How did we lose to this team?

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

How did we lose to this team?

Unread post by Blue Man »

So I had the unfortunate experience of seeing one of the worst basketball games I've seen Friday night when Rhody beat Brown in high school fashion.

I didn't realize that PC would look worse when I went the next night. Holy crap. I mean...they're terrible. TERRIBLE.

It was the first time in a long time I looked at a PC team and cringed because they weren't playing controlled, smart basketball like we are. I get that we can't score, but at least (with the exception of brown) we haven't played sloppy, amateurish, out of control basketball.

It could be that they're all getting used to playing with each other, but I dont care who you are...you've now lost to BC, Brown, and Depaul. HOW DID WE LOSE TO THEM!?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: How did we lose to this team?

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Their strength is our biggest weakness
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Simply put, PC is not a very good team right now.

1 - They are not very deep. Their three guards right now are probably averaging about 75% in terms of health. They are not capable of handling ball pressure at this point in time. They are so sluggish right now that Cooley had to bring in the walkon Bancroft to apply defense pressure at the top of the press against DePaul. The other guys are not capable of playing at full-speed which is killing them. Council finally looks good the other night (probably closer to 90%), and then he falls and hurts his wrist requiring medical attention. He played the 2nd half but was constantly grabbing and favoring it.

2 - PC is still weak in the middle. Most teams with any height are capable of holding their own in the middle. PC is still trying to get sophomore Sidiki Johnson in the mix, but he has the minutes of a young freshman under his belt. Kadeem Batts and LaDontae Henton are tissue paper on the defense end, and Henton has played two of the last four games very sick, with "the flu." Get the kid a freakin flu shot. Kofane and Goldsbrough are terrible. PC has two decent players (Harris 6'9) and Desroisiers (7'0) on the bench via transfer. Neither are saviors, but their height and length would be welcomed additions at this point.

3 - No chemistry. Add in the injuries and the fact that guys like Cotton are not practicing, and they are not gelling at all. Looks almost more like street ball because no one knows their role because it's all new to them. Dunn hadn't touched a basketball from June - December in contact format, VC didn't practice from early November through most of December, Fortune is a freshman who is a sharpshooter and that's about all he brings, Henton has been in and out with illness, it's brutal right now.

PC is playing like crap, but they aren't this bad.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am not sold on Desrosiers and Harris.....until I see them play I put them in the same category as URI's transfers...unknown assets.....only Biruta seemed to have success at his last college.....all others underperformed at their last stops....Sidiki Johnson isn't big east ready.....Dunn has not lived up to the expectations of the fans on the friar scout board...

....last recruiting cycle was big for Cooley in my opinion....he swung and missed on all his big targets.....and he had plenty of playing time to offer them....he had to settle for a couple of transfers....

.....if Hurley in this recruiting cycle swings and misses on his targets and has to settle for transfers who must sit a year then I will be disappointed in him....

.....I don't think the friars are a talented and deep team, in comparison to their rivals in the big east...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

On paper, next years friar team(with Ledo) could be the deepest team since 1997.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, you are still holding out some hope that Ricky actually plays for the Friars? Any new info to support that (either way)?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ramulous wrote:I am not sold on Desrosiers and Harris.....until I see them play I put them in the same category as URI's transfers.
I'm not sold on them either, but I think on the surface, their length is more important than anything.

Carson at 7'0 and Harris at 6'9 would make them the tallest players on the roster. Carson in the middle would give the PC defense a legitimate shotblocker, while Harris at 6'9 gives a more than capable lengthy wing defender.

The problem plaguing PC this year is that there is no length and lack of athleticism. They at least address it, in addition to Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock. Austin can play 1-3 at 6'6.

The X-Factor really is Ledo though. If Ledo plays next year, and that is a big if, you have to pencil PC in for a 8-11 in the NCAA preseason. If not, you might be an NIT team battling for the bubble.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ATP

Anyone outside of RL and EC who claims to know is full of it.
Staff seems very confident. Just takes one team to fall in love
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, I hope he does. It will make next year's RI college hoop season national news.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

randall hanke was 6'11" and a terrible defender. pc needs ledo to play next year and i have no evidence that he either will or will not ever play.
0 x
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

Didn't Hanke block a lot of shots though?
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I saw Carson play while in high school. He is a solid player with a ton of length. He will definitely help them out and make an impact.
0 x