Letter in Projo About Fine Arts Center

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Letter in Projo About Fine Arts Center

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I usually support URI bond issues, I am torn about this. This building was a dump the year it opened.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody74 wrote:While I usually support URI bond issues, I am torn about this. This building was a dump the year it opened.
OK, but...why is that a good reason for not pursuing a good Fine Arts building?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looks like the same exact building to me. Hasn't changed a bit.

This was the design that they wanted. That's Fine Arts for you. This is exactly what they wanted it to look like.

Now I guess there is a trendier art design out there?

Invest in Pharmacy, Chemistry, Engineering, Innovative Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics..........

I'd invest in Meade Stands before Fine Arts building
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

She wasn't looking at the engineering buildings, construction hasn't started yet.

A Fine Arts renovation is tentatively scheduled to be on the 2018 ballot.

And nice of ramster to come in hot and wrong. While yes the building will be undergoing an exterior redesign, the major function of the renovation is the building is substandard and in need of repairs. And a university shouldn't be investing in division two football over academic buildings. Let's see the boosters start investing in football. Want a CAA program? Open your wallets, put in the work and be CAA level boosters for a change.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Again,
That fine arts building was ugly from Day 1. � would not help it now or ever.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'd rather support a new building than that sorry excuse for a fine arts center.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:Again,
That fine arts building was ugly from Day 1. � would not help it now or ever.
Rhody74 wrote:I'd rather support a new building than that sorry excuse for a fine arts center.
I don't understand these two comments in the context of the article. It seems like you agreeing with author, but the tone of your comments is as if you think you are disagreeing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

She could have just looked at Kirk across the street which opened in the late 90s... still looks nice and puts Fine Arts to shame.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fair point, Kirk is still very nice looking and will be part of the new engineering complex. The way I read her comments I thought she was talking about the buildings on Flagg Rd.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I understand that there are more important investments at URI, but this building is a black hole on campus. Being right next to a major parking lot, and on located on Upper College Road allows a lot of visitors to see i'ts poor condition. It needs to be cleaned up AT A MINIMUM.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

That whole upper campus area is way under utilized. The Hellenic amphitheater was never completed, isn't that barricaded off? What's the story with the Hotel? And the Kingston Emporium, not owned by the University, is in need of a revamp, a Kingston Village type design with a commons, and maybe apartments would be great.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Emporium looks like shit.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In the last budget there was supposed to be money for a feasibility study for the hotel. That project isn't dead, but it seems to be fading. In addition to the problems already mentioned with Upper College Road, it also appears the University Club is closed.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:In the last budget there was supposed to be money for a feasibility study for the hotel. That project isn't dead, but it seems to be fading. In addition to the problems already mentioned with Upper College Road, it also appears the University Club is closed.
Last I knew, they still wanted to do a hotel, but it's probably more on the "want" list than the "need" list. The U-Club is still closed, as far as I know.

And yeah ATP, I agree with you - The Emporium just seems in a state of disrepair. I'm not sure how much influence the university has up there, since they don't own the property, but they could probably siphon off some of the business by keeping the Union open longer and providing more offerings there. Ronzio's is out for now, maybe they can put in a fresher food place there.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

OBRAM wrote:That whole upper campus area is way under utilized. The Hellenic amphitheater was never completed, isn't that barricaded off? What's the story with the Hotel? And the Kingston Emporium, not owned by the University, is in need of a revamp, a Kingston Village type design with a commons, and maybe apartments would be great.
The amphitheater is still at a halt, it's been about 5-6 years not since construction was started/stopped. It's a disgrace and of course it happens at the worst building on campus. I believe it was a financial problem, as it usually is. The emporium is tricky since it is privately owned, but there must be legislation or something about keeping up the quality and aesthetic of your property, especially since it's practically part of the URI campus.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:In the last budget there was supposed to be money for a feasibility study for the hotel. That project isn't dead, but it seems to be fading. In addition to the problems already mentioned with Upper College Road, it also appears the University Club is closed.
Last I knew, they still wanted to do a hotel, but it's probably more on the "want" list than the "need" list. The U-Club is still closed, as far as I know.

And yeah ATP, I agree with you - The Emporium just seems in a state of disrepair. I'm not sure how much influence the university has up there, since they don't own the property, but they could probably siphon off some of the business by keeping the Union open longer and providing more offerings there. Ronzio's is out for now, maybe they can put in a fresher food place there.
I always kind of felt like the Union wasn't really used properly when I was there either. Maybe its changed since then, but when I was back last summer it still seemed about the same. Since it was the summer though it was hard to tell.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Seems like something could be done with Emporium, get tax breaks for it to be privately rebuilt. Make something like a mini Storrs Village at UConn. Prov Place Mall got tax breaks I believe.
Smaller version of Storrs Center. http://www.storrscenter.com/
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

It's very difficult because Fine Arts are a very hard sell to put money into. The output of talent from the program just doesn't make the university a whole lot of money or solid press to capitalize on (unlike engineering, Marine Bio etc.)

The real focus though is that the building is in a reprehensible state - 70's carpeting, mold, bad temperature controls, rotting wood, just to name a few. The fine arts students pay the same amount as everyone else to go to URI and unfortunately get put on the back burner in favor of other departments.

Time to give them at LEAST a renovation, if not a brand new building. Hopefully in 2-4 years that may become a reality.
0 x