Surviving the PC invasion

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Surviving the PC invasion

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, the children of the dark side seem to think
it's just so funny that a baby donkey was born to the
URI Agricultural School.
These clowns think a guard donkey is a funny thing.
If they'd bothered to read (a daunting task) they'd have known
that the donkey protects the URI sheep and goats from predators
like coyotes and dogs.
For the benefit of those who can read:

"Coyotes and dogs had been a major problem at the University of Rhode Island’s Peckham Farm, home to a prize-winning flock of Dorset sheep. Then the university bought Bonnie, a guard donkey.

She came to the URI campus in December 2003 after a pack of dogs had attacked the sheep. Of the 26 ewes in the flock then, 17 suffered severe puncture wounds. One was killed, and six were badly injured, including one so seriously hurt she had to be euthanized a few weeks later.

Since the guard donkey’s arrival, the university has not lost a single animal, says Dave Marshall, Peckham Farm manager, so the school acquired a second guard donkey, named Dee.

In nearby Lebanon, Conn., Paul Tubey says he's seen coyotes lurking in the woods surrounding his Beltane Farm, but the predators have stayed away from his mixed herd of Oberhasli and LaMancha goats since he acquired a guard donkey.

Guard Donkeys at Work
In addition to dogs or coyotes, guard donkeys can also protect farm animals against foxes and bobcats, according to the Texas Department of Agriculture, but black bears, wolves and mountain lions might prey on donkeys.

"Donkeys rely predominantly on sight and sound to detect intruders,” according to a bulletin from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. "When approached, sheep will tend to move so the guard animal is between the intruder and themselves. The donkeys' loud brays and quick pursuit will scare away predators and may also alert the shepherd.

Usually, a donkey will confront the predator and run it out of the pasture.

"If the canines do not retreat quickly, the donkeys will attack them by rising up on their hind legs and striking with both front feet," the bulletin says. "A solid blow can injure, kill or at the very least discourage the predator.”
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have to admit I've never heard of a guard donkey and wouldn't have imagined that was even something that existed, but that is actually pretty damn cool.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I'm still amazed that Pc even has a board, wherever it is. Seriously, how many people can be posting on a PC board? Is it really more than a dozen or so?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love their notion, that they don't slam us anywhere
close to what we do to them. Pretty delusional.
They have had thread after thread about our "irrelevant" program,
with plenty of vitriol.
I don't like some of ours toward them, but let's call it like it is.
It's too bad the subject can't stay on basketball, instead of
other "my dad can beat up your dad" type arguments.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:I have to admit I've never heard of a guard donkey and wouldn't have imagined that was even something that existed, but that is actually pretty damn cool.
Yeah, we should all donate and send one to the State House.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We have guard donkeys, our invaders are asses!
0 x