URI to move graduation inside for security reasons

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

May 8, 2013 11:28 am By Karen Lee Ziner
Providence Journal
http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... asons.html

Citing safety and security reasons, the University of Rhode Island is moving its May 19th undergraduate commencement exercises indoors to the Thomas M. Ryan Center. Graduating seniors will be limited to two guest tickets.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: URI to move graduation inside for security reasons

Unread post by twisted3829 »

a lot of my friends that are seniors are very upset and I think that is understandable
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very unfortunate!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

I think its a big mistake to live in fear
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

From an email sent to the URI Community today:
University of Rhode Island President David M. Dooley has announced that URI's 127th undergraduate commencement exercises will be held at the Thomas M. Ryan Center on Sunday, May 19. The decision to move commencement to the Ryan Center this year reflects the ongoing assessment of safety and security measures across the University.

The Ryan Center is the largest and most appropriate venue to accommodate the more than 3,000 undergraduates and some of their guests (each graduating student will receive two guest tickets with their cap and gown). The Ryan Center already serves as an alternative location for commencement. The University has a comprehensive plan in place for that site. This will be the second time since 2009 that the Ryan Center has been used for the main commencement ceremony.

It is at the individual college ceremonies where families and friends will be able to see the important moment – when their student crosses the stage to receive their degree. No tickets are needed at these locations, with the exception of the College of Nursing.

"The decision to activate our alternative location plan this year was made after a review of multiple alternatives and a thorough examination of best practices for ensuring safety at such a large and critical event," said President Dooley. ”Recent events remind us all that, even in the safety of our own communities, we must be vigilant. These events have reinforced our resolve to improve all that we do to ensure the safety of our community. We want everyone who attends our 2013 Commencement ceremonies to have a day full of joy and pride. That begins with doing all we can to provide a safe environment for our celebrations."

Every graduating senior will receive two tickets for their guests to attend the 90-minute main ceremony, at which commencement speeches and honorary degrees are presented. The main ceremony will be streamed live on large screens at five satellite viewing locations (Edwards Hall, Keaney Gymnasium, Mackal Field House, Fine Arts Center Recital Hall, and Memorial Union Ram’s Den).

To enter the Ryan Center, all individuals must show URI campus identification, a Ryan Center pass or commencement regalia (caps and gowns). The Ryan Center prohibits re-entry to all events, including commencement.

After the main ceremony ends at about 2 p.m., the deans and students from each of the colleges will leave the Ryan Center for their college ceremonies. Visit the URI Commencement website for details.

The University recommends that students and guests evaluate the contents of their bags and pockets as they may be subject to search, as needed. Guests are prohibited from bringing backpacks or duffel bags. Bags larger than 1 cubic foot (12” x 12” x12”) will not be permitted unless there is a medical or childcare related reason; in such cases they may be subject to additional security and increased delays. People with these special needs should plan on arriving early to accommodate any potential delay. Best practice is to leave all bags in your car(s).

Although security measures will take a little time, commencement staff will be there to assist and welcome guests.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

They probably should have just framed it as a logistical thing - i.e. it's easier to accurately plan for and stage the event inside - instead of a security issue.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I don't see this is permanent, but rather a reaction to recent events that have sparked new security evaluation methods. I think they don't feel they had enough time to implement a full comprehensive security plan for a quad graduation this year. Next year, they'll be back on the quad.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is this playing as some sort of scandal in RI? My mom posted something on Facebook that seemed to give me that impression. If they received a threat this is the only reasonable thing to do. If they didnt, then this seems like an overreaction. But unless anyone knows the answer to that question, I don't see how they can make a judgment one way or the other.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:Is this playing as some sort of scandal in RI? My mom posted something on Facebook that seemed to give me that impression. If they received a threat this is the only reasonable thing to do. If they didnt, then this seems like an overreaction. But unless anyone knows the answer to that question, I don't see how they can make a judgment one way or the other.
I don't think there was a threat, but the ProJo played it on the front page, which gave it more visibility. I think it's just a sign of the times. Dooley is probably erring on the side of caution.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

A poor decision to make public ~2 weeks before graduation. People have family visiting, and the "satellite sites" are large televisions/displays all over campus. If that's the case, guests could watch their screens at home and save the time, money, and effort. Almost 1600 signatures on this petition already:
https://www.change.org/petitions/presid ... o-the-quad
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody4324
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Rhody4324 »

TruePoint wrote:Is this playing as some sort of scandal in RI? My mom posted something on Facebook that seemed to give me that impression. If they received a threat this is the only reasonable thing to do. If they didnt, then this seems like an overreaction. But unless anyone knows the answer to that question, I don't see how they can make a judgment one way or the other.
Yes, it has been incredibly controversial down here. I am graduating and I don't care where it is(maybe because I'm an out of stater), but I'd say the majority of the senior class is incredibly angry about it. I understand the whole tradition thing, but if it's hot and humid I'd rather be inside anyway.

As far as I can tell it is nothing more than a kneejerk reaction to the Boston Bombings. I think that it's going to turn what should be a joyous day into a bitter and tense one. That's what I'm really worried about.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's a big issue on campus, and to people connected to URI, but otherwise it isn't getting a ton of interest from others, with the possible exception of those who want to use it to justify political belief X.
0 x