Go Sawx!

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Go Sawx!

Unread post by TruePoint »

Playing hooky from work to go to Game 1. This can be the thread to post your thoughts on the Sox' postseason run and the baseball playoffs in general.

I'm thinking this game is the key to the series. Beat Price in Game 1 of a short series and the rout is on. Lose this game and you might have two must-wins in a row coming up the next three days.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Go Sawx!

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, I'm concerned if the Sawx lose this game today. Lucky you for getting to be there.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good to see somebody else spelling "sawx" correctly....

Moore not Price, enjoy!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That's what I meant. A few hours of pregaming will do that to you. Price tomorrow looms large.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I was there as well, TP. By far one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had at Fenway. The Myyyyy-errrssss chant was an instant classic. I'll be there tomorrow (today?) too.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

True

I took the boy. HE was laughing when I told him he could Bunk school for the day. HE said what is Bunk. Good day at Fenway!!!! Growing my beard!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nice, Hooopz! Great day to be up in Boston last Friday.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Think we can wrap this up tonight. Here's hoping, anyway. Don't want to let the Devil Dogs off the mat.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man I hate this time of year when I have to once again realize that all of you people that I respect and share mutual admiration with for our Rams are also Sawx and Pats fans!! :lol:

Go Braves and Falcons!! Going to be an intense night for me in front of the TV!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:Man I hate this time of year when I have to once again realize that all of you people that I respect and share mutual admiration with for our Rams are also Sawx and Pats fans!! :lol:
I know, right?!

Meanwhile, I'm out here celebrating getting rid of all four coaches from the major sports in one year. Philly pride, yo.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

At least the Flyers gave him 3 games to give it a shot!! Haha...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I like the Braves; I'll be rooting for them the whole way unless they face the Red Sox in the WS.

I read somewhere that Chip Kelly is currently the longest tenured pro-sports coach in Philly. Crazy.

Also, tonight was a kick in the balls. I really like the Sox chances in a Peavy vs Hellickson match-up though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I read somewhere that Chip Kelly is currently the longest tenured pro-sports coach in Philly. Crazy.
True story.

Hate the bunt on the road, especially with a guy like Rodney on the mound.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Adam, last night went about as well for you as it did for me and my fantasy team.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Adam, last night went about as well for you as it did for me and my fantasy team.
Seriously, what a disaster all around. I havent completely recovered yet...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh good, now Julio Jones is out for the year. Is it basketball season yet?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

On to the next one.

The Revenge of Koji!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:Oh good, now Julio Jones is out for the year. Is it basketball season yet?
Adam,
Are you a Chargers fan, also? My brother has lived in San Diego for many years, goes to a lot of games and still is a Pats fan.
Looks like Jones is out. This is the worst thing about football. It has become a game of survival more than talent. It also seems that injuries have gotten worse since the league has limited the days of contact.
Glad the Sox are winning. It will help since it seems like the Pats are in for a "long"season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So glad the Sawx won last night. I am always nervous with these best of 5s.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Oh good, now Julio Jones is out for the year. Is it basketball season yet?
Adam,
Are you a Chargers fan, also? My brother has lived in San Diego for many years, goes to a lot of games and still is a Pats fan.
Looks like Jones is out. This is the worst thing about football. It has become a game of survival more than talent. It also seems that injuries have gotten worse since the league has limited the days of contact.
Glad the Sox are winning. It will help since it seems like the Pats are in for a "long"season.
Hey Ramfan, I dont really consider myself a Chargers fan. I follow them pretty closely just because of proximity and hearing so much about them and have alot of friends that are die hard.

Congrats to the Sox as well. I think I'll have to adopt the Pirates from here on out in the playoffs. Hard not to pull for them.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Agree about cheering for the Pirates. I still remember how their wives were dancing on the dugouts to "We are family" the last time they won. I guess they pissed off the the team (whoever they were. I can't remembr).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The Baltimore Orioles, who were a very good team, lead
by a great pitching staff. They were heavy favorites and lost.
Think it was '79 or so.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Anyone know what time the game will be on Sat.? I would assume it depends on the outcome of tonight's game. I'm hoping for a later start.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Larry Lucchino told WEEI this morning he expected 7:30p Saturday and 8pm Sunday starts, but these are not finalized as of this morning.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Larry Lucchino told WEEI this morning he expected 7:30p Saturday and 8pm Sunday starts, but these are not finalized as of this morning.

Thanx. I'm tired of these mid-afternnon/early evening games. besides, I have a dinner engagement. I'll push for an early dinner (like living in Florida).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Game will be at 8:07pm on Saturday and 8:15pm on Sunday.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I'm going with Red Sox in 5. Wainwright and Wacha are scary, but certainly not as scary as Scherzer and Verlander.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazingly quiet for now heading into the 5th game of the World Series.

Last two games have been amazing
Game 3 was one for the ages. Dustin's stop was typical Dustin - amazing - adn then a nice calm, accurate throw to the plate. Then when Salty threw the ball to third I screamed "OH NO". Great play by Daniel to back it up and make a beautiful throw to the plate for the "out" but I was scared to death watching the issue at third that interference would be called and lo and behold it was. Still do not understand how the line from third to home was completed visible and the baseline was clear - but the runner "chose" to run over the top of Middlebrooks 2-3 feet inside the chalkline between home and third - I'll never understand that one - bottom line is Middlebrooks was not in the baseline.
Game 4 - wow. Felix pitched beautifully and nice job by Buckholtz and Lackey...and the 3 run homer was Classic. and then the pick off at first base? Love how Ortiz is pulling these guys together with speeches and leading by example.
I can't wait for tonight - this is a HUGE GAME - would love to return to Beantown up 3-2.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, great series so far. So glad the Sox won that one last night even with a difficult pitching situation.

Now back to normal with Lester who can hopefully put together another great performance.

After game 3 the umpires were saying that the runner establishes his own baseline, and as long as he takes that line to the next base, he's entitled to that space. Baselines are sometimes straight, sometimes curved (like going first to third or second to home). So after the attempt to throw him out at 3rd, the runner was entitled to get up and run straight home (over Middlebrooks).

Not saying I agree with that interpretation, but that's what the ups and Joe Torre said.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the important thing about that call is that the rule was interpreted correctly. Some Sox fans seem to be misguided in their arguments that they think the call was wrong. You can argue that the rule is stupid, and I would agree, but the umps got it right. I do think we'll see the rule changed because of this to allow for the umps to make a judgement call based on intent.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, great series so far. So glad the Sox won that one last night even with a difficult pitching situation.

Now back to normal with Lester who can hopefully put together another great performance.

After game 3 the umpires were saying that the runner establishes his own baseline, and as long as he takes that line to the next base, he's entitled to that space. Baselines are sometimes straight, sometimes curved (like going first to third or second to home). So after the attempt to throw him out at 3rd, the runner was entitled to get up and run straight home (over Middlebrooks).

Not saying I agree with that interpretation, but that's what the ups and Joe Torre said.
I agree that the Umps made the correct call according to the Rule Book.
I don't agree that the guy can get up 3 feet inside the baseline and then run over Middlebrooks or whoever the guy might be and then that guy on the ground can get called for obstruction. Could the guy be 6 feet inside the baseline? 8 feet inside? That is the part that bothers me about this rule. The baseline itself was wide open but that was not the path that was "chosen".
At any rate, I question more the throw by Salty in the first place, he did not have a good enough chance to take that risk plus Middlebrooks has not looked very comfortable at third base with limited playing time in the postseason. The throw should not have been made - especially after a similar throw in the previous game that went wild.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GAME 5 - WOW - Red Sox come home with a chance to win the World Series at Fenway for the first time since 1918 - 95 years ago.
- Ortiz now 11 for 15 plus 4 walks in the World Series.
- Great defense from Steven Drew expecially on the hard, high line drive that he leaped incredibly high to steal a hit away.
- Great defense by Lester early on with the bunt down the 1st base line - outstanding play at a crucial time with a man on first and no outs.
- Supurb pitching by Lester
- Big Doubles by Pedroia and Ross
- Great relief pitching as usual by Koji
- Xander Bogaerts want 5-11 in the 3 games in St Louis - the kid just turned 21 on October 1st!!!!!! What a great plaer for Boston for years to come.
- Great to hear Ross refer to Ortiz as Coop - and when further questioned said they call him Cooperstown for obvious reasons

Some other thoughts:
- One of my favorite players was Iglesias and it killed me to see him traded away - while Drew's defense has been great his hitting has been non-existent. Can't help but imagine this team with Iglesias at Short right now
- Thought Farrell should have pinch hit for Lester in the top of the 7th when the Sox could have really put it away. One out with Drew at 3rd and Ross on second. Could have pinch hit Victorino, Napoli or Carp. Lester became a quick out and we were lucky Elsbury (who has been struggling at the plate) hit a soft liner for a 2-out single to center. Also, should have pinch run Quintin Berry for Ross at second and he would have scored easily on Elsbury's hit to center. Saltalamachia could have come in for Ross. Worked out but I was very nervous.
- Can't wait for Wednesday night.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Incredible season ends with the 3rd championship in 10 Years! Who thought that was possible back in 2003?

Boston Red Sox, 2013 World Champions!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And first World Series victory at home since 1918, a year in which the great Babe Ruth was a pitcher and also played the field. Babe had won a combined 47 games as a pitcher for the Sox in the previous 2 years but the Sox were moving him more and more to the field in fact his last year in bean town he hit 29 homers in 1919 then we all know the story of going to the hated Yankees who turned him into fielding only and not pitching.
So an amazing story and the final end to the "curse of the Bambino".
Amazing for this team to go from last to first in one year - and not only go to first in the tough AL Eastern Division but to go all the way to World Champion! Amazing story.
0 x