High School Memories

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

High School Memories

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

You better have won.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: PC/URI tickets going FAST

Unread post by twisted3829 »

we did, it was in 2006 (uri got blown out, EP beat undefeated Hendricken)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Go Hawks!
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

seanmc94 wrote:Go Hawks!
You are so "that guy."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Class of 90!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Go LaSalle Rams! Class of '98

Actually, I had to play my junior and senior years of varsity tennis on PCs courts. Still don't like the Friars.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

" We all sing praise to our school.
With loyal heart we remain,
oh how we love her our Alma Mater
Cranston High!"
Guess that was written before there was a West.
By the way, Dan's oldest goes to Hendricken.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

go townies!
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Mariners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Errr. Go Connolly Cougars!!!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Cranston East-1962 State Co-Champs (with Mt. Pleasant). We didn't recognize (some still don't) that there was a West. We didn't even put East on our championship jackets...Go Bolts!!!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Portsmouth Abbey Ravens
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My father played for Cranston High School and was on the state championship football teams in 1966 and 1967. They beat EP both years. In 1968, my father's senior year, he was the captain of the team, and they went undefeated up until the championship game, and EP came from behind and upset them.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He was one hell of a linebacker. One of the toughest guys I ever knew,
but with a heart of gold. Funny, too.
EP had a QB named Moniz, who went crazy in that '68 game.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Section104 wrote:Portsmouth Abbey Ravens
What year? 86 here
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nothing against you Hendricken and LaSalle grads, but I love when public schools beat them. My daughter is at Portsmouth High now so I go to all the games. They are playing Hendricken Tues. night in the semis. I'll be there rooting hard for Portsmouth.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:Go LaSalle Rams! Class of '98

Actually, I had to play my junior and senior years of varsity tennis on PCs courts. Still don't like the Friars.
La-la boys take bubble baths...doo dah doo dah! ;)
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I graduated Hendricken in 1991, my older brother in 1989, my younger brother in 1995. My older brother and I both played Football.

I actually received a full scholarship offer for Wrestling to Marquette, of all places. I had never heard of the school before, and I knew very little about it except that it was in Wisconsin, was Catholic, and was Div 1. It just came in the mail one day out of the blue, unsolicited. My parents were really excited, naturally, because they wouldn't have had to pay for my college education. I would have gotten my ass kicked up there for sure on that team. I filed that offer pretty quickly. I guess I'll always be a Rhode Islander. I couldn't picture myself moving over 1000 miles away, alone, and starting an entire new life like that. I give these student athletes a lot of credit.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote:I graduated Hendricken in 1991, my older brother in 1989, my younger brother in 1995. My older brother and I both played Football.

I actually received a full scholarship offer for Wrestling to Marquette, of all places. I had never heard of the school before, and I knew very little about it except that it was in Wisconsin, was Catholic, and was Div 1. It just came in the mail one day out of the blue, unsolicited. My parents were really excited, naturally, because they wouldn't have had to pay for my college education. I would have gotten my ass kicked up there for sure on that team. I filed that offer pretty quickly. I guess I'll always be a Rhode Islander. I couldn't picture myself moving over 1000 miles away, alone, and starting an entire new life like that. I give these student athletes a lot of credit.

My brother played on your father's Cranston team. Rod told me a while ago what a great player your dad was.
I played (gee I'm old) against Hendicken in their first scrimmage game. Our coach told us to take it easy on them because they were a new team. How times have changed.

Having coached wrestling at Toll Gate H/S in the 90's, I can honestly say that wrestling is BY FAR the toughest sport. I take my hat off to you.

Oh, if you had taken that scholarship, you'd be a Big East fan now.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rhodyrudder wrote:
What year? 86 here
2006...maybe we'll run into each other at a reunion? Didn't think there would be any other Abbey grads here.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Im in st leonards now. U know micheletti?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramfan85, almost everything I've learned about my father's playing days are from other people, like yourself and Rod, but more so people I've met in person. And from my mom. He didn't really talk about it, at least not to us, if he met up with guys he went to school with, he might have. From what I can surmise, he played much bigger than he was, had a very high pain tolerance. Played through all sorts of injuries, he had a sprained ankle taped by a trainer 3 times a day for almost 3 months to get through a season. Had broken ribs at one point, he tore his sternum wrestling for Trafficante his junior year.

I guess the story goes, my mother was the second youngest of 7 children. Her older brother was a member of the Gansett Avenue gang. When she came home one day and said she was going to some dance with my father, my uncle started flipping out. He told my grandfather, you can let her go to this thing with that guy, he's too dangerous, he's out of control he's like a wild man. At 14 years old, he was already stealing cars for joy rides and holding neighborhood parties and whatnot and all sorts of other illegal stuff that his older brother a Cranston cop would bail him out of. So, my grandfather said, I want to meet this James, and I'll decide for myself. So my father went to her house and spoke with him alone in his den, and when they emerged he said, ok, you can go with him to the dance. It was Stebbins that got a hold of him and talked him into playing football, and really changed the course of his life.

That's why, when I see all of these guys in the NFL, Ray Lewis and OJ Simpson and others, I think the NFL exists for a lot of reasons, but it probably keeps national crime much lower than it otherwise would be because it gives these guys some with very violent tendencies and aggression a much more healthy and productive medium to focus on.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

seanmc94 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Go LaSalle Rams! Class of '98

La-la boys take bubble baths...doo dah doo dah! ;)
Ironic coming from a PC grad, since my school sends a disproportionately high number of students down the street to Providence College.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

It was deff tough going to school with your biggest rival. My dad went to LaSalle; along with 4-5 uncles and 7-8 cousins. Holidays are interesting.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My dad sent us to Hendricken for a number of reasons. First, he was a business man out of Chestnut Hill, Mass, and my older brother and I sounded like Joe Pesci, we had such bad ethnic accents. So, he thought by sending us to school with a bunch of Irish Catholic kids, it would rub off on us, and he was right. By about a year in, the accent was completely gone.

There were other reasons as well. There were no drugs floating around that school. Those brothers wouldn't allow it. I really didn't know anyone who smoked when I attended there. Once, there was smoke in one of the bathrooms, and it was like a scandal. They were determined to hunt down the culprit. There were also no girls, obviously, to offer any kind of distraction.

My older brother hated it there his first year. He literally begged my father to let him go to Cranston West. Or anywhere for that matter. My dad had so many friends who were high school football coaches, Cranston East, Cranston West, Johnston, Toll Gate, NK, Rogers, you name it, they all used to tell him to send us to their school and we would start immediately and don't worry about not living in the town, they would take care of it. But, my dad refused to do it.

The real reason my older brother and I went to Hendricken, which didn't become apparent until later, was because of my younger brother, who is autistic. Hendricken was the only school who had the means and desire to take my brother and educate him like a normal student. And my parents had been researching that for years, Wheeler, Moses Brown, all of the outrageously expensive schools, they would have been willing to pay to give my brother the right education. That's why Jim and I had to stay at Hendricken. We obviously benefitted from it big time in the end.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote:My dad sent us to Hendricken for a number of reasons. First, he was a business man out of Chestnut Hill, Mass, and my older brother and I sounded like Joe Pesci, we had such bad ethnic accents. So, he thought by sending us to school with a bunch of Irish Catholic kids, it would rub off on us, and he was right. By about a year in, the accent was completely gone.

There were other reasons as well. There were no drugs floating around that school. Those brothers wouldn't allow it. I really didn't know anyone who smoked when I attended there. Once, there was smoke in one of the bathrooms, and it was like a scandal. They were determined to hunt down the culprit. There were also no girls, obviously, to offer any kind of distraction.

My older brother hated it there his first year. He literally begged my father to let him go to Cranston West. Or anywhere for that matter. My dad had so many friends who were high school football coaches, Cranston East, Cranston West, Johnston, Toll Gate, NK, Rogers, you name it, they all used to tell him to send us to their school and we would start immediately and don't worry about not living in the town, they would take care of it. But, my dad refused to do it.

The real reason my older brother and I went to Hendricken, which didn't become apparent until later, was because of my younger brother, who is autistic. Hendricken was the only school who had the means and desire to take my brother and educate him like a normal student. And my parents had been researching that for years, Wheeler, Moses Brown, all of the outrageously expensive schools, they would have been willing to pay to give my brother the right education. That's why Jim and I had to stay at Hendricken. We obviously benefitted from it big time in the end.

Well said.
It's interesting. Yesterday a bunch of us got way off track from the thread title. I think the mods let it go because first, it was fun looking back at the high school years and second, it was a whole day where there wasn't any bickering on this board. I loved it.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RoadyJay wrote:Mariners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn straight! Go Mariners!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Just another reason to not like Sean. Pawk the hawk ATP!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Smokinjimit wrote:Just another reason to not like Sean. Pawk the hawk ATP!!!
Can't hear you; too many state championships in my ears!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

even the team managers get rings at BH?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:even the team managers get rings at BH?
You're giving him too much credit....I'm guessing mascot.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Towel boy.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

My role on state championship team(s) is secure.
How many of you jokers can say the same?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, so you were on the basketball team? I didn't realize that until now, but using simple deduction. "Sean Mc 94" I'm guessing that means you graduated PC '94. Which means you graduated Hendricken '90 the year before me.

You say state championship team(s). When we went to school, that was before Mosca started winning all those Football championships in about '94, I think. So, Football (could never beat Rogers, etc), Hockey (could never beat Mount), Wrestling (could never beat Coventry), so those would be out. The teams those years that won multiple state championships were Soccer, Basketball, Track (Indoor and Out), Cross Country, Tennis, and a couple of more obscure ones like probably Swimming, etc.

I mean there were probably at least 20 guys with the name "Sean" and last name starting with "Mc" who graduated your year, but I could probably find you with a yearbook (which, don't worry, haven't seen one of those in at least 15 years, wouldn't even know where they currently are). Not trying to 'blow your cover' it just didn't strike me until now that we went to school together, probably both places (the other one for a semester overlap, anyway).
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

94 is the year I graduated PC. Graduated BHHS in 1990. My bro wrestled with your older bro; I believe. He was 89. Lots of Mcs all over the place there.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's cool, Sean. I can hardly remember anyone from there unless they were on a sports team with me, were a particularly popular athlete, or were near me in homeroom. I didn't have the same kind of experience Jim had, my class was much different to his. Luck of the draw, I guess.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

jcru wrote:I graduated Hendricken in 1991, my older brother in 1989, my younger brother in 1995. My older brother and I both played Football.

I graduated from Hendricken in 91' as well. So, I officially know juru. Should I be nervous?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I should be nervous. You could be anyone. Give me a clue, lol.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Best 3 point shooter not on the basketball team. And also humble as you can read.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Mendricken and the La La boys. Gotta love RI culture lol
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

seanmc94 wrote:Go Hawks!
ditto! Go Hawks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fight for the Green,
Fight for the Gold,
Loyal men of Hendricken.

Fight for the strong,
Fight for the bold,
Alma Mater ever true.

Soar through the sky,
O Valiant Hawks,
Symbol of the brave and true.

So fight, fight, fight,
With all your might,
Mighty men of Hendricken.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, do you guys remember Mike Duckworth and Greg Cipriano, the two biggest kids in the school, going at it?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

seanmc94 wrote:My role on state championship team(s) is secure.
state championship - check.

if we are jokers WTF are you doing here? dont let the door hit you on the way out. have no clue why you subject yourself, or us, to this. you rarely exchange in healthy college hoops talk, which is what you always profess you are here for, all you do is police the PC subject matter. were you on hall duty at BH?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The best high school baseball player(arguably) in the state is from Portsmouth. Unfortunately he goes to Hendricken. If he played for Portsmouth, Portsmouth most likely wins the state championship last year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ah, grown men on a message board puffing their chest over high school accomplishments. I love the internet!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote:
Ah, grown men on a message board puffing their chest over high school accomplishments. I love the internet!
well he started it Adam ;) the "jokers" comment just made it impossible to ignore
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
well he started it Adam ;) the "jokers" comment just made it impossible to ignore
Oh I get it, my comment was definitely directed at him.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Section104 wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:
What year? 86 here
2006...maybe we'll run into each other at a reunion? Didn't think there would be any other Abbey grads here.
Class of '66 (although back then it was Portsmouth Priory)
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

adam914 wrote:
Grown men? Where?
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus