BUDDY CIANCI DIES

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BUDDY CIANCI DIES

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Loved him or hated him, Buddy was one of a kind.
A larger than life character.
RIP, Buddy.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RIP BUDDY

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

:(
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: RIP BUDDY

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

In the end, he did much more good for Providence, Rhode Island and its people than he ever did bad. He will be missed dearly. RIP Buddy.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:In the end, he did much more good for Providence, Rhode Island and its people than he ever did bad.

As Rod alluded to, that view is not universally held. He was however a very colorful personality.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Anyone have info on what happened?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:In the end, he did much more good for Providence, Rhode Island and its people than he ever did bad.

As Rod alluded to, that view is not universally held. He was however a very colorful personality.
Yeah, I've seen people post similar things on facebook. Some people are obviously very loyal to him, but I think that sentiment is overly simplistic. He was a colorful guy and his legacy is one of the most complicated in the history of American politics, and that is not an overstatement.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He was rushed to Miriam Hospital last night,
complaining of severe stomach pain.
So far, no cause of death has been announced.
A few weeks ago, when he became engaged to a 32 year old
model, he said he was cancer free, now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:He was rushed to Miriam Hospital last night,
complaining of severe stomach pain.
So far, no cause of death has been announced.
A few weeks ago, when he became engaged to a 32 year old
model, he said he was cancer free, now.
He was rushed to the hospital from City Hall a few months ago at his painting unveiling (all mayors have a painting hung in city hall). It was supposedly due to the heat and dehydration. In perfect Buddy character, he later showed up at the restaurant for the reception that same night.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

RF1 wrote:

Yea +1 on the not universally held.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

skwalk47 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Yea +1 on the not universally held.
You dont have to like him, hell feel free to hate him, but without him Providence would've gone the way of Bridgeport years ago.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
without him Providence would've gone the way of Bridgeport years ago.
I don't like to talk ill of the recently dead, but I feel I must comment. You (and Buddy himself) may feel that way but many others do not think the rebirth of Providence is tied to Buddy Cianci. It was a combination of several factors and collaboration of many (he played a part). In fact, many feel Cianci may have held back the city in some ways as much of the business world did not like to play (pay) by his rules. Some even blame him for the city's pension mess and attribute his largess on contracts to his recent endorsements from the Providence Police and Fire unions in spite of his multiple felonies and associated exits from office.

As TruePoint so well put it, his legacy is complicated. No one would however dispute his love for Providence. May he rest in peace.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:As Rod so well put it, his legacy is complicated.
Uh, I think that was me. I don't really care, but I am pointing it out in this case because I've noticed an amusing penchant for pretending my posts don't exist.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:As Rod so well put it, his legacy is complicated.
Uh, I think that was me. I don't really care, but I am pointing it out in this case because I've noticed an amusing penchant for pretending my posts don't exist.
Sorry. It was your previous post that I should have credited (fixed it). For some reason, I had thought it was from Rod as he had also written that some loved him and some hated him which was in a similar vein.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: BUDDY CIANCI DIES

I have to say, I worked in Providence as a student in college.
The city, especially in summer STUNK. Literally.
Run down businesses, shabby building. Decay everywhere.
Who was the mayor? Joe Doorley and the Dem machine, lead by Larry McGarry.
Before them, decades of old time machine politicians.
Buddy came in and did a great job moving the downtown area forward.
There's no question, much of what we see had to do with his
vision.
Where he fell down was, in the neighborhoods.
Those with the exception of the East Side, fell to seed,
and have never recovered.
All for reasons too numerous to mention.
One was the migration to the suburbs of a large segment of
the population.
Changing demographics. Poorer people took their place.
Slumlords buying up chunks of rental properties.
Downtown (or the stupid Down City name) was the crown jewel,
surrounded by neighborhoods in great decline.
That has continued unabated to this day, by his successors.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I read Mike Stanton's "Prince of Providence" during his recent campaign. I was very fascinated by him and his story. His ability to negotiate, keep the city safe, achieve success, "move rivers", establish a vibrant city that people wanted to come to again. His ups and downs. Very interesting. He will go down in history as one of RI's largest icons for sure.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GREAT book!
Could not put it down.
Knew a lot of the people in the book, which
many in RI would.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Where he fell down was, in the neighborhoods.
Those with the exception of the East Side, fell to seed,
and have never recovered.
All for reasons too numerous to mention.
One was the migration to the suburbs of a large segment of
the population.
Changing demographics. Poorer people took their place.
Slumlords buying up chunks of rental properties.
Downtown (or the stupid Down City name) was the crown jewel,
surrounded by neighborhoods in great decline.
That has continued unabated to this day, by his successors.
Some of that is just the laws of nature taking over - many of those same problems are happening in every major city in the country with the exception New York, which is seeing a huge influx of people and the soaring living costs are driving normal people out (so it is the opposite problem). My issue with Cianci, and more with people who support him fully without any qualification or caveats, is that much of his horrifying criminal behavior is just ignored - and we aren't talking about grey areas or "technically" illegal stuff here - the guy went to prison twice, once for an assault so deplorable it should have cost him his career and once for actually running the city from the mayor's office like it was a crime family. That is running the gamut on criminal behavior - violent thuggery and criminal conspiracy.

If you want to say the ends justifies the means, or that the good outweighs the bad, I think that is trivializing some really abhorrent behavior and is hugely unfair to all the people he wronged with all of that criminal behavior, especially Ray DiMeo but also all the business interests and other people that were screwed over or physically harmed because they wouldn't play ball. But, if you want to take a Machiavellian attitude in assessing the guy, fine, but at least acknowledge all the bad shit he did. It wasn't minor little funny missteps. He was a real legitimate criminal.

Having said all of that, I also read and loved the book. I also recognized many names in the book and was glad not to see my father's name in it anywhere! His career had him crossing paths with Buddy multiple times, and as you can imagine his feelings about Buddy are pretty mixed. As are mine.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The Bristol parade lost one of its clowns....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"and more with people who support him fully without any qualification or caveats, is that much of his horrifying criminal behavior is just ignored - and we aren't talking about grey areas or "technically" illegal stuff here "
We're seeing this now with tRUMP supporters, who ignore any negative facts and think he's God.
When politicians become deities, we have seen what can result.
Not much good, but plenty of evil.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yup agreed. I work with another guy in my office from RI, and we were talking about Cianci and made the same Trump comparison.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I was not a fan of his....some of my reasons are quite personal......I do not believe he "loved" Providence.....I do believe he loved being the Mayor of Providence more than he loved the city...if he loved Providence he would not have embarrassed it during his tenure nor would he have caused further embarrassment by running for Mayor again last election....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

rodfromcranston wrote:GREAT book!
Could not put it down.
Knew a lot of the people in the book, which
many in RI would.
It really was a great book. My family was mentioned in there a few times (classic RI). I read it mostly for the historical aspect but became intrigued with the story of Buddy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would say this about about Buddy. He brought to light the fact that politics has become a business. At the local, state and federal level. A business of making nothing and spending our money. A business that should go bankrupt.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

In what other "business" would people spend millions to get a job that pays thousands.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

In Connecticut, Mrs. McMahon spent 50 million of her own money, to try and get a job that pays just over 200K, a US Senate seat.

Think she'd get it all back, and then some, if she had been elected?

Sure as shit.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

The doc "Buddy" is a great companion piece to Prince of Providence. Difference between Cianci is that Cianci was a shrewd politician. Not sure Trump has those skills in working with others.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rod is right Providence was bleak pre-Buddy, when the malls sucked all the department t stores from Downcity. It was a grim place.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

To say he did more good than bad for providence is a typical Rhode Island defeatist attitude. How about doing it without massive corruption? We live in a state where they worship mobsters. Many people could have been mayor during that period and shown the same improvement without the corruption. Lower Thames in Newport was a shithole during that period of time too along with many others. Very similar to trump in that people who can't get anything done themselves latch on and worship him. Go get your vinny Paz poster signed..another loser they worshipped.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some of you guys who have been in Rhode Island for a long time probably heard some of these stories before, but I hadn't and read this article last night. Couldn't believe it. I had always heard rumors or whatever but this was nuts!

http://gawker.com/dead-providence-mayor ... 1755717467
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Pretty disgusting. Makes me wonder how people would think of him had his nickname not been Buddy. Seriously, I know that has to play a factor in the benevolent feelings so many have for him.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Caligula could have learned a few things from hiim.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I watched this man eat cigarette buts thinking it was pizza crust when he drunk in the back of a North Providence restaurant. That's all I'll say about him.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

He did a lot with cigarette butts.
0 x