Where's the Politics Thread?

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Where's the Politics Thread?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KeaneyBlue Community:

With the support of my dedicated moderators, I have decided to retire the Election 2016 Politics thread and eliminate dedicated general politics discussion from KeaneyBlue.

The Election 2016 thread was created in response to the increasing number of politically focused posts that were interrupting the discussion of our basketball program. It was easier during the basketball season to have a dedicated space to move political posts and isolate that type of discussion during and after the 2016 Election.

However, the level of moderation effort on these political posts has increased beyond a sustainable level and the discussion can no longer be considered relevant to this site. Further, the nature of politics divides this community during a time when we should be coming together and maximizing our support of the Rams.

Therefore, effective immediately, general political discussion is no longer welcome on KeaneyBlue. Those who would like to discuss politics are urged to explore other venues.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation, and continued support of this online community.

-Matt
Last edited by ATPTourFan 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Where's the Politics Thread?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, but that sucks, bigtime.
I would also point out, that one of your
moderators was a major participant in this thread.
What happens to our nation is so much
more important than the slow off season
of college basketball.
The thread was the only part of KB that was alive.
tRUMP would approve of such a draconian move.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rod, that's fair and it was discussed. I really wanted the thread to work and be a place where our conversation could venture outside of just basketball, as it would if we got together at a bar or something. But - speaking just for myself here, the other guys can speak for themselves - we just cannot have our board and our university associated with some of the things that were being said in that thread. This is a classic "this is why we can't have nice things" moment. Political disagreements are normal and to be expected, but the vile nature of some of the things that were being said go far beyond politics and risk making this board a place that civilized people won't come because they won't be associated with it. The last thing I want to have happen is that I tell a friend or co-worker to check out a great basketball discussion or recruiting gossip on keaneyblue and they click into an insane and disgusting rant extolling the virtues of white supremacy.

Truthfully, we don't have the time to monitor the board for that kind of stuff, nor do we have the desire to be forced to make a call on someone trying to straddle the line on what is or isn't appropriate. So we've kind of had our hand forced here. I enjoyed talking politics with most of you. It was fun while it lasted.
Last edited by TruePoint 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, but that sucks, bigtime.
I would also point out, that one of your
moderators was a major participant in this thread.
Correct, the moderators and I all participated at one point or another and to various degrees. There is no shortage of methods to participate in the political process. I'm not selling ads based on traffic to this site (there are no ads whatsoever here), so I could care less if it's slightly more "dead" in the off season. I would argue that there's been a ton of basketball related discussion this year since the season ended. I've barely kept up with the recruiting threads.

Nobody is entitled to discuss whatever they want here. Rules and policies evolve. Decisions are always carefully considered to enhance this community.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The tone was so bad, I simply ignored the topic. Unfortunately mods don't have that option, so I understand your position. There are plenty of places to debate this stuff.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I'm sorry to see this thread close as I think this type of dialogue needed to be shared and in some cases exposed. I do agree that speaking strictly about American politics would have been better, but sooner or later blatant hypocrisy and racism would eventually appear.
Mostly I missed reading the forum this morning before it was shut down. I'm sure it was interesting.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree with shutting down this thread.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a laugh. As per usual, the left/Trump hating pitchfork brigade is open to debate, except when you say something it doesn't agree with. In that case - SHUT IT DOWN!!! This is the most liberal thing ever. The truth hurts, doesn't it?
Anyway, I need to finish up Mein Kampf for my summer reading. Enjoy your safe space.
Last edited by 860_rhody 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The moderators cannot win in this situation, no matter what they decide....after a while I chose not to read the political stuff...like I curtailed my Facebook activity.....I say keep it here in the off-topic sections..then let the posters decide if they want to read it or contribute to it...

My two cents...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The decision is final. There were posts from both sides that had no place on this site.

It's my name on the site's domain registry. My credit card billed. I am not anonymous. The decision was mine.
9 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ ballsiest post in the thread...
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ATPTourFan wrote:The decision is final. There were posts from both sides that had no place on this site.

It's my name on the site's domain registry. My credit card billed. I am not anonymous. The decision was mine.
I have a lot of respect for the way that you have handled this forum in the past, and I understand that it's your option, but I don't regret anything that I have said. This has nothing to do with Trump, and everything to do with human decency. That's it.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Same here.
"I'm taking my ball and going home", sounds
silly to me.
It's a message board, not the NY Times.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It is Matt's persona on the line....I support you in what you did even if I don't agree with the premise....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I saw that coming. Once people decided certain things said were neo-Nazi jargon, I knew it would be gone.

It got too pissy at times. It was becoming a microcosm of the left right debates on a national scale. No compromises.

I will miss Rod's
fantastic, wonderful, unlevievable, greatest, best, terrific
Trump DISSES!
Believe me people, it'll be missed.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

It's the Board owners property. He can do what he likes with it. I would hope that posters would at least respect that.

From what I've seen the mods here are old school and practically have the patience of job compared to many forum mods nowadays. To say it's some liberal conspiracy to silence debate is not fair and I really doubt that was the case anyways.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

By the way, this is Not the new politics thread.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There's any number of places and ways to talk politics on the Internet. There's really only one place to talk University of Rhode Island on the Internet. I'm fine with ditching politics on here so this remains a viable place to talk University of Rhode Island. If you really want to continue talking politics on here, use private messages or say what political message board you think everyone should migrate to.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

lock.jpg
lock.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
2 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:By the way, this is Not the new politics thread.
You're going to need a Where's the Where's the Politics Thread? Thread?
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x