License plates

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

License plates

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I got an email today from PC, apparently you can now order PC license plates from the state of Rhode Island, with the proceeds benefiting their Angel Fund. It seems like a decent enough idea, but frankly I'm pissed off by it.

How in the actual fuck can you get a license plate supporting a private school and their students, but can't get one for the state flagship public university? Last I knew, 45 out of 50 states offered license plates for their state universities with most earmarking proceeds to scholarships for instate students, but not RI. But they can do it for a private school.

The General Assembly controls which groups can offer a license plate, and somehow they've decided it's better to help out a private school and their students that might not even be state residents then to offer a license plate where the proceeds would help Rhode Island residents going to the University of Rhode Island.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: License plates

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've thought of this many times. I read it takes a certain amount of ppl off the top of my head to ask for the plate. Then you get it. I would guess like 60-75? Something like that.

I think I would get a URI plate. Kind of dumb Uri doesn't have one considering there are like 25.

Bristol 4th of July has one....
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I've thought of this many times. I read it takes a certain amount of ppl off the top of my head to ask for the plate. Then you get it. I would guess like 60-75? Something like that.

I think I would get a URI plate. Kind of dumb Uri doesn't have one considering there are like 25.

Bristol 4th of July has one....

Not ask as a private citizen but in some kind of petition.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know about that part of it. I know 900 vehicles have to be committed to purchasing the plate before production begins, but I don't know about a set number to petition before it's offered
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Has anyone ever petitioned for a URI plate? Might be a good place to start
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Maybe some of the Assembly members serving time at the ACI can't bring themselves to make pro-URI license plates.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Has anyone ever petitioned for a URI plate? Might be a good place to start
I've talked to my state representative about it. At first he thought there was already a bill passed for one. Then I showed him on the dmv website that it didn't exist. He said he was going to look into it at that point. Normally he's pro URI, but that hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere, so time to be more aggressive during the next session.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI Red ordered the first License plate so it could say PEE CEE
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Has anyone ever petitioned for a URI plate? Might be a good place to start
I've talked to my state representative about it. At first he thought there was already a bill passed for one. Then I showed him on the dmv website that it didn't exist. He said he was going to look into it at that point. Normally he's pro URI, but that hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere, so time to be more aggressive during the next session.
There was a centennial plate that expired in one year. Not sure of the bright bulb who thought that one up. But, nothing amazes me in RI politics.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow I would totally support a uri plate, and that's Bs
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I've never had a vanity plate, but I would absolutely pay a bit extra for a nicely designed URI Rams plate. Certainly ours can look at least as good as the Friars' one.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Maybe PC is trying to get 900 orders for plates? I don't see where you can just order a PC plate. This is the link I find.
http://www.dmv.ri.gov/plates/special/
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote:RI Red ordered the first License plate so it could say PEE CEE
OMG I am dying. :lol: :lol: In texts to my friends, I ALWAYS reference it as "PEE CEE".
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... nse-plates

I need to know how to make a URI one NOW!
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

"A bill signed into law last year allowed Rhode Island colleges and universities to market special license plates. PC is the first institution that has applied to create the plates, according to Paul Grimaldi, a spokesman for the DMV."

Someone at URI needs to Think Big and apply to have this done. We should be leading in this effort, not following.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I love the idea of a plate. And, I have a few friends who might actually be making them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, get on it, URI. Seriously.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC begins marketing specialty license plates

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/ProJo/
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I emailed Thorr about the plate a couple of weeks ago and he told me that such an effort would be handles by the Alumni Association. He then copied in the AA director who did not reply. In my opinion having a PC plate and not a URI plate would be an embarrassment.
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well perhaps if enough of us contact the Alumni Association they'll realize there's a demand for the plates.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I contacted Christina Haas - the only contact info I have there - asking who we can get to spearhead this.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”