Winter Olympics

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Winter Olympics

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Got to love the Winter Olympics this year. The opening ceremonies are after the games have already started. Maybe the NFL will follow and play the National Anthem at halftime.
Sounds like they really picked the right location, too. I'll bet someone made a few bucks on this selection.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Re: Winter Olympics

Unread post by URI96 »

Every Olympics has events before the opening ceremonies
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep, usually the preliminary rounds in Soccer are before the opening ceremonies as well as other qualifying events for track and field.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Is it just me? I have literally zero interest in the Olympics this year.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Asshole Russians are mass killing stray dogs in Sochi.
One found it's way onto the field during opening ceremonies.
Bet it's already dead.
Has anyone seen the primitive facilities there? Disgraceful.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I have a hard time getting into Olympics with the time difference. I love Olympic hockey but most of the games are early morning. Fortunately I think 2 or the 3 games for the US are next weekend (Saturday and Sunday) both at 7:30, so at least manageable. I find myself a lot more into the Olympics when the time difference is not a major factor and you don't have to deal with the manipulation of events by NBC.

I'm trying to DVR everything this year on NBC so I can just fastforward through the junk and commercials every 5 minutes, although hearing Bob Costas say "Pussy Riot" over and over again last night was awesome.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

They cant even put the toilet paper in the toilet. Gorham has better rooms than those hotels.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You got the right idea RJ. I also just DVR the whole thing and can get through the 4-5 hours of coverage in like 2 hours or less with fast forwarding past the commercials and events I don't care about.

Summer is a little better than winter in my opinion, but I can't help it, I'm still a sucker for the Olympics every time.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

nbcolympics.com has quite the wealth of video on demand where you can avoid watching on your local NBC affiliate, even if a little after the fact. Everything on NBC is tape delay anyways.

It's funny, 3 or 4 Olympic Games ago, there was this big outcry about tape delay. Now, people accept it despite the fact that news of results instantly disperse through the social media cloud. I find that a little ironic.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I stand corrected about the early events. I didn't know that.
But, isn't it nice to have a thread that doesn't involve our team and lack of recruiting?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody4012016 wrote:They cant even put the toilet paper in the toilet. Gorham has better rooms than those hotels.
That is common in many countries - throughout Latin America.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

adam914 wrote:You got
Summer is a little better than winter in my opinion, but I can't help it, I'm still a sucker for the Olympics every time.

Agree. I think part of that is because a) Winter Olympics has less sports b) There are a lot of novelty items in the winter olympics. I can watch luge, bobsled, curling, alpine skiing, ski jumping, etc. in short blasts, but they get boring to me over long stretches of time.

I can only seriously watch hockey, speed skating, and maybe figure skating if there is an American rooting interest. Translate that to summer, where I could watch basketball, swimming, gymnastics (like figure skating with the rooting interest), short track running events, soccer, tennis, handball, volleyball (but moreso beach), water polo, and table tennis.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I agree RJ, i think thats definitely the case.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018