High School Memories

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Re: PC/URI tickets going FAST

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:My role on state championship team(s) is secure.
How many of you jokers can say the same?
Ah, grown men on a message board puffing their chest over high school accomplishments. I love the internet!
well he started it Adam ;) the "jokers" comment just made it impossible to ignore
Actually BAR,

You're wrong as usual. I didn't start it.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote:Hey, do you guys remember Mike Duckworth and Greg Cipriano, the two biggest kids in the school, going at it?
I was ringside for that one. Mr Richards was first on the scene. He wanted no part of breaking up those two bears. Br corcoran(5ft 6 110) finally broke it up. 5 minutes later; Cips older bro and his senior buddies showed up on campus looking for Duckwirth. They left when they fouls out Greg had win the fight.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My brother was caught in the middle of that one. That was the two groups: The Irish Mob with the Gormleys, McGoo, Duckworth, McCaffrey, etc, and the Italian guys with Izzo, Ragosta, Cipriano. Gormely had recruited Jim so it was like bragging rights. He was friends with both groups though. Both of those two groups, they all ended up going to URI. Ragosta was the president of ZBT when it burnt to the ground.

Jim must have been in the corridor with you because he gave me a play by play of what happened. Those two guys could have been in WWE. Except from what I hear they weren't pulling punches.

Mr. "I hate you, child" Richards. That brings back memories. My older cousin, who went to OLP before it closed, had Richards as a teacher there. He told Jim his nickname was "Sidewinder". So, one day in class, when Richards went after Jim like he typically did, he called him "Sidewinder". He went berserk and held him after class and made him promise to never say the nickname again, lol.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Richards was a cool teacher. Breaking out Police lyrics and Metallica to show that poetry can be cool was very effective. There was a lot of that Italian vs Irish BS going on. Crazy stuff.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

jcru wrote:Hey, do you guys remember Mike Duckworth and Greg Cipriano, the two biggest kids in the school, going at it?
Nice! I graduated with Greg's oldest brother Tony. I'm still close with Tony to this day. Their brother Chris also went there. I'll have to ask Greg about it next time I see him.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:" We all sing praise to our school.
With loyal heart we remain,
oh how we love her our Alma Mater
Cranston High!"
Guess that was written before there was a West.
By the way, Dan's oldest goes to Hendricken.
I'm guessing the young Hurley plays basketball?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:" We all sing praise to our school.
With loyal heart we remain,
oh how we love her our Alma Mater
Cranston High!"
Guess that was written before there was a West.
By the way, Dan's oldest goes to Hendricken.
I'm guessing the young Hurley plays basketball?
Haha! Here we go again! We HAVE to let Hurley complete his contract so his son can play for him!! 8-)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: High School Memories

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't think he plays. He's had legs problems, which required surgery
earlier in the year.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Re: High School Memories

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Coming from out of state in 1962 I obviously didn't have much exposure to Rhode Island high school culture. It seemed, probably because Rhode Island was so small, that RI freshman held on to their high school connections well into their freshman year and didn't integrate as much with out of staters till they joined a fraternity.

I was on the freshman cross country team as a walk on and we were humiliated by Hope High and LaSalle in our first two meets and it didn't get much better as the season went on. We did return the favor in spring track disposing of Hope, LaSalle and Rogers.

I got introduced to the RI high school scene via the guy in the room next door to mine in Butterfield Hall. It seemed that he was dating a senior at Cranston East and the only way her mother would let her come down to URI on a Friday night was if she was allowed to bring a friend. I was drafted as the designated date of a high school junior no less. Later in the spring I was coerced to attend some Cranston East function called Cranston Nights. So much for escaping the bonds of high school! As a post script, this girl eventually enrolled at URI and we dated off and on for the rest of my time at URI and my first year of grad school at Penn.

We had a lot of athletes in our fraternity and were a pretty even mixture of RI and out of state brothers. It did seem that we had a lot of Cranston and Tolman grads.
0 x