Baseball Season Is Almost Here!

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ace
Ernie Calverley

Baseball Season Is Almost Here!

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Gonna need an open practice or two to get me through til November.
That's what baseball is for!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Best Basketball Commercial Our School Ever Produced

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ace, I wouldn't get too excited, if you're a Sox or Yankee fan.

It's going to be a long summer for both of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they both miss the playoffs.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What, you don't think all those over the hill mid-30 guys
Ben signed, will lead them to the promised land?
Hey, but he didn't give up a single draft pick, or a real prospect. Who needs Justin Upton?
Why try to get Giancarlo Stanton?
After all, all Sox prospects are future Hall of Famers.
The Yankees have so many injuries, they aren't going anywhere, either.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:ace, I wouldn't get too excited, if you're a Sox or Yankee fan.

It's going to be a long summer for both of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they both miss the playoffs.
Phillies fan, actually. I'm mildly excited about them (will go up if Halladay is healthy and Young doesn't completely suck), really excited about baseball in general.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'm excited! Finally as a Blue Jays fan I have something to look forward to this season!
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Yankees on the DL are all so old, they should be collecting Social Security instead of playing baseball.

Although, with the ridiculous money they're making for doing nothing, they certainly don't need it!

I think we're starting to see a welcome trend developing in baseball [and the NFL too] where teams are no longer going to hand out long term contracts for guys who are already in their 30's.

The Patriots are a good case in point. That's why they've been so successful for so long. They treat things as a business, where their ROI on an older player isn't worth the money later in a long term contract. That frees up the cap money necessary to sign younger players with a future.

Of course, the Welker thing was a fiasco. He was still young enough to be a good risk for 3 more years. Hard to believe they lost him over a couple million dollars, chump change for an NFL team.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How does one become a Blue Jays fan?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Live in Toronto once?

Or is it being just anti-Sox or Yanks?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i'm 24 so I started watching in '92-'93 and started rooting for them then and have rooted for them ever since. I used to say I jumped on the bandwagon and never found the exit
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: Phillies fan, actually. I'm mildly excited about them (will go up if Halladay is healthy and Young doesn't completely suck), really excited about baseball in general.
This is upsetting news. I guess I'll have to just stop liking you until next November. Lifelong Braves fan here... :)
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ace, why in the world did they trade Hunter Pence, when
they have such a weak OF?
Pence is a nice all around player.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rod, how the heck would the Red Sox even acquire Stanton at this point? He's cheap for a couple years, so the Marlins don't have any incentive to move him, and they've denied that he would ever be on the move. He'd probably require some sort of ridiculous trade, like Boegarts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and something else, and even that might not be enough. For similar reasons, I don't think the Red Sox were ever in on Justin Upton.

re: Pence, I think he's a bit overrated. He gets around 20 HRs per year and a decent amount of RBI, since he is durable and plays 150+ games a year. As the JD Drew experience shows, there is value to just being able to play every day, yes. But to me, he's a clear rung below guys like Stanton, and he turns 30 this year, suggesting he might already be about as good as he's going to get.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jackie Bradley Jr will be a stud !!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote: Phillies fan, actually. I'm mildly excited about them (will go up if Halladay is healthy and Young doesn't completely suck), really excited about baseball in general.
This is upsetting news. I guess I'll have to just stop liking you until next November. Lifelong Braves fan here... :)
You and all your Uptons are dead to me. DEAD! :)

As for Pence- never a fan. I appreciate what he did after coming over from Houston, but I'm not too high on in. He was headed to arbitration and was going to be more money than he's worth, IMO. They at least got a good catching prospect in Joseph. I'm also clinging to the hope that Domonic Brown can get it together.

Not that I'm sure anyone will see these comments since they got moved away from the main board.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Baseball Season Is Almost Here!

Unread post by adam914 »

I actually do think Domonic Brown gets it together this year. No Upton of course...but he'll turn it around I think.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018