Old Friends and Coaches

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Old Friends and Coaches

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We all have a soft spot in our hearts for Clammy Sr. I think he would be very welcome here as things are not as hostile as they were when Baron was around.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Son of Clamcake
Jim Eitner

Re: Game #10: Providence College - Thur Dec 5 @ 8:00pm ET

Unread post by Son of Clamcake »

Thank you ATP,
Dad always enjoyed your thoughtful postings.. GO RHODY!!..Beat pc!!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Clamcake!

We didn't run him off. We were just b busting him a little bit. His demand for TOH (Top One Hundred) recruits that Duke and Kentucky were landing was entertaining. He kept us informed, even if we didn't have a pray of ever landing those guys.

Tell him we miss him. Clamcake lives! That's the best news of all. This one's for you, clamcake!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, now we DO have a prayer of landing top 100 recruits!

So, either way, feel free to come back, Clammy!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rambone 78 wrote:Well, now we DO have a prayer of landing top 100 recruits!
Actually, he wanted the elite, 5 star recruits, that only the top 10 teams in the country land. If it weren't for UConn being around here, none of them would ever even play in this region.

It was cool to learn about them, but the implication made was that we somehow didn't do enough to land them, and lost them. Which is a bit on the nutty side, but that's ok, no one ever blamed anyone for being nutty on this site.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't think Clamcake was driven off.
He was a fellow recruiting nut. He got stuck on Bamford, and Delroy's brother at
Duquesne.
People busted him a bit for that, but nothing vicious.
I wish he'd come back. I also wish Native would come back and do those in depth
up coming game previews.
Most of all, I'd like to know where Giovanni went. He was one of my favorites
here. I've asked this before and only got crickets.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

what about all the guys who CARED so much about the program they felt the need to make 100 anti baron posts a day, and then the minute he left they were never heard from again. what a joke.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was one of those anti-Baron posters.
I'm still here.
The only one I can think of offhand that disappeared is Gandy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, yeah there were a few anti-Baron and a couple that always defended him, that are long gone.

The true fans are still here.

Maybe they've migrated to the Canisius board, or will soon.

After Billy graduates, they'll have another field day.

Rod, I wasn't yet on the projo board when Gandy got his rep as a bad boy. I thought he was hilarious at times. Loved his picture posting, especially the one from the movie "Jaws" billboard.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He was cool at the end, when he turned the corner and became "anti Baron". He could be vicious at the beginning. Everything was personal and nothing was off limits and the mods at Projo let him do whatever he wanted.

I'm not complaining, but if he was your "enemy" he would fight you every inch to the end of the earth, if he was your buddy he was cool and a riot and insightful. All a matter of perspective, I guess.

Rod knows who the most personal one was, though: Eastern8

Rod, I told you back then who I thought he was, if that was true he isn't around anymore. It was either him or one of his buddies, with the things he was saying, long before he attacked me and was attacking you.

What ever happened to ramblinrose, who seemed like a loyal decades old fan?

How about Tony?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another one who was anti-Baron was RhodeWarrior. Seemed like a good fan, but he's been gone since Baron left.

Seems like those who have come and gone with Baron, were only on the projo board to pursue an agenda, and not much else.

Makes you wonder, if things were to go sour with Hurley down the road, if they'll be back. Which, I want to make clear, has VERY LITTLE chance of happening.

This program is already miles ahead of where it was two years ago. There's no turning back, thankfully.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Tony moved to Arizona. He posted a few times and vanished.
He was a good one.
Rhode Warrior was a very well informed poster.
jcru, there was more than Eastern Hate. There suddenly was a bunch of posters
all appearing at the same time. One was from CT.
It seemed very orchestrated, and it was very personal and nasty.
When a certain person died, they seemed to vanish.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, I don't think the mods would appreciate me hijacking this thread and making it about Baron. That being said, Baron was saddled on us from day one. The people who are just loyal to the school, because they are alumni or whatever, but do not question no matter what, didn't mind that Baron had no accountability. They would be loyal no matter who was coach. But, we were screwed during the hiring of Baron by Ron Petro. He made it out that we were involved with a variety of decent to good coaching prospects, after we managed to get them to rid us of Jerry D with a year remaining on his contract, and he changed his mind.

That is the prerogative of an AD, sure, but anyone who knows him personally behind the scenes knows the spite that was involved here. Harrick was not his pick, the boosters arranged that up and over him. You already know the history of Petro and Skinner. Jerry D was hired using a search committee. Petro was fed up and wanted to pick his guy, which he made Baron. When his original three year contract was up, instead of signing him on for one (standard) or three years, he signed him to a ten year extension and then took off leaving us with no way of getting rid of him.

At that point, even the people who were willing to give Baron three or four years were like WTF?

Some would tell you it was really President Carothers behind it, but either way, one or both of them was, it doesn't change the story, and they both left us saddled with this guy.

There was always going to be trouble and unrest due to the Baron hiring, because of the way it was done and extended. People who came on here to basically protest it, some would say they were fighting the good fight, and their absence now indicates they are happy with the Hurley hiring and have no need to come on anymore. They are at peace.
Last edited by jcru 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote:what about all the guys who CARED so much about the program they felt the need to make 100 anti baron posts a day, and then the minute he left they were never heard from again. what a joke.
Check out the Canisius board. The same guy has moved over to their board to rip Baron. Must be something personal. Tom Behrens?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Baron von Stinkoften? Rooke?
There's a few of them, plus a bunch of people aligned with
the old coach.
Baron brought in 4 recruits and redshirted three!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Old Friends and Coaches

Looks like some thing just never change.
This from a Buffalo newspaper:
"Baron is typically weary of the media. That’s not a good thing or a bad thing, it’s just a thing. He’s old-school. He’s famous for “coach-speak,” which consists of the canned phrases all coaches have in their back pocket to answer questions. For example, our entire staff knew what his answer to the first question would be:

“They’re a good team,” Baron said. “A very good team.”

“They gotta do more,” he said. “We gotta continue to defend, rebound. We gotta get more balance. This is a long process, especially when you have 10 new players.”

But this is a school with below average fan support. Since students hardly show up anyway, it is plausible to think students will be deterred from showing up this weekend.

If any student does think that way, Baron doesn’t want him or her in the seats anyhow.

“You’re either with us or against us,” he said agitatedly."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Old Friends and Coaches

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good to see he's making nice with everyone up there. Buffalo is Bobby's world now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund