GIROS Bar and Restaurant @ 501 high St Peacedale Since 1933

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

GIROS Bar and Restaurant @ 501 high St Peacedale Since 1933

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

Giros has been serving URI for over 80 years! I have frequented the place since 1964 and enjoy many great memories from then to the present. One of my traditions is to arrive there Sat. @ 11AM before every home football game and do a few beers and a shot!! The food is excellent and reasonably priced and it is a great pre or post game stop whether it be a football or a basketball game . Please join me there before the 3 remaining home games and for the first two guys through the door the shot is on me. By the way make a note to party @ Giros the afternoon of the pc game. I will be there from 3PM on expecting a standing room ONLY crowd. Sorry seanmc you will have to go to Brad's where your homogeneous student body hangs out.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: GIROS Bar and Restaurant @ 501 high St Peacedale Since

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

i could not add up the hours I've spent in Giro's in my lifetime. Hung out there when Pat McNamara owned it. He allowed me to run a tab. Ouch. Have been back under the newest ownership and was encouraged.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

iGGY, We must know each other. I brokered the sale when Pat Mc , not to be confused with friar seanmc, purchased GIROS in 1985. Once Iggy's basically disappeared GIROS was it and aside from having a strong historical connection to URI it's one of the last neighborhood bars if not the only one left in the area. To all Rhody people , try it you will like it and in so doing you will help maintain a very long standing tradition. Somethig that hardly exists anymore, TRADITION!!!! Remember SRO Dec, 5 @ GIROS the day the friars go south then on Dec. 7th REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was at Giros with a few Keaney Blue members years ago the week before they closed. Glad to see them back!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is their veal parm still good? I didn't go there often but I remember the food was good. I also remember when the Mews was just a bar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

I logged a few hours at that place back in the day - especially my senior year. I remember getting totally wasted on Martini's one afternoon with Mal Bowes, the Ram Band drum major and fellow Sachem. I think I played hooky from track practice that day.

Gald to hear that they are doing well - a lot of good memories!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The Mews has become insane!
You have to wait to get seated, and the place is packed.
Best burgers around.
Rhody Joe's is good, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I enjoyed Rhody Joe's before Madness. Was a good time watching the first few innings of the Sox game.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Giros food will SMOKE those two greasy spoons!! Try it and see. Much cozier and more friendly . The best buffalo calamari that I have ever eaten and the hand made burger is superior to the two above mentioned joints!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I promise to come back to Giro's!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:The Mews has become insane!
You have to wait to get seated, and the place is packed.
The Mews has kind of odd popularity waves, highly dependent on the day and the time. I went on Saturday to watch the Sox game and had to park way out by the dumpsters in the back, but there were still booths open in the Dollar Bar. On the weekends, they tend to get a really heavy dinner crowd, and you can just slide into a booth a lot of the time if you go to the bar instead.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

HOMECOMING this Saturday , 10-26-13, GIROS @ 11AM the first 2 rhody guys through the door the shots are on me!!! See you there in the AM or after the Rams defeat Delaware.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Isn't kickoff at noon? Not much time to enjoy Giro's pre-game.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

These 12 noon starts are really a pain. The first 3 home games were 1 PM kickoffs so it will be a quick twenty minutes pre game @ GIROS {tradition} with the hope that I can slip into the 5th Quarter Club parking area and be seated by game time. Then post game tailgating and dinner with the bride @ GIROS around 6:30 PM!!! Life is great!!!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBlue.com, brought to you by Giro's!!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Carl K Tortella wrote:These 12 noon starts are really a pain. The first 3 home games were 1 PM kickoffs so it will be a quick twenty minutes pre game @ GIROS {tradition} with the hope that I can slip into the 5th Quarter Club parking area and be seated by game time. Then post game tailgating and dinner with the bride @ GIROS around 6:30 PM!!! Life is great!!!!!!
Okay, I'll bite. We're going to try Giro's before the b-ball game tonight. We'll be there around 5:30 .... Will we get out in time for tip-off at 7?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Two thumbs up for Giros! We got there at 5:45 and got out by 6:30. Service was good, place wasn't too noisy, and the food was good and decently priced. My only complaint is they didn't have a veal parm grinder. They did have a veal parm dinner, but I was afraid it might take too long. The meatball grinder was good though as was my wife's burger.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Haven't been to the new GIROS yet, spent many a moon at the old one though. Will have to try it for sure.

Nothing like speaking Rhode "Islandese". Our own dialect. People from out of state must wonder what the f##k is a "grinder"!

Also "gaggas". Nothin' like those hot wieners from Olneyville or Cranston.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Rhody74, Glad you enjoyed GIROS!! Aside from serving URI for 80 years, currently it's close, reasonable, friendly and not chainlike-closer to homemade. I have no horse in the race but am a strong believer in maintaining tradition and we should all help out the new owner, Pat Brown, a local trying to reconnect with URI and the community at large. As I have also stated before it is literally the last of the neighborhood bars remaining in the area. My schedule this week for shots and beers is Fri. 5-6:30 PM before Maine and Sat. @ 11AM before Villanova. Please join me @ the bar, Carl K. , and make a note SRO for Dec. 5 pre pc game from 3 PM onnnnnn!!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Carl, most tables were filled on Friday (as they should be) but it lightened up as we were leaving. I presume there were other URI fans there, too, tho' it wasn't obvious. So, I hope things work out for the new owner. It's not an easy business to be in.

I like locally owned places; Westerly, where I live, is having a restaurant renaissance downtown with good, local places, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Be there pre and post NC A&T tonight !!! Dec. 5 , pc pre { start about 3 PM } and post game festvities , mark it down.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

When does Giros open before tomorrow's game?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Pregaming at Giro's!! Looks great inside. 100% Rhody fans here right now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Next weekend home game I can get down to I will check out Giro's. Wanted to donut today but was transporting family members.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Cool. I just wish there were more Rhody fans there. It could be a fun pregame spot if we could get a critical mass of fans. Looks great inside.

Last time I was there it was the final weekend before they shut down. I spent that day with some guys like Rhode Island Red and Milan (I think) and URI78 and some other stalwarts from ye olde Slow Break Club.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Do not forget the GIROS reunion from 3 Pm on pre pc game on Thurs. 12-5-13. Let us Pack the place !!!!
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Thursday , 12-5-13 , GIROS from 3 PM on.............!!!!!! No friars , pleaseeeeeeeee. They can hit Brad's for the virgin mary happy hour.
0 x