Casey's -RIP

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Casey's -RIP

Unread post by theblueram »

Don't know if this has been posted but I read this week that Casey's has been sold and will be renamed. I can't count the number of times going there, but it will be remembered. I know it's not like it was, but for those of us who remember, it was the place. Fortunately it was bought by one of the original owners of Charlie O's, so I expect good things to come.

Perhaps we needed a full house cleaning to get us back! :shock:
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Re: Casey's -RIP

Unread post by Issac »

I hear it will close in mid-December for renovation and re-open in March as a moderately priced steak and seafood house. The bar area will be kept largely as now configured. I wonder if it will remain as the place for URI sports fans.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm guessing the Mews has really hurt Casey's lately, especially after URI games?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm guessing the Mews has really hurt Casey's lately, especially after URI games?
Casey's underwent a management shake-up a few years ago, I believe, and the end result wasn't great. I used to love going there, but after getting screwed out of a win in the trivia of champions thing, plus tired of dealing with the ditzy servers, we just started going to the Mews, Kabuki and Fat Belly's more. It's a bit of a place without a niche to me - It's not really a sports bar, the Mews has the market cornered on beers, and Fat Belly's is the Irish-y kind of pub place.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I wasn't aware people still went to Casey's regularly. The Mews has them beat in nearly every category, except price.
0 x
Go Rhody!
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Casey's was pretty famous for us in asking for our check and then waiting 20 minutes for them to deliver it and another 10 to run our card.

I actually never liked Casey's that much...I thought the food was blah, the drinks were never great, and it wasn't really the best place to watch a game if there were more than 30 people in the bar area.

The Mews becoming the official restaurant of URI athletics, as well as Charlie O's, and Rhody Joe's catering to the students was too much for Casey's to handle. It never really adapted out of the 90's pub mindset.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Andrew wrote:I wasn't aware people still went to Casey's regularly. The Mews has them beat in nearly every category, except price.
You haven't been to Casey's lately, went there a few times and paid out the @$$
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The Mews is one of my favorite bars in the country (and I've been to a lot of bars....hehe). As a student, that was my place. It wasn't really that popular among students because there was lots of competition. IIRC, the rotation usually went Bon Vue, Charlie O's, George's and Bobby G's. I used to lobby hard for the Mews, at least to pregame, because the beer and whiskey selections were so much better. (Its a hard sell when all your friends drink Miller Light and Jack - you can get that anywhere.) I used to go to Twin Willows a lot during the year a bunch of us lived down at Bonnet, and Coast Guard was always a fun change of pace. Hell, we even went to Applebees for $2 24oz drafts and appetizers sometimes.

Bottom line: only time I went to Casey's as a student was when my Dad came up to visit or to catch a URI game. It was a place for his generation (he is class of '75, FWIW). Casey's was like 9th choice. And when you're 9th choice, you don't get much play.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

TruePoint wrote:I used to lobby hard for the Mews, at least to pregame, because the beer and whiskey selections were so much better. (Its a hard sell when all your friends drink Miller Light and Jack - you can get that anywhere.)
This is the worst. I feel your pain.
0 x
Go Rhody!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Andrew wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I used to lobby hard for the Mews, at least to pregame, because the beer and whiskey selections were so much better. (Its a hard sell when all your friends drink Miller Light and Jack - you can get that anywhere.)
Thanks, man. Luckily the taste of my drinking buddies has progressed some since those days. But yeah, college kids are not good drinkers. I had one friend that ONLY drank captain and coke for four years. Literally. And he was a big dude - drank a handle of captain and a two liter of coke if he was going hard. Tough to convince that guy to go to the Mews. They did have unbelievable cajun wings at one time (they still have good wings, but not the same cajun ones), and sometimes I could sell that.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Thanks, man. Luckily the taste of my drinking buddies has progressed some since those days. But yeah, college kids are not good drinkers. I had one friend that ONLY drank captain and coke for four years. Literally. And he was a big dude - drank a handle of captain and a two liter of coke if he was going hard. Tough to convince that guy to go to the Mews. They did have unbelievable cajun wings at one time (they still have good wings, but not the same cajun ones), and sometimes I could sell that.
Considering I'm a big guy, who drank a lot of Captain and Coke (I def never drank a handle of Captain, but did put down a litre from time to time, love Cajun wings, and never really liked going to the Mews...

Are we buddies?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EasyEdBrown wrote:Considering I'm a big guy, who drank a lot of Captain and Coke (I def never drank a handle of Captain, but did put down a litre from time to time, love Cajun wings, and never really liked going to the Mews...

Are we buddies?
Maybe. Or maybe you just have awesome taste like my roommate. What year did you graduate?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sandcastles !!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

REUNITED and it feels so gooooooooood!!! It's moments like these that make this message board a special place. hahaha
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Casey's was a comfortable spot. Football alum & boosters really liked it.
I hope the new set up is still welcoming. If it isn't,where is a place where large groups can be comfortable?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

eh...I tried to give them a shot again, to re-ignite the spark we once had... but had to watch the Va Tech game without any sound. Plus we played so bad that game I'm thinking the place was bad luck.

Mews and Rhody Joe's have taken a lot of the market from Casey's for the past few years.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I haven't been to Caseys in many years. I was never a big fan of it. It always reminded me of a hotel restaurant and bar (not a good thing). I much more prefer the Mews. I am however probably in the minority for someone that started following Rhody hoops in the late 70's. It seemed to me that Casey's was the establishment for the establishment.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

To me it always seemed that the crowd at Casey's was there to be seen. I've spent a lot of time at the Mews, but the food has gone down hill and despite their 69 taps they're not very imaginative with the beer selection.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:To me it always seemed that the crowd at Casey's was there to be seen. I've spent a lot of time at the Mews, but the food has gone down hill and despite their 69 taps they're not very imaginative with the beer selection.
Agree with the casey's comment. I'm assuming the Mews beer comment is sarcasm, and I ate there after the UVM game and thought the food was great.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

TruePoint wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I went to the Mews before the Mason game and the Cajun wings seem to be back to normal or at least close to what they used to be. I know exactly what you mean though. They were awesome back in the day and then they radically changed them up one day and they weren't that good.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Iggy1979 wrote:To me it always seemed that the crowd at Casey's was there to be seen. I've spent a lot of time at the Mews, but the food has gone down hill and despite their 69 taps they're not very imaginative with the beer selection.
Agree completely as it related to the Mews quality and beer selection. It is almost like they are cutting corners because they know they can get a way with it and people will still show up.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

URI96 wrote:
Agree completely as it related to the Mews quality and beer selection. It is almost like they are cutting corners because they know they can get a way with it and people will still show up.
They do seem to run out of a lot of the better beers that aren't $8. Then again, those super pricey beers are really god damn tasty to me.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
EasyEdBrown wrote:Considering I'm a big guy, who drank a lot of Captain and Coke (I def never drank a handle of Captain, but did put down a litre from time to time, love Cajun wings, and never really liked going to the Mews...

Are we buddies?
Maybe. Or maybe you just have awesome taste like my roommate. What year did you graduate?
Back in Aught Three. Trying times those were.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Me too. '03 grad here.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey now...'03 here as well. Who knew we were so well represented around here.

As for Casey's, we used to hit it up semi-regularly for monday night football and the free pizza and drink specials. The Mews, for my group of friends at least, was always kind of a "treat" to ourselves because we viewed it as expensive at the time. Its my favorite place to go whenever I head back now though.

Charlie O's was the main spot for us for happy hour mainly due to the free food and dollar drafts. For about $5-$10 you could get away without buying dinner and have a nice buzz going for the rest of the night's festivities. Miss those days!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i'm the young guy...'11 and '12
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Casey's certainly went downhill. Charlie O's as well in my opinion. Sandcastles/Caesars was always happening though. But I really liked to hang at the pub on campus. I always liked the idea of a Rathskellar.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, we had the Pub when I was in school and the drinking age was 18. I pretty much lived at the Pub for a whole week during the blizzard of '78.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Iggy's and Giro's??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:Iggy's and Giro's??

I can recall going to Iggy's after a Keaney game pre-college age and thinking it was cool to see head coach Claude English there.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

What's the collective age of people on this board? I believe we did a poll before, right?

I graduated in Dec 2011, twisted. Seems most people on here are a bit older.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Andrew wrote:What's the collective age of people on this board? I believe we did a poll before, right?

I'm a bit older as you can see by my name(graduation year)...
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

yes many posters here are older but there are some around our age Andrew although many of them don't post often
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:yes many posters here are older but there are some around our age Andrew although many of them don't post often
old, but wise...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Andrew wrote:What's the collective age of people on this board? I believe we did a poll before, right?

If I have to guess, I imagine the largest concentrations are in the 30 to 40 range, and the 40 to 50 range. For what it's worth, I think all three of the board admins / moderators are in the range of 25 to 30, with ATP being the old man of the group. (At least, I think he graduated a year or two ahead of me... I'm class of 2007, although I should have graduated in 2006, if I wasn't on the five-year plan.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EasyEdBrown wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Are we buddies?
Back in Aught Three. Trying times those were.
Yeah, see, you guys just have similar taste I guess. I'm '06. My years weren't much better.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Looks like the majority of the board came from the 70s glory days, and the just-missed-Lamar/proto-Baron days.

In other words, there is a lot of masochism on this board.

I know of two others that I was actually friendly with in my time at URI that I don't think migrated over. I know one of them knows we are mutual posters, but the other doesn't know this is me...I'm partially covered in my Cloak of Internet Anonymity.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ah, the good ol' days. Spent many a night at Iggy's and the Willows. Met my first wife at the Willows.

Maybe that's why she was my first wife. Haha.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

70's Ram here....Willows, Bon Vue, Shillers, Caesars....never Caseys wasn't even on the radar.

Back in those days the Mews was scary.....now I love the Mews, especially upstairs!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

and the Pub of course ha ha...sloshing thru the mass amount of beer spilled on the carpet....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EasyEdBrown wrote:Looks like the majority of the board came from the 70s glory days, and the just-missed-Lamar/proto-Baron days.

In other words, there is a lot of masochism on this board.

I know of two others that I was actually friendly with in my time at URI that I don't think migrated over. I know one of them knows we are mutual posters, but the other doesn't know this is me...I'm partially covered in my Cloak of Internet Anonymity.
Yeah, its an interesting dynamic here, in terms of generational perspective. I'm not saying I'm totally unique in this respect, because I'm sure there are others, but I kind of feel a little bit connected to both generations. As I mentioned above, my father was class of '75, and he was a huge, huge Rhody fan and involved in boosterism to varying degrees throughout my life. When I was younger, he was much more invested.

Probably my earliest sports memory was the '88 Duke game at the Meadowlands, which I watched because my mom told me my dad was there and I wanted to see him on TV; I went with him to Winston-Salem for the 1993 NCAA tournamet; I was a ball boy for some classic games at Keaney and the then-Civic Center. My dad's involvement and my fandom peeked during the Harrick era, when I was fortunate enough to get to know some of the players pretty well - particularly Cuttino and Preston. Probably the least interested I ever was in URI basketball in my life was the toward the end of my time as a student there, when I got frustrated with the mediocrity. When I moved to New York for grad school I joined the projo board (under a different name) as a way to stay connected to home and to the program, and that ended up really reviving my interest.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

I came in as a Rhody virgin...my family was a BC/UMass family. My dad didn't care about college ball at all, and we went to a bunch of games in the Final Four* year.

So I really dig on hearing about Olde Tyme Rhode-Island hoopball.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:and the Pub of course ha ha...sloshing thru the mass amount of beer spilled on the carpet....
Ha! What a dump it was. Remember going to the Union the next morning and how bad the stench was? I'm 94 and 98 but my frosh year was 83. Bit of an epiphany but I made it through! The guys on campus now will be telling everyone down the road they were here for the early Hurley years. Enjoy it now and tell others about it later. Great times!
0 x
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

For us alums of the early and mid 60's, Iggy's and Giros were the watering holes of choice. I still remember the "dimies" at the original Iggys in Peacedale before they opened their new place nearer the campus. A lot of fond memories ( what I am able to remember!) - especially in Giros. I recall that a fisherman's dive in Narragansett, Kenny Carters, was briefly a place of choice for the fraternity crowd. I never went to the Mews till a few years ago when I was down for a reunion. I should have found the place earlier in my life! I was never impressed with Caseys. I stopped at Charlie O's a couple of years ago when I was down for a Phi Mu golf tournament. Actualy one of my fraternity brothers founded the place. It was packed with URI students on a Thursday night. I was smart enough not to ask why they weren't back at the campus studying!! Between athletic practice and a heavy Friday class load, a Thursday night out was a luxury back in the 60's.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anybody else current students here besides me?
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:and the Pub of course ha ha...sloshing thru the mass amount of beer spilled on the carpet....
Ha! What a dump it was. Remember going to the Union the next morning and how bad the stench was? I'm 94 and 98 but my frosh year was 83. Bit of an epiphany but I made it through! The guys on campus now will be telling everyone down the road they were here for the early Hurley years. Enjoy it now and tell others about it later. Great times!

Ha ha yes I do remember that nasty smell.

Double fisted pitchers of beer now it is a dry campus. Different world.
0 x