) have directly resulted in Patriots losses. I haven't watched every game in the NFL this season, but I can only think of one other game - Saints vs 49ers - where that was the case.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
adam914 wrote:You Pats fans complaining about calls always kill me. Like Brady and the Pats have never gotten a call before...
I'd normally put my impartiality hat on and agree with this, but this season is a bit different. Two questionable calls (the Carolina call was more than questionable - it was flat out BAD) have directly resulted in Patriots losses. I haven't watched every game in the NFL this season, but I can only think of one other game - Saints vs 49ers - where that was the case.
I'm not going to argue that, if that call went against my team I would have been livid.

On another note though, does anybody ever remember this many flags being picked up across the league? Its like every game there are 2-3 flags that get thrown and then not enforced. Seems so strange to me. I guess if they are getting the call right in the end then its for the best, but I'm just not sure thats always the case.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember when a Notre Dame back would fumble when
Ara Parsegian was coach.
You literally would never see that back again. I mean, ever!
Some coaches are more lenient than others, but fumbles are a real killer.
Blount's fumble at the goal line was the worst.
If they scored, the entire game would have been different.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The Jets call and Carolina calls were horrible. Patriots fans have every right to complain about those as they directly affected the outcome of the game. Both on last or next to last plays of the game. Both scoring or potentially plays.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The Jets play was a penalty based on the new rules. Gronk had no chance to catch the ball against Carolina which was going to be intercepted regardless. At most it's holding and they get another play 5 yards closer where they still need to score a TD. Oh yea they won a Super Bowl because of the tuck rule. I can't wait until Brady retires and this franchise goes back to obscurity and local tv blackouts.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
As freezing as I was, I made a point to stop and take a picture at the end of the game to guard against any such allegations. Normally nobody would think I'd leave, but it was my wife's first NFL game and I can understand why people would think she wanted to leave. But she didn't. She was a trooper.
I was wondering how many fans left at halftime. It must have seemed even colder after the third fumble in the first quarter than it actually was. Kudos to you, TP, for sticking it out. You were certainly rewarded.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:The Jets play was a penalty based on the new rules. Gronk had no chance to catch the ball against Carolina which was going to be intercepted regardless. At most it's holding and they get another play 5 yards closer where they still need to score a TD. Oh yea they won a Super Bowl because of the tuck rule. I can't wait until Brady retires and this franchise goes back to obscurity and local tv blackouts.
Ha! Thank you, our resident Dolphins fan! Let's not enjoy visions of post-Brady football in New England just yet. I remember the Dolphins had a fairly decent -- as in hall of fame -- quarterback for quite some time (17 YEARS!!), but I forgot how many Vince Lombardi trophies they collected in that time.

Jets play was a penalty based on the new rules. It hasn't been enforced on ANY other kicking play this season, which means it is HARDLY a point of emphasis to steal a NCAA term.

Gronk wasn't allowed to turn in and come back for the ball, which he is entitled to do based on the rules. Only because he allowed his defender to guide him towards the back of the endzone did the distance between where he was at the time the ball was caught seem uncatchable.

Back to last night though. My favorite of the "Did You Know?" type things NBC displayed during the game was the contrasting of Brady and Manning's careers with respect to individual accomplishment and also the probowls earned by fellow offensive teammates during that same time.

Manning has had every advantage with respect to talent on his side of the ball. It's not even close! Brady has more wins, championships, than Manning even while having a fraction of the talent around him during his career.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Completely agree with ATP. That pass in the Carolina game was ridiculous. Brady threw a spot pass. The receiver knows where it's going to be and has to be there. He was pushed out of the end zone and was denied the chace to get to it. All Gronk had to do was curl in and dive for the ball. He may not have caught it, but it would have been close. Not calling it is one thing. But, to actually pickup the flag that was thrown says the play wasn't going to be close. The ball and Gronk were both in the end zone. The end zone isn't that deep.
Where was the flag last night on the pass to Thompkins?
Years ago they'd call penaties for interference on the opposite side of the field from the pass. There's just no consistency.
Speaking of Carolina, I'm becoming a fan (not like the Pats, of course). I like the classy way they, and particularly Newton, are handling their success.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I know this video has made the rounds, but here's some pretty definitive proof that Gronk did indeed have a chance to make a play on that ball vs Carolina.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/new ... -says-yes/

EDIT: Apparently ESPN took the video down. Anyway, regardless of whether it was a good call or a bad call, there is no chance anyone can convince me that they would have picked the flag up if that game was being played in Foxboro. I think that's a big problem in the NFL.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I would have loved to have seen one more play from the 1 yard line. I don't know if they would have scored, though.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

URI96 wrote: Oh yea they won a Super Bowl because of the tuck rule.
No they won the game against the Raiders because of the correctly applied tuck rule. They won the AFC championship because Denver choked, and the Super Bowl because Mike Martz forgot that Marshall Faulk was on his team.

Also, little remembered fact...the Patriots lost a game because of a tuck rule call against the Jets earlier that season.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EasyEdBrown wrote:
No they won the game against the Raiders because of the correctly applied tuck rule. They won the AFC championship because Denver choked, and the Super Bowl because Mike Martz forgot that Marshall Faulk was on his team.

Also, little remembered fact...the Patriots lost a game because of a tuck rule call against the Jets earlier that season.
So it was the correctly applied rule when it helped them and was wrong earlier in the season when it lost them a game? Classic Pats fan...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

He didn't say it was wrong vs Jets. Wtf. A properly applied rule can be a major reason for any win/loss.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

adam914 wrote:
EasyEdBrown wrote:

So it was the correctly applied rule when it helped them and was wrong earlier in the season when it lost them a game? Classic Pats fan...
No, it was correctly applied against the Patriots too.

I mean, if my point was too complex for you to grasp, I can break it down for you.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:adam, it's the nature of the beast.

yeah totally, I agree. I just like giving Pats fans crap, like their QB they are so easily fired up and their tantrums amuse me. :D
Haha sorry guys, I thought the sarcasm in my post was more obvious. Going back to this post I made earlier in the thread...I was just messing with you guys.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

You played the Patriots troll really well there.

I'm tipping my hat to you.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Random note - So many people now have Hurley avatars that I sometimes feel like he's conversing with himself when I look at posts. Point-Counterpoint, starring Dan Hurley.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EasyEdBrown wrote:You played the Patriots troll really well there.

I'm tipping my hat to you.
Haha thank you.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote:Random note - So many people now have Hurley avatars that I sometimes feel like he's conversing with himself when I look at posts. Point-Counterpoint, starring Dan Hurley.
And along comes Mr. Bananagrabber...
This has all the makings of a sitcom.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:Random note - So many people now have Hurley avatars that I sometimes feel like he's conversing with himself when I look at posts. Point-Counterpoint, starring Dan Hurley.
And along comes Mr. Bananagrabber...
This has all the makings of a sitcom.
I never should have signed away the animated rights.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I may be the only 1 (or maybe 2) with an avi of myself
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wait, ElmCity doesn't look like this?

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Arthur says hello. '72 used to have his dog, and Barlow 15 has a really nice dog
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Back to RGIII...

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The Washington situation is just a god damn mess. Griffin's numbers aren't horrible this year, but it's tough to go run-heavy and use play action effectively when the defense ensures you're down big almost every game. It's probably not going to get any better next year - Shanahan is probably gone, but they also got rid of their first round pick to acquire RG3, and they've mismanaged the cap for years.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah its too bad, he is a pawn in a sad game between coach and owner right now.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I can't believe that Sports Center thought the benching of RGlll was sooooo momentous that
they subjected viewers to a full half hour replay of Shanahan's press conference, ;eading off
the show!
I have never heard of such coverage for a second year QB who has accomplished nothing!
Just insanity.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Especially since there is another second year QB who has accomplished something that is being largely ignored.
0 x