Brainstorming about updating campus area

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They've dug up the corner of the Dairy Barn Lot that is across from Meade Stadium and the facilities complex. I have to assume that's the start of construction for the White Horn Brook Apartment Complex.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Need to move Maintenance support area, it is an eye sore, and put a new stadium across from the Ryan Center. Well, I can't dream can't I?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

South County Bike Trail

Another campus improvement will be the eventual connection to the nearby South County Bike Trail. The off road trail currently starts at the Kingston Train Station and ends at the elementary school on Mumford Road in Narragansett (near Sprague Field). The plan is to extend the trail one mile from Mumford Road through the Canochet Farm/South County Museum property with it terminating across the street from the Narragansett Town Beach. There are plans for a spur trail from campus to the area near the Curtis Corner Middle School by the athletic fields there.

I myself am not a fan of the proposed URI spur which will meet up several miles into the current South County Bike Trail. I bike this trail on occasion and one of the issues with it is its rather short mileage distance. I would therefore much rather the current trail be lengthened to URI with it following the Amtrak line from Kingston Station to the URI campus. That would add a few more miles and provide much needed additional parking. Parking is now an issue at Kingston Station as there are not many open spaces for bikers. The lots across from the Ryan Center would be ideal. Most of the biking season is in the warm weather months when the lots are not used to a great extent by the URI community. Furthermore, even in the months of the normal fall and spring semesters, most bikers would be using the trail on weekends when the lots are little used.

Trail Map Link
http://southcountybikepath.org/wp-conte ... 04/map.jpg
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Went to the Jane Goodall event at the Ryan Center last night. Fencing around the entire visitor's center area, some equipment on site and a sign on the fence said the new center will be open in August.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Went to the Jane Goodall event at the Ryan Center last night. Fencing around the entire visitor's center area, some equipment on site and a sign on the fence said the new center will be open in August.

Impressive turnout of some 4,300 for that event. Jane Goodall drew more to the Ryan Center last night than Rhody men's basketball did for seven games last season. I am glad to see that so many come out to hear such a distinguished speaker. The Ryan Center was not built just for athletic events and it is good to see it meeting its mission.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... man-spirit
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here's an article from the URI website that has a write up on the welcome center. includes an artist's rendering of what the new center will look like.

https://today.uri.edu/news/uri-begins-c ... me-center/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here is a broader update on all campus construction:

https://rhodycigar.com/2017/09/28/construction-update/

Also yesterday they had a meeting at URI about the URI addition to the South County Bike Path, but I haven't seen any news about that yet.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Here is a broader update on all campus construction:

Also yesterday they had a meeting at URI about the URI addition to the South County Bike Path, but I haven't seen any news about that yet.
A couple weeks ago, I actually saw a guy out there on the path with a surveying tool (between Ministerial Rd and the 1 mile marker). He said he was out there getting info on an addition that would go to URI. Good deal, looking forward to it. Path is awesome, saw a deer crossing it the other day and last winter saw a group of 8 or 9 crossing.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A few months ago there was also a request for proposals for a renivation of Memorial Union and the plaza/Landscape space around it. Haven’t heard much since though. Definitely needed.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, that original welcome center was an embarrassment.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

A couple weeks ago, I actually saw a guy out there on the path with a surveying tool (between Ministerial Rd and the 1 mile marker). He said he was out there getting info on an addition that would go to URI. Good deal, looking forward to it. Path is awesome, saw a deer crossing it the other day and last winter saw a group of 8 or 9 crossing.

I was on the path last Monday. Biked from the RR Station to the pier. Beautiful day with plenty of people sunning themselves at the town beach. Still not a fan of the separate spur proposal (see map below). A far shorter extension would be needed to just extend the path from the train station along the tracks to the lots across from the Ryan Center. Most bikers would much prefer an overall longer end to end trail than separate offshoot spurs.

Bike Trail Map:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I was on the path last Monday. Biked from the RR Station to the pier. Beautiful day with plenty of people sunning themselves at the town beach. Still not a fan of the separate spur proposal (see map below). A far shorter extension would be needed to just extend the path from the train station along the tracks to the lots across from the Ryan Center. Most bikers would much prefer an overall longer end to end trail than separate offshoot spurs.

Bike Trail Map:
Agree...or, go the extra mile(s) and close the loop
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My thought is they're doing the direct spur hoping students/faculty/staff will use the path to commute and ease congestion on the roadways around campus. Closing the loop would be a good idea eventually though.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:My thought is they're doing the direct spur hoping students/faculty/staff will use the path to commute and ease congestion on the roadways around campus. Closing the loop would be a good idea eventually though.
I want URI connected. I just don't like the separate spur approach as a biker. They could still connect the campus by extending the line along the tracks from Kingston Station to Plains road. It would lengthen the end to end distance of the trail which would give bikers more of a workout. At any rate, the Phase 4 extension from Mumford Road to the town beach is needed first.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

But again, you're thinking of this as a recreational biker, they're thinking of this as a commuting option. Someone from Narragansett or Wakefield is less likely to commute using their bike if they have to go all the way out to the train station just to loop back to campus. If your proposed route is feasible then I'm sure those two branches will eventually be connected which would give all bikers more path to use.

What is going on with phase four? I was under the impression that the funding and land were all set and construction was imminent.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here's an article from the Narragansett Times about the bike path meeting last week:

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 23040.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't see how a bike path connector has any significant impact on the greater parking struggles at URI, especially with another larger lot going offline to support a new dorm (and more permanent residents who will need 24/7 parking).
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Here's an article from the Narragansett Times about the bike path meeting last week:

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 23040.html

Seems like an aggressive plan to have the bike path extension to URI done by fall of 2018.

Bike path extension to URI part of broader transit push
The Independent
http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 2cb00.html
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Governor Raimondo submitted her budget today. It calls for $1 million in extra funding for URI and a November ballot question for $45 million to improve the Bay campus

http://ripr.org/post/raimondo-unveils-9 ... s#stream/0
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOVE the Bay Campus beach.....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Bay Campus needs it, a new master plan has been implemented. Great improvements to come.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Part of URI campus designated national historic district
The heart of the University of Rhode Island’s main campus in Kingston has been recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior’s National Park Service as a historic district. Approximately 29 acres on or around the Kingston quadrangle compose the University of Rhode Island Historic District. The Oliver Watson Farmhouse, circa 1796, is the oldest structure in the district. Among the other buildings included in the historic district are Taft Hall, 1889; Lippitt Hall, 1897; East Hall, 1909; Ranger Hall, 1914; Bliss, Edwards and Rodman halls, 1928; and the President’s House, 1931.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... c-district

Nice recognition but can sometimes be troublesome as it is harder to make any future changes to structures.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think that will still be a positive for us. You wouldn't want to make drastic changes to the vast majority of the buildings named but the designation could add pressure on the state to properly maintain them. I know we eventually wanted a bond to renovate the buildings around the quad, this designation could help with that effort
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I think that will still be a positive for us. You wouldn't want to make drastic changes to the vast majority of the buildings named but the designation could add pressure on the state to properly maintain them. I know we eventually wanted a bond to renovate the buildings around the quad, this designation could help with that effort
I think many of them are renovated.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To touch on some topics covered here that are mentioned in the newest capital budget:

"URI Facilities Services Sector Upgrade – The Governor recommends expenditures of $11.8 million from RIHEBC bonds to build new facilities for the URI Service Sector, comprised of Facilities Services, Capital Projects, Central Receiving, Postal Services, Lands and Grounds, and a vehicle servicing station. If authorized, projected disbursements of bond proceeds total $931,497 in FY 2021, $2.9 million in FY 2022, $3.9 million in FY 2023 and $4.0 million in the post-FY 2023 period.

URI Narragansett Bay Campus Renewal Phase I – The Governor recommends a $45.0 million GO Bond Referendum in November 2018 to finance the initial phase of renovations and/or replacements of various outmoded and inefficient buildings, laboratories, and infrastructure on the grounds of the URI Narragansett Bay Campus, home to the Graduate School of Oceanography (GSO) and the URI Ocean Engineering program. Improvements are also planned to the waterfront research vessel pier, along with a redesign of campus roadways and walkways to create a more communal, collaborative educational experience.

URI Ranger Hall Phase II – The Governor recommends expenditures of $3.5 million for the second phase of the Ranger Hall renovation project. This amount includes $1.75 million from university funds and $1.75 million of private funding. Built in 1913, Ranger Hall is a 45,000-square foot building located on the University’s Historic Quadrangle. Phase I of this project focused on exterior repairs, building infrastructure, handicap accessibility, and renovations to the first floor to accommodate a new, state-of-the-art space for the Harrington School of Communication and Media. Phase II involves the creation of new academic classroom space for the Harrington School and for general assignment by the University. Projected disbursements total $0.2 million in FY 2019, $1.0 million in FY 2020, and $2.3 million in FY 2021, with all privately-sourced financing programmed in FY 2021.

URI Upper College Road Multi-use Development – The Governor recommends $1.5 million from university funds for the planning and design of a mixed-use commercial development on the east side of Upper College Road. The project entails the leasing of University property to private entities that will build and manage various facilities best suited to create a retail and residential “Main Street” destination, potentially including a hotel, apartments, restaurants, and shops."

You can find the entire list of projects here:

http://www.omb.ri.gov/documents/Prior%2 ... Budget.pdf

We start on page 62 of the PDF/45 of the budget and go to pages 65/48
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Driving through campus last week, the welcome center is coming along nicely. There was recently a donation made to enhance the front plaza design at the welcome center, which I believe every alum will enjoy. The apartments behind Heathman hall are under construction. Hotel is in the works. Now we just need some Athletic facility enhancements.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Finally saw what Brookside is supposed to look like. If you click on the picture in the following website you can see an enlarged image

https://web.uri.edu/cpd/brookside-apartments/
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:URI Ranger Hall Phase II – The Governor recommends expenditures of $3.5 million for the second phase of the Ranger Hall renovation project. This amount includes $1.75 million from university funds and $1.75 million of private funding. Built in 1913, Ranger Hall is a 45,000-square foot building located on the University’s Historic Quadrangle. Phase I of this project focused on exterior repairs, building infrastructure, handicap accessibility, and renovations to the first floor to accommodate a new, state-of-the-art space for the Harrington School of Communication and Media. Phase II involves the creation of new academic classroom space for the Harrington School and for general assignment by the University. Projected disbursements total $0.2 million in FY 2019, $1.0 million in FY 2020, and $2.3 million in FY 2021, with all privately-sourced financing programmed in FY 2021.
Another generous gift from the Harringtons was announced yesterday. I assume part of the $3 million will be used for Phase II of the Ranger Hall renovation and it will also be used to expand programming.

http://www.wpri.com/community/education ... 1225346417
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good to see renovations to Ranger, one of the buildings facing the quad. Only real blemish on the quad remains the ugly Carlotti Administration Building. It doesn't belong there when compared to the other quad structures built of RI granite.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Finally saw what Brookside is supposed to look like. If you click on the picture in the following website you can see an enlarged image

https://web.uri.edu/cpd/brookside-apartments/

A nice side feature of this project will be cleanup of this area and addition of paths and bridges along the brook which will provide better access to the athletics area from Garrahy and Wiley.
Screenshot_2018-12-19 Microsoft PowerPoint - Parking at URI Spring 18 Action AR_NEW Final [Compatibility Mode] - Brookside-[...].png
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI working to salvage former home of Scholar-Athlete Hall of Fame

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... ll-of-fame
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:URI working to salvage former home of Scholar-Athlete Hall of Fame

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... ll-of-fame
Drive by that place almost every day...seems like such a waste/misuse of what looks like a pretty decent building...
Hopefully, something functional can happen with it...soon.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Drove around this weekend. The welcome center is coming along nicely, and a big change to the parking lot across from Meade, as the new apartment buildings are well underway.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The ribbon cutting for the welcome center will be September 26th
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Was there today, there's going to be a nice little addition in the front plaza.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Was there today, there's going to be a nice little addition in the front plaza.
Very nice!

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Now we just need one at 1 Lincoln Almond Plaza!
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I also want to point out that the former ram logo was used as a window graphic as seen in the background.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Very nice, it looks great.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

First impressions are always important. Vast improvement over what it was before.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Looks great, but did anyone else notice the old ram logo instead of the interlocking bi-color RI? Are we going back?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We've discussed the issues with the Emporium here, and it's now costing them a business. Bagelz is closing their Kingston location around the end of this semester primarily due to the condition and look of the Emporium. They also site the heavy-handedness of the towing policy and staffing issues, but state they'd be open to bringing the business back if the Emporium were improved.

http://rhodycigar.com/2018/11/15/bagelz ... baked-out/

Seems like they'd be a business to target if the University mixed use development on Upper College Road ever comes to fruition.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago We've discussed the issues with the Emporium here, and it's now costing them a business. Bagelz is closing their Kingston location around the end of this semester primarily due to the condition and look of the Emporium. They also site the heavy-handedness of the towing policy and staffing issues, but state they'd be open to bringing the business back if the Emporium were improved.

Seems like they'd be a business to target if the University mixed use development on Upper College Road ever comes to fruition.
That's a bummer about Bagelz - Always liked it. I usually hole up at Brewed on Sundays when I'm in the area, because they're the only coffee shop that has a bunch of TVs and thus football on, but they've had a weird dip in quality and bizarro, ever-changing hours that now make me likelier to just go to Java Madness. Haven't checked out the new place on Main Street.

The Emporium should be a cash cow for those landlords, but it seems like they're more in the "Eh, it's good enough, and people have limited options" mindset. If they're not going to upgrade any of those buildings, which looked shabby when I was around in the early 2000s, I'm fine with the university providing suitable alternatives.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago We've discussed the issues with the Emporium here, and it's now costing them a business. Bagelz is closing their Kingston location around the end of this semester primarily due to the condition and look of the Emporium. They also site the heavy-handedness of the towing policy and staffing issues, but state they'd be open to bringing the business back if the Emporium were improved.

That's a bummer about Bagelz - Always liked it. I usually hole up at Brewed on Sundays when I'm in the area, because they're the only coffee shop that has a bunch of TVs and thus football on, but they've had a weird dip in quality and bizarro, ever-changing hours that now make me likelier to just go to Java Madness. Haven't checked out the new place on Main Street.

The Emporium should be a cash cow for those landlords, but it seems like they're more in the "Eh, it's good enough, and people have limited options" mindset. If they're not going to upgrade any of those buildings, which looked shabby when I was around in the early 2000s, I'm fine with the university providing suitable alternatives.

As sad as it is to hear, I do not blame the owner of Bagelz one bit for deciding to not renew their lease. Bagelz is a staple of the Emporium, and when I lived down the line that's where I'd go get a coffee every day before class. I cannot remember, but I'm assuming the owner of the Emporium gets some cut of the towing fees? If so, between that and the rent, I have no idea how they can't go hire a painter to redo the paint on these buildings. It's extremely unfortunate with how dumpy it looks. Another thing I noticed is that the convenience store that used to be Cumbies has about 1,000 signs out front. All they need is some light up inflatable at this rate to complete their motif. Looks so trashy and doesn't help the area at all.

Just as long as Albie's never leaves.

Java Madness is a complete waste. It's dirty in there and now they have added a 4% surcharge for using a debit card. It's by no means a "huge" increase (the 4%), but shows a lag in customer service since a huge portion of their customers are tourists and students who are using debit cards. Their live music selections are also not anything I'd want to sit an listen to, but at least the view on the deck is great when it's nice out. Brewed on the other hand you can at least get a good iced coffee and get work done.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Let someone put a package store in there, with the understanding that, part of their profits will be put towards the reno/upkeep of the area.
Fair or legal? probly not. But, such an establishment would likely be able to fund a lot of things...new stadium, parking garages, raises for all of us....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The state could absolutely do something like that if they wanted to, they were going to do something like that in Pawtucket for a new stadium. Have all state taxes collected on campus and in the Emporium dedicated to capital projects the University deems necessary.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago As sad as it is to hear, I do not blame the owner of Bagelz one bit for deciding to not renew their lease. Bagelz is a staple of the Emporium, and when I lived down the line that's where I'd go get a coffee every day before class. I cannot remember, but I'm assuming the owner of the Emporium gets some cut of the towing fees? If so, between that and the rent, I have no idea how they can't go hire a painter to redo the paint on these buildings. It's extremely unfortunate with how dumpy it looks. Another thing I noticed is that the convenience store that used to be Cumbies has about 1,000 signs out front. All they need is some light up inflatable at this rate to complete their motif. Looks so trashy and doesn't help the area at all.

Java Madness is a complete waste. It's dirty in there and now they have added a 4% surcharge for using a debit card. It's by no means a "huge" increase (the 4%), but shows a lag in customer service since a huge portion of their customers are tourists and students who are using debit cards. Their live music selections are also not anything I'd want to sit an listen to, but at least the view on the deck is great when it's nice out. Brewed on the other hand you can at least get a good iced coffee and get work done.
Definitely get the complaints about Java Madness, that's part of its charm to me, haha. Like they just leave the doors open in the summer, and that plus allowing animals, its just always kind of dirty. The surcharge thing is annoying, but I do like that most of the times I go there, I can see the owner there working, and it does feel more like a 'local' hole in the wall coffee place as a result.

The Emporium, unless it is just awfully managed, has to be turning a profit still. According to property records, its assessed at $6.1M and owned by MARLEY PROPERTIES KINGSTON LLC. of Waltham since 2004. Bought for $5.4M at that time, so maybe they have some debt service issues. The tax rate in SK is $15.09 per $1,000, for a tax bill of around $90,000 a year. I would speculate that the fact that the owner isn't local, and probably has little connection to URI, means they don't feel much pressure to update the properties, or to keep the rent a bit lower than market to keep the stores filled. (My gut is that that applies to pretty much all of the RI coast right now though - Whether we're talking commercial real estate or rentals, it seems the mindset is that it is better to charge as much as possible per month, and who cares if the place is empty or they leave abruptly, vs. something a bit below market, but you get a good, stable tenant.)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago As sad as it is to hear, I do not blame the owner of Bagelz one bit for deciding to not renew their lease. Bagelz is a staple of the Emporium, and when I lived down the line that's where I'd go get a coffee every day before class. I cannot remember, but I'm assuming the owner of the Emporium gets some cut of the towing fees? If so, between that and the rent, I have no idea how they can't go hire a painter to redo the paint on these buildings. It's extremely unfortunate with how dumpy it looks. Another thing I noticed is that the convenience store that used to be Cumbies has about 1,000 signs out front. All they need is some light up inflatable at this rate to complete their motif. Looks so trashy and doesn't help the area at all.

Definitely get the complaints about Java Madness, that's part of its charm to me, haha. Like they just leave the doors open in the summer, and that plus allowing animals, its just always kind of dirty. The surcharge thing is annoying, but I do like that most of the times I go there, I can see the owner there working, and it does feel more like a 'local' hole in the wall coffee place as a result.

The Emporium, unless it is just awfully managed, has to be turning a profit still. According to property records, its assessed at $6.1M and owned by MARLEY PROPERTIES KINGSTON LLC. of Waltham since 2004. Bought for $5.4M at that time, so maybe they have some debt service issues. The tax rate in SK is $15.09 per $1,000, for a tax bill of around $90,000 a year. I would speculate that the fact that the owner isn't local, and probably has little connection to URI, means they don't feel much pressure to update the properties, or to keep the rent a bit lower than market to keep the stores filled. (My gut is that that applies to pretty much all of the RI coast right now though - Whether we're talking commercial real estate or rentals, it seems the mindset is that it is better to charge as much as possible per month, and who cares if the place is empty or they leave abruptly, vs. something a bit below market, but you get a good, stable tenant.)
Totally agree with this bolded part. I was about halfway through your response and ready to reply with exactly what you said here at the end. Feels like thats basically been the business model of the area for quite a while now.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018