Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Will Wade

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For the sake of accuracy, I do not believe the investigation of Wade is related to the FBI investigation that was the original topic of this thread. From what I understand, this is a separate investigation done by the NCAA.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good to get this over with.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This quote tells you all you need to know about our coach, and his makeup. Cut from a different cloth.

Hurley -- 'It's also a time for college coaches in general to understand their role in young people's lives. It's not about winning championships and making as much money as you can in your own personal career. Coaching used to be an educator, a mentor, a teacher.'
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is an interesting quote, too: "It's a chance for the NCAA to get involved."
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

:lol:
“...I think they’d be afraid to ask.”
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bill does this a lot (and by this, I mean call out stupidity from fans of other teams), and I think it should be acknowledged and appreciated.

5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here's the video of the quotes mentioned by Bill ..... they're even better in context.

3 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:Bill does this a lot (and by this, I mean call out stupidity from fans of other teams), and I think it should be acknowledged and appreciated.

The judge admonished the SKPD? What did they say? How did we miss that?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Great response from Bill Koch!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

And I'm gonna add Patrick Norton to my signature line after looking at his Twitter page........sorry Section 208...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One more point--this guy Norton is a PeeCee fan. One could have assumed that and it is true.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ace wrote:Bill does this a lot (and by this, I mean call out stupidity from fans of other teams), and I think it should be acknowledged and appreciated.

The judge admonished the SKPD? What did they say? How did we miss that?
I'm no judge, but I admonished the SKPD during that saga, as well. I took criticism for that here, as if police are beyond reproach and questioning them is inappropriate. From everything I read and heard about that night and certainly from the way the "investigation" played out, they were out of line. I'd also note it wasn't the entire department, just the officer on the scene and apparently some of the decision makers.

If you notice, Stan still daps up the cops assigned to the sideline during the player intros - so he isn't holding a grudge. More evidence for the type of dude he is. He can play for me any day. Love that guy.
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm still hearing whispers that some non-Rhode Island college kids were instigating shit that night and that is why Stan got involved......
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You know the way Dan runs a program if Stan did anything wrong he would have been punished.

And Ramulous that Ben Lord dude is a real piece of work on twitter...he literally trolls every URI based tweet and litters it with his smack talk sound bites. To the point where he gets called out by other PC fans for being embarrassing. Nothing better than Friar on Friar crime.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nothing better than the mute option on twitter.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

In most years I would agree with you Ace, but 2017-18 has proven to be the most amazing year for counter-trolling of PC and A10 fanbases ever. :)
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill was at all the proceedings, so this happened.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If it didn’t happen Koch wouldn’t have tweeted it. He’s very careful with what he tweets.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Everything Dan said totally sounds like a guy who will hop around to different coaching jobs to make more money.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

8-)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sean Miller is fighting back strong. He’s either innocent (or unable to be proven guilty) or a sociopath.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:Sean Miller is fighting back strong. He’s either innocent (or unable to be proven guilty) or a sociopath.
Something's fishy about the initial report. Scout (and other outlets) have already poked several holes in it, and there's been multiple changes and retractions since it was published. I'm waiting to hear word from ESPN on Arizona playing any games where 11 out of 12 basketballs were deflated.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
ace wrote:Sean Miller is fighting back strong. He’s either innocent (or unable to be proven guilty) or a sociopath.
Something's fishy about the initial report. Scout (and other outlets) have already poked several holes in it, and there's been multiple changes and retractions since it was published. I'm waiting to hear word from ESPN on Arizona playing any games where 11 out of 12 basketballs were deflated.
It all doesnt make sense... why would miller risk talking openly about it with a 25 year old lol
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ng-recruit
Sean Miller is coaching tonight.
Bogus reporting by ESPN.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ESPN reporting in question? NO WAY

Move to other sources like CBS, Fox, Fieldhouse or anything other than ESPN. They don't deserve clicks.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Some have mentioned it here before, but The Athletic is really solid. You can find specials that knock down the price to like $2.99/month with tons of in depth articles on all sports. Some great sports writers that focus on p5, Mid-Major, individual storylines and every in between
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody83 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ng-recruit
Sean Miller is coaching tonight.
Bogus reporting by ESPN.
After a 'productive' meeting with the heads of the P5 conferences, the NCAA has dropped all inquiries into the University of Arizona.
It was determined that any benefit paid to the player in question was under the $101,000 signing bonus limit allowed for P5 schools.
During the session, the allotment for non-P5 schools was also raised to $3.50 cash or a headband and a pair of socks (player's choice).
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Funny rhodyblue....in related news, another recruit decommitted from Arizona...that's 3 now.....

Something is going on whether they want to admit it or not.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I totally agree with Reynolds on his "For What it's Worth" column today regarding the value of a scholarship...not many 18 -22 year-olds make $70,000-$100,000/year, which is the pre-tax income it would take to pay for 1 year at most schools. The real value of these scholarships over a career is about $1.4 million dollars when considering a college degree will increase your earning power. Some kids really take advantage and even get a masters...increasing this even more. In fact it's even more than that if you consider most students come out with large loans and all the interest they have to pay...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:I totally agree with Reynolds on his "For What it's Worth" column today regarding the value of a scholarship...not many 18 -22 year-olds make $70,000-$100,000/year, which is the pre-tax income it would take to pay for 1 year at most schools.

The problem with this argument though is that most 18-22 year olds also aren't generating hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue for their schools and the NCAA either. Nobody is paying hundreds of dollars for season tickets to watch people take math exams, Dunkin Donuts isn't sponsoring the next Economics lecture, Alex and Ani aren't paying for the right to name the floors in the Pharmacy classrooms, CBS isn't paying millions to televise the next Communications public speaking class, and nobody is heading to the book store to buy the shirt that the girl in Theater 101 wore last week. Players deserve a piece of the pie that they are responsible for creating.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know plenty of people who earn between $70-100K with bachelors degrees and some with masters who are directly responsible for bringing in millions of dollars anually for the companies they work for.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you are going to play players then the questions in my mind at first thought are:
- Do players get a piece of the gate? the profits? Who decides? Show sets the amount for each School, Conference, Player? Is it variable?
- Do women's team players get a cut of the men's team or does all that money from men's basketball go to the men only?
- Track and Field team, baseball, swimming, hockey, tennis, rowing, golf, football,etc.....do they share the men's basketball pot?
- Do the players get the same money? Does Terrell get more than Akele who gets more than Will Leviton? Do Seniors get more than Freshmen?
- What if a player transfers? Can he go to a school based on UCLA paying more than URI?
- Can they get bonuses based on Season performance? Conference Tournament performance? NCAA level of achievement?
- Is there a type of profit sharing that could be done at the end of a season and the TV Revenues, Attendance money, etc be distributed? To who and how decided?

I could go on and on............

and in no way do I pretend to know the answers to any of these questions and more, but it seems to be very complicated to be honest
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:I know plenty of people who earn between $70-100K with bachelors degrees and some with masters who are directly responsible for bringing in millions of dollars anually for the companies they work for.
Huh? I think you are making my point for me. Those people get paid.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:If you are going to play players then the questions in my mind at first thought are:
- Do players get a piece of the gate? the profits? Who decides? Show sets the amount for each School, Conference, Player? Is it variable?
- Do women's team players get a cut of the men's team or does all that money from men's basketball go to the men only?
- Track and Field team, baseball, swimming, hockey, tennis, rowing, golf, football,etc.....do they share the men's basketball pot?
- Do the players get the same money? Does Terrell get more than Akele who gets more than Will Leviton? Do Seniors get more than Freshmen?
- What if a player transfers? Can he go to a school based on UCLA paying more than URI?
- Can they get bonuses based on Season performance? Conference Tournament performance? NCAA level of achievement?
- Is there a type of profit sharing that could be done at the end of a season and the TV Revenues, Attendance money, etc be distributed? To who and how decided?

and in no way do I pretend to know the answers to any of these questions and more, but it seems to be very complicated to be honest
It absolutely is complicated and won't be easy. But that doesn't mean it should be ignored and players should continue to be screwed over just because it would be hard. Not saying you are implying that, just making a point that while difficult it needs to be figured out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
RIFan wrote:I know plenty of people who earn between $70-100K with bachelors degrees and some with masters who are directly responsible for bringing in millions of dollars anually for the companies they work for.
No this equates to the annual full value of a scholarship yo most schools.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think the baseball model or something similar is needed. The "one and done" crowd needs to go to the D league or whatever it's called now. The rest commit to 2 or 3 years and are off-limits until then. And they get a stipend to cover some expenses, but nothing more, and that is open to all conferences.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:If you are going to play players then the questions in my mind at first thought are:

None of these questions even have to be asked, never mind answered, with the Olympic model. A lot of the pressure on the system would be alleviated if players could pursue ways to make money outside of the sport, which they're currently prohibited from doing.

Alternatively, if you wanted the payments to players to be more direct and more regulated, my proposed solution would address a lot of those questions in a pretty simplistic way - give players a predetermined cut of the revenue, spread evenly among all athletes in the sport at that level.

So, for example (using simple, round numbers), if NCAA D1 basketball brings in $5B, which would include direct revenues like tournament broadcast rights plus indirect revenue from teams and leagues enforced sort of like a tax, it would distribute 10% of that ($500M) evenly across all scholarship players at all 351 D1 programs. So if each program had 12 scholarship players, that's roughly 4200 players. That would be about 120,000 per player. Not bad. I'd be open to slight tweaks, like if you wanted to give players progressively more based on class year (i.e., 90k for fresh, 110k for soph, 130k for juniors, 150k for seniors). Payments would go direct from a centralized clearinghouse run by the NCAA so teams can't play games with their distributions. Doing it this way would meaningfully compensate players without giving an advantage to schools with more revenues.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI costs about $45,000 for an out of state student to attend, according to this calculator a family would need to earn:

We estimate a gross paycheck of $91,526.97 nets $45,000.00.

https://www.associatedbank.com/calculat ... Gross.html

For BC at $65,000

We estimate a gross paycheck of $132,456.76 nets $65,000.00.

I did not tweak any inputs since a student could be coming from any state and any number of financial circumstance. Also, I believe this was before Trumps tax cuts.

So my guesstimates may be low on the actual value of a scholarship.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
adam914 wrote:
No this equates to the annual full value of a scholarship yo most schools.
Right, but I still don't think that makes it a fair system. You are getting a scholarship as a reward for your skills and contribution to the university. Same as someone who gets an academic scholarship. We don't try and tell those people that they aren't allowed to earn any money while in school. And if those same people were responsible for generating the same amount of revenue as college basketball players are then I would advocate for them getting a cut of that money to.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:URI costs about $45,000 for an out of state student to attend, according to this calculator a family would need to earn:

We estimate a gross paycheck of $91,526.97 nets $45,000.00.

https://www.associatedbank.com/calculat ... Gross.html

For BC at $65,000

We estimate a gross paycheck of $132,456.76 nets $65,000.00.

I did not tweak any inputs since a student could be coming from any state and any number of financial circumstance. Also, I believe this was be for Trumps tax cuts.

So my guesstimates may be low on the actual value of a scholarship.
So I have to assume that in your opinion anyone in school on an academic scholarship should not be allowed to work while in school or earn any money at any time while receiving a scholarship, correct?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree that an additional say $1,500 (pick a number that a kid could earn with a part-time campus job) a semester for living expenses may be in order. But these kids are getting a huge value...I am the father of two teenagers and I would be doing backflips if they got a full ride somewhere. I see firsthand how college debt is holding back friends, family and colleagues.

Are you really not allowed to work if you are a student athlete?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... uber-spare
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:I agree that an additional say $1,500 (pick a number that a kid could earn with a part-time campus job) a semester for living expenses may be in order. But these kids are getting a huge value...I am the father of two teenagers and I would be doing backflips if they got a full ride somewhere. I see firsthand how college debt is holding back friends, family and colleagues.
I don't think anyone is debating the value of a college scholarship. I graduated from URI in 2003 and just finished paying off my loans last year. I get it. But they deserve more due to the revenue that is generated from the activity that has earned them their scholarship.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Life is not always fair...they are getting a life changing degree and in some cases they are the first in their family to go to college and potentially elevate their family situation. Place a value on that...
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:Life is not always fair...they are getting a life changing degree and in some cases they are the first in their family to go to college and potentially elevate their family situation. Place a value on that...
Wow, not sure there is much else to say after that. One of the more ridiculous arguments I have ever heard to be honest.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hey, I may not agree with all your points, but I respect them. Sorry if you think my take was "ridiculous". I know that my families situation improved greatly once the first generation went to college.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There is no logical argument to be made to not paying the players, it's pure jealousy. "I had to pay, my kids had to pay, the players should just be happy with what they get."
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

As I stated I am not opposed to "paying" them what they might earn if they had a part time campus job. But, I think we are all naive if you think that will stop someone from trying to cheat, even if you pay them tens of thousands. There will always be those looking to get an edge and willing to pay whatever the price is to win. So if you want to pay them out of a perceived moral obligation, fine, but I wouldn't expect it to fix the alleged cheating problem, which people are trying to leverage to get the athletes paid.
1 x