URI report on Channel 12 tonight at 5

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI report on Channel 12 tonight at 5

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Channel 12 is advertising a report on URI enrollment and the amount of out of state students we accept vs. in state. Granted it was only a 30 second ad, so it's hard to tell what tone the whole report will have, but it didn't seem to be one of those "you'll never believe what we uncovered" hit jobs.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: URI report on Channel 12 tonight at 5

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hopefully they educate the masses about he lack of state funding and the necessity of enrolling out of state students to literally keep the lights on.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So I posted this yesterday, thinking the report was supposed to air last night, which was my error. It's supposed to air tonight.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The focus of the report was on the high number of out of state students that attend URI:

Out-of-State Undergrads in 2016

University of New Hampshire: 54%
University of Rhode Island: 44%
University of Maine: 31%
University of Connecticut: 23%
University of Massachusetts Amherst: 23%

Link:
http://wpri.com/2017/01/12/why-more-out ... nding-uri/
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good. If the state kicked in the money to underwrite the costs of educating its own kids, as it is intended to work at a state university, then that number would go down (and in the long run the state's economy would improve).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Now talking about first two years of college for free in RI
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:Now talking about first two years of college for free in RI
What an awesome ideer...I'm sure the colleges will have no problem getting concessions on all of their costs...Just get all those cost-control groups together - teacher's unions, gas and electric companies, builders, security, building maintenance unions, etc....and as long as someone asks real nice....they'll all pitch in to make it happen. :lol:
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe if the state contributed to higher education all along, this gimmick wouldn't be needed. The state contributes 8%of URI's budget. If they contributed about 40%, then college WOULD be affordable. They should have been doing this all along.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Sure. The first two years will be free. Then 75% of the students will be out of state.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
What an awesome ideer...I'm sure the colleges will have no problem getting concessions on all of their costs...Just get all those cost-control groups together - teacher's unions, gas and electric companies, builders, security, building maintenance unions, etc....and as long as someone asks real nice....they'll all pitch in to make it happen. :lol:
That's what the Governor is now selling - 2 years free. Like we don't have a spending problem already.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
That's what the Governor is now selling - 2 years free. Like we don't have a spending problem already.
No, no...it's "free"....no "spending" involved. :roll:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
You'd think of all the places in the world that would be free (ha no pun intended) from this kind of backwards thinking it would be a place like this that is centered around an institution of higher learning. Spending money on educating the future work force and business and industry leaders in the state isn't part of the larger spending problem, it is an investment and ultimately a solution to a lot of the state's financial issues. It is shortsighted to complain about spending on education like it is of the same order as a lot of the actual wasteful spending that Rhode Island is famous for.

The state should be investing in URI not only by spending on infrastructure and generally contributing more to its operational budget, but also by ensuring that more of its native sons and daughters are able to avail themselves of the opportunities that the school offers. That is the role of the state with respect to a state university.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I find the people that tend to complain most about this are Baby Boomers, a generation that was able to attend these universities at very reasonable levels, then turned around when they were in charge and made those same universities unaffordable for so many. Truly the worst generation.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

For those who decided to post their enlightened opinion on the topic without first understanding the proposal, it is not the first two year at a four-year university. It would cover the junior and senior years. And before you say it, no someone couldn't get two free years at CCRI and then two more free years at RIC or URI.

The $30 million cost is peanuts compared to the amount of GDP this produce overall. The last thing this state needs is for people to boohoo big ideas that can produce positive change. This isn't 38 Studios. This has been done in other states and countries and the data shows its positive. And on this forum, more than any other, should be applauding this.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Anybody that has tried to find a new job in the last decade should know a high school diploma is no longer adequate unless you're going into a trade, giving everyone a chance for at least an associate's degree is a necessary step in society.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I find the people that tend to complain most about this are Baby Boomers, a generation that was able to attend these universities at very reasonable levels, then turned around when they were in charge and made those same universities unaffordable for so many. Truly the worst generation.

There are definitely progressives in my father's generation. Fortunately, my father is one of them and there are obviously tons of people from that generation that are decent people. But in general, that generation has done more damage to the world, especially financially, than maybe any generation in the history of the planet. That they get off on scolding millennials is ironic, if tragically sad. There are endless memes about this, but they all get to the same idea: these people inherited a planet from my grandparents' generation that was in as good a shape as at any time in its 4.5 billion year history, and they are turning it over to the next generation in tremendous peril - if it survives their final mistake (Trump) at all. And somehow they feel entitled to mock and belittle the next generation, as if they are completely unaware of how badly they have fucked things up.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My oldest son never set foot in a college classroom...and he's making almost a million dollars a year.......ambition and a brain are better than some piece of paper that's worthless if you don't know what to do with it.....

And millenials aren't exactly the brightest bulbs on the planet...they are part of the new "dumbed down" generation that spends their whole lives on their I phone and twitter and couldn't tell you who George Washington was......
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:My oldest son never set foot in a college classroom...and he's making almost a million dollars a year.......ambition and a brain are better than some piece of paper that's worthless if you don't know what to do with it.....

And millenials aren't exactly the brightest bulbs on the planet...they are part of the new "dumbed down" generation that spends their whole lives on their I phone and twitter and couldn't tell you who George Washington was......
Yeah let's make up our minds about the value of education because of rambone's anecdotal story of a million-dollar son.... Look at the facts. Last I checked college grads earn 80% than non college grads. So that piece of paper is not worthless at all. Is there going to be some people that make more money then a college grad who didn't go to college? Of course, but by and large the degree is more important than "ambition". I know plenty of "ambitious" people who don't have the right education to make it to where they want to be,

I'm part of that "dumbed down" generation and as a whole we are the most educated generation ever. The generation scores higher on IQ tests then any other generation. With that being said, we also score particularly high on such traits as extraversion, self-esteem, high expectations, and assertiveness. So we have some issues with narcissism, entitlement, and are often seen as self-absorbed. So take that for what its worth. We are also the most studied generation so there is that.

But yeah, baby boomers should be taking a lot of the blame. They were born into a time where education was widely available and inexpensive. There was unprecedented prosperity and a thriving job market. So what did they do when it was there turn to oversee America? They provided no leadership on any major American issue. They abandoned the War on Poverty and instead brought us into wars in the Middle East. They allowed the government to be hijacked by special interests who raided the government and brought the economy to its knees in 2008. And they started the hyper-partisanship we experience today.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Making stereotypical generational generalizations is a bad idea, would you all make the same generalizations about race or religion? Sexual orientation?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

When one category of people wields the most power, it is absolutely ok to judge how they've used or abused such power.

Edited to add, that considering how older people are so quick to judge younger generations, I'm ok with younger generations throwing it back and saying look in the mirror.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:My oldest son never set foot in a college classroom...and he's making almost a million dollars a year.......ambition and a brain are better than some piece of paper that's worthless if you don't know what to do with it.....

I phone, twitter and.......................does KeaneyBlue count since both generations use it? :lol: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:Making stereotypical generational generalizations is a bad idea, would you all make the same generalizations about race or religion? Sexual orientation?
"My only regret (besides the fact that millenials may not get the reference) is that I have but one like to give for this post."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:When one category of people wields the most power, it is absolutely ok to judge how they've used or abused such power.

Edited to add, that considering how older people are so quick to judge younger generations, I'm ok with younger generations throwing it back and saying look in the mirror.
Wow...'worst generation ever'... Now, that's a unity builder if I ever saw one...not divisive at all.

I love millenials...both of my awesome kids are millenials (one liberal, one conservative). I'm curious to know when the official 'wielding most of the power' gets handed over to millenials, so we can see how they do. But, we'll probably never really know, since it will have been handed over in such bad shape (millenial/presidential excuse?) :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, there seems to be a growing divide on this board....it's getting nasty and covers more than just URI BB......just like the country as a whole.....

It's bad and getting worse.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:208, there seems to be a growing divide on this board....it's getting nasty and covers more than just URI BB......just like the country as a whole.....

There seems to be a growing divide because there seems to be a growing amount of dumb things said on this board.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:208, there seems to be a growing divide on this board....it's getting nasty and covers more than just URI BB......just like the country as a whole.....

There seems to be a growing divide because there seems to be a growing amount of dumb things said on this board.
Really? I can't say that there has been a marked year over year increase in dumb things said...rate seems to be pretty flat/steady?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is the single most dumbest political stunt. Just fund the freakin University like you're supposed to so a higher education is affordable to in state students. It's not rocket science. And it shouldn't be used as a political stunt to get votes. 8% state funded University. It is a disgrace.
3 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:

Really? I can't say that there has been a marked year over year increase in dumb things said...rate seems to be pretty flat/steady?
Of course you can't say, you've only joined a year ago :)
1 x