PASSED: Question 4, $125M bond for College of Engineering

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: PASSED: Question 4, $125M bond for College of Engineerin

Unread post by Running Ram »

Dumb-a-crap, Re-puke-lickin, Pee-Cee, I blame it on going to highschool in Pusmouth RI. TP, its how i was raised, lighten up and realize the levity is being infused because the reality of the political scene is very sad and its either laugh or cry. I choose laugh. You get it? and shame on me for not knowing you don't live in RI, that seems to make you opposite of voting yutz, one who is staying informed even outside of his own relm. Good for you, keep up the diligent quest for knowledge.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:The bond issues were about the only good news in RI last night.
Let the path to illegals becoming the newest voting block for
Gina and her buddies, begin.

Roughly 60% of the voters didn't want her in office. What does that tell you?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

She got the lowest vote total since 1930, except for
Governor Gump.
Neither she nor Fung expanded their base from the primaries.
Fung actually had less votes than Robitaille did in 2012.
I wish we had a runoff with only the top two being electable.
I'm afraid we're in for many non majority governors from here on.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:The thing about Reed that is remarkable is that he is probably the most successful politician in the country that is just about 100% substance. Almost all politicians are more sizzle than steak. If all of our elected officials were as serious, intelligent and honest as Senator Reed, regardless of their ideology, we would be in fantastic shape.
He's an all around great guy. I respect him. The other three dimwits from RI that "represent us" in Washington is a whole other story. It's about time there is some legislation for TERM LIMITS.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll give you a Jack Reed story. He was John Reed back then.
Anyway, we were on the bus to St. Matthew's and this big kid started picking on
Jack. The kid pushed him. Jack grabbed the bully's nose and twisted it really hard
and didn't let go.
End of the bully bothering him.
Jack is a tough little guy. Was Army middleweight boxing champion, as well as
an Army Ranger.
Classic overachiever and a great American story.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Ha! Good story Rod. A lot of people don't know he was an army ranger and paratrooper. Also a graduate of West Point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Plus, he graduated Harvard Law.
Before that, he got a Masters from Harvard and went on to
be an Associate Prof at West Point.
When he ran for State Senate in the early
80's, the guy he ran against was a RIJC grad.
Can you say "mismatch" on the education part of their resumes?
He turned Obama down in 2010 for the post of Secretary of Defense.
Pretty heady stuff for a guy who grew up in a tiny home on Pontiac Avenue.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I agree that Reed is totally respectable, also the only US senator/rep we've had in decades that is. In light of that fact I'm glad that he didn't need my vote and remains our senator. But I do favor term limits for all elected positions. Also a total overhaul of our campaign financing regulations.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If academic credentials are your thing, you can't do too much better than our new Governor. Harvard/Oxford/Yale Law. Not that that is or should be the deciding factor for anyone, just thought it was an ironic thing to bring up considering how I think you feel about her.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was comparing Reed to the guy he was running against in 1982,
as a mismatch.
I am aware of Gina's splendid academics. The subject wasn't Gina Raimondo.
The much maligned GW Bush also graduated Yale and Harvard Law
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know I wasn't calling you a hypocrite or anything. I get what you were saying. Reed has extraordinary academic credentials but his resume goes way beyond that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I worked very hard this election cycle for a few candidates......local and statewide......it has become a dirty, nasty, dollar driven endeavor which is quite different than the political world of say 20 years ago....and I've been around politics since the late 1960's....it leaves a bad taste in your mouth....

Jack Reed seems to be the exception, but he has to raise money also.....and money swears in politics....more so than ever....he is lucky he has had no real challengers to his post and can sit on a huge campaign war-chest.....if he ever were in a close race you would see him resort to the negative ads that are the norm in elections now...he would have to.....and he would have to take money from many sources....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The PACs that entered the RI governor's race were ones
nobody seemed to know much about.
I don't know how anyone can run for a higher office and keep their integrity
as pure as Caesar's wife.
Special interests coming out of the woodwork.
It used to be behind the scenes backroom politicians doing most of the influencing
of events.
Someone I thought was above the muck was running for Mayor of Providence, years ago.
He told me, "Well, if I wanted the party endorsement, I could sell my soul to____, but I won't"
He vanished from his own campaign for three days.
Viola! He had the endorsement in his pocket after that.
I guess he "sold his soul". While I understood why he did, I never felt the same
about him after that.
A very fine man, but that kind of took him down a level in the eyes of a few people,
at the time. I wasn't as jaded back then.
Oh, and even though he was a heavy favorite in that race, he lost on absentee ballots.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's a subject no one has talked about in a while:

Has anyone noticed there hasn't been a change to the Providence skyline in forever, or since the Westin was built? No new high rises, either apartment, hotels, or commercial buildings, or anything.

Even the old Industrial National bank building, still the tallest in the city, sits basically vacant.

What a great business climate. Not.

Look at Boston. Even Hartford, Stamford, others. New buildings, tall ones, going up all over the place.

Not Providence. Same old same old. Every time I drive by the city, it's like looking at a time warp from decades ago.

The land that time forgot.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they can't fill the buildings they have now, the superman build is empty
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is no tax base in the city anymore. Everything is non-profit, schools [J&W] etc.

No investment in infrastructure. When manufacturing left, nothing replaced it, except above.

Depressing. I say this because it relates to the politicians we're talking about in this thread.

The "leadership" in this state is pathetic.

Will it change? Doesn't look like it. Everywhere else in NE, they are passing us by.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:There is no tax base in the city anymore. Everything is non-profit, schools [J&W] etc.

No investment in infrastructure. When manufacturing left, nothing replaced it, except above.

Depressing. I say this because it relates to the politicians we're talking about in this thread.

The "leadership" in this state is pathetic.

Will it change? Doesn't look like it. Everywhere else in NE, they are passing us by.
It is also related to the title of this thread. Rhode Island needs to develop highly-skilled workers so businesses will set up shop here. Building an engineering building obviously isn't enough by itself - more has to be done to encourage start-ups to locate here and develop a culture of innovation and production. My personal experience is that I would love to live in Rhode Island. I love the state and I was born and raised there. But my job just straight-up does not exist in Rhode Island. The economy is not robust enough to support large professional services firms. Highly skilled people have to leave the state to find work, and that is a squandering of one of the state's best resources: its people.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah TP, the population of RI is aging faster than the national rate due to these factors.

Also the state is barely gaining population overall.

As I near retirement, I would like to move back to RI, to live nearer to family and to enjoy South County where I grew up. Living in CT. is just ridiculously expensive [even more than RI].

RI should be renamed the Tourist State, or at least SC and Newport anyway. It's all low paying service jobs now.

Like you said, if I was looking for a job that pays, RI isn't that place.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The only new buildings in Providence lately are the Blue Cross Building,
and some of those high rise condos nearby.
I remember Providence in the late 60's-early 70's.
It was a blighted dump. In summer, the river stunk, and you could smell it all over downtown.
Love him or hate him, Cianci changed all that, along with Joe Paolino.
They uncovered the river, which was actually the widest bridge in the world, since it was paved over.
They knocked down "The Chinese Wall", relocated the railroad to underground.
Providence Place Mall. The Westin (now Omni) The Vet's revival, the long abandoned Shriner's Temple,
now a hotel.
They made the city vibrant.
The only big mistake they made was turning Westminster Street into a no traffic street.
Since then, J&W has taken over so much of where the Outlet Company was and more.
It looks good, but it's not helping the tax base.
The neighborhoods have long been in decline. Buddy didn't do much for those,
concentrating on the part of the city that visitors saw.
Now, all of Providence seems in decline.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There have been no new buildings in Providence in the last few years for one reason - THE BAD ECONOMY. There was supposed to be a mixed use high rise (residential/hotel) next to the old Arcade. Buildings were torn down (now a parking lot) and a development office was opened across the street. Then the worst economic crisis since the great depression began about 7-8 years ago. Everything came to a standstill. New buildings don't get constructed because of politicians (even though some take full credit), they get built for business reasons (demand is there and the developer can make money). Given that RI still lags the region in growth, I would think things will continue to be slow.

When new construction does start in the coming years, don't look for it to be in the core downtown. The huge inventory of available land from the Route 195 relocation will be where the action is. It will sap all development activity for several years to come. There will be no high height buildings there to add to the skyline.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

There's going to be a new building next to that open grassy spot at the corner of Exchange and Memorial Blvd. Gina is very much set on investing in these projects along with fixing roads and bridges--something RI desperately needs. When my colleague and I asked her where the money is coming from to do this, she looked at as and said with tons of confidence that "there is plenty of money." I believe the money is certainly there to do this work its just being spent like a drunken sailor right now at the state house. I think this is the culture she wants to fix. Hey, she's proven that she can get things done with the general assembly on pension reform, lets see what she can do as governor now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ram1019 wrote:There's going to be a new building next to that open grassy spot at the corner of Exchange and Memorial Blvd. Gina is very much set on investing in these projects along with fixing roads and bridges--something RI desperately needs. When my colleague and I asked her where the money is coming from to do this, she looked at as and said with tons of confidence that "there is plenty of money." I believe the money is certainly there to do this work its just being spent like a drunken sailor right now at the state house. I think this is the culture she wants to fix. Hey, she's proven that she can get things done with the general assembly on pension reform, lets see what she can do as governor now.

The development rights to that lot were recently transferred. The new entitity wants to build a hotel there and is supposedly trying to line up financing. Given the old developer had the same plan and couldn't find the money, I think new new rights owner will face the same obstacles.

The two lots that, in my opinion, likely get developed next in the core downtown area are the old Fogarty Building (across from the RICC) and the old police/fire station. There is currently a plan to build a hotel at the Fogarty site and I think it will get done given its prime location.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I hope you're right.
I also hope she doesn't spend her political capital on social engineering like
Missing Linc did. (Gay marriage will mean millions of dollars for RI"??????)
She doesn't exactly have a mandate.
My question is, with so much vacant office space all over RI, why build anything new?
Why not retrofit the Superman building, instead of a new high rise?
Go down Route 1 after EG, in North Kingstown. It's empty former businesses
all up and down the road.
I've seen restaurants open and close in the blink of an eye. Other businesses, here today,
gone tomorrow.
People who put all their money into starting up, with no reserves to sustain the period of
time it takes to become established.
Many broken dreams here in Rhode Island.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Idiot writes in about bond question results-targets URI

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess its not just Foster. This is why RI is like it is. This clown (who wrotes in the paper all the time) questions voter approval of the bonds on election night. Fair enough. An argument could be made about adding that much debt. He however then singles out just one bond question. It wasn't the one for the arts and culture. It was the educational bond to build a new engineering building at URI.

Per Mr. Mark Poirier

How many of those so quick to approve are University of Rhode Island students who are currently residents of Rhode Island, but who will eventually leave the state with new diploma in hand, for employment in other more lucrative states? How many of them actually considered the impact on the state once taxes are raised to generate the revenue for payments on those bonds?

Perhaps if there were good engineering jobs in the state (which a new facility might help spur), these students would stay. Most people don't leave RI because they want to. They move out of state because there are no good jobs here. Hopefully this new building at URI will educate more engineers and employers (bot already in RI or new) will add jobs.

People in RI just don't get it. Can't they see right over the border in MA that it is education and the associated skilled workforce that drives a good econiomy?

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... voters.ece
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I agree RF1. Producing local talent is a major factor in attracting business to the area. I can't think of anything bad about this investment whatsoever.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1, this is what I've been saying here, and specifically in my most recent post. The myopia of many Rhode Islanders is astounding. I hope that the overwhelming support for the URI bond is because people are starting to get it.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I drive around RI a lot for my job. It's incredible the amount of empty business space this state has. I'm talking tumbleweeds. I had a business meeting on Narragansett Park Drive in Pawtucket, which is right next to where there was a Building 19. The Building 19 sign is still there, the HUGE parking lot is all overgrown weeds, and the building looks like it would topple over if you stood close enough to it. Kind of reminded me of that show on the History Channel "Life After People".

You want to see REALLY bad? Central Falls. The majority of the businesses there are .99 Cent or Less stores and appliance repair shops (with stoves from the 1970s in the window). There's also an old Sylvania Lightbulb factory. I don't know why Gina Raimondo is so penchant on bringing "manufacturing jobs" to RI. With the cost of goods, there is no way a manufacturing facility in RI would be competitive when you factor in business costs, taxes, etc.. Unless we are talking biotech manufacturing/Silicon Valley type jobs. NOT Narragansett Bear for Christ's sake! Let's hope that with the completion of the new engineering building we can reach that level other parts of the country have.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

She beat the manufacturing job drum because that's what a lot of the unemployed people in this state are really trained for and experienced in. It doesn't matter if those jobs can come back or not when you're running for office the first time, you just have to tell people that you're the one that will bring those jobs back and hope like hell the economy improves enough in the next 4 years that you can run on that and not the failure of returning the manufacturing jobs you talked about the first time.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

She's been pretty vocal to some people, about wanting to
eventually wind up in Washington.
Maybe if Sheldon Outhouse leaves, she can do so.
Look at Ciccilini. He sucked as Mayor and is now, Congressman for life.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I tend to vote Republican for state offices and Democrat for national ones, but I can't bring myself to vote for Ciccilini. He did two things during his time in office, send Providence down the drain and get his brother's illegal parking tickets thrown out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Raimondo has her eyes on the presidency one day. Mark my words.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd rather see a steel cage match with her, Hillary, Fauxcohantas aka Granny Warren, and Moochele.
The Battle of The Scary Liberal Women.
People would pay money to watch that. Well, maybe not.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Taylor Swift wrote:I drive around RI a lot for my job. It's incredible the amount of empty business space this state has. I'm talking tumbleweeds. I had a business meeting on Narragansett Park Drive in Pawtucket, which is right next to where there was a Building 19. The Building 19 sign is still there, the HUGE parking lot is all overgrown weeds, and the building looks like it would topple over if you stood close enough to it. Kind of reminded me of that show on the History Channel "Life After People".
Building 19 closed last November as the entire chain went out of business. It is a surprise that the building that housed it for some 20+ years was even still standing. It had previously been the grandstand for the Old Narragansett Park Racetrack.

The vacant former Stop & Shop in the front of that industrial park remains open not for a lack of suitors. Walmart wanted to build a super store there but Stop & Shop does not want them to get a foothold in the area and would rather pay rent and not use the location.
Attachments
Building 19.GIF
Narragansett Park Grandstand.GIF
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Lots of weirdness with retailers.
When Walmart was built at the old Midland Mall,
it seemed a logical thing to have it opened into the Mall.
Lots of foot traffic, would have resulted in the mall's little shops
being given more business.
Seems the owners of the mall didn't want that, and subsequently, the mall closed.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we were comparing votes versus dollar spent, Bob Healy is cleary the winner. For 50K+ votes and 22% of the total, Bob spent a total of $35.31. think about that. Clay Pell spent over $3million to lose in the primary. Maybe the voters are starting to get smarter (a little)
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Please Rod, when you say things like Outhouse, it makes it so I can't even focus on the very serious matter of RI politics and stuff. :lol:
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, RR, how about Sheldon Shithouse?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Manufacturing jobs will never return to RI. Between the taxes, fees, regulations, payoffs, political favors, property taxes, "I know a guy" it will never happen. A $.02 bolt produced in Tennessee would cost over a dollar to produce here. I haven't heard republicans saying they will bring back manufacturing jobs to RI. Jobs yes, but not factory jobs. Unemployed Nellie who sews buttons on dolls is never getting a job in this state again.

Edit: you could probably correlate the decline in manufacturing in this state with the implementation of an income tax in RI. I believe the correlation is pretty relevant. I think the income tax was implemented in the 70's?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:Manufacturing jobs will never return to RI. Between the taxes, fees, regulations, payoffs, political favors, property taxes, "I know a guy" it will never happen. A $.02 bolt produced in Tennessee would cost over a dollar to produce here. I haven't heard republicans saying they will bring back manufacturing jobs to RI. Jobs yes, but not factory jobs. Unemployed Nellie who sews buttons on dolls is never getting a job in this state again.

Edit: you could probably correlate the decline in manufacturing in this state with the implementation of an income tax in RI. I believe the correlation is pretty relevant. I think the income tax was implemented in the 70's?
Are manufacturing jobs returning anywhere? The dominant trend of the last 50 years or so has been: 1) The development of product supply and transportation lines, which always makes overseas workers and labor cheaper to use than domestic for major corporations and 2) technology advances themselves making it possible for 1 worker to do what 5 workers did in the past.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
theblueram wrote:Manufacturing jobs will never return to RI. Between the taxes, fees, regulations, payoffs, political favors, property taxes, "I know a guy" it will never happen. A $.02 bolt produced in Tennessee would cost over a dollar to produce here. I haven't heard republicans saying they will bring back manufacturing jobs to RI. Jobs yes, but not factory jobs. Unemployed Nellie who sews buttons on dolls is never getting a job in this state again.

Are manufacturing jobs returning anywhere? The dominant trend of the last 50 years or so has been: 1) The development of product supply and transportation lines, which always makes overseas workers and labor cheaper to use than domestic for major corporations and 2) technology advances themselves making it possible for 1 worker to do what 5 workers did in the past.
Steve, exactly. So why do these democrat politicians keep highlighting they will bring these jobs back? And the better question is, why do the dolts of this state buy it?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:

Steve, exactly. So why do these democrat politicians keep highlighting they will bring these jobs back? And the better question is, why do the dolts of this state buy it?
I'd say it's just "politicians" in general; there just happen to be Democratic ones in RI instead of Republicans. And what's the alternative? "Yeah, manufacturing jobs are kind of gone forever, so you're all shit out of luck, I'm afraid."

Re: Voter turnout in general, I think it was somewhat down in general because Raimondo and Fung - the biggest race in a non-Presidential year - aren't really all that dissimilar. Raimondo skewed more conservative than a typical Democrat, and Fund struck me as a bit more moderate than the usual Republican candidate. I also suspect that's why Healy got so much of the vote.

Although RI does have a reputation of being a Democrat-controlled state, it's almost a three-party state in a weird way - The Republicans, the Progressive Dems and the Centrist Dems. While RI usually votes Dem, it isn't super liberal, at least compared to places like Oregon. And the Progressive Dems took it on the chin this election, especially in the south, where Walsh and Rumsey lost seats, and Charlestown pretty much went Republican (although they run as Independents).
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rod, I like Buddy's nickname for him, Weldon Shitehouse, it rolls right off the tongue.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhode Island is definitely dominated by the Democratic Party, but it is certainly not progressive in any way.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The Weldon name was coined by Jorge and Philippe not Cianci
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:The Weldon name was coined by Jorge and Philippe not Cianci
Either way...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I'll give you a Jack Reed story. He was John Reed back then.
Anyway, we were on the bus to St. Matthew's and this big kid started picking on
Jack. The kid pushed him. Jack grabbed the bully's nose and twisted it really hard
and didn't let go.
End of the bully bothering him.
Jack is a tough little guy. Was Army middleweight boxing champion, as well as
an Army Ranger.
Classic overachiever and a great American story.
Looks like there is a chance that Jack Reed will be the next Secretary of Defense after Chuck Hagel was asked to resign.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rodfromcranston wrote:Lots of weirdness with retailers.
When Walmart was built at the old Midland Mall,
it seemed a logical thing to have it opened into the Mall.
Lots of foot traffic, would have resulted in the mall's little shops
being given more business.
Seems the owners of the mall didn't want that, and subsequently, the mall closed.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!
It wasn't the mall that didn't want it. Both Walmart and Kohls were allowed in the mall with the agreement that they would have access to the mall. When both stores opened, the accesses were there but blocked off by the stores. Walmart used a delay in opening caused by construction delays as an excuse to permanently close the access. I'm not sure what happened at Kohls. The Mall wanted them, they did not want their precious shoppers wandering outside their buildings and potentially shopping elsewhere.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just foolish, whoever didn't want the access to the mall.
They killed the mall and lost potential customers who may have gone to the
mall for whatever store would have survived.
I guess they're reopening the mall with some different kinds
of retailers. I wish them well.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

They're going to reopen as an outlet style mall (think Wrentham Village, but indoors). I'm hoping they'd get some good retailers there, but knowing how our state government works that is up for debate. Not sure that anyone in the State House would want to see a successful business here.

I also think Warwick Mall is pretty useless other than Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, Old Navy, Target, and H&M.
0 x