Good Music in the post 'Electric Guitar Era'

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Good Music in the post 'Electric Guitar Era'

Unread post by Running Ram »

Of course, like many others I find pop music to be lacking in this current era, but good music is still released all the time, all one has to do is tool around YouTube for a bit and good new music will be found...of all genre...

Everyday I'll be ready for the million day funeral...
I suggest this haunting song as one of the greats of the current decade.

I'd love to hear what others consider decent music from our current time period...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Good Music in the post 'Electric Guitar Era'

Try this band out...

I know this is a cover obviously but the arrangement is as great a work of art as the song itself!!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

My favorite current band....Derek is leaving the Allman Brothers to devote his full attention to this band along with his wife, Susan. I've always liked Susan too since she started out, being somewhat local from the Boston area. I look forward the future of this band.
Last edited by Billyboy78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

...or an acoustic song...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Love Band of Horses. The wife and I really wanted to use one of their songs for our wedding song, but couldn't find the right mood from a lyrics perspective. One of our go-to Pandora stations.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Picking just one from these guys was nearly impossible...

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rod I love that you like The Kills. I was just listening to a live album of theirs as I did some work today.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Adam, I just haven't figured out what,"You can fuck like a broken sail",
means.
Interesting US-Brit hybrid.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Adam, I just haven't figured out what,"You can fuck like a broken sail",
means.
Interesting US-Brit hybrid.
Haha yeah they've got me on that one to, I have no idea.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yeah Band of Horses is high quality. And the Kills is a fine example of good current music.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

A broken sail flaps and flails, sometimes with a fever, but it doesn't get you anywhere. I think that is the sentiment, at least that's what I get out of it. BTW, the explanation "A broken sail flaps and flails, sometimes with a fever, but it doesn't get you anywhere." could be a killer lyric if I do say so myself. I hereby claim it as original material.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha I totally thought that was some lyric from somewhere as I first started reading it, so I buy it.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I'm diggin this, I would have no inkling about the Virgins or the National, instead I'm tooling around youtube enjoying both.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Gary Clark Jr. if you like blues or just good guitarists...Saw him at Crossroads festival in 2010 and open for Kings of Leon in Boston this year...Kings of Leon is another one of my favorite modern bands if you dig deeper than Sex on Fire and the 2 other songs the radio plays
0 x
Clapton is God
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Another vouching for Gary Clark Jr's live performance. Saw him do a set (hour+?) at the Roots Annual Picnic two years ago. Really good.
0 x
Go Rhody!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm glad somebody else brought up Gary Clark Jr., I was going to do the same! Highly recommend checking him out.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:I'm diggin this, I would have no inkling about the Virgins or the National, instead I'm tooling around youtube enjoying both.
Glad you are digging The National! They are one of my favorites at the moment.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

For some reason I can never figure out how to consistently add Youtube videos on here. My favorite band of the last 3 years or so has been Gaslight Anthem. If relevant modern rock stations existed anymore I believe their song 45 would have been as big in the summer of 2012 as Sex on Fire was in 2008, though it did receive modest airplay. They have a show in Boston with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones on the 21st and finished up a new CD in the last month or so. Good straight ahead rock band with some punk leanings especially in their earlier stuff. And if you find you like their stuff, the lead singer has a side project The Horrible Crowes which is really good too, but much slower and darker. Sugar is my favorite song by the Horrible Crowes if you're looking for a place to start with them.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wasn't familiar with The Horrible Crowes, checked out Sugar and really like it. Thanks for the info!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I like it too.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Gaslight Anthem will be coming to Lupo's on Friday 2/27. I wasn't a huge fan of their CD that came out at the end of the summer, but found the songs actually translated to their live show pretty well if that makes any sense.

Also coming to Lupo's on the night after Christmas is Badfish. They're a Sublime cover band and there was recently an article about them in Quadangles because two of their members are URI graduates. http://web.uri.edu/quadangles/punk-daddies/

It's uncanny how much they sound like Sublime. I might hit the show at Lupo's, but I normally wait until the nicer weather to see them at Ocean Mist.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Badfish @ the Ocean Mist is always a great show...I am not positive if this is true but it might be, I heard that Badfish is the highest grossing cover band in country
0 x
Clapton is God
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

gorhody89 wrote:Badfish @ the Ocean Mist is always a great show...I am not positive if this is true but it might be, I heard that Badfish is the highest grossing cover band in country

You're probably right. People love Sublime. Dirty Heads (reincarnation of Sublime) stunk so why not listen to the cover band who gets it right.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just received three cd's I bought that I lost long ago. Fugazi Repeater, Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Kill Taker. I am now happy!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem) put out a really good solo album in March if you haven't checked that out yet.

If you ever get a chance to see Pearl Jam, you have to do it. I had seen them before and had some bootlegs, so I knew they put on a great show, but they might be at their all time best right now. 3 hour show at Fenway, sounded great and a ton of energy.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:If you ever get a chance to see Pearl Jam, you have to do it. I had seen them before and had some bootlegs, so I knew they put on a great show, but they might be at their all time best right now. 3 hour show at Fenway, sounded great and a ton of energy.
Agreed a million times over.

Of the top 50 concerts I have seen, they have 30 of them in that list.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33