R.I. students bearing brunt of aid cuts at URI

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: R.I. students bearing brunt of aid cuts at URI

Unread post by RF1 »

The bottom line is that increasing out of state tuition would net diminishing returns. Out of state higher rates are a big part of URI's budget and have helped offset the decline in aid from the state. If the out of state tuition went up any more, it would result in less out of state students and less money. URI was already starting to get too expensive to attract out of state students. Losing their tuition revenue would be a major budget disaster for the school.

The increased in state tuition increases actually sort of make some sense. It is merely making up what the state has been reducing in aid. Either way, the money is coming from RI, just in a different manner.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

At this point, I never see a return to the world where the State of RI contributes a higher % of the overall operating budget of the University. All we can hope for is for current low levels to stay where they are and not drop further.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sad state of affairs. Pun somewhat intended.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Great how that article points out how the state has to dedicate more funds to "corrections costs". I'm not sure of the exact dollar figure, but I believe it's ~$40k+ a year per inmate at the ACI. Free healthcare, free education, etc.. for criminals. I could go on a huge rant, but I'm not.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Taylor Swift wrote:Great how that article points out how the state has to dedicate more funds to "corrections costs". I'm not sure of the exact dollar figure, but I believe it's ~$40k+ a year per inmate at the ACI. Free healthcare, free education, etc.. for criminals. I could go on a huge rant, but I'm not.
This is way OT, but oh well. Mods, feel free to move it if need be.

Anyway, I'm torn on this issue. Part of me thinks that criminals are criminals, and don't deserve free anything. The other half says that if prison is really about rehabilitation (which is the goal, correct?), then removing some of the education and other factors hinders that rehabilitation. I don't need a huge rant, just explain your thoughts a bit, if you don't mind.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Well..... rehabilitation doesn't always happen. A vast majority of the prison population are repeat offenders. Some of these people just don't have the mental ability to act as a functioning law abiding member of society (molesters, serial killers). Education doesn't necessarily equate to the treatment of mental illness. Kind of a revolving door for some of these people. There are also people behind bars for petty offenses as well. So, I would say that's more of the population who is "rehabbed".

My whole point is the fact that I'd rather see more of my tax dollars subsidize a public learning institution (URI) than the ACI. Our GA just really sucks as a whole.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Andrew wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:Great how that article points out how the state has to dedicate more funds to "corrections costs". I'm not sure of the exact dollar figure, but I believe it's ~$40k+ a year per inmate at the ACI. Free healthcare, free education, etc.. for criminals. I could go on a huge rant, but I'm not.
This is way OT, but oh well. Mods, feel free to move it if need be.
This is the Ram's Den. Have at it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Maine has kept in state tuition flat for a couple of years which has now resulted in a large deficit that has to be spread over the seven campuses plus the community colleges. Too many locations for a population of 1.3 million. No political will to reduce. Thus death by a thousand cuts.

Our major budget problem is 26% of our population on Medicaid and but for a veto by the governor adding another 70,000 people. We're basically a third world country thirty miles inland from the coast and east of Bangor. Unlike RI we don't have a great deal of corruption up here - just an abundence of stupidity. However, nice place to live if you can make a decent living and like the outdoors.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

"As governor, Fung said he would also handle the University of Rhode Island as RIi’s flagship institution. As a result he plans to give the President his own board in order to help the University establish its own endowment. Fung said this could eventually lead to URI not relying on state funding."

Well some people called it
0 x
Give me football or give me death
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Prisons are only places to "rehabilitate" because that is what some people think work in the US. A lot of other countries use prisons for deterrence (i.e. I won't commit the crime because I never want to go there). Unfortunately neither system works for every person. I think 1st time you go to a rehab prison. 2nd time you do hard time.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This can be fixed. Just transfer all the inmates to URI. Then, we'd get that $40K/ year payment. No?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Articles like this probably help support keeping out of state rates down:

Out-of-state students look to transfer
N.H., Vt. rank high among states in which students finish degrees elsewhere to save on tuition costs
By HOLLY RAMER ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Why does RI College get 30% of its operating budget from the state and URI 8%? I would think the main factor is that URI has 40% Out of state students, and URI can muddle along with less state support. If you take the state income tax that is paid by URI employees ( I guess about $20 million a year, but it is a guess), deduct that from the state contribution, I think State of RI support to URI would be closer to $40 million a year, or maybe close to 5% net contributions to the Operating budget, almost a blimp on the radar screen of what the state spends.
0 x