Narragansett Ad Hoc Committee discusses URI Rental Problems

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Re: Narragansett Ad Hoc Committee discusses URI Rental Probl

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

section(105) wrote:Recently, the Narragansett Planning Board made a formal recommendation to support a concept to restrict no more than four unrelated persons living in a rental house. The Town Council referred/requested the PB to weigh in on this concept. The TC will in the near future place this on an agenda for voting the concept up/down. The TC agenda to nite includes receiving the PB recommendation. This concept was brought forth by the Ad-Hoc Committee, sub-committe for zoning.
they should probably wait to see what happens with the Providence ordinance that is being challenged. Rules like this have been struck down over and over again, and I think Narragansett has been through that before in the 90s.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
section(105) wrote:Recently, the Narragansett Planning Board made a formal recommendation to support a concept to restrict no more than four unrelated persons living in a rental house. The Town Council referred/requested the PB to weigh in on this concept. The TC will in the near future place this on an agenda for voting the concept up/down. The TC agenda to nite includes receiving the PB recommendation. This concept was brought forth by the Ad-Hoc Committee, sub-committe for zoning.
they should probably wait to see what happens with the Providence ordinance that is being challenged. Rules like this have been struck down over and over again, and I think Narragansett has been through that before in the 90s.
To kind of address some factual things here:

1) The ad hoc committee was empaneled by the Town Council; it's a subcommittee of that entity, not planning or zoning. Unless something has changed, they're technically disbanded because their charge ran out in summer 2015, when they gave their recommendations to the Town Council. However, they're still asked to attend and testify at subsequent meetings. The ad hoc committee itself had a few low intensity landlords on it, but really, not strong representation from them or URI or URI students. (Administrators stopped going after the first two meetings were essentially 90+ minute gripe sessions.)

2) After the ad hoc presented to the council in summer / fall 2015 (roughly), the council has since kicked the can to the Planning Board to weigh in. Hence, these hearings now. In the past, Planning Board recommendations held more weight, but the current council has an odd make-up.

3) Narragansett's attempted ordinance in the 1990s was for 3 unrelated being the max, which they lost a Superior Court decision on and never appealed. That essentially struck down that limit. They would sidestep it by creating this new ordinance, which would limit property owners to 4 unrelated tenants in a home.

4) I'm not versed enough with the Providence ordinance or the challenge to it to know if it has a chance of holding up in court. But yes, I imagine it would be precedent setting for any Narragansett ordinance, and I think Newport and Bristol have similar ones as well.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As of the 3/21/16 Town Council meeting and public hearing on the no more than four unrelated zoning change proposed ordinance; the TC is poised to vote to adopt this at their next meeting. A majority of the TC spoke in favor of the zoning change during discussion. TC member Chris Wilkens requested and was granted a couple of week delay on final TC vote to review all hearing information.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....update; the Narragansett TC acted to further delay their adoption(or not)of the no more than four unrelated people living in a rental home to the 05/02 TC meeting. This delay was requested so that staff and potentially the Ad-Hoc Committee's inputs in a revised rental registration form could be reviewed. The thinking is to have the rental registration form revision be part of the implementation and enforcement of this new zoning ordinance.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

OOPS!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rodfromcranston wrote:OOPS!
Yeah...I was fearin' ya might be cited for off topic-ness for a minute there...
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Well they passed this ordinance. This is so stupid.

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... e63e3.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How does this do anything about large parties?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow what a joke.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Was there a house renting to 800 unrelated people?

Kagel said. “The town’s economy has been based on welcoming a wide range of tourists and other renters for 130 years at least. . ."

I wonder what the inside story on this is. Will it be enforced? How long can this last? Who are the people pushing it?

Remember the article that discussed the Gansett resident that called the police on a party that didn't exist and the police punished him somehow?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

This already exists in many college towns. I was visiting my sister at William and Mary last weekend and they have a similar ordinance that allows 4 unrelated renters at a time. However, they had 6 people living in the house and paying rent. The rent was set for 6 people to afford and the landlord was aware there were 6 people living there. However, only 4 people are on the lease and no one is the wiser. I suspect this same thing will happen here and the big houses will not be able to rent through Lila Delman or Durkin, etc. because they will have to follow the rules.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Remember the article that discussed the Gansett resident that called the police on a party that didn't exist and the police punished him somehow?
The best part of that was the resident that called the cops was a member of the URI-Narragansett coalition and a communications professor at URI. I believe his name was Wardell.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Doug Wardwell was the professor and it happened in October of 2006:

http://www.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/?arc ... e=Wardwell
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Get off my lawn! Problem was there wasn't anyone on his lawn.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Among the many reasons why this is dumb is that it is only going to increase the number of houses rented to students during the year. It is also going to prevent people like me and my friends - who are in our 30s with children and rent beach houses in the summer - from coming the Narragansett and spending our money there.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: It is also going to prevent people like me and my friends - who are in our 30s with children and rent beach houses in the summer - from coming the Narragansett and spending our money there.
This is exactly what I was thinking, but I thought maybe I was just missing something. I hope the whole thing backfires right in their faces.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:Among the many reasons why this is dumb is that it is only going to increase the number of houses rented to students during the year. It is also going to prevent people like me and my friends - who are in our 30s with children and rent beach houses in the summer - from coming the Narragansett and spending our money there.
That added demand is going jump start rents in a hurry......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Was that the point of this, though? I thought residents were tired of the noise that comes with living next to students. If it was intended to jumpstart the rental market then good job, I guess, but I didn't realize that the issue was not enough residents lived next to students. (I also don't know that this will really be a stimulus overall for the rental market because you are (1) screwing people with larger homes and (2) as I mentioned before, chasing people like me out of the lucrative high-end summer rental market.)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:Was that the point of this, though? I thought residents were tired of the noise that comes with living next to students. If it was intended to jumpstart the rental market then good job, I guess, but I didn't realize that the issue was not enough residents lived next to students. (I also don't know that this will really be a stimulus overall for the rental market because you are (1) screwing people with larger homes and (2) as I mentioned before, chasing people like me out of the lucrative high-end summer rental market.)
TP, the point of the whole upheaval was the students were absolutely out of control. The last year not at all. There were no heroin packets on my front lawn, no fires on my street and the students seem to be actually happier believe it or not. Narragansett is really a nice town. People love to live here. And tourists are of course welcome. It's a family friendly town and we expect to keep it that way. I don't lock my car door. Why should I? You should really feel safe bringing your family to Narragansett. If your kid is out and about, I guarantee you should feel at ease. We expect to keep that here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm very removed from the situation but could you have solved a lot of the problem by putting a patrol in eastward look and bonnet on thurs/fri/sat during the school year rather than pass this kind of a law, which can be viewed as discriminatory? I just think it seems like an overreaction.

And this is anecdotal but not theoretical: me and four of my high school friends (along with our wives and kids) have rented places in Narragansett for the week during the summer. Under this rule that is no longer an option for us (in Narragansett - it still is just about everywhere else), even though there are plenty of places big/nice enough to accommodate us. We spent good money at restaurants and local stores when we went there. Now we will be going somewhere else. Seems shortsighted from that standpoint, but I don't live there.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:I'm very removed from the situation but could you have solved a lot of the problem by putting a patrol in eastward look and bonnet on thurs/fri/sat during the school year rather than pass this kind of a law, which can be viewed as discriminatory? I just think it seems like an overreaction.

And this is anecdotal but not theoretical: me and four of my high school friends (along with our wives and kids) have rented places in Narragansett for the week during the summer. Under this rule that is no longer an option for us (in Narragansett - it still is just about everywhere else), even though there are plenty of places big/nice enough to accommodate us. We spent good money at restaurants and local stores when we went there. Now we will be going somewhere else. Seems shortsighted from that standpoint, but I don't live there.
This shouldn't stop you. Just put one on family on the rental agreement and be done with it. It is not an enforceable rule, and the last time they tried it, it was taken to State Supreme Court who ruled it as such. I don't know why they think they could enforce it now.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So it is in fact discriminary since leases and weekly rentals are executed differently.
0 x