Former URI vs. PC athlete criminal comparison, part 571

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
reckless jake
ARD

Former URI vs. PC athlete criminal comparison, part 571

Unread post by reckless jake »

There are no circumstances where I could ever root for Providence College. None. Yeah, I understand about RPI and all that. Doesn't matter. I remember some years back, when I was a young kid, and Providence played the Russian National team... I rooted for the Russians. That's the truth. Go 'Canes!!

And Jay Williams is an ill informed Power 5 suck up who's lucky to have that job.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: Week #7 – Games of Interest

Unread post by bressler3south »

reckless jake wrote:There are no circumstances where I could ever root for Providence College. None. Yeah, I understand about RPI and all that. Doesn't matter. I remember some years back, when I was a young kid, and Providence played the Russian National team... I rooted for the Russians. That's the truth. Go 'Canes!!

And Jay Williams is an ill informed Power 5 suck up who's lucky to have that job.

Jake was reckless…..and so was Jay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSM8fnl ... freload=10
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am with you all the way Reckless. When dirtbag Gavitt was appointed the coach of the U S Olympic team there was a great potential for a dilemma as I was leaning toward rooting for whatever team we were facing. Ultimately the problem went away when we boycotted the Olympics.
I say to this day that Marvin Barnes would have had a better (and much less controversial) life if Gavitt had disciplined him while at PC. In addition to the Ketvertis incident Marvin showed up at the Civic Center 10 minutes before game time and started and I believe scored 50 that night. In other words Marvin did whatever he wanted to do without any discipline from Gavitt.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Eli, that wasn't unusual for Barnes.
I was at a game at the PCC, where he showed up for warmups
about ten minutes before the game.
Gavitt never even said a word to him.
That sense of entitlement carried through his life.
It's common with so many basketball players and football players.
You don't get that in hockey or baseball, where players have to earn their promotions
to the big leagues and get many lessons in humility along the way.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Eli, that wasn't unusual for Barnes.
I was at a game at the PCC, where he showed up for warmups
about ten minutes before the game.
Gavitt never even said a word to him.
That sense of entitlement carried through his life.
It's common with so many basketball players and football players.
You don't get that in hockey or baseball, where players have to earn their promotions
to the big leagues and get many lessons in humility along the way.
There are a bunch of awesome stories about Marvin Barnes, and just that era of basketball in general, in Loose Balls by Terry Pluto. Horrible name for a book, but it's a fascinating oral history of the ABA. A "must read" for basketball history fans.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

eli#10 wrote:I am with you all the way Reckless. When dirtbag Gavitt was appointed the coach of the U S Olympic team there was a great potential for a dilemma as I was leaning toward rooting for whatever team we were facing. Ultimately the problem went away when we boycotted the Olympics.
I say to this day that Marvin Barnes would have had a better (and much less controversial) life if Gavitt had disciplined him while at PC. In addition to the Ketvertis incident Marvin showed up at the Civic Center 10 minutes before game time and started and I believe scored 50 that night. In other words Marvin did whatever he wanted to do without any discipline from Gavitt.
And Jim Harrick really cracked the whip on Lamar Odom. Was Marvin ever on a committee to hire a new coach?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Harrick suspended Lamar in 1999.
Kraft suspended Sly Williams twice.
I don't recall Marvin being suspended , even for almost killing
a teammate.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:I am with you all the way Reckless. When dirtbag Gavitt was appointed the coach of the U S Olympic team there was a great potential for a dilemma as I was leaning toward rooting for whatever team we were facing. Ultimately the problem went away when we boycotted the Olympics.
And Jim Harrick really cracked the whip on Lamar Odom. Was Marvin ever on a committee to hire a new coach?

How is Rodney Bullock CURRENTLY doing at PC? Any more alleged sexual assault cases involving him there? His fellow Friar Brandon Austin has shown that he should never have been allowed on a college campus ever again after the first incident at PC. It is sad that two schools thought otherwise and he ultimately struck again just a few months later.

I must say I am proud that URI acted swiftly with Jonathan Holton. I don't want bad characters like that in Kingston. Thankfully URI administrators acted swiftly and dismissed him. They didn't overrule a disciplinary committee's punishment and put him back on campus putting their student body in danger like some other local school did.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Once again, Sean embarrasses himself by opening his mouth.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:Once again, Sean embarrasses himself by opening his mouth.
Really? What was embarrassing? Pointing out the Hypocritical statement posted?

Bullock committed no crime. It was investigated by the school; which delivered a oneyear suspension for a student conduct infraction that didnt even warrant police action. What more should the school have done? The police and the AG investigated and decided not to go forward.

Please educate me on what PC should have done.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

seanmc94 wrote:

Bullock committed no crime. It was investigated by the school; which delivered a oneyear suspension for a student conduct infraction that didnt even warrant police action. What more should the school have done? The police and the AG investigated and decided not to go forward.

Do you feel the same way about Winston's case?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Sweep The Leg wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:

Do you feel the same way about Winston's case?
Are you really playing that weak card? Are you really comparing PC hoops to FSU football? A $350 millon booster organization vs. PC hoops? A heisman winner vs. a rotation guy. One missed Zero time. The other was suspended for a year.

That's your play?

Are you sure?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Please educate me on what PC should have done.[/quote]

Do you feel the same way about Winston's case?[/quote]

Are you really playing that weak card? Are you really comparing PC hoops to FSU football? A $350 millon booster organization vs. PC hoops? A heisman winner vs. a rotation guy. One missed Zero time. The other was suspended for a year.

That's your play?

Are you sure?[/quote]

Wow, you really do make up shit.. I asked you a question, that was it, which you didn't answer by the way. I'm guessing you don't like Winston and think he's guilty, right?

So, my 'play' was the same type of weak investigation happened in RI and at PC to what happened in FL and FSU. And happens at a lot of colleges. But, I think it's hypocritical for anyone to be mad at what happened at FSU and then try to defend a smaller school because if I reading your statement correctly because they are at a competitive and financial disadvantage.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Actually,

I did answer it. Apparently you are just too stupid to get it; so I'll type slowly.

Yes. I do think that a Heisman candidate for a super power in college football had a brush with the law handled by the university. Why? Because the school and the player have a long history of such occurrences. Winston has been protected for his entire career. Just like several FSU athletes before him. So I'm not surprised that this was handled by the university.

Now onto Bullock. Do I think that PC would risk a PR nightmare for a role player if he had actually done something illegal? No. Do I think that the school would block the police and AG from moving forward in the investigation? No. PC suspended Bullock for a year; despite the fact that there were no criminal charges. As I've stated several times; show me another situation where an athlete was suspended for a year without criminal charges or because of NCAA academic regulations?

Clear enough for you?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What an interesting concept. If a person is not officially charged with a crime, they did not commit one. Rob a bank and not get caught. No crime committed. Kill someone but not be charged. You are not a murderer. Rape women and not get charged. No crimes committed.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I do not understand the fascination several of you have with this URI vs. PC pissing contest over the criminal or near-criminal actions of past athletes. I'm splitting out these posts in the next couple of minutes.

EDIT: Split from "Games of Interest Week #7."
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

seanmc94 wrote:Actually,

I did answer it. Apparently you are just too stupid to get it; so I'll type slowly.

Yes. I do think that a Heisman candidate for a super power in college football had a brush with the law handled by the university. Why? Because the school and the player have a long history of such occurrences. Winston has been protected for his entire career. Just like several FSU athletes before him. So I'm not surprised that this was handled by the university.

Now onto Bullock. Do I think that PC would risk a PR nightmare for a role player if he had actually done something illegal? No. Do I think that the school would block the police and AG from moving forward in the investigation? No. PC suspended Bullock for a year; despite the fact that there were no criminal charges. As I've stated several times; show me another situation where an athlete was suspended for a year without criminal charges or because of NCAA academic regulations?

Clear enough for you?
You really didn't answer my question in your first response, you questioned the motive behind my question with random questions, but that's ok. I simply wanted a honest response to a legitimate question. And for someone who hates name calling, you got it down pat.

See, sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter who the player is. Why does it matter if he's a Heisman candidate or role player? Or the school they go to? Both are scholar athletes and represent their universities. There were no criminal charges, but a criminal complaint, correct? So, Austin gets busted again at Oregon St? Four months after he and Bullock were accused at PC. So, one would believe the police and PC didn't really do their due diligence. Was it because they were on the basketball team? Would two normal students receive the same treatment?

And no Catholic institution has ever turned a blind eye or covered up any sexual misconduct. Riiight.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote:What an interesting concept. If a person is not officially charged with a crime, they did not commit one. Rob a bank and not get caught. No crime committed. Kill someone but not be charged. You are not a murderer. Rape women and not get charged. No crimes committed.
RF1,

You love to throw the "rape" card around pretty loosely.

What are your FACTS behind calling Bullock a rapist?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Re: Former URI vs. PC athlete criminal comparison, part 571

Sweep,

How did PC turn a blind eye? They suspended the kid for a year. Who was convicted of sexual assault? Either by the school or a criminal court? NO ONE. You may not like PC, but PC handled this correctly. No criminal charges brought. Even after the police and AG looked into it.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Whats anyone's facts about calling Winston a rapist....I am not saying he is a good christian boy but I have a hard time believing it was not consensual....
0 x
Clapton is God
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Please....make it stop....
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

seanmc94 wrote:Sweep,

How did PC turn a blind eye? They suspended the kid for a year. Who was convicted of sexual assault? Either by the school or a criminal court? NO ONE. You may not like PC, but PC handled this correctly. No criminal charges brought. Even after the police and AG looked into it.
This will be my last post on this since everyone hates the topic.

You don't have to be charged or convicted to be guilty. I don't know if Bullock is guilty or not, but the fact his co-accusee was accused again 4 months later 3000 miles away seems to make me think it might have happened. So, my reaction is, did the police and PC really do their due diligence? Or did they brush it aside? Was their investigation and findings really thorough and unbiased?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Not sure what anyone is proving with these pissing contests. Both schools have had their share of troublemakers. Barnes was in a category all his own. Gavitt, Jimmy Adams, no one disciplined him. Everyone looked the other way until he was washed up at 28. Sly Williams and Lamar Odom were two of the NBA's big head cases. Except Sly became a felon. If you're talented coaches look the other way. See Parcells and Lawrence Taylor. These guys find trouble after playing because they never had to grow up.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

My point is that posters here like to paint ANYONE who wears Friar gear as guilty; even when they are exonerated by the police/AG. RF1 calls Bullock a rapist; even though he has no clue what he is talking about. Other posters talk about a cover up or PC turning a blind eye; when the truth couldn't be further from that. Comparing the Bullock case to Jameis Winston is so ignorant and laughable; it really reveals the thinly veiled agendas people have.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm with Rosie.
Can we just talk about basketball between URI and PC?
These put downs and comparisons are pointless.
It happens on their board and ours and comes off as petty.
Both schools are on the upswing with their basketball programs,
and that makes for an interesting rivalry in the future..
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Not that I need to get involved with all this again, but I didn't read one post where RF1 said Bullock was a rapist. By the way, what was he suspended for? And how do you compare Lamar Odom being on a committee versus Barnes trying to kill someone with a tire iron.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

seanmc94 wrote:My point is that posters here like to paint ANYONE who wears Friar gear as guilty; even when they are exonerated by the police/AG. RF1 calls Bullock a rapist; even though he has no clue what he is talking about. Other posters talk about a cover up or PC turning a blind eye; when the truth couldn't be further from that. Comparing the Bullock case to Jameis Winston is so ignorant and laughable; it really reveals the thinly veiled agendas people have.
I never compared the two. I asked what you thought of the Winston case. Holy shit...
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

A little off topic (if that's possible), it will be interesting to see how the pros treat Winston on draft day. I wouldn't want him on my team.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Depends on his combine. Some teams will bypass him. They did with Warren Sapp and Randy Moss. But talent makes up for being a jerk in many eyes.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

[/quote] So, my 'play' was the same type of weak investigation happened in RI and at PC to what happened in FL and FSU. And happens at a lot of colleges. But, I think it's hypocritical for anyone to be mad at what happened at FSU and then try to defend a smaller school because if I reading your statement correctly because they are at a competitive and financial disadvantage.]

You really didn't answer my question in your first response, you questioned the motive behind my question with random questions, but that's ok. I simply wanted a honest response to a legitimate question. And for someone who hates name calling, you got it down pat.

See, sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter who the player is. Why does it matter if he's a Heisman candidate or role player? Or the school they go to? Both are scholar athletes and represent their universities. There were no criminal charges, but a criminal complaint, correct? So, Austin gets busted again at Oregon St? Four months after he and Bullock were accused at PC. So, one would believe the police and PC didn't really do their due diligence. Was it because they were on the basketball team? Would two normal students receive the same treatment?

And no Catholic institution has ever turned a blind eye or covered up any sexual misconduct. Riiight.[/quote]

I'm sorry, I took these as comparing the two.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''ENOUGH! Don't you guys have Christmas presents to wrap or give out?????
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''ENOUGH! Don't you guys have Christmas presents to wrap or give out?????
So, debates and opionions are reserved for only non-holidays? Then shut down the site until 1/2/15.

I never tell people on this board to stop voicing their thoughts even when it's mindless name calling and put downs. I apprciciate the same.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ramblinrose wrote:Depends on his combine. Some teams will bypass him. They did with Warren Sapp and Randy Moss. But talent makes up for being a jerk in many eyes.

This is true. But, a quarterback is different. He's a team's biggest investment. He needs to be a leader. Not someone like Manziel who decides after 15 freakin' weeks that he has to start taking football seriously.
But, time will tell.
Now we can get back to our Holiday subject of criminals on campus. lol
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Manziel dropped to 22 and it was still waay too high.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Just make it stop. It isn't about basketball and it makes both teams look bad. Make it stop!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Captainron@ wrote:Just make it stop. It isn't about basketball and it makes both teams look bad. Make it stop!
If Sean got banned, this type of crap would stop. I don't see how he adds anything positive to this forum. He comes here, stirs up shit, and a 2 page argument ensues, no matter what the topic. Can someone enlighten me as to what he contributes here?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If people would block Sean it would stop as well. How can you expect the moderators to block him if you won't block him yourself?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Because when I block him, I can't figure out what happens to every thread he ruins with his shit. When I can't see his comments, I get confused in threads I find interesting. I just think the forum would be much better off without him.....just my opinion, because he adds nothing and ruins interesting threads.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey Sean--there is not much the police can do if the victim remains silent and does not press charges. Also, Cooley was quite pissed off when they were suspended for the year. He clearly wanted the school to not do anything.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

This whole thread is quite embarrassing and come off as sour grapes. Let's see we can not beat them on the court so let's attack a guy who has been dead for two years.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

This type of whatever is a waste of time. I always wonder about the mental state of the posters.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

eli#10 wrote:Hey Sean--there is not much the police can do if the victim remains silent and does not press charges. Also, Cooley was quite pissed off when they were suspended for the year. He clearly wanted the school to not do anything.
Nice leap. Cooley was upset at the year long suspensions (again, waiting on any example of a harsher penalty doled out anywhere in D1) so therefore he must have wanted ZERO punishment.

Here's the problem with your premise. The victim did come firward and did want to press charges. The police/AG looked into it and decided there wasnt a case.

What else ya got?

As for the posters that dont like the content of the thread; dont click on it
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Because when I block him, I can't figure out what happens to every thread he ruins with his shit. When I can't see his comments, I get confused in threads I find interesting. I just think the forum would be much better off without him.....just my opinion, because he adds nothing and ruins interesting threads.
Of course you can figure it out, you can display any one of his posts as you choose when you block him. And if the people that asked to have him blocked did it themselves then he wouldn't be able to ruin threads. Starve a fire of oxygen, the fire goes out. If you're not personally willing to block him yourself you shouldn't ask to have him blocked from the board.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This is an absolutely pointless thread.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:
Captainron@ wrote:Just make it stop. It isn't about basketball and it makes both teams look bad. Make it stop!
If Sean got banned, this type of crap would stop. I don't see how he adds anything positive to this forum. He comes here, stirs up shit, and a 2 page argument ensues, no matter what the topic. Can someone enlighten me as to what he contributes here?
William,

I know you like to paint me as the villan; but i wasnt the one calling Dave Gavitt a POS and denigrating Marvin Barnes. Of course, you have me blocked, so you wont read this.

Riiiiiggghhhhtttt
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Sean. I used to defend you. But your adolescent need to always get the last word is painful. Please frequent the PC board. Your posts are a recurring migraine. Do everyone a favor.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
William,

I know you like to paint me as the villan; but i wasnt the one calling Dave Gavitt a POS and denigrating Marvin Barnes. Of course, you have me blocked, so you wont read this.

Riiiiiggghhhhtttt
Well, in my opinion, Gavitt and Barnes were both despicable human beings. Apparently, you feel the same way about Sly and Lamar, but that's ok. I said I DID have you blocked, but you screw up so many threads with your crap, that I can't follow what the hell is going on in them. I just wish you would go away. Can you tell me what your motive is for coming to this forum?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He has no self-esteem and unfortunately this board is the only place that gives him attention.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

William,

I don't remember ever posting about Sly and Lamar being despicable human beings. I've stated several times that I frequent several boards to talk college hoops. This being one of them. I enjoy talking college hoops with people who have different points of view.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:William,

I don't remember ever posting about Sly and Lamar being despicable human beings. I've stated several times that I frequent several boards to talk college hoops. This being one of them. I enjoy talking college hoops with people who have different points of view.
But you rarely do.
0 x