Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

http://wpri.com/2015/12/09/uri-to-seek- ... -facility/

URI is hoping to get a referendum on November's ballot for a $68 million renovation to the Fine Arts Center, which would have it fully operational for the summer of 2020. The Council on Postsecondary Education has approved it along with a $25.5 million additional bond for the engineering building. It's still waiting for approval from the governor and assembly.

I know the Fine Arts Center needs renovation, but $68 million sounds high. I hope they didn't kill the hopes of getting it renovated by being so aggressive on their plans. It will be great if it does pass, that's one of the most visible buildings on campus and is quite an eyesore.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Proposed Fine Arts Center renovation bond

Unread post by RF1 »

This will be a hard sell at the polls.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately I agree. It's one thing to get money for science related buildings. It's very easy to show how those buildings can help generate graduates for in demand fields and how having those buildings being obsolete hurts. Fine arts is different, especially where they're not renovating or seem to be adding any concert/theater space.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fine Arts building is in dire need of full replacement. This better go through.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Fine Arts building is in dire need of full replacement. This better go through.
Yup.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It's a dump
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the renderings are awesome, really hope it goes through
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

I know when I went there they forced everyone to fulfill 1 class in that department. Funny they list how many students elect to take a class there when they force you too. Although, I enjoyed my class there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

I know when I went there they forced everyone to fulfill 1 class in that department. Funny they list how many students elect to take a class there when they force you too. Although, I enjoyed my class there.
It always has been a dump. When I was a student in the early '70s, the Fine Arts Center was only a few years old and it never seemed to be "finished". It always leaked, had poor HVAC, and looked like it was falling apart.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its a dump. That 68M figure isn't what it once was. Structurally it has some issues.

It always has been a dump. When I was a student in the early '70s, the Fine Arts Center was only a few years old and it never seemed to be "finished". It always leaked, had poor HVAC, and looked like it was falling apart.
I was a student in the early 2000s, and yup, sounds like the same place. :) It was also just a weird monster of a building to me architecturally as well. They had a ton of these little classrooms in there that are impossible to find. While it's billed as a "renovation," from the dollar figure it almost sounds like they're going to gut and redo the whole thing, which wouldn't be the worst idea...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I had one class there probably in 2001 for Intro to Architecture. I got an A- I think. I enjoyed the class, but the building was awful back then.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll never forget my Intro to Acting class I took there in my senior year in 2003. It was one of two classes I took second semester senior year, the other was Intermediate Bowling. Yeah, senior year was awesome.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think I ever took a class there. My Intro to Film class met in Chafee, if I recall. I did get my car towed out of that lot a half dozen times. Still cheaper than a parking pass!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think I ever took a class there. My Intro to Film class met in Chafee, if I recall. I did get my car towed out of that lot a half dozen times. Still cheaper than a parking pass!
Haha, I always loved that conversation I'd have with myself..."just get towed and park right here, or drive around looking for another spot..."

Getting towed almost always won.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Fine Arts Building smelled like a dirty bus depot, and this was 10 years ago when I graduated. I can only imagine what it smells like now. The university needs improvements to the building, but is the arts program at the university really that strong? Personally, I think Chaffee is a building on campus that needs an overhaul.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The building was ugly from the day it opened. Horrible design.

Let me be the first to say put the $68 million into the Football Stadium.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In all serious, ramster, a $30M bond for a football stadium update would get voted down?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think the Fine Arts Building needs to be torn down and replace, not renovated. Is this just putting lipstick on a pig? I would like to see Classic Architecture, and get away from the Modern.
Hopefully someone can convince me that this will be nice after it is done? Can we get away from the Concrete? This should be a showcase building, with granite façade. URI did a great job with Ballinetine Hall, they could do the same here.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Based on the picture above they're going to be getting away from the concrete and trying to go with a lot of glass. And it seems like everything other then the concert halls and theaters are being totally redone.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

at least the outside of them, I suspect that it will be a gut job in those areas
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Don't worry about the cost. When Trump is president, we'll not only get a new building, MexIco will pay for it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm sure there will be some value engineering which to make the price more appealing, but at a minimum tis building needs work and should be a top priority. Its in the worst shape out of any academic building on campus. I hope It passes too, why not, this is THE state school.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I want Mexico to subsidize all the doritos I'm eating
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Fine Arts Center bond has gone from being recommended to be placed on this year's ballot to tentatively placed on the 2018 ballot according to the Governor's submitted capital budget.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This project continues to fade. It's gone from recommended to be placed on the 2016 ballot, to tentatively placed on 2018, to now just planning for the project.

"URI Fine Arts Center Renovation and Addition - The Governor recommends expenditures of university funds totaling $56,930 in both FY 2017 and FY 2018 to complete advance planning efforts for a full-scale renovation of the URI Fine Arts Center, currently a functional but antiquated facility with several structural deficiencies. The Governor further recommends an appropriation of $1.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund to address initial
project requirements in FY 2018. In previous fiscal years, $400,000 was expended from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund and $211,415 from university funds to address advanced planning and design."
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Awful, what will happen is that the structure will continue to decay and be neglected until its too dangerous to use and will be abandoned. The Art programs will suffer.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Probably going to need a deep pockets alumnus to save it......typical
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

An update on Fine Arts. It looks like the project has changed recently, but should hopefully be getting started this summer, though funding hasn't been secured yet.

"As of right now, the plans include phase one, which will renovate five of the 10-pod structure that makes up the Fine Arts Center...

'Our plan [in the first phases] is to… re-clad five of the pods that are to remain and basically stabilize the envelope [of the building],' said McMahan. Phase one also includes fixing the heating and ventilation systems throughout the building, and other renovation projects. Some of the pods that are included in phase one contain the pods that have fixed seating, the theater and music hall.

One idea that they are discussing right now is to put insulation around the outside of the building and cover that with brick. “That will help to make the building much more comfortable and insulated,” McMahan said.

The project is planned to go out to bid the summer of 2018 and construction will begin that summer. It is planned to take about a year for phase one to be completed."

http://rhodycigar.com/2017/10/19/update ... =hootsuite
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Looks like some funding might be coming our way for this project. From the Governor's proposed capital budget:

"URI Fine Arts Center Renovation – The Governor recommends $12.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund to finance the first phase of a full-scale renovation of the University’s Fine Arts Center, currently a functional but antiquated facility with significant structural deficiencies. Last year, the Governor recommended and the General Assembly designated $1.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund in FY 2018 to finance architectural and engineering services and preliminary renovations. In the FY 2019 – FY 2023 Capital Improvement Plan, the Governor recommends an additional $11.0 million in RICAP funds to complete Phase I of the project, involving HVAC system replacements and extensive exterior envelope repairs to five of the ten building “pods” that comprise the Fine Arts complex. Projected RICAP disbursements are as follows: FY 2018: $1.0 million; FY 2019:
$1.0 million; FY 2020: $2.0 million; FY 2021: $5.0 million; and FY 2022: $3.0 million."
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: One idea that they are discussing right now is to put insulation around the outside of the building and cover that with brick. “That will help to make the building much more comfortable and insulated,” McMahan said.

Would make the building look a lot nicer as well and better fit in with other campus buildings.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

The place was a dump in the early 90's, last time I set foot in there. Much needed
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea the fine arts center is a horrible example of mid-century brutalist architecture. Its certainly a safety hazard too with its crumbling exterior.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Yea the fine arts center is a horrible example of mid-century brutalist architecture. Its certainly a safety hazard too with its crumbling exterior.
..."mid-century brutalist"... I thought you were joking...but, I guess it's really a style...catchy name...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The first phase of the renovations will begin mid-March and will be complete by the end of October

http://rhodycigar.com/2018/11/01/fine-a ... -students/
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The first phase of the renovations will begin mid-March and will be complete by the end of October

That has been by far the ugliest building on the URI campus for decades.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The first phase of the renovations will begin mid-March and will be complete by the end of October

That has been by far the ugliest building on the URI campus for decades.
It is creepy AND ugly. I only remember walking through there to get to the parking lot and taking something like Music 101 in there for a Gen Ed requirement. Hated being in that building.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Thank god, massive eye sore.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 years ago Looks like some funding might be coming our way for this project. From the Governor's proposed capital budget:

"URI Fine Arts Center Renovation – The Governor recommends $12.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund to finance the first phase of a full-scale renovation of the University’s Fine Arts Center, currently a functional but antiquated facility with significant structural deficiencies. Last year, the Governor recommended and the General Assembly designated $1.0 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund in FY 2018 to finance architectural and engineering services and preliminary renovations. In the FY 2019 – FY 2023 Capital Improvement Plan, the Governor recommends an additional $11.0 million in RICAP funds to complete Phase I of the project, involving HVAC system replacements and extensive exterior envelope repairs to five of the ten building “pods” that comprise the Fine Arts complex. Projected RICAP disbursements are as follows: FY 2018: $1.0 million; FY 2019:
$1.0 million; FY 2020: $2.0 million; FY 2021: $5.0 million; and FY 2022: $3.0 million."
The latest funding for this project:

URI Fine Arts Center Renovation – The Governor recommends $18.7 million from the Rhode Island Capital Plan Fund and private funding to finance the first phase of a full-scale renovation of the University’s Fine Arts Center, currently a functional but antiquated facility with significant structural deficiencies. Phase I of the project, includes HVAC system replacements and extensive exterior envelope repairs to five of the ten building “pods” that
comprise the Fine Arts complex. Projected RICAP disbursements are as follows: FY 2019: $6.9 million; and FY 2020: $7.1 million. Expenditures prior to FY 2019 total $887,289 from Rhode Island Capital Plan Funds. The Governor recommends an additional $4.7 million from private funding in FY 2020
through FY 2023.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anything will be an improvement as that from the outside is one ugly building.

There are some exterior conceptual renderings found in this link:
https://www.uri.edu/fineartscenter/
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Any money going towards the incomplete amphitheater structure in the back? That has to be illegal in some way.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Warning, falling concrete!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Any money going towards the incomplete amphitheater structure in the back? That has to be illegal in some way.
Do you have any pictures of what it looks like now? I’ll have to go check it out
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Any money going towards the incomplete amphitheater structure in the back? That has to be illegal in some way.
Do you have any pictures of what it looks like now? I’ll have to go check it out
I do not, but construction was stopped around 2011?
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
Why was that? I’m assuming ran out of money?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Here is an article from 2013. http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 2bb7d.html
0 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I guess good thing that building is tucked away in the back corner of campus where no one goes?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is an article from 2013. http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 2bb7d.html
From what I gather this is not a URI project nor is it related to the Fine Arts building, right?
This ball was dropped by the Hellenic Council that could not come up with the money to finish it and URI administration pulled the plug. Am I interpreting this correctly?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Something along those lines. I believe the battle is still raging. If you research it , there are some more referent articles. It’s a mess.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fencing has gone up around portions of the Fine Arts Center for the beginning of construction
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Fencing has gone up around portions of the Fine Arts Center for the beginning of construction
I was hoping for demolition.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!