Toll Gantries

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Toll Gantries

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

AS much as I understand the arguments against the tolls, other states are making millions off of in-state and out of state drivers where the money goes towards their infrastructure. AN article I just read stated that NJ (although not comparable to RI in terms of amount of drivers) makes 1.4 billion dollars a year from tolls. “Toll money covers our operating expenses; lowing snow; maintaining bridge decks; filling potholes; mowing grass; pays for state police,”. Lots of states benefit greatly from tolls, RI is a poor state, why not get our taste? Maybe i'm slightly ignorant, but It's just my opinion.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote:
theblueram wrote: True if that is what they are saying. But it's not. They are saying they are only tolling trucks. If they are tolling everyone but cars are free, all they would have to do is increase the toll on cars the next budget cycle. That is where this is going.
In your opinion, correct? Or do you have something beyond that?

I agree that RI has a spending problem and I wish I could vote out just about everyone in the GA, but any rep/senator who votes for general tolling of passenger vehicles is committing career suicide.
Beyond what? The bill is to only toll trucks. Not all trucks. But just yellow and blue trucks. We will see what happens in court.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:AS much as I understand the arguments against the tolls, other states are making millions off of in-state and out of state drivers where the money goes towards their infrastructure. AN article I just read stated that NJ (although not comparable to RI in terms of amount of drivers) makes 1.4 billion dollars a year from tolls. “Toll money covers our operating expenses; lowing snow; maintaining bridge decks; filling potholes; mowing grass; pays for state police,”. Lots of states benefit greatly from tolls, RI is a poor state, why not get our taste? Maybe i'm slightly ignorant, but It's just my opinion.
RM05, where does the other billions of dollars NJ collects from taxes go? Every time I go through a toll, I give the middle finger salute.A toll is a tax. Plain and simple. And it causes traffic which pisses me off. 45% of households pay NO TAX to the feds. I'm all about giving a man a hand up when he's down, but half this country is on the dole. and I'm sick of paying for it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

None of the tolls in RI will cause traffic. You don't even have to slow down.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:AS much as I understand the arguments against the tolls, other states are making millions off of in-state and out of state drivers where the money goes towards their infrastructure. AN article I just read stated that NJ (although not comparable to RI in terms of amount of drivers) makes 1.4 billion dollars a year from tolls. “Toll money covers our operating expenses; lowing snow; maintaining bridge decks; filling potholes; mowing grass; pays for state police,”. Lots of states benefit greatly from tolls, RI is a poor state, why not get our taste? Maybe i'm slightly ignorant, but It's just my opinion.
RM05, where does the other billions of dollars NJ collects from taxes go? Every time I go through a toll, I give the middle finger salute.A toll is a tax. Plain and simple. And it causes traffic which pisses me off. 45% of households pay NO TAX to the feds. I'm all about giving a man a hand up when he's down, but half this country is on the dole. and I'm sick of paying for it.
We have a progressive tax system based upon a principle of equal marginal sacrifice. To say half the country lives on the dole because they pay no federal tax is simply untrue. The welfare system is about $150 billion. The Wall Street bailout was $700 billion. If you want to get pissed off about paying for something. Why not get pissed at the rich people getting bailed out for screwing up the economy instead of poor people you saw buy Doritos with their food stamps instead of getting apples.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
We have a progressive tax system based upon a principle of equal marginal sacrifice. To say half the country lives on the dole because they pay no federal tax is simply untrue. The welfare system is about $150 billion. The Wall Street bailout was $700 billion. If you want to get pissed off about paying for something. Why not get pissed at the rich people getting bailed out for screwing up the economy instead of poor people you saw buy Doritos with their food stamps instead of getting apples.
you're kidding, right? $150 billion for welfare?

what about Medicaid....

"Just last week, former congressman and governor Ernie Fletcher (R-KY) told the Senate Finance Committee that "Medicaid has grown to consume about 22 percent of state budgets and will consume about $4.6 trillion of Washington's budget over the next 10 years."

Marginal sacrifice???? If you aint paying, you aint sacrificing. Get real.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

"In 2014, people with adjusted gross income, or AGI, above $250,000 paid just over half (51.6%) of all individual income taxes, though they accounted for only 2.7% of all returns filed"

yeah, this is a real fucking fair system. 2.7% of all tax filers paid over 50% of federal taxes. By contrast, people with incomes of less than $50,000 accounted for 62.3% of all individual returns filed, but they paid just 5.7% of total taxes. Their average tax rate was 4.3%. We live in a country of poor people supported by the rich. But they still want more. smh
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yes we should definitely make poor people pay the same amount of taxes as well-off people. Cmon man. I hate writing a check to the Treasury every April as much as the next guy, but the bright side is that we made it I guess. I don't mind doing my part. People with more should pay more, and even with a regressive tax regime like a flat tax you'd still have the people making the most paying the most taxes so I think the quote you posted was kind of worthless garbage.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TP, what is wrong with a flat tax? No deductions, loopholes, lawyers (oops sorry) etc. If you make a dollar, you pay 10 cents. Someone making $50,000, would pay $5,000. Someone making a million would pay $100,000. That seems fair to me. What we have now is the guy making $50,000 pays no taxes and the guy making a million is paying about $300,000.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The guy making a million can afford the 300k far easier than a guy making 50k can afford the 5k. Furthermore, most flat tax proposals do not tax capital gains, so wealthier people would actually pay a much lower rate than poor people. Other flat tax proposals have focused on taxing consumption rather than earnings, which would obviously be extremely regressive because someone making 50k is going to spend every cent they make, whereas someone making a million would likely not spend all of their earnings.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But the guy making a million earned every cent just like the guy who made 50k. So why stick it to the guy who is smart? I favor a tax like the Turks and Caicos. Import duties. No income tax at all. But imports are taxed at 30-40%. With our trade imbalance, that would satisfy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Poor people are poor because they are lazy or drug addicts. I was poor growing up, but I was poor due to my parents. I'm not poor anymore because I went to school, and grad school. So some lazy high school drop out gets a free ride???? I think they need to feel some pain.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Poor people are poor because they are lazy or drug addicts. I was poor growing up, but I was poor due to my parents. I'm not poor anymore because I went to school, and grad school. So some lazy high school drop out gets a free ride???? I think they need to feel some pain.
We are getting way off track here, but I really think this is wrong. There may be some poor people that are poor because they're lazy or drug addicted, but there a million reason why people are poor. Mostly people are poor just because we have a system that creates winners and losers. I'm an unapologetic capitalist, but it isn't a perfect system and people don't have a choice whether they want to be a part of it. Everyone can't win. The people with the most have benefitted the most from the system. Asking them to share enough of their spoils to ensure that everyone has a minimum acceptable standard of living is the ethical and moral obligation of the people who succeed. It's just an overhead cost for having our system. It's the human equivalent of paying your water bill. You can't allow people to just starve to death because they aren't good enough at capitalism, especially since so many of those people are children who haven't even had a chance yet.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:Poor people are poor because they are lazy or drug addicts. I was poor growing up, but I was poor due to my parents. I'm not poor anymore because I went to school, and grad school. So some lazy high school drop out gets a free ride???? I think they need to feel some pain.
We are getting way off track here, but I really think this is wrong. There may be some poor people that are poor because they're lazy or drug addicted, but there a million reason why people are poor. Mostly people are poor just because we have a system that creates winners and losers. I'm an unapologetic capitalist, but it isn't a perfect system and people don't have a choice whether they want to be a part of it. Everyone can't win. The people with the most have benefitted the most from the system. Asking them to share enough of their spoils to ensure that everyone has a minimum acceptable standard of living is the ethical and moral obligation of the people who succeed. It's just an overhead cost for having our system. It's the human equivalent of paying your water bill. You can't allow people to just starve to death because they aren't good enough at capitalism, especially since so many of those people are children who haven't even had a chance yet.
Have you been poor? I have. So poor I went without food. Remember powdered milk? I do. I refused to drink it. It made me really want to get out of poverty. Which I did. Government cheese? Big boxes of yellow cheese? Yeah, had that too. My parents were dirt poor but emphasized education. When I was 10 years old I couldn't wait to go to college.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is easily one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. Wow.

So were your parents poor because they were lazy or because they were drug addicts?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This might be the new dumbest thing I've read on this board. If I ever came close to typing something this ignorant I'd cut off my own hands with a rusty saw before I posted my message. All that education you supposedly received certainly didn't give you any class or make you any wiser to how the world works.

Then again, I'm pretty sure you're the same clown that said a game that wasn't officially scheduled was a must win, so you have a history of being a garbage poster.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Have you been poor? I have. So poor I went without food. Remember powdered milk? I do. I refused to drink it. It made me really want to get out of poverty. Which I did. Government cheese? Big boxes of yellow cheese? Yeah, had that too. My parents were dirt poor but emphasized education. When I was 10 years old I couldn't wait to go to college.
blueram, I know you in real life and I know you're a good guy. You've been generous to me, personally. And I appreciate you sharing that about your life and I think you should be proud to have overcome obstacles to succeed. But I wish you would reconsider your harsh views on this. Poor people aren't the enemy. And nobody wants to be poor. Like I said before, there are a million reasons why a person could end up poor, many of them beyond the individual's control. Not everyone is born with the capacity to overcome difficult circumstances, or is given the resources to do so, or has circumstances that lend themselves to being overcome.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Really though, you don't even have to agree with the taxation based on morality. The fact is, if you want a working economy, you need to have adequate demand. The only way your going to have adequate demand is if people have disposable income to but shit. People don't become rich all on their own, they need people to buy their products. Henry Ford understood that when he knew that he needed to pay his employees a wage where they could afford the cars they were making.

This whole idea that rich people will create jobs with their tax money is bullshit. They are only going to create jobs when there is demand for their goods and services. When is there going to be demand? When people have money to spend or the government artificially creates it.

So, really, you have two choices. Either redistribute wealth by taxation or continue to let the government artificially create demand by creating housing, credit, and student loan bubbles. Going with the latter strategy gets you the 2008 recession when the bubbles burst.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Alternatively, we could loosen up the unionization rules in the private sector and let people actually negotiate for a livable wage. Wouldn't that be a novel idea.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:

So were your parents poor because they were lazy or because they were drug addicts?
yup, both.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Really though, you don't even have to agree with the taxation based on morality. The fact is, if you want a working economy, you need to have adequate demand. The only way your going to have adequate demand is if people have disposable income to but shit. People don't become rich all on their own, they need people to buy their products. Henry Ford understood that when he knew that he needed to pay his employees a wage where they could afford the cars they were making.

This whole idea that rich people will create jobs with their tax money is bullshit. They are only going to create jobs when there is demand for their goods and services. When is there going to be demand? When people have money to spend or the government artificially creates it.

So, really, you have two choices. Either redistribute wealth by taxation or continue to let the government artificially create demand by creating housing, credit, and student loan bubbles. Going with the latter strategy gets you the 2008 recession when the bubbles burst.
going to the former gets you a communist state. I stood on the line against east germany during the cold war. perhaps you are too young to remember communism.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

sorry for the multiple posts but....

TP, your a lawyer. take a look at your clients. Besides disabilities, why are people poor? Give me one reason other than a physical or mental disability why some would be poor. And make sure you think about my lazy comment regarding the reasons. Because things can be overcome if you are not lazy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:Alternatively, we could loosen up the unionization rules in the private sector and let people actually negotiate for a livable wage. Wouldn't that be a novel idea.
Ha! I don't know where to start. I've been negotiating my living wage all my life. I don't need a union to do it for me. And I work in the private sector. I'm doing just fine. Thank me very much.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:sorry for the multiple posts but....

TP, your a lawyer. take a look at your clients. Besides disabilities, why are people poor? Give me one reason other than a physical or mental disability why some would be poor. And make sure you think about my lazy comment regarding the reasons. Because things can be overcome if you are not lazy.
My clients are multinational corporations, so not sure they are a good gauge. But in my personal experience, people can be poor because they have bad luck, or because their job got "downsized," or their skill became obsolete, or because they got sick and were bankrupted by the medical bills, or because they pursued a passion like social service or art, or because they made mistakes when they were young and pay for them for the rest of their lives, or because they grew up in a home that did not stress the right priorities and nobody ever showed them how to not be poor, or because they have been discriminated against, or because they tried to start a business and it failed, or because they got their clock cleaned in a divorce, or because they never learned how to manage their money, or any combination of the above or any of the other thousands of reasons I didn't think of. And we aren't even counting the countless people who are disabled and unable to make a living, because you told me not to, but that represents a huge portion of people living near or below the poverty line.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:

yup, both.
So that explains why you hold that opinion then. You are still very very wrong though.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:

going to the former gets you a communist state. I stood on the line against east germany during the cold war. perhaps you are too young to remember communism.
Yeah so nothing I said has to do with communism. Did I somewhere mention that the state should own the entire means of production because I didn't think I did? Maybe you should read a couple books on economics so you understand supply and demand.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:Alternatively, we could loosen up the unionization rules in the private sector and let people actually negotiate for a livable wage. Wouldn't that be a novel idea.
Ha! I don't know where to start. I've been negotiating my living wage all my life. I don't need a union to do it for me. And I work in the private sector. I'm doing just fine. Thank me very much.
Good for you but the average wage adjusted for inflation has not been growing. Productivity has risen a great deal but wages hasn't. Just because you've done well doesn't mean you get to tell everyone how it is when the facts show something entirely different.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

So in the beginning you said most poor people are poor because they are lazy or on drugs. Just so you know, about 30% of poor people suffer from mental illness and another 20% work full-time in low-wage jobs. That's 50% right there. Never mind the inclusion of physical disability and the many reasons TruePoint gave above. Your entire argument is straight up wrong.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote: This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Really though, you don't even have to agree with the taxation based on morality. The fact is, if you want a working economy, you need to have adequate demand. The only way your going to have adequate demand is if people have disposable income to but shit. People don't become rich all on their own, they need people to buy their products. Henry Ford understood that when he knew that he needed to pay his employees a wage where they could afford the cars they were making.

Yeah so nothing I said has to do with communism. Did I somewhere mention that the state should own the entire means of production because I didn't think I did? Maybe you should read a couple books on economics so you understand supply and demand.
Any time you talk about redistributing MY wealth, well sir, we are gonna have a really big problem. My wealth has been gained through a life long, back breaking, sacrificing mission I chose for myself. I'm not giving any of to anyone unless there is a good reason.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:

So in the beginning you said most poor people are poor because they are lazy or on drugs. Just so you know, about 30% of poor people suffer from mental illness and another 20% work full-time in low-wage jobs. That's 50% right there. Never mind the inclusion of physical disability and the many reasons TruePoint gave above. Your entire argument is straight up wrong.
My teenage daughter works in a low wage job. Since she was 14. She makes $11 an hour plus tips. I really don't buy the low wage jobs argument since you can go to school to better yourself. If you are 35 years old, making minimum wage or just above, well, your either lazy or you have a mental or physical disability.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they count my daughter as being poor?? Is everyone who makes minimum wage counted as being poor?? I would think/bet they are. And most people who make minimum wage are teenagers. Hmmm....sounds like a democrat in a blender.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Life can be very cruel. Reading all of this "Toll Gantries" thread has confirmed it.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:Now that I think about it, I wonder if they count my daughter as being poor?? Is everyone who makes minimum wage counted as being poor?? I would think/bet they are. And most people who make minimum wage are teenagers. Hmmm....sounds like a democrat in a blender.
You just believe whatever you want to believe I guess... Here is some facts for you:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... imum-wage/

As you can see, most people who make minimum wages are not teenagers. Also, they calculate poverty by your annual income and take into account dependents and such. So it will not count children who live with their parents as living in poverty unless the parents are also living in poverty. I find it entirely unrealistic that you think your wealth generated is 100% your hard work. If you are a URI grad, that alone makes that statement false. URI is funded partly by your tuition, the state, and the foundation. So like it or not, other people have contributed to your success.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I find it entirely unrealistic that you think your wealth generated is 100% your hard work. If you are a URI grad, that alone makes that statement false. URI is funded partly by your tuition, the state, and the foundation. So like it or not, other people have contributed to your success.
I find it entirely realistic he believes this, it's just that he's 100% wrong. Based on what he's said of his parent's situation I find it highly unlikely he went to private schools growing up and his parents didn't pay enough in taxes to cover his school costs, so the public absolutely has subsidized his education. An education which allowed him to achieve. And that doesn't even get into the argument that the public's investment in infrastructure, defense and education of other people have allowed him to have a market to make his wealth. Rugged individualism my ass.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

...seems like no middle ground between, "You earned what you have and shouldn't have someone else re-distributing it for you" and "Everything you have is because of someone else and therefore you should be forced to share it all as though you don't deserve any credit for it"
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...seems like no middle ground between, "You earned what you have and shouldn't have someone else re-distributing it for you" and "Everything you have is because of someone else and therefore you should be forced to share it all as though you don't deserve any credit for it"
I don't think anyone is saying the second thing, so not only is there a middle ground, it is where pretty much everyone is standing.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...seems like no middle ground between, "You earned what you have and shouldn't have someone else re-distributing it for you" and "Everything you have is because of someone else and therefore you should be forced to share it all as though you don't deserve any credit for it"
I don't think anyone is saying the second thing
Beat me to it
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I DO think people are saying that...ex: everyone wants transportation...Person A works their a$$ off to buy a beemer...Person B does jack...The re-distributors want them both to have a used prius....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:I find it entirely unrealistic that you think your wealth generated is 100% your hard work. If you are a URI grad, that alone makes that statement false. URI is funded partly by your tuition, the state, and the foundation. So like it or not, other people have contributed to your success.
I find it entirely realistic he believes this, it's just that he's 100% wrong. Based on what he's said of his parent's situation I find it highly unlikely he went to private schools growing up and his parents didn't pay enough in taxes to cover his school costs, so the public absolutely has subsidized his education. An education which allowed him to achieve. And that doesn't even get into the argument that the public's investment in infrastructure, defense and education of other people have allowed him to have a market to make his wealth. Rugged individualism my ass.
Sorry, I went to a Catholic school all my life. The public financed zero, get it, zero percent of my education. The good christians of this state did. Which is what we do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I DO think people are saying that...ex: everyone wants transportation...Person A works their a$$ off to buy a beemer...Person B does jack...The re-distributors want them both to have a used prius....
Yeah, then you're just not understanding other people very well. Nobody ever said that here and I find it unlikely many people anywhere think that. I think, to stick with your analogy, the point is more that if you can afford a luxury car, you can afford to kick a small amount in toward public transportation systems, which benefit not just the individuals that use them but society as a whole.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Sorry, I went to a Catholic school all my life. The public financed zero, get it, zero percent of my education. The good christians of this state did. Which is what we do.
So there is enough Christian cash floating around to educate every single child in the country that can't afford to pay tuition?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Remember we are in a political thread. So it's not necessarily a friendly place.

But, every Catholic who is in need has an infrastructure that will enable them to succeed if they want to. It has helped me to succeed. It is outside the political, government space. But it is there.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Why is there no talk about tolls on Mt. Hope Bridge? The feeling is to have one way on to Aquidneck(noted as Rhode Island on nautical maps) without tolls, that would be Sakonnet River Bridge. Mt Hope used to have tolls.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:Remember we are in a political thread. So it's not necessarily a friendly place.

But, every Catholic who is in need has an infrastructure that will enable them to succeed if they want to. It has helped me to succeed. It is outside the political, government space. But it is there.
Yeah because that worked out so well during the Great Depression.... The Catholic Church wasn't rebuilding this country, the New Deal did.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I DO think people are saying that...ex: everyone wants transportation...Person A works their a$$ off to buy a beemer...Person B does jack...The re-distributors want them both to have a used prius....
Absolutely not what people are saying. I want people to rich. I don't discourage making money. My whole argument is two-fold. First, and most importantly, you CANNOT have a growing economy with weak demand. The weak demand is because people don't have enough disposable income and that is because money doesn't trickle down fast enough. There are only so many meals wealthy people can go out to eat for and your hair can only grow so fast for haircuts. Sure, they "invest" but that money sits in corporate coffers because business is not expanding with weak demand. It's like a suicide circle with everyone waiting to see who moves first. Unless someone can explain to me a better way, redistribution through tax expenditures is the only way I see of accomplishing that.

Secondly, I want people to be rich. I think it's great if you can eat filet mignon 7 days a week. I just don't think it is right that you can do so why others eat cat food for dinner.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
You education was still subsidized by the state through tax breaks, book costs supplemented by the government, etc. Sorry to break it to you guy, the state had a hand in your success.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OBRAM wrote:Why is there no talk about tolls on Mt. Hope Bridge? The feeling is to have one way on to Aquidneck(noted as Rhode Island on nautical maps) without tolls, that would be Sakonnet River Bridge. Mt Hope used to have tolls.
I think tolls for bridges make sense, especially if the new no-slow-down, no-human-intervention gantry systems are used. For Newport residents, they can get free(?) or severely discounted passage across the bridge to Jamestown. For RI residents, they can get severe discounted passage across and for out of state, they pay the cash price per axle.

Modern technology makes all this easy and as fair as we want it to be. Pay-by-use.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Traffic on 136/114 in Bristol is already horrendous. Putting a toll there would be a disaster for residents. Better off just raising taxes by a couple bucks to raise the same amount of money. Tolls on interstate highways are a different animal, but on local roads it is too cumbersome for drivers.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
You education was still subsidized by the state through tax breaks, book costs supplemented by the government, etc. Sorry to break it to you guy, the state had a hand in your success.
I mean, where did I ever say anything about the state supporting me? I made a volatile, leap assessment of the state welfare system. It's corrupt, and it is designed to keep people down and feeding on the teet of the state.

But hey, the Chairman of the State Finance Committee is up on prostitution charges. I mean, it's appropriate. These democrats have been pimping this state for decades.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We do not have a revenue raising problem
We have a spending problem with considerable corruption attributes
0 x