Armed Robbery of Students on URI Campus?

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Armed Robbery of Students on URI Campus?

Unread post by RF1 »

URI police investigate report of an armed robbery.

You can bet that URI campus police officers will soon be carrying fire-arms. Recent events have made it very likely.
http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... ready.html
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Armed Robbery of Students on URI Campus?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Arming campus cops has been debated since I graduated in the early '70s. As long as they're trained decently like regular municipal cops, I think it's a good idea.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they go through the same training as all the cops in the state and extra training for being on a college campus
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:they go through the same training as all the cops in the state and extra training for being on a college campus
To be fair to the other side of this a bit, I think they would need to overhaul the current force a bit. At least when I graduated, the URI PD was made up of young cops who were mostly there before moving on to other departments, or cops who had retired from other departments and were taking the URI job because it was a bit less intensive than, say, a beat in Johnston or Westerly. Not that they couldn't do the job, but you would need someone willing to take a good look at the current leadership and infrastructure there and possibly reassign officers if you're now arming them.
0 x