CELTICS and the NBA

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
Rhodymob05
Cuttino Mobley

Re: CELTICS and the NBA

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 3 week ago

Celtics looked strong vs Wizards in game 1. Boston shoots a TON of threes, which I'm not for. When they worked the ball inside, it opened up better quality shots outside which was great to see.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

EGram
Jeff Kent

Unread postby EGram » 3 week ago

Rm why are you not for taking threes? Celtics have good enough shooters to launch a large number of them imo.

Personally I don't watch much NBA but with my injury I have nothing to do and have been watching all the Celts playoff games.

I really like Smart and Bradley and Horford. IT is an amazing scorer but I wonder if a team can win with him as its main offensive option given how badly height effects his rebounding and D.

Def not as good as the 07-11 Celtics tho. I remember watching them for the first time and the Defense and ball movement were just otherworldly for someone who was used to watching CBB games for basketball the past decade or so it was mind blowing
0 x

STC
Art Stephenson

Unread postby STC » 1 week ago

I don't know about you guys but I'm more excited to see which way the ping pong balls bounce tomorrow night than whether the Celtics can win game 7 tonight for the right to lose to Cleveland.
1 x

Rhodymob05
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

Kelly the X factor.
0 x

rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

STC wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm more excited to see which way the ping pong balls bounce tomorrow night than whether the Celtics can win game 7 tonight for the right to lose to Cleveland.

I just want to see them competitive ... I know people keep talking about the Cleveland series as a known loss, and I'm ok with that, but even if they lose 4-0, or 4-1, I'd like to see 2-3 of those losses be competitive games, reasonably close in the 4th quarter with Cleveland squaking it out or even pulling away. I'd be very disappointed if the C's get absolutely demolished in a short series.
1 x

Shaolin Swat
Lamar Odom

Unread postby Shaolin Swat » 1 week ago

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
STC wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm more excited to see which way the ping pong balls bounce tomorrow night than whether the Celtics can win game 7 tonight for the right to lose to Cleveland.

I just want to see them competitive ... I know people keep talking about the Cleveland series as a known loss, and I'm ok with that, but even if they lose 4-0, or 4-1, I'd like to see 2-3 of those losses be competitive games, reasonably close in the 4th quarter with Cleveland squaking it out or even pulling away. I'd be very disappointed if the C's get absolutely demolished in a short series.

Agree, getting blown out in the ECF does nothing to show that they may be a piece away from being a legit championship contender. A good showing in the ECF (even if it is losing close, competitive games) will go a long way in attracting players to help strengthen the roster.

Regardless, it is going to be fascinating to see how the ping-pong balls bounce tonight and how it ultimately impacts the evolution and development of the roster.
0 x

rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

I think the C's are destined for a draft-build, which I think I'm coming around more now on than I was before ... If the C's land a marquee FA (lets say Hayward), and can go IT + Hayward + Horford, and now they have the drafted guys that go Brown + 2017 Top 4 + 2018 Top 4, they might have a shot at having a team with two different sets of a "Big 3," the present Big 3 and the Future Big 3. Now, I don't think the present Big 3 are good enough to win a Championship, but if the other guys can grow around them, that might be enough to "win now" and win 5 years from now. I guess the problem with that is what do they do with the spare parts? Smart, Crowder, Bradley, Olynyk, and Rozier all seem to have some value, but not enough to make a substantial deal without trading most, if not all of those pieces plus a pick. But if you keep them, they'll likely all hit FA, command $15-$20 mil per, and leave Boston who won't be able to support a current Big 3 and a future Big 3. But is that a risk worth taking? If anything, hopefully they can move 1 or 2 of them to fill a hole, but I don't even think they view rebounding/defense as a potential hole, because they stashed Zizic from last year's draft who at 6'11, projects as a major rebounder, and while raw, projects in the same light as Nurkic and Jokic.
2 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 1 week ago

Celtics win the Lottery and nab the #1 Pick in the Draft
Bring on the Cavs
0 x

860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread postby 860_rhody » 1 week ago

Everyone is saying that Fultz will be one of the best guards drafted in a while. Funny to think we were recruiting him a year ago.
Let the Lakers have their hype, media attention, and $495 shoes, and the Celtics will add to their ECF roster. 8-)
1 x

EGram
Jeff Kent

Unread postby EGram » 1 week ago

I'm really torn between Fultz and Ball. Ultimately I think the Ball family is such a distraction you should go with Fultz unless your convinced he is a top 5 player in the league and you can somehow manage him and his father.

The problem with ball is how much has his father rubbed off on his kid? I could easily see him playing in China 5 years from now while his family fighting bankruptcy while attempting some insane antitrust suit against the NBA.
1 x

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread postby rodfromcranston » 6 days ago

Does it bother anyone that Fultz and Washington went 9-22 last year,
and Lorenzo Romar got fired?
I made it a point to watch late games when Washington played,
to see what Fultz was about.
Good shooter and ball handler.
However, unlike any transcendent players, he did not
make the players around him, better.
His body language would revert to sad sack mode when
things weren't going well.
I realize he's young, but I found it off putting.
Jackson from Kansas is actually more what the
Celts need.
He's a little raw, but very talented.
So many guards, and no real interior game,
no rim protector.
How many times do opponents just drive right to the basket
on them?
If they could sign Hayward, at least it would give them
a scorer at different points on the floor, besides Thomas.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby rjsuperfly66 » 6 days ago

It's tough to say ... I like Josh Jackson, but he's a guy who made positive contributions on a team that probably would have made the Sweet 16 with or without him. If you put him on a bad team, or a team with a mediocre roster, would his interactions/reactions resemble that of Fultz? And vice versa, how would Fultz' attitude and playmaking ability been if he played on a team with a POY-candidate like Frank Mason, Devonte Graham, etc?
0 x

SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby SGreenwell » 6 days ago

rodfromcranston wrote:Does it bother anyone that Fultz and Washington went 9-22 last year,
and Lorenzo Romar got fired?
I made it a point to watch late games when Washington played,
to see what Fultz was about.
Good shooter and ball handler.
However, unlike any transcendent players, he did not
make the players around him, better.
His body language would revert to sad sack mode when
things weren't going well.
I realize he's young, but I found it off putting.
Jackson from Kansas is actually more what the
Celts need.
He's a little raw, but very talented.
So many guards, and no real interior game,
no rim protector.
How many times do opponents just drive right to the basket
on them?
If they could sign Hayward, at least it would give them
a scorer at different points on the floor, besides Thomas.

I'd be more worried if there was a stronger correlation between team success in the college game vs. the NBA. Like, Carmelo Anthony won an NCAA championship, but hasn't improved his defense in X years of being in the league. Kevin Durant was a skinny guy who looked like only a scorer, on an average team, and he's now one of the league's better defenders too. (To just cherry pick a couple players that jumped to my head.) I think it's more important to get a feel for the player in interviews and workouts, and watching tape.
0 x

rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby rjsuperfly66 » 5 days ago

I was very disappointed, I felt the other night was a complete F performance.
If I had to scale:
A: Win
B: Competitive To The End
C: Competitive For At Least a Half
D: Competitive For At Least a Quarter
F: Non-Competitive After a Quarter
The way the game played out the other night, it was basically over after 10 minutes.
All I would like is an average B/B- performance, is that so much to ask? :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 5 days ago

if the other night was a disappointment imagine what Friday night is ????

72-31 at the half, Cleveland leads in Boston, unbelievable. Greatest half time deficit in the history of NBA Playoff Basketball.
1 x

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread postby rodfromcranston » 5 days ago

Stink, stank, stunk!!!!!
Disgraceful effort.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread postby ramfan85 » 5 days ago

This may be over in 3 games. Why wait?
1 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby rambone 78 » 4 days ago

Wait until next year. With Thomas looking hobbled with a sore hip, the Celtics are toast.

Even with him at full strength, no chance.
0 x

rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby rjsuperfly66 » 4 days ago

That's the reality of the modern-day NBA.
Lebron's dominance is impossible to stop, and the Cavs are more than strong enough at every other position.
If Lebron will be Lebron for another 3-5 years, the C's might not be able to match his firepower, but they need to basically be better at almost every other position, and that's why this series is not and will not be competitive.
It's amazing, the C's system is not set up for a "true post" player, but Tristan Thompson has a tremendous role combined with the shooters around him. From a pure talent standpoint, he's not as good as Horford (I don't even think it's close), but in that system, he can be a factor.
Two games, two F performances.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 4 days ago

Thomas ruled out for the series with hip injury
0 x

Rhodymob05
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 days ago

Lebron with 11 points and 6 turnovers. Compete 180, incredible really. Celtics played much better defense and aggressiveness.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby rambone 78 » 2 days ago

LeBron won't play like that again sports fans. Very surprising, but the Cavs have blown big late leads many times this season.

For that reason, I think the Warriors win the title over the Cavs in 6.
0 x

SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby SGreenwell » 2 days ago

rambone 78 wrote:LeBron won't play like that again sports fans. Very surprising, but the Cavs have blown big late leads many times this season.

For that reason, I think the Warriors win the title over the Cavs in 6.

Yeah - I kind of view game three as the Cavs mistakenly thinking the series was done, and the Celtics might just roll over. Whereas the Warriors series, Golden State is going to want to blow their doors off every game. The Cavs have blown games because outside of LeBron, Tristan Thompsons and (healthy) J.R. Smith, there aren't many defensive stoppers on that team.
0 x

NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 days ago

Series probably only goes as far as Marcus Smart's shooting (which...didn't he set an NBA record for FG% futility in March and/or April?), but...Isaiah...as great a scorer as he is...in the playoffs, is like a "welcome" sign on defense. Any time you have a team basing 90% of their sets on "Who does #4 have?"...that's a problem...
0 x

SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby SGreenwell » 1 day ago

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Series probably only goes as far as Marcus Smart's shooting (which...didn't he set an NBA record for FG% futility in March and/or April?), but...Isaiah...as great a scorer as he is...in the playoffs, is like a "welcome" sign on defense. Any time you have a team basing 90% of their sets on "Who does #4 have?"...that's a problem...

To be fair to him, it's hard to judge him on the past two weeks or so, since the hip problem clearly limited him. He wasn't a great defender in the regular season, but he was playable out there.
0 x

Return to “All Pro Sports”