Funny...or not

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Funny...or not

Unread post by ramsman75 »

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/what-every ... .html?hp=1

Have some fun with this...here is the excerpt for RI

Rhode Island: Highest teacher absenteeism

More than half of Rhode Island teachers had missed more than 10 days during the school year, and one in five had missed at least 20 days of school. If you did that as a student, you’d be held back. And to think, Rhode Island’s teachers still get paid more than teachers in South Dakota.

If I did that in my job I'd be fired!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Funny...or not

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Right? If I call out sick from work I always end up working from home as it is.

I believe teachers also get personal days thrown into the mix in addition to sick days. Don't get me started as I don't want to offend anyone on the board, but with that mentality about sick and vacation time-- a lot of teachers would not last one day outside of the public sector.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not a teacher, but I've always found that attitude funny. If it's that great of a gig how dumb do we have to be to not be teachers?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Most of that is funny. Most puppy mills? Least heliports? Who thinks up this stuff?

I think they nailed it about CT.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, they also work exactly one half of a year. Not long hours 8:15-3:00, usually.
When I was in high school, before collective bargaining,
most teachers had summer jobs or part time jobs, because
the pay was nothing special.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

In fairness, every teacher I know works a lot longer every day than 8:15-3:30. Those are school hours, but barely begins to tell the story of the hours good teachers put in.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:In fairness, every teacher I know works a lot longer every day than 8:15-3:30. Those are school hours, but barely begins to tell the story of the hours good teachers put in.
I know this is a touchy subject for some, I have gotten into with a few teachers that I know over this as well. I totally agree they put in alot more hours than just the school day. My answer to that is always that I (and alot of people) put in alot more hours than their typical 9-5 calls for as well, but the difference is I do it 12 months a year and they do it about 10 months a year.

Not trying to minimize their role or anything like that, just the way it is. And I'm jealous of those two months!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't even know what 9-5 means. I'm working right now. Haha.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

These discussions usually come about from people bashing the profession, not teachers bitching about how bad their jobs are. Be a teacher if it's that great of a gig. If you're a parent, you're literally entrusting the most important thing in your world to these professionals but then want to say those people couldn't make it in a "real job" or don't deserve the perks that come with their chosen professional career. I'm a psychologist and have worked in both educational and hospital settings- both have their pluses and negatives. In the areas I've worked in, most of my teacher colleagues- the majority of which are masters level- do have side jobs (or spouses/partners that are in a more lucrative field) and also contribute quite a lot of their own money to supplies and materials for their students- anything from field trip fees to books to backpacks full of food that go home on Fridays. They're not special, it's all included in how they see their role. Are there bad teachers out there? Of course, just like there are bad dentists and bad accountants and bad basketball coaches who cash a check they're probably not really earning. I understand criticizing individuals, I will never understand railing against an entire profession.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:I don't even know what 9-5 means. I'm working right now. Haha.
Me, too- putting the final touches on a summary paragraph- I'll have to double check it in the morning, though, for clarity. And I have a couple students to work with at 8, but it honestly will be great- 4 year olds with Autism are generally awesome and don't really care if you're sleep deprived!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ace, you continue to be the best. Godspeed.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Worked for years with school districts around the state, I'm not one to parse out my opinions based on whom I might offend so here goes...

Like many other jobs, if you don't care about the clients/product/service you can and will coast as much as possible. As for teachers in RI, the ones that care about students (and that happens in degrees) can be very hard workers and their work anxiety is related to the success of their students, that is not something an empathetic person just shuts down at the sound of the last bell.

The concept that a public sector teacher wouldn't last a day in the private sector is fine, but that argument works in reverse as I would submit that those who choose to steer clear of rooms full of other people's kids do so for a good reason, because they wouldn't last a day in that environment.

I have known many teachers in my professional life, some of them couldn't care less about the product and take full advantage of the system and others care too deeply and need each of those 'off' moments for decompression and to avoid burn-out.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think, as in all union driven professions, it's almost impossible to weed out the
bad ones, and replace them with those who will do the right job.
When I was in social services, we had case workers who actually hated and resented
those they served. There were others who could discern the people in need from the
ones who milked the system. You could be the best and work along side the worst. Both
got the same pay, if they began at the same time. Tenure over merit.
I can tell you that at my granddaughter's school, you can't find a teacher there
after 3:15. Some have older students grading papers.
Also, they do work exactly one half the calendar year. FACT.
I'm sure it's no great shakes teaching the ill mannered kids of today, no
matter what grade level.
I had The Sisters of No Mercy, who ruled their classrooms with an iron fist,
or metal edged rulers, anyway.
Half of them would be in jail today, for the things they did to their students.
Nobody forced anyone to join any profession. I've known teachers who
acted like they were as stressed out as SWAT team members,
and constantly complaining about how tough they have it.
If it's so bad, get out. There's always someone there to replace you.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rod nailed it about unions. Leads to so much waste and ineptitude.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Do you realize that there is someone in the Sheriff's Dept.
who has a State of RI job and does nothing but union business?
He's taking the spot of someone who could actually be doing something
in that department, and does zero for the State.
Only in Rhode Island!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't even know what 9-5 means. I'm working right now. Haha.

It's a movie, starring Dolly Parton.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I love that argument, teachers only work half the year. Ok, so if you hold their weekends against them, which they work through grading papers, then you have to hold weekends against yourself, meaning the average person between weekends, vacations, etc. works less than 70% of the year.

Again, if it's that great of a job, how dumb do you have to be to not be a teacher?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who the hell wants to deal with unruly children?
The point is, so many teacher bitch and moan about how hard their job is.
Nobody is forcing them to stay. I'm, sure they spend their entire weekend correcting papers.,
right?
I don't know any other job, outside of professional sports, where they have as much time off as teachers.
They have a ten days off coming next week. Another week in February, another in March,
then over two months off for summer.
How many in the private sector can say that?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:These discussions usually come about from people bashing the profession, not teachers bitching about how bad their jobs are. Be a teacher if it's that great of a gig. If you're a parent, you're literally entrusting the most important thing in your world to these professionals but then want to say those people couldn't make it in a "real job" or don't deserve the perks that come with their chosen professional career. I'm a psychologist and have worked in both educational and hospital settings- both have their pluses and negatives. In the areas I've worked in, most of my teacher colleagues- the majority of which are masters level- do have side jobs (or spouses/partners that are in a more lucrative field) and also contribute quite a lot of their own money to supplies and materials for their students- anything from field trip fees to books to backpacks full of food that go home on Fridays. They're not special, it's all included in how they see their role. Are there bad teachers out there? Of course, just like there are bad dentists and bad accountants and bad basketball coaches who cash a check they're probably not really earning. I understand criticizing individuals, I will never understand railing against an entire profession.
Yeah, totally agree with all this. Hope my comments weren't taken the wrong way. I really was not trying to bash the whole profession. I'm not sure its something I would ever have the patience to do.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I love that argument, teachers only work half the year. Ok, so if you hold their weekends against them, which they work through grading papers, then you have to hold weekends against yourself, meaning the average person between weekends, vacations, etc. works less than 70% of the year.

Again, if it's that great of a job, how dumb do you have to be to not be a teacher?
Yeah so this is exactly what I was talking about. If you're going to use the assumption that teachers all work alot more than just the school day (which I agree alot of them do) then you can't ignore the fact that alot of private sector people work alot more than their "40 hours a week" calls for as well. They just don't get summers off.

It's just not a valid argument to use the highest level of dedication from a teacher as the norm and then use the lowest level of dedication from a private sector employee and compare them.

Now saying that is not some indictment from me on the entire teaching profession in any way, so please do not take it that way.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I'm not a teacher and I don't see any reason why a young, capable person would choose it as a career at this point. The schedule and benefits are great and yes the union stuff does make it possible for some to coast. Its still not worth it. The kids aren't even the worst part (the parents are worse than the kids). The worst part is there's no place in the profession for teachers who are creative, interesting, or engaging, or even those that want to help students excel. Its all about data collection, teaching to the test, following a written curriculum to a t, and the focus is primarily on bringing the lowest level learners to the bottom of the middle. Most public school teachers who enjoyed their job 10 years ago, hate it now.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

BFC wrote:I'm not a teacher and I don't see any reason why a young, capable person would choose it as a career at this point. The schedule and benefits are great and yes the union stuff does make it possible for some to coast. Its still not worth it. The kids aren't even the worst part (the parents are worse than the kids). The worst part is there's no place in the profession for teachers who are creative, interesting, or engaging, or even those that want to help students excel. Its all about data collection, teaching to the test, following a written curriculum to a t, and the focus is primarily on bringing the lowest level learners to the bottom of the middle. Most public school teachers who enjoyed their job 10 years ago, hate it now.
Great points!

In addition with Common Core standards-- you can't say 10-7=3. You have to come up with a written statement on HOW you arrived at that conclusion.

I completely agree that the parents are worse than the kids, and I feel sorry for what some teachers must have to put up with. I was very fortunate with my high school experience where I was encouraged and nurtured to be a creative thinker and learner. I did go to Catholic school, so the curriculum was a bit different than what public schools had. Students wanted to be there and the teachers wanted to be there.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I love that argument, teachers only work half the year. Ok, so if you hold their weekends against them, which they work through grading papers, then you have to hold weekends against yourself, meaning the average person between weekends, vacations, etc. works less than 70% of the year.

Yeah so this is exactly what I was talking about. If you're going to use the assumption that teachers all work alot more than just the school day (which I agree alot of them do) then you can't ignore the fact that alot of private sector people work alot more than their "40 hours a week" calls for as well. They just don't get summers off.

It's just not a valid argument to use the highest level of dedication from a teacher as the norm and then use the lowest level of dedication from a private sector employee and compare them.
I don't even see that as the point, though. A lot of jobs (certainly not all) have perks, big or small- paid vacation, work from home options, free meals, company cars, year ends bonuses, travel, etc. I have a friend who does something for Apple, and she is always entertaining clients courtside at Knicks games or in New York restaurants I have to google because it's so far outside of my daily life. A reduced work calendar is one such perk for some educators. Undoubtedly. It's not as reduced as some like to think, though. I see no reason to get into a pissing match about days worked. My husband works in medicine; his schedule is usually alternating weeks of 3 12-hour shifts and 4 12-hour shifts, which comes up to less days than a school calendar. I wouldn't want to do his job, though. Ever. Put me in a trauma room emergency department, and I'd likely dissolve into a puddle of ineptitude in the corner.

I do think that some teachers can get defensive, often in response to claims that they're glorified babysitters or that they barely put in the hours of a full time career, which result in these ultimately frustrating and pointless conversations. I'm not even sure how so many people find themselves in a position to have so many of these conversations. People have a need to be appreciated and to feel heard and understood, and the easy dismissal of someone's job is an easy trigger. Almost everyone complains about their job from time to time, regardless of profession. It's what we do as people. If it's the bulk of what you say about your job, though, knock it off- try to change things within the system in which you work, get a new job, or accept it.
0 x