Friars post-season chances

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Friars post-season chances

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Very fortunate the road a little easier.

Winning at UCONN is no easy task -- but considering the game back in late January, PC played pretty terrible and still took the game to OT. They dominated the boards, and UCONN is missing 2 of their interior pieces from the game (Wolf, Giffey) leading them paper thin up front. PC outrebounded them by 32 with those guys, so without could be a slaughter.

Also, who knows about the status of Napier. Even if he plays and is 75%, that's is still a very lucky break. He saved the Huskies at the DDC.

Sometimes to make a run, you need some lucky breaks. People will forget who played and who didn't play, but not the final score or final record.

I like the Friars chances a lot more now than I did last week in this game. Also, a win officially would give them a 7th place regular season BE finish, good for top half of the conference.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Go Huskies!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's a wrap. Gonna have to win the tournament now. So sad.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Adam
You are a douche. You don't call your shot and pile on after a loss. Way to go tough guy!
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Good luck in the NIT, Friars!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NIT is still a very strong accomplishment, especially if they play well in BET and get a high NIT seed. They could make a nice run and put their team in great position for a legit top-25 season w/ a NCAA run next year. Nothing to be ashamed of for the Black and White.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PC still has an outside shot at a Dance invite, but this loss didn't do them any favors.

They play Cincy in their 1st game, that's a 50-50 game. Cincy is going to the Dance most likely. They have to win that, or forget it.

If they get past that, the game they would HAVE to win, would be in the next round against the 1 seed.

Do or die there. Win it, and they probably get a bid.

In other words, not likely.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:Adam
You are a douche. You don't call your shot and pile on after a loss. Way to go tough guy!
Wait...you mean there are URI fans on a URI message board that don't like PC!!! This is crazy!!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sean, we feel your pain. We've had enough tough losses a few years ago under Baron, that kept us out of the Dance. We can relate.

Hey, who would have thought, even die hard PC fans, that they would have been in a position to possibly make the Dance a few weeks ago?

The NIT is where they belong this year. Next year, they've got a better shot.

Next year, we might be in the position PC's in now.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Adam

Check the section. You're in Friartown. We ow this section. Just like we own the rivalry
Three straight double digit beat downs; in case your memory is fuzzy
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Check the section. You're in Friartown. We ow this section. Just like we own the rivalry

what a douche. its our board, go swap vaseline with darth and diablo.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Trust me, I think the fact that this section even exists on our board is ridiculous. But don't be mistaken, its still a URI board so if you want to hear only pro-PC talk then you are in the wrong place. I hope PC loses every game they ever play and I have no problem admitting it.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Adam,

I can take anti-PC talk. I just find it funny that you take a day when your team gets smoked at home on senior night after a brutal year to tweek PC after a tough loss on the road to a solid UCONN squad. Especially when said squad pounded URI with a depleted squad earlier in the year.

That's all.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:Adam,

I can take anti-PC talk. I just find it funny that you take a day when your team gets smoked at home on senior night after a brutal year to tweek PC after a tough loss on the road to a solid UCONN squad. Especially when said squad pounded URI with a depleted squad earlier in the year.

That's all.
Check the timestamp, the URI game wasn't over yet when I made my post. Nice try though, I'll be sure to keep in mind that I am only allowed to comment on one game at a time.

Plus, you are reading an awful lot into a two word post of "Go Huskies". I was glad they won because I don't like PC and dont want them to make the NCAA tournament. If you allowed those two words to "tweek" you then that's your own issue.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

way to go superfan. You post on a message board while your team is playing. What's the matter, your dungeons and dragons game was all full up?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Seriously, why do we pander to Friar fans? I don't see a Brown section or a Bryant section? PC has there own boards. Lets lock this entire forum up and keep this focused on URI.

Also, Sean and Superfly were laying into me last weekend in the NCAA's or Bust and how PC was a bubble team. Wrong again.

Solid season, exceeded expectations and will have an NIT bid to continue to build mometun going into next year; but seriously let them go post about PC elsewhere. Why do we pander to PC fans?!?!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

By laying into you, you mean explaining how the Friars could play their way in?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:way to go superfan. You post on a message board while your team is playing. What's the matter, your dungeons and dragons game was all full up?
Yes I post to a message board while my team is playing because I don't live in RI and the only way to watch games is on my computer. I also use my computer to post on this message board. That make sense to you? Any more questions?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

STC wrote:Also, Sean and Superfly were laying into me last weekend in the NCAA's or Bust and how PC was a bubble team. Wrong again.
Can you please quote where we said PC was definitely a bubble team?

Please - quote-

Guess you didn't do to well in your reading comprehension.

Again, we had said PC wasn't far off the bubble, and if they won 3 games in a row they would likely be solidly on, and 4 right there on the borderline.

At no point did we say that would be easily achievable or that it would definitely happen, just that it could happen and wasn't as you made it sound.

I can quote myself as saying I felt PC would go 2-2 to finish the year and get around a 3 seed in the NIT.

I guess we are as stupid as every bracketologist out there who felt the same way, and most of whom still have PC in their "bubble watches" as "has work to do," exactly what we all suggested.

Please go tell Joe Lunardi he was an idiot for being presumptuous and having PC in his "next four out" this week.

Nice try tough guy. I'll wait for the quotes though.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

STC wrote:Seriously, why do we pander to Friar fans? I don't see a Brown section or a Bryant section? PC has there own boards. Lets lock this entire forum up and keep this focused on URI.

Also, Sean and Superfly were laying into me last weekend in the NCAA's or Bust and how PC was a bubble team. Wrong again.

Solid season, exceeded expectations and will have an NIT bid to continue to build mometun going into next year; but seriously let them go post about PC elsewhere. Why do we pander to PC fans?!?!
And yes I completely agree that this section should not exist. Especially if they can't handle the wild and crazy idea that some URI fans may not like PC.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

seanmc94 wrote:By laying into you, you mean explaining how the Friars could play their way in?

I would say you and RJ were more than a little presumptuous in your bubble talk nonsense. Regardless this is a moot point now unless PC wins the BE tourney and gets an auto bid.

I'm here to talk URI athletics and I will leave it at that. I'm new to the URI-PC rivalry as of 2007, so I didn't fully understand the hatred but you PC fans are insufferable.

Lock up the Friar Town forum and tell 'em to go screw as far as I'm concerned.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
STC wrote:Seriously, why do we pander to Friar fans? I don't see a Brown section or a Bryant section? PC has there own boards. Lets lock this entire forum up and keep this focused on URI.

And yes I completely agree that this section should not exist. Especially if they can't handle the wild and crazy idea that some URI fans may not like PC.
This subject comes up frequently and is an annual ritual when the PC - URI game comes around. Fact is that there are posters on the PC Board who say they always root against URI - every single game - and always will.
There are some on this URI Board who will root for PC to lose every single game all year.
Just the way it is.
Go into another team's Message Board and you take your changes.
I hope PC loses their next game, and the one after and the one after and the one after....................
I despise PC, Duke, the NY Yankees, the Montreal Canadiens, the Philadelphia 76ers, the New York Knicks, the SanFrancisco 49ers, so be it. That is what makes true rivalries. I just can't think of any truly great rivalries where the teams root for the other one to win all their games other than when they play one another.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

STC,

Since you are new, I will educate you. There is a faction of uri fans that take greater joy in PC misery than Rhody success. I call it jealous Ex girlfriend syndrome

That's why this section exists.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:STC,

Since you are new, I will educate you. There is a faction of uri fans that take greater joy in PC misery than Rhody success. I call it jealous Ex girlfriend syndrome

That's why this section exists.
and the exact same situation exists on the PC Board, but URI posters rarely post on the PC Board so it is not an issue that experiences the resurfacing that takes place here
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Same exact?

Not so much. No special ram section on the PC board
Or a 28 page thread on Uris conference realignment.
Not ONE poster with a tag line referring to uri
Unlike here, where the mod has it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

:D I'll take most of the responsibility for the 28 page realignment thread, even if it was because of mostly misguided attacks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:Same exact?

Not so much. No special ram section on the PC board
Or a 28 page thread on Uris conference realignment.
Not ONE poster with a tag line referring to uri
Unlike here, where the mod has it.
Sometimes on this URI Board it seems that everyone is supposed to agree
I don't see anything wrong with some URI Fans hoping that PC loses every game
That is just the way they feel.
I can tell you that several years ago I went on the PC Board and I got banned for making some comments that were FAR, FAR less inflmatory than those that get made on this Board by PC Fans - I don't include you in that Sean, but fact is I got banned to "Read Only" status.
Our Mods are more lenient and I think do a very nice job here, even providing warning and guidance.

But sorry to say I hope that PC loses and does not make the NIT.

I also hope the NY Yankees lose every game they play this year including their Spring Training Games.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This subforum was created to allow the occasional topic regarding PC to exist out of sight for fans who would prefer to not read anything about the Friars in the main men's hoop forum, NCAA's or Bust.

Otherwise, on days like today this thread would have been at or near the top of NCAAs or Bust which would have irritated more Rhody Fans.

This area of the site is not an indication that URI Hoops fans have some complex regarding the Friars. Our forum is not just one general subject area.

As for my tagline, would you not agree that at the time the statement was made, the leftovers in what may now be called the America 12 do indeed fit the description? In fact, it's not anti-PC or derogatory towards the real/new basketball Big East at all. It's calling out the fallout of chasing the almighty football dollar at the expense of the country's best basketball conferences and numerous historical rivalries.

EDIT: I've updated my tagline so there's no confusion. Much has changed since it was originally quoted.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Do we still need permission from Sean, RJ and peeps to post in this area of the URI board?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Funny
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ATPTourFan wrote:As for my tagline, would you not agree that at the time the statement was made, the leftovers in what may now be called the America 12 do indeed fit the description? In fact, it's not anti-PC or derogatory towards the real/new basketball Big East at all. It's calling out the fallout of chasing the almighty football dollar at the expense of the country's best basketball conferences and numerous historical rivalries.

EDIT: I've updated my tagline so there's no confusion. Much has changed since it was originally quoted.
More like Job Lot....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think the only point being made is that what is the point of having a "Friar Talk" here on KeaneyBlue is a majority of the posts are hate-posts or written with negative connotations? Did the thoughtless attacks on Father Shanley deserve their own section on this board? How about the thread ripping PC as a weak opponent? Or taking a shot at PC in the Big East rankings? It's one thing if there is general interest to talk "PC," but it seems the only interest in discussing PC is in a negative light.

My suggestion would be to just change the Friars section to a general opponents section, as a place to talk about all current rivals or future opponents so it just doesn't seem like an unproductive smear campaign against the Friars. It's your board, do what you want. Just seems unproductive to have a seperate board dedicated to a rival. We all like to hate our rivals, sure, but why just have a seperate board where it's all hate?

But alas, I don't care. I accept and appreciate the conversation :)
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think the only point being made is that what is the point of having a "Friar Talk" here on KeaneyBlue is a majority of the posts are hate-posts or written with negative connotations? Did the thoughtless attacks on Father Shanley deserve their own section on this board? How about the thread ripping PC as a weak opponent? Or taking a shot at PC in the Big East rankings? It's one thing if there is general interest to talk "PC," but it seems the only interest in discussing PC is in a negative light.

My suggestion would be to just change the Friars section to a general opponents section, as a place to talk about all current rivals or future opponents so it just doesn't seem like an unproductive smear campaign against the Friars. It's your board, do what you want. Just seems unproductive to have a seperate board dedicated to a rival. We all like to hate our rivals, sure, but why just have a seperate board where it's all hate?

But alas, I don't care. I accept and appreciate the conversation :)
It used to be called Daddy's Money. It's a fan board, and PC is URI's biggest rival. If you're not a fan, well, the board as a whole isn't especially geared toward you anyway, is it? Hated rivals are part of what makes college basketball different from most NBA basketball, and most people seem to like the idea, given that URI vs. PC is almost always the one guaranteed sellout for both fan bases. So please, embrace your hated heel status, just like Hulk Hogan would.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess that PC and the DDC are pretty certain PC will make the NIT and get a high seed for a first round home game. The DDC as of Saturday had an NIT game listed on its schedule for Tuesday 03-19-13. With the Friars RPI just below 90, I wouldn't be taking anythng for granted right now.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Placeholder.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Better to be blown out in the play-in games in Dayton than to win the NIT...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, I think both programs would agree with that. However, as the NCAAs were not really a possibility through the bulk of the Friar season, given the personnel issues they had, I think the NIT is going to do that program well going into a big season next year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Big season unless Ledo and Batts leave.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC a 4 seed, playing Charlotte at the DDC. Interesting matchup.

If they win, there's about a 98% chance they play at Kentucky.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

No, Kentucky can't play at home due to scheduling issues. Possible PC vs Kentucky at Ryan Center
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wait, what!?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ram fans, scouting vs. Charlotte?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Wait, what!?
It's anyones best guess at this point.

Kentucky is playing at #8 Robert Morris because Rupp Arena is playing host to the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

The thought process began to switch over to the fact that if they couldn't play round 1 for that reason, round 2 might also be an issue, and that PC might have to play Kentucky over at the Ryan Center.

However, Kentucky has come out and said that if they win at Robert Morris, they would indeed host the game in Round 2.

Since they host on a Thursday/Saturday, my best guess would be that they are pushing for the game to be scheduled on that Sunday.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bummer. That would have been incredible to get Kentucky in the Ryan Center. Talk about impossible ticket to get! Has Kentucky played in an arena smaller than 10k in the last decade??
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

seanmc94 wrote:Ram fans, scouting vs. Charlotte?

Providence should roll 'em.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

As in roll back... as in Alan Major's hairline?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In my bet with Sean that PC would not make the NIT, he was a very gracious winner and suggested I send a donation to the Station Nightclub fund, which I have done.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Well done, men!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

seanmc94 wrote:Ram fans, scouting vs. Charlotte?
They only really do one thing well: rebound, especially on offensive end. If PC keeps them off the boards it should be a W.
On offense they like to get into the paint, but they're a terrible outside shooting team, so if I'm Cooley I have the zone ready.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

They sound a lot like St. John's a d Cincy. Could be a rock fight
0 x