PASSED: Question 4, $125M bond for College of Engineering

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PASSED: Question 4, $125M bond for College of Engineering

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Election Day, November 4th will be a critical day for URI, as a bond issue will go up before voters to approve a $125 million bond that will create a new 195,000 square foot College of Engineering building and renovate existing facilities. It's going to be critical for us, as friends URI, to be passionate and informative when it comes to this issue to make sure it's passed.

http://engineering4ri.com/
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Vote YES on 4, $125 million bond for College of Engineer

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OMG, if this has any problem passing, Rhode Islanders truly are some of the dumbest in the nation when it comes to appreciating the positive effect a strong university can have on local economy. Look at all the local companies who endorse this. No Brainer!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Has to be yes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

We win for having misinformed and uneducated voters in this state. These people put Governor Moonbeam in office.

Having this pass will be crucial for the state's economy. I just hope the folks in the northern part of the state get it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think this is going to be much closer than it should be. I posted something about this on Facebook today and one of my friends who graduated from URI and lives in Newport absolutely trashed the idea. "URI doesn't need another $125 million. Another waste." "Don't dump MORE money into that sinkhole called URI."
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I think this is going to be much closer than it should be. I posted something about this on Facebook today and one of my friends who graduated from URI and lives in Newport absolutely trashed the idea. "URI doesn't need another $125 million. Another waste." "Don't dump MORE money into that sinkhole called URI."
We have, by far, the most ignorant residents of any state in the country. When people think ignorance, most of think Mississippi or Arkansas. But nope, Little Rhody sets the standard for American ignorance.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Taylor Swift wrote:We win for having misinformed and uneducated voters in this state. These people put Governor Moonbeam in office.

Having this pass will be crucial for the state's economy. I just hope the folks in the northern part of the state get it.
It isn't really a region thing, both the Chemistry and Pharmacy building bonds had much higher approval percentages in Providence than South Kingstown. I think the suburban and rural communities have more voters concerned with the state's debt (and rightly so) but unfortunately many of those voters look at Higher Ed bonds as just more wasteful spending.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:We win for having misinformed and uneducated voters in this state. These people put Governor Moonbeam in office.

It isn't really a region thing, both the Chemistry and Pharmacy building bonds had much higher approval percentages in Providence than South Kingstown. I think the suburban and rural communities have more voters concerned with the state's debt (and rightly so) but unfortunately many of those voters look at Higher Ed bonds as just more wasteful spending.
Voters should be concerned about the state's debt, but investing in education - particularly higher education - is a longterm solution to the state's fiscal woes. There are a lot of things Rhode Island wastes money on, but higher ed isn't one of them. We drastically underspend. It is simply shortsightedness; the same shortsightedness that creates an unwelcoming environment for business.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Frightening ignorance in the Projo comments for that piece. No surprise.

Mother in law was questioning whether we should have $125/150M but she has NO idea that the existing facilities are from the 50s and 60s, before she was even old enough to attend college!

"And they want to have a privately run hotel too?!? All the pimps and drug dealers will operate from there!!" :roll:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It wasn't necessarily a northern vs southern split nor Democrat vs Republican or even rural/suburban vs urban. To me it seemed that the educational level of the resident played a big part. The last big bond for URI in 2010 for the chem building passed in most communities (won statewide with 55%). The exceptions were towns such as Woonsocket, North Smithfield, Burrillville, Glocester, Foster, West Warwick, Coventry, Hopkinton, West Greenwich, and Tiverton.
Link:
http://www.ri.gov/election/results/2010 ... s/502.html

November 9, 2006 — Thirty-eight of Rhode Island’s 39 cities and towns approved the higher education bond issue that will provide $65 million for a new College of Pharmacy building at the University of Rhode Island.
Link:
http://web.uri.edu/pharmacy/2006/11/09/ ... -building/

Fiascos like 38 Studios may unfortunately make voters very wary of anything put forth by the politicians.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Amazing, URI needs a bond issue for any of these project, but the Dunk, which was owned by the corrupt City of Providence gets bought and fixed over by the state and there is no bond issue for about the same as the new Engineering Bond 4. Well, hopefully this will win, but I think the 6 digit price tag might turn people away. But voters would have not reluctance approving the same money for Bike Paths. Why have engineering jobs, when you can get a job selling hot dogs at the Dunk?

Many people confuse spending for Higher Ed in RI, which ranks almost the lowest in the country, with spending on Primary and Secondary Ed, which is among the highest.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:Amazing, URI needs a bond issue for any of these project, but the Dunk, which was owned by the corrupt City of Providence gets bought and fixed over by the state and there is no bond issue for about the same as the new Engineering Bond 4. Well, hopefully this will win, but I think the 6 digit price tag might turn people away. But voters would have not reluctance approving the same money for Bike Paths. Why have engineering jobs, when you can get a job selling hot dogs at the Dunk?

Many people confuse spending for Higher Ed in RI, which ranks almost the lowest in the country, with spending on Primary and Secondary Ed, which is among the highest.

I don't get the whole bond issue for URI. The Ryan Center was not built with a voter approved bond question. The pharmacy and chem buildings were. The SADC and improvements to Meade was put to a vote and rejected. As you alluded to, the DDC project was purchased and renovated without a bond. Why is it that bonds seem to be needed for most every project at URI while it isn't for other things in RI. I don't think UConn and UMass-Amherst projects have to go the voters in their states. Can someone please explain the rationale in RI.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I believe Gereral Obligation Bonds have to be voted on by the public, General Obligation Bonds are guaranteed to be paid back with tax revenue. The other bonds are revenue bonds, which are supposed to be paid back with the revenue generated by the particular state agency (ex.: Transportation Authority, Water Authority, Conv. Center Authority, EDC, etc.)
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I think this is going to be much closer than it should be. I posted something about this on Facebook today and one of my friends who graduated from URI and lives in Newport absolutely trashed the idea. "URI doesn't need another $125 million. Another waste." "Don't dump MORE money into that sinkhole called URI."
We have, by far, the most ignorant residents of any state in the country. When people think ignorance, most of think Mississippi or Arkansas. But nope, Little Rhody sets the standard for American ignorance.

Totally. It's disgusting. We have enough pizza places, nail salons, barber shops, and ice cream places per capita. I guess engineering and education aren't important.
0 x
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Taylor Swift:

I must respectively disagree with your comment about Rhode Island having the most misinformed and uneducated voters. Most corrupt, maybe but the voters of Maine would give Rhode Island a good run for the money in the those two catagories. Maine citizens are generally honest but have a high stupidity factor.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maine may have less formal education than Rhode Island (stress may; I don't know that to be true), but there is no way Maine is as backwards and self-loathing and dead set on doing every possible thing to make sure they stay that way as Rhode Islanders are. I am sure Mainers, if given the opportunity, would see the value in investing in higher education and their state's economy whether they are themselves college graduates or not. Rhode Islanders are so logic defyingly stupid on just about every matter that they ever get to vote on you'd almost think they were doing it on purpose to prove a point. (Which point? Nobody knows.....)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Fortunately, most higher ed bond issues pass. I hope this one does.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wow, I was angry this morning!

I hope you're right, Rod. I asked my father which way he felt the wind was blowing on it, and he expects it to pass. It just shouldn't even be a question. It definitely aggravates me.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The deadline to register to vote passed already. Today at 4 pm is the deadline to apply for a mail ballot. Here is the link to follow for the application:

http://sos.ri.gov/documents/elections/E-1.pdf
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Heard a radio commercial today in support on 103.7.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The South County Independent's editorial this week was in favor of the bond, and pretty much all of the candidates running for election down here are supporting it as well. I'm not sure if Brown or another polling place has done anything on it, but it seems like it'll be approved.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The General Assembly leaders came out today in support of the bond via an editorial piece in the Projo:

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... conomy.ece
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh man... anyone see the typical ignorant comment at the bottom of the Projo story above? I had to set them straight.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Oh man... anyone see the typical ignorant comment at the bottom of the Projo story above? I had to set them straight.

It sure would be news to the basketball and football coaches that they get paid MILLIONS.

Besides, as mentioned many times before, the state contributes only about 9% of the operating budget at URI. Very little taxpayer money goes to operating expenses. URI funds over 90%.

Ignorant poster on Projo. There is something he doesn't like so his inclination is to be against a totally unrelated issue which would help spur the local economy. Classic cutting off the nose to spite the face syndrome. Rhode Islanders are a strange breed. They don't seem to want to take action to make things better or in many cases want things better. They seem to be a defeatist pessismistic self loathing bunch that is generally accepting of low standards.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It seems to have support on the right from business owners and chambers of commerce and now support on the left from the members of the General Assembly. It also seems to be universally approved by editorial boards on papers throughout the state. You'd like to think that's enough to push it through, but I won't feel good about it until late Election night.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Unfortunately, many voters just give a knee-jerk reaction such as the Projo posters. Let's hope the near universal support from business, political and media leaders outnumbers the knowledge-impaired.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Oh man... anyone see the typical ignorant comment at the bottom of the Projo story above? I had to set them straight.
I am so sick of the uneducated and misinformed idiots who make stupid comments like that. Obviously this guy doesn't know ANYTHING. I can just imagine the idiots showing up to vote that day and selecting "no". I guess they'd rather have RI filled with people who work as Walmart cashiers.

I really hope that #4 passes.

I "liked" your comment, ATP. haha
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATP, I don't see your reply, I only see the one from clownshoes and one from a Gladys Dixon
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So when is the spaghetti and meatball dinner for this? In Rhode Island, we only vote for whoever has the best free meal.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Grrr....typical ignorant comments.
I nailed them, and so did ATP and Scott Breault.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rod, I am Scott
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I know. I've met you a few times.
Didn't want to give away someone's identity, unless
I knew it was OK.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't mind
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I appreciate the general assembly's support here, but many of the points they make about why URI needs a new engineering building could be made about everything at URI. It's time the state's flagship university is treated as such.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tomorrow is election day.

Remember to get out to vote and make certain you check YES on 4 on your ballot. Do not skip the referendum questions as many do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I live out of state but have tried to do my part by calling friends and family reminding them to vote. I also posted a plea on Facebook for people to do their part and support their state university and the economic future of Rhode Island. If you have a few minutes to do the same it can't hurt.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The sick part of putting this to a vote is that I read over 400k was spent to promote passage. That is 400k that could have actually been better spent on the building itself. The way RI operates is just wrong. The state is its own worst enemy.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep... it should have just been "naturally" passed via the General Assembly. Obnoxious to even put something as obviously necessary to a referendum vote. As if it's even an option?!?!?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I think general obligation bonds should have to get voter approval.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BFC wrote:I think general obligation bonds should have to get voter approval.

So you are perfectly ok with 400K being thrown away (paid to printers and media outlets) to promote passage?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RF1 wrote:
BFC wrote:I think general obligation bonds should have to get voter approval.

So you are perfectly ok with 400K being thrown away (paid to printers and media outlets) to promote passage?
Obviously I wish Dooley and the supporters didn't feel the need to spend that money because public support for this item was a given, but they didn't feel confident and chose to spend it. I don't think giving the General Assembly the power to borrow money against future tax revenue anytime they want is a better option and I don't think the Office of Higher Ed. having to issue a revenue bond which would have to be paid back with future URI revenue is a better option either. Yes it would be nice if URI was so flush with cash that they could take care of these things themselves without it significantly impacting future budgets but that's not happening in any of our lifetimes. Given the current state of things, a general obigation bond is the best option.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There has to be a better way. I don't believe this process is used in neighboring MA and CT for new buildings at UMass and UConn.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that hundreds of thousands of dollars is used for ballot promotion rather than bricks and mortar. This is an ass backwards way of operating.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RF1 wrote:There has to be a better way. I don't believe this process is used in neighboring MA and CT for new buildings at UMass and UConn.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that hundreds of thousands of dollars is used for ballot promotion rather than bricks and mortar. This is an ass backwards way of operating.
Both use revenue bonds. I think Conn. then allocates money to the university system to make the bond payments or something like that. UMass has to pay their own bonds or the majority of it anyway. RI isn't the only state that issues general obligation bonds for university construction but it does seem to be becoming less common. I think URI is better off keeping the debt out of their budget until the public university support mindset in this state changes but that's just my opinion.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My guess is that the cost of the campaign to push passage may have been built into the total amount to be bonded.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:My guess is that the cost of the campaign to push passage may have been built into the total amount to be bonded.....

I would not think that is the case. What would happen if it went down to defeat?

My thinking is that this money was raised by friends of URI (alumni foundation, business, etc..). It likely would have gone directly to construction costs had it not been for this foolish process. This money has to be spent because it is no sure bet that this bond will pass. It is the first state election since the 38 Studios fiasco and voters trust RI politicians even less these days.
0 x