Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 1 year ago

http://wpri.com/2015/12/09/uri-to-seek-68m-from-voters-for-new-arts-facility/

URI is hoping to get a referendum on November's ballot for a $68 million renovation to the Fine Arts Center, which would have it fully operational for the summer of 2020. The Council on Postsecondary Education has approved it along with a $25.5 million additional bond for the engineering building. It's still waiting for approval from the governor and assembly.

I know the Fine Arts Center needs renovation, but $68 million sounds high. I hope they didn't kill the hopes of getting it renovated by being so aggressive on their plans. It will be great if it does pass, that's one of the most visible buildings on campus and is quite an eyesore.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

RF1
Sly Williams

Re: Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Unread postby RF1 » 1 year ago

This will be a hard sell at the polls.
0 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unfortunately I agree. It's one thing to get money for science related buildings. It's very easy to show how those buildings can help generate graduates for in demand fields and how having those buildings being obsolete hurts. Fine arts is different, especially where they're not renovating or seem to be adding any concert/theater space.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 year ago

Fine Arts building is in dire need of full replacement. This better go through.
0 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 year ago

ATPTourFan wrote:Fine Arts building is in dire need of full replacement. This better go through.

Yup.
0 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby hrstrat57 » 1 year ago

It's a dump
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread postby twisted3829 » 1 year ago

the renderings are awesome, really hope it goes through
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE

Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 year ago

Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

I know when I went there they forced everyone to fulfill 1 class in that department. Funny they list how many students elect to take a class there when they force you too. Although, I enjoyed my class there.
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

Rhody74
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhody74 » 1 year ago

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

I know when I went there they forced everyone to fulfill 1 class in that department. Funny they list how many students elect to take a class there when they force you too. Although, I enjoyed my class there.

It always has been a dump. When I was a student in the early '70s, the Fine Arts Center was only a few years old and it never seemed to be "finished". It always leaked, had poor HVAC, and looked like it was falling apart.
0 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby SGreenwell » 1 year ago

Rhody74 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

It always has been a dump. When I was a student in the early '70s, the Fine Arts Center was only a few years old and it never seemed to be "finished". It always leaked, had poor HVAC, and looked like it was falling apart.

I was a student in the early 2000s, and yup, sounds like the same place. :) It was also just a weird monster of a building to me architecturally as well. They had a ton of these little classrooms in there that are impossible to find. While it's billed as a "renovation," from the dollar figure it almost sounds like they're going to gut and redo the whole thing, which wouldn't be the worst idea...
0 x

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 year ago

I had one class there probably in 2001 for Intro to Architecture. I got an A- I think. I enjoyed the class, but the building was awful back then.
0 x

adam914
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby adam914 » 1 year ago

I'll never forget my Intro to Acting class I took there in my senior year in 2003. It was one of two classes I took second semester senior year, the other was Intermediate Bowling. Yeah, senior year was awesome.
0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

I don't think I ever took a class there. My Intro to Film class met in Chafee, if I recall. I did get my car towed out of that lot a half dozen times. Still cheaper than a parking pass!
0 x

adam914
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby adam914 » 1 year ago

TruePoint wrote:I don't think I ever took a class there. My Intro to Film class met in Chafee, if I recall. I did get my car towed out of that lot a half dozen times. Still cheaper than a parking pass!

Haha, I always loved that conversation I'd have with myself..."just get towed and park right here, or drive around looking for another spot..."

Getting towed almost always won.
0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

Taylor Swift
ARD

Unread postby Taylor Swift » 1 year ago

The Fine Arts Building smelled like a dirty bus depot, and this was 10 years ago when I graduated. I can only imagine what it smells like now. The university needs improvements to the building, but is the arts program at the university really that strong? Personally, I think Chaffee is a building on campus that needs an overhaul.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 1 year ago

The building was ugly from the day it opened. Horrible design.

Let me be the first to say put the $68 million into the Football Stadium.
0 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

In all serious, ramster, a $30M bond for a football stadium update would get voted down?
0 x

OBRAM
ARD

Unread postby OBRAM » 1 year ago

I think the Fine Arts Building needs to be torn down and replace, not renovated. Is this just putting lipstick on a pig? I would like to see Classic Architecture, and get away from the Modern.
Hopefully someone can convince me that this will be nice after it is done? Can we get away from the Concrete? This should be a showcase building, with granite façade. URI did a great job with Ballinetine Hall, they could do the same here.
0 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Based on the picture above they're going to be getting away from the concrete and trying to go with a lot of glass. And it seems like everything other then the concert halls and theaters are being totally redone.
0 x

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread postby twisted3829 » 1 year ago

at least the outside of them, I suspect that it will be a gut job in those areas
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread postby ramfan85 » 1 year ago

Don't worry about the cost. When Trump is president, we'll not only get a new building, MexIco will pay for it.
0 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 year ago

I'm sure there will be some value engineering which to make the price more appealing, but at a minimum tis building needs work and should be a top priority. Its in the worst shape out of any academic building on campus. I hope It passes too, why not, this is THE state school.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 year ago

I want Mexico to subsidize all the doritos I'm eating
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

The Fine Arts Center bond has gone from being recommended to be placed on this year's ballot to tentatively placed on the 2018 ballot according to the Governor's submitted capital budget.
0 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 9 months ago

This project continues to fade. It's gone from recommended to be placed on the 2016 ballot, to tentatively placed on 2018, to now just planning for the project.

"URI Fine Arts Center Renovation and Addition - The Governor recommends expenditures of university funds totaling $56,930 in both FY 2017 and FY 2018 to complete advance planning efforts for a full-scale renovation of the URI Fine Arts Center, currently a functional but antiquated facility with several structural deficiencies. The Governor further recommends an appropriation of $1.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund to address initial
project requirements in FY 2018. In previous fiscal years, $400,000 was expended from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund and $211,415 from university funds to address advanced planning and design."
0 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 9 months ago

Awful, what will happen is that the structure will continue to decay and be neglected until its too dangerous to use and will be abandoned. The Art programs will suffer.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread postby rambone 78 » 9 months ago

Probably going to need a deep pockets alumnus to save it......typical
0 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 4 weeks ago

An update on Fine Arts. It looks like the project has changed recently, but should hopefully be getting started this summer, though funding hasn't been secured yet.

"As of right now, the plans include phase one, which will renovate five of the 10-pod structure that makes up the Fine Arts Center...

'Our plan [in the first phases] is to… re-clad five of the pods that are to remain and basically stabilize the envelope [of the building],' said McMahan. Phase one also includes fixing the heating and ventilation systems throughout the building, and other renovation projects. Some of the pods that are included in phase one contain the pods that have fixed seating, the theater and music hall.

One idea that they are discussing right now is to put insulation around the outside of the building and cover that with brick. “That will help to make the building much more comfortable and insulated,” McMahan said.

The project is planned to go out to bid the summer of 2018 and construction will begin that summer. It is planned to take about a year for phase one to be completed."

http://rhodycigar.com/2017/10/19/update ... =hootsuite
3 x

Return to “Down the Line”