Goodbye Providence Journal

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Goodbye Providence Journal

Unread post by RF1 »

After growing up with the daily Providence Journal and having had my own subsription for nearly 25 years, I will be ending my association with the paper. I have contemplated the prospect of dropping the paper each time it has had a price increase over the last five years. Old habits are hard to break for me as I still like getting the print copy and reading it with my meals. I however also expect a good value for what I pay for. I no longer feel that is the case with the paper. The Providence Journal has continued a noticeable decline. The writers I enjoyed reading such as Charlie Bakst, Sean McAdam, and Tom E Curran have all moved on. The content of the paper has gotten much smaller. More and more of it is filled with wire stories which I have already read for free via internet sources. The coverage and content quality of Rhody Basketball has also declined with less pieces and more games being covered by stringers that have little knowledge of the team.

My 8 week subsription was set to increase 25% from $64.00 to $80.00. The rate has increased 135% in the the last decade as the price was $34.00 in 2003.

Code: Select all

Providence Journal Rate Increases (based on 8 week home subsription rate)

INCR        RATE INCR
YEAR	MONTH  8WK RATE  INCR	RATE INCR  FROM BASE	FROM BASE
2003	MAY	 34.00 	   - 	  -   	     -   	   -   
2004	MAR	 35.60 	  1.60 	 4.7%	    1.60 	  4.7%
2008	APR	 40.00 	  4.40 	12.9%	    6.00 	 17.6%
2009	MAR	 56.00 	 16.00 	47.1%	   22.00 	 64.7%
2010	FEB	 64.00 	  8.00 	23.5%	   30.00 	 88.2%
2013	MAR	 80.00 	 16.00 	25.0%	   46.00 	135.3%
It is a bit sad for me to drop the paper. I grew up with it and once delivered it in my youth as a paperboy. It was a quintessential part of Rhode Island. The Journal is going the way of the dinosaur and the state will lose another part of its identity. I see a future where the paper of record for RI will be the Boston Globe. It will have a small 4 person office front bureau in Providence and a regional section that will have 2-3 stories each day of a local nature. RI will become less RI and more just another suburb of Boston.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Goodbye Providence Journal

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hard to dispute your data and conclusions, RF1!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I called to cancel The Providence Journal today once my account balance ran out. After relaying my feelings, they offered to extend the old rate up until the next rate increase (estimated in about two years based on history).

I would suggest that everyone else do the same.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So you're still on board! The few, the proud....
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:So you're still on board! The few, the proud....

I told them I was not willing to pay anymore. Keeping the rate as was maintains the current situation which I have had for the last 3 years. I therefore agreed. I however will drop at the next significant price increase. I have reached my breaking point with them. They are not worth any more of my money.
0 x