Lester cheating in game #1??

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Lester cheating in game #1??

Unread post by Justns11 »

So what are your guys opinions on this?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1823 ... &hpt=hp_t2

I'm not sure what was in his glove but there was definitely something there and in the vine video it looks like he rubs his index and middle finger on it.

Any idea what it was?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Lester cheating in game #1??

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Like with Bucholtz, Jon was probably using a mix of rosin and who knows what (sunscreen??) To get a better grip. Not the same as "doctoring" the ball to change its flight characteristics.

Nothing to come from this. Cold weather baseball.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He is obviously using something...what it is we will never know.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It sure looks to be the same situation and similar substance to Clay's issue earlier in the season. In cold weather, I believe pitchers are given more latitude to get a better grip on a cold, dry baseball. They are allowed to go to their mouth when it's cold.

I just think there's a difference between getting a decent grip on the ball in the cold and "doctoring" the ball such as scratching or putting any substantial amount of stuff on it.

I don't think anyone would conclude from that Vine video clip that Jon Lester (or Clay) was rubbing stuff all over the ball or scratching it. It was going on his index and middle fingers to he can throw it like it was a humid July night.

Yes, obviously I'm a Sox fan! :)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Often times pitchers will use stuff to get a better grip and the other team is 100% cool with it. The alternative being the ball slipping out of his hands on a pitch and injuring someone.
0 x