Honest opinion

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Honest opinion

Unread post by seanmc94 »

A few years back; the URI president publicly skewered PC for negative cheering and making propaganda sheets. Claiming poor sportsmanship. Many here backed him.

Care to comment on the rampant "PC sucks" chants and this?
Attachments
image.jpg
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Smokinjimit
ARD

Re: Honest opinion

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I'm hoping this post will finally get you removed from our board.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol, where is that from? Was that in the program?
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

That sounds like something Carothers would say along with nobody under 21 should have a beer...This is a rivalry game both schools are going to be negative and nasty that is just the way it is.....I was personally hoping the students would bring back the "F*ck the Friars" chant.
0 x
Clapton is God
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, my face is steaming.

That's just so wrong, but so funny, at the same time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey, it was sponsored by Dunkin Donuts!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I just rifled through the program my wife brought home. It wasn't in there, at least I didn't see it. It must have been something they were passing out to the students.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Coach Cooley May bowl with bumpers; but he's 3-0 vs URI and owns DH.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Smokinjimit wrote:I'm hoping this post will finally get you removed from our board.
On what grounds should this post be cause for removal.

@jcru, yes they were given to students. Just like PC did. When will the URI president be publicly apologizing?

If you guys haven't picked up on it; I'm kidding. This it what rivalry games are about. I just find it ironic that uri cried about this a few years back and now resorts to it.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

seanmc94 wrote:Coach Cooley May bowl with bumpers

lol you had to atleast chuckle at that line....I also wouldnt say he owns DH, its only been 2 years since he took over a program with nothing...
0 x
Clapton is God
Smokinjimit
ARD

Can we finally get this piece of shit off our board? I don't care what anyone says or writes about PC.
I certainly am tired of this ass clown coming on our board and defending his friars. Beat it kid. Go play on your own block.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I actually will take Sean's side on this. I don't think that's appropriate. I thought the same thing during one of the other home games where this sheet poked fun at the other team. And should the school be encouraging students to be rude?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agreed, the water boy can go away. adds zero value here and this is a private community of URI fans, remind me why i have to scroll thru his whiny crap? superfly can stay in my book since he actually talks about basketball vs solely being the hall monitor for PC.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This kind of stuff happens with every good student section in the country. Either you want the good atmosphere or you don't. We can easily stop stuff like this and go back to 800 fans in the stands. Personally thats not what I want.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Smokinjimit wrote:Can we finally get this piece of shit off our board? I don't care what anyone says or writes about PC.
I certainly am tired of this ass clown coming on our board and defending his friars. Beat it kid. Go play on your own block.
Vulgar language can be grounds for a time out.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Iggy how long would you be on the PC board if you went on there and said another coach own their coach and team? My guess that would be the last post you made. Lets make a poll apple. Sean in or out?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:agreed, the water boy can go away. adds zero value here and this is a private community of URI fans, remind me why i have to scroll thru his whiny crap? superfly can stay in my book since he actually talks about basketball vs solely being the hall monitor for PC.
BAR,

Simple solution. Dint read it! I started a thread. You chose to scroll through it. It's my opinion. Don't enjoy sparring with me? Then don't. I hope you take the advice. I'm starting to feel sorry for you and your weak game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote: I'm starting to feel sorry for you and your weak game.
Says the guy who spends most of his time on an opposing teams message board. Special kind of weird and sad.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I love the rivalry. I hate this civility in sports bullshit. I hate that DH and Cooley's waddly, weak, pussified gastric lap band give up on diet and hard work so just staple your stomach shut ass shook hands.

Fortune's a scumbag throwing elbows a solid 3 seconds after the whistle. Thanks to the refs being up to their molars in ed cooley you had a game gift wrapped for you - and if it wasn't for our own ineptitudes we'd have beaten you by 10. No excuses on our end, we had the ball with 18 seconds and a chance to win. We didn't.

That being said I love hating your opponent. This is what sports is about.

Stop with the asking people to sit down. Stop asking people to tone it down. This is what anyone who's an actual fan should hope for. I want an environment where opposing fans are afraid to come into. I don't want when donors on our side aren't happy with the signs asking that they get taken down.

The more of this type of stuff and these types of games and crowds...the less the lame ass sit down fans will find themselves at home on their couch so the real fans can come into the building.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote: I'm starting to feel sorry for you and your weak game.
Says the guy who spends most of his time on an opposing teams message board. Special kind of weird and sad.
stole the words from my mouth

Game. Set. Match.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

sean, the comparison is so weak, but coming from the dunce like you, I am not surprised!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Tom gugliotta was ejected from courtside of a NC State game. People cheer and say things. Give me a break, its part of it. I agree whole heartedly with the guys that want a college basketball atmosphere and not idk Augusta National.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I vote Sean is in. He makes no bones about being a PC fan. Can be tiresome, but all of us can be. Adds to the conversation.
Hurley and Cooley went at it; i don't see how you can blame one side for that. It was in the heat of the moment; two very competitive guys.
The fact that the Dunkin Donuts ad was put on this without their consent has become an issue. Athletic dept. not happy. They don't want to do anything to piss of DD.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ha ha ha

If pc had a on campus arena with over 7k seats I'd be jealous too!

They don't and we do.

Enjoy the dump center.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We aren't going to ban Sean for being a PC fan. However, this thread is clearly trolling. Stuff like this is what rivalries are all about. I don't recall what Dr Bob said about it, but I'm sure it was as naive as most things he's said. And I don't get what Friar fans are whining about. Next year when we win in the Dink I won't give a great goddamn what those child molesters in training yell at us.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

seanmc94 wrote:A few years back; the URI president publicly skewered PC for negative cheering and making propaganda sheets. Claiming poor sportsmanship. Many here backed him.

Care to comment on the rampant "PC sucks" chants and this?
I can't comment on what the URI President publicly said a few years ago, as I didn't hear or remember it, but if it wasn't Dooley, then it's irrelevant since it wasn't the current president that said it.

That said, PC fans get mad at the "PC Sucks" and "Practically College" chants, but they are the first in line with the "Rhody sucks" and "You can't spell Urine without URI" chants, but that's ok?

Lots of double standards all around.

Whatever, it's a rivalry game (whether some PC fans want to admit it or not). I'm sure similar stuff happens between PC and UConn when they played, and the same stuff happened between UMass and URI when both were good at the same time. So what. No one got hurt.

That said, where did the flyer come from? I think it's hilarious and if it came from a Rhody opponent's student section, I would commend them on the creativity.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

URI vs U Conn back in the day was pretty unfriendly.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Folks here who want Sean banned need a thicker skin.....
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Incidentally, if the quote on the image of Cooley saying the game should be at the Dunk every year is true, I couldn't disagree more. It is and should always continue to be a true home and home. I know that quote was obviously taken from last year, but Cooley did say after the game last night that the game is great for the state of RI and didn't seem to say anything about where he thought the game should be played.

While I wasn't there, the atmosphere on tv sounded great and I hope to see more crowds like that. I love the Ryan Center and the new floor looked awesome on tv!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

TruePoint,

Not trolling at all. Asking a serious question. Many posters on this board cried foul at the actions a few years ago by PC. The schools president railed for and got a public apology from Fr Shanley. Do you think URI should apologize? I don't have a problem with it; just looking for fair treatment.

BTW, I'm not buying that you don't remember the specifics of the incident.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Interesting quote from Cooley about URI:
"And maybe most of all, he understands how it was here at URI that he got his start. He said Wednesday night that when he drove down to practice Wednesday, it all seemed sort of surreal, like some trip back through time, back to what, in so many ways, started him on this amazing basketball journey he’s now on.

“When I walked on that floor tonight, I had a smile in my heart,” said Cooley, “for what this place did for me and the great memories I have here. This always will be a very special place for me.”
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
steviep123
Sly Williams

seanmc94 wrote: BTW, I'm not buying that you don't remember the specifics of the incident.
If you are talking about my statement, I don't care whether you buy it or not it's the truth. Now that you mention Fr. Shanley apologizing, I vaguely remember something about it, but no details. Can you be more specific? Was it public PC officials making statements, or PC students?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Is your name True Point?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hahah its pretty funny. First time seeing it. Its nothing personal, just sports. But I dislike Fortune after last night.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ugh. Enough. Sean, you were lucky this thread was allowed to exist as long as it did.

We are much more forgiving than on your board. Hope you enjoyed this thread while it lasted.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund