Local Microbreweries

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Local Microbreweries

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Made it to Foolproof last night (finally) - my advice is to go with someone familiar with the neighborhood. Place was smaller than I thought. Big selection though (13 choices)...had the Federal Hill Pale Ale and the Backyahd IPA (and remembered why I didn't like the latter so much.) The Federal Hill was great, I thought. So good in fact that my buddy and I went to the car to get growlers to fill and got up to the counter and..."Sorry guys, we only fill our own growlers - company policy.." Well, a great big freekn "booooo" to that... Good news is that they expect to can the Federal Hill and should see it in stores within the next couple weeks.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Made it to Foolproof last night (finally) - my advice is to go with someone familiar with the neighborhood. Place was smaller than I thought. Big selection though (13 choices)...had the Federal Hill Pale Ale and the Backyahd IPA (and remembered why I didn't like the latter so much.) The Federal Hill was great, I thought. So good in fact that my buddy and I went to the car to get growlers to fill and got up to the counter and..."Sorry guys, we only fill our own growlers - company policy.." Well, a great big freekn "booooo" to that... Good news is that they expect to can the Federal Hill and should see it in stores within the next couple weeks.

In Massachusetts it's the law that you can only fill your own growlers
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right, and we were aware of that, but Foolproof is in Pawtucket, isn't it?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Right, and we were aware of that, but Foolproof is in Pawtucket, isn't it?
It is. My comment was more to put that info out there and not to cede the Bucket to Mass. I'm sure Foolproof has their reasons. Maybe it's marketing based, maybe they like the extra revenue from the paid deposit. Who knows.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SIAP, but if anyone gets up to my neck of the woods much, Trillium is one of the best five or so breweries in the world and their Canton location is about a four minute drive from me. I more or less live on this stuff, but there are other great breweries up this way. Another of the best breweries in the world is out toward Wilbraham, MA - Treehouse brewery is in the middle of nowhere but worth the trip. Also worth the long wait in line, which is something I don't have to deal with at Trillium because I can pop in at random times.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

TruePoint wrote:Trillium is one of the best five or so breweries in the world and their Canton location is about a four minute drive from me.
Was there on Friday. Not sure if best 5 in the world but they do make some outstanding stuff. Really really great beer. Well worth it.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So I almost said in the country, but I am so biased toward American IPAs at this point that I consider the best breweries in America to be the best in the world. I remember when I was in college, if you liked "good beer" that meant you liked imported beer. I'm also guilty of hyperbole sometimes, but both Trillium and Treehouse are well represented among the Beer Advocate top-100. I guess ultimately which brewery or breweries are the best is pretty subjective but there are very few breweries in the world as good as Trillium - whether that number is 3 or 30 or whatever.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I know, I know.. The beer blows..

Here is a video, although it doesn't do this place justice

Best time to go is a sunny weekend during the day and party outside

Been there many a time

(Just sneak in your own beer.. LOL)

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:So I almost said in the country, but I am so biased toward American IPAs at this point that I consider the best breweries in America to be the best in the world. I remember when I was in college, if you liked "good beer" that meant you liked imported beer. I'm also guilty of hyperbole sometimes, but both Trillium and Treehouse are well represented among the Beer Advocate top-100. I guess ultimately which brewery or breweries are the best is pretty subjective but there are very few breweries in the world as good as Trillium - whether that number is 3 or 30 or whatever.
gulp.....American IPAs are the best out there and the best breweries in America are the best in the world. All true. Went to Trillium on a very busy Sat afternoon, loved the product, just wasn't real flexible on time - great advantage for you living close for crowd-timing.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My wife and I went to the Trapping brewery in Spencer, MA. 1st class facility built to Belgian specs. Outstanding beer ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Spencer Trappist ale is excellent. Have to say...this conversation made me thirsty today so I stopped by trillium for a growler of Scaled Up on my way home from the office. No line no fuss. What a world we live in.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Galaxy and Process/Progress #6 available at Proclamation. The Galaxy seems to be a really good batch...little different than previous...liking that one a lot. The P/P #6 looks like it's new, with Azacca and Mosaic hops...nice.

Question...they sell 4 packs of 16 oz cans for $15. That's the same price they charge to fill your 64 oz growler. Seems it would be cheaper for them to fill growlers? So, is it really just as expensive, or are they just charging the same price for a growler 'because they can'?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cans are a convenience? I was there yesterday and tried the Tridium (sp?) and Process/Progress IPAs. Enjoyed each.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Cans are a convenience? I was there yesterday and tried the Tridium (sp?) and Process/Progress IPAs. Enjoyed each.
Depending on batch quality, they are...but would think that's why they would be more expensive than growlers. Growler...I hand it over, they fill it. Cans, they need a canning line, have to fill, seal and buy lables. Oh well....I'm thinking it's 'because they can.'

We mighta been there at the same time...thinking "Tendril" maybe?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Cans are a convenience? I was there yesterday and tried the Tridium (sp?) and Process/Progress IPAs. Enjoyed each.
Depending on batch quality, they are...but would think that's why they would be more expensive than growlers. Growler...I hand it over, they fill it. Cans, they need a canning line, have to fill, seal and buy lables. Oh well....I'm thinking it's 'because they can.'

We mighta been there at the same time...thinking "Tendril" maybe?
Grey Sail claims cans keep beer fresher. I dunno, I still prefer bottles.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I used to prefer bottles, too, but I think with today's cans, it's product-determined (and Grey Sail might be right)...I always use a glass anyway. A brewer friend told me that canning technology has made great leaps in the last few years, I have to agree.

Still don't get why 4 16 oz cans cost the same as a growler.
You can't get 4 quarts of milk for the same price as a gallon?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bucket has similar pricing if you buy at the brewery - The cans cost roughly the same as a growler, even if you're just doing a refill. I'm not sure why, but we usually go with cans as a result, since they'll stay fresher longer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I agree cans stay fresher longer, but there's something about a fresh growler, especially if it's a good batch. And, with some of the microbrewers...some batches are better than others. Also, some of the cans tend to (and say on the label) that they may have sediment...which is okaaay, but I prefer the growler freshness (and if you open with a day or so, usually no sediment, but same full taste. Of course, need to have a partner to ensure it gets finished in the same session it gets opened. I think it's funny when people ask how long a growler will stay fresh...seems like if they fill it right (to the top with no air), it'll stay fresh until you open it...but once you open it...don't plan on saving any for the next day...

I wonder if the pricing is because most of these places started out with growlers, at a price point that probably couldn't go much higher...recognized they can't really price the cans any higher, but don't want (or have) to lower growler fill prices either?

Oh well, probably going to one of the local 3 today (Proc, Tilted, or Whalers...to echo previous post, "What a world we live in") ...will have to ask...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Newburyport Brewing joins The Guild in Pawtucket

http://www.valleybreeze.com/2016-10-03/ ... AJiGSS2W70
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

FYi - New brewery opening up in Cranston, Buttonwoods Brewery.

Website isn't functioning yet, but will be located here...
http://www.buttonwoodsbrewery.com/

Head brewer is a former assistant brewer at the Bronx Brewery.

Although their brewery isn't functional yet, they did (somehow?) pour at a beer fest in Brooklyn the previous weekend.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Newburyport Brewing joins The Guild in Pawtucket

http://www.valleybreeze.com/2016-10-03/ ... AJiGSS2W70
Interesting, I just recently started seeing their MeltAway session at a local store. Not bad at all.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

spookydog wrote:FYi - New brewery opening up in Cranston, Buttonwoods Brewery.

Website isn't functioning yet, but will be located here...
http://www.buttonwoodsbrewery.com/

Head brewer is a former assistant brewer at the Bronx Brewery.

Although their brewery isn't functional yet, they did (somehow?) pour at a beer fest in Brooklyn the previous weekend.
Curious name for a brewery based in Cranston. Someone needs to teach these folks some local geography. That said this is five minutes from my house so....Hooray!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Didn't know this thread existed until a friend pointed it out. Some excellent comments.
I thought, in general, people were being too harsh on Stony Creek, and I'm not sure what "trust fund money" tastes like. I think the Cranky series is decent.
Went to Trillium last week and enjoyed the beers. Brought home a four pack, also very good. I must say, though, that these nano-breweries need to be careful. 22.50 for a four pack?
A shakeout is coming as craft beer growth is slowing and breweries keep opening.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree that there has to be a shakeout...lots of decent product at barely tolerable, but also too many that just seem way overpriced. $15 a 4 pack at the Proc is too high, $22.50 is just insane...

In Costa Rica (San Jose) and asked my business hosts if there was any place around here to get a good IPA...we're off to a place that supposedly has 200 kinds of beer, so we'll see....
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Any advice on mainland Portuguese beer? (I'm m vacationing here.) I like the wine, but I miss having a brew. THE two main brands appear to be Sagres and Super Bok? Any others?
Last edited by Rhody74 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote:Any advice on mainland Portuguese beer? (I'm m vacationing here.) I like the wine, but I miss having a brew. THE two main brands appear to be Sagres and Super Bok? Any others?
Eeeek. Good luck. Portugal is not exactly a hotbed for beer. The only decent thing that I recall having was Post Scriptum.

http://postscriptumbrewery.com/home.php
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Well, I just had an anonymous pils in Sintra that was pretty good...
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Probably d/t acquired taste, but seems pretty tough to beat an American IPA...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Had this in CR, not bad...by far the best we had anywhere else...Treintaycinco La Pelona. Sort of a milder IPA, but as IPA-ish as anything we found there.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Both the "33" (Larry??) and the Milo at the Tilted Barn...are top notch...where's the 'thumbs up' emoji? ;)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Off to the Tilted Barn...First Harvest Mosaic....

Tastes great. "Juicy", like the Rhody fball lines...moderate IBUs...very drinkable.

Really have to give that place credit...Not a very big space at all, but almost always 2-3 really tasty products.

Kudos to those guys...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Stopped by Proclamation before the Dartmouth game and tried "The Stalk" double IPA. Big fan.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That is good stuff (I like the Citra and Mosaic better, but the Stalk is also quite good)...still don't understand why they (or Whalers, or Tilted) can't get a promotional keg or two to the games...I'm sure they would donate one or two for the publicity and the school could make 100% profit on it...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good news...Mosaic and Citra are back at the Proc...tastings and growlers...ya-hoo.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good to see that Tilted Barn has the "33" and "First Harvest: Mosaic" available today.

Highly recommend both. See you there?

Mosaic at the Proc is an awesome batch as well...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seems like Proclamation could be a good pre-game spot when the hours lined up?
Don't think there's anywhere closer to the RC - under 2 miles- to get a bev (and a good one at that), is there?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good idea.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Seems like Proclamation could be a good pre-game spot when the hours lined up?
Don't think there's anywhere closer to the RC - under 2 miles- to get a bev (and a good one at that), is there?
Get there while you can this season because they are moving to Warwick next year.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

http://www.proclamationaleco.com/single ... -Boy-Pants

Sounds like they're moving a little bit more north. Happy for the company, but stinks they're leaving that awesome location!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awww crap! Thx for letting us know. I will have to make the most of working literally across the street from them now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sukkfest....am right around the corner....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Awww crap! Thx for letting us know. I will have to make the most of working literally across the street from them now.
Well...let's meet up there then...I work at home, right around the corner...very flexible sched...
Would like to meet up with any other interested KB boarders there as well...
How about Thurs and/or Fri ... 430ish?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Trick is, I have to pick up my son from school at 5 those days... I don't have the best flexibility of schedule.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Trick is, I have to pick up my son from school at 5 those days... I don't have the best flexibility of schedule.
Got it...so...330 then? :lol:
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

In CT for the holidays and hit up Stony Creek tonight. Pretty cool place, I could see how it would be a lot of fun in the summer. Little different vibe when its about 8 degrees out. Beer was good, not great, but nothing to complain about. The Cranky series was good. And I am a total San Diego beer snob after all.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:In CT for the holidays and hit up Stony Creek tonight. Pretty cool place, I could see how it would be a lot of fun in the summer. Little different vibe when its about 8 degrees out. Beer was good, not great, but nothing to complain about. The Cranky series was good. And I am a total San Diego beer snob after all.
If you can make it into Rhody-town for the game this weekend, Tilted Barn would be a good post-game stop, I think you'd like it. Not sure what SD beer is like, but if you like tasty, not too hoppy, sessionable beers...this is a good place. Close by campus, would be a good meet-up place post HC game on Sunday.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:In CT for the holidays and hit up Stony Creek tonight. Pretty cool place, I could see how it would be a lot of fun in the summer. Little different vibe when its about 8 degrees out. Beer was good, not great, but nothing to complain about. The Cranky series was good. And I am a total San Diego beer snob after all.
If you can make it into Rhody-town for the game this weekend, Tilted Barn would be a good post-game stop, I think you'd like it. Not sure what SD beer is like, but if you like tasty, not too hoppy, sessionable beers...this is a good place. Close by campus, would be a good meet-up place post HC game on Sunday.
Good to know, thanks. Got some family commitments Sunday so HC game is out but trying to make it up for the William & Mary game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Great day to head over to the Tilted Barn and stock up for the weekend. Nice to see them constantly have multiple tasty options these days. Their expansion/additional equipment is making a nice difference.

Cheers!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Looks like a trip to Jack's Abby on Friday is in store.

Has anyone tried, from Revival: "You thirsty? New England IPA"? Just saw a write-up on it in a local mag and sounds pretty good.
Not able to find in any local stores, considering dropping by Brutopiua/Revival to check it out and see if I can get some...

So, change of plans...looks like Brutopia around 1 tomoro. Anyone ever been there?
0 x