7,000 at Byrant vs Forham

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

7,000 at Byrant vs Forham

Unread post by OBRAM »

Was anyone there, did they have 7,000?

: 9/23/2017 Site: Smithfield, R.I. Stadium: Beirne Stadium Attendance: 7532 Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm End of Game: 4:09 pm Duration: 1:09 Temperature: 72 Wind: N 9 mph Weather: Overcast

Do they count tailgaters, that never go into the stadium?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 7,000 at Byrant vs Forham

Unread post by RF1 »

There has been speculation in the past that they significantly inflate their numbers for football. I have no evidence either way to support either side. If they do inflate them, it is probably only football as they report very small numbers for men's hoops games.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yesterday was homecoming for them, so I'm sure they did get a big crowd. Also, I'm sure they count sold tickets, just like URI.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

The grandstand was full. The (visiting) bleachers across the field were almost full. Plenty of standing room from end zone to end zone on the home sidelines. Behind the goalposts in front of the strength and conditioning center was at least five deep with people. The parking lot tailgate pregame looked like something out of a concert.

Was it really 7500? I can't count that high. But it was live. Not a spare inch to be had anywhere.

What I was imagining in my head was that scene magnified by 10 or 15, because that's a Big 10 or SEC game every weekend.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Unless they have added seats, but last time I was there a few years ago I think for Homecoming, their stands could only hold about 2,000-3,000. and I doubt that 4,500 people could be in standing room around end zones. However, the tailgate area was packed with lots of drinking and even police arrests going on. I was thinking, if URI tailgating was this wild it would be on the evening news. Also, you could not find a parking spot anywhere on campus.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM

Bryant's Beirne Stadium (formerly named Bulldog Stadium) officially seats just 4,400 per the Bryant Athletics site. There are 3,200 permanent bleacher seats on the home side of the field and 1,200 additional seats on the visitor side.

There is therefore no way that it could accommodate 7,532 seated patrons. Bill has indicated that there were many standing along the sidelines. An additional 3,132 standing spectators along the sidelines however seems out of whack. Either thousands came to stand and then go during the game with replacements taking their place OR they are counting tailgaters in some manner. Is the tailgating area within the stadium grounds perimeter? Must a ticket be presented to tailgate in any manner?

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant does have some nice athletic facilities outside of their basketball venue. The football stadium, while small in seating capacity, is nice and new. They have the new Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Center behind one endzone. Their indoor football field sized practice facility is now open. They also have nice venues for both baseball and softball. All in all, they are very nice for a school of its size which is relatively new to D1.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see how it could be that high in attendance.
But nobody at Bryant talking about dropping football, even after getting demolished at Maine. My guess is they would love to be in the CAA one day.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM

As you noted in the URI-UNH thread, there are some strange attendance numbers being reported for games when compared to stadium seating capacities. UNH reported 22,135 for the homecoming game vs URI this past weekend for a stadium that has a seating capacity of just 11,015. This was similar to Bryant for their HC game vs Fordham that also had nearly double the stadium seating capacity. It would seem that tailgaters or possibly even general homecoming registrants are being counted in these numbers.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

so bottom line lets do the same for Elon - maybe will get us the front page coverage that Bryant is getting last two weeks
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch had a photo at the beginning of the 2nd half for Fordham-Bryant. It shows the smaller visitor sideline. This photo in itself does not exactly support the report 7,532 number of those that supposedly attended the game.

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bryant’s got some ‘splainin’ to do.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

As you can see, not many people on the visitors side.
At most 2,500 in Home side Stands, so where 5,000 people standing?

I would also like to see where the 11,000 standing room people stood at the UNH game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote:As you can see, not many people on the visitors side.
At most 2,500 in Home side Stands, so where 5,000 people standing?

I would also like to see where the 11,000 standing room people stood at the UNH game.
Bill Koch wrote:The grandstand was full. The (visiting) bleachers across the field were almost full. Plenty of standing room from end zone to end zone on the home sidelines. Behind the goalposts in front of the strength and conditioning center was at least five deep with people. The parking lot tailgate pregame looked like something out of a concert.

Was it really 7500? I can't count that high. But it was live. Not a spare inch to be had anywhere.

What I was imagining in my head was that scene magnified by 10 or 15, because that's a Big 10 or SEC game every weekend.
I would have to go with what Bill says. Sounds like it could have been 7500. Maybe the worst time to look at the status of the stands in a College Football Game is right after halftime as the picture indicates. I have been to many P5 Football games and the Tailgating is the highlight of the event for most Alums and Students, before the game and at halftime. I know many will go back out to Tailgating at halftime and return and many do not return and prefer to just remain at the tailgating. People have generators at the tailgating and Televisions showing the game live. So not surprised the stands and standing room looked so desolate right after halftime.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: I would have to go with what Bill says. Sounds like it could have been 7500. Maybe the worst time to look at the status of the stands in a College Football Game is right after halftime as the picture indicates. I have been to many P5 Football games and the Tailgating is the highlight of the event for most Alums and Students, before the game and at halftime. I know many will go back out to Tailgating at halftime and return and many do not return and prefer to just remain at the tailgating. People have generators at the tailgating and Televisions showing the game live. So not surprised the stands and standing room looked so desolate right after halftime.

Put aside the half time argument where it is reasonable that people may have temporarily stepped away. There is however still no way possible that it is feasible to have had 7,532 all watching the game at the same time. Look at the overhead photo of the stadium. They only have seats for 4,400 (with many inclined rows on one side). Look at the limited perimeter around the field for spectators to stand. There is almost no sro room on the home side as trees come close to the edge of the field in one corner. The athlete's performance center at one end zone also limits the room there. That would mean that the great majority of sro people would have to be situated along the visitor side to the left and right of the bleachers there and the other end zone. There is just not enough space there to reasonably hold some 3k. While there may have been 7,532 people in the stadium vicinity, several thousand of them likely did not watch much football.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote: I would have to go with what Bill says. Sounds like it could have been 7500. Maybe the worst time to look at the status of the stands in a College Football Game is right after halftime as the picture indicates. I have been to many P5 Football games and the Tailgating is the highlight of the event for most Alums and Students, before the game and at halftime. I know many will go back out to Tailgating at halftime and return and many do not return and prefer to just remain at the tailgating. People have generators at the tailgating and Televisions showing the game live. So not surprised the stands and standing room looked so desolate right after halftime.

Put aside the half time argument where it is reasonable that people may have temporarily stepped away. There is however still no way possible that it is feasible to have had 7,532 all watching the game at the same time. Look at the overhead photo of the stadium. They only have seats for 4,400 (with many inclined rows on one side). Look at the limited perimeter around the field for spectators to stand. There is almost no sro room on the home side as trees come close to the edge of the field in one corner. The athlete's performance center at one end zone also limits the room there. That would mean that the great majority of sro people would have to be situated along the visitor side to the left and right of the bleachers there and the other end zone. There is just not enough space there to reasonably hold some 3k. While there may have been 7,532 people in the stadium vicinity, several thousand of them likely did not watch much football.
I agree, a lot of people did not watch football. Plus they really should not count Tail-gators for the entire game as part of their attendance, if that is what they did.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is a video of tailgating and homecoming game.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:Bill Koch had a photo at the beginning of the 2nd half for Fordham-Bryant. It shows the smaller visitor sideline. This photo in itself does not exactly support the report 7,532 number of those that supposedly attended the game.

This reminds me of the Trump inauguration rally. Photographic evidence is fake news!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:
I agree, a lot of people did not watch football. Plus they really should not count Tail-gators for the entire game as part of their attendance, if that is what they did.

We should report the number of people on campus as our attendance figure.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:Bill Koch had a photo at the beginning of the 2nd half for Fordham-Bryant. It shows the smaller visitor sideline. This photo in itself does not exactly support the report 7,532 number of those that supposedly attended the game.

This reminds me of the Trump inauguration rally. Photographic evidence is fake news!
First of all I think the number is inflated, by how much I don't know.

But I do agree with Bill Koch's assessment and have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was there, live.

The picture is deceiving because it was the start of the 2nd half. Tailgating in full halftime force, people still coming back to their seats from concession stands, mingling and catching up with old friends at Homecoming.

A picture in the 1st half of the game would be more indicative of the crowd, especially if they were 5 deep standing to watch.
Bill Koch wrote:The grandstand was full. The (visiting) bleachers across the field were almost full. Plenty of standing room from end zone to end zone on the home sidelines. Behind the goalposts in front of the strength and conditioning center was at least five deep with people. The parking lot tailgate pregame looked like something out of a concert.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Below is the Fordham video. Look at it as well as the Bryant video. There are not thousands of standing people lining the field in either. The only logical explanation is that the tailgaters in and around the stadium are included in their official number.

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The stadium isn’t even close to full in the Fordham video.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We have a game we should win tonight against our biggest football rival for a trophy and people here are talking about Bryant football. But keep complaining about how the ProJo allocates coverage and how football is necessary to have a relevant athletic program.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm still complaining About how Bryant - Brown got front page coverage and the humongous URI victory over Harvard got page C7.
Now it appears the concensus is that Bryant inflates their attendance significantly.
That's why my complaint about the PROJO.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus poor coverage of tonight's game vs Brown by the PRIJO with a story on page 3 of Saturday's sports section.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I heard Bishop Hendricken is claiming to have sold 500 hamburgers at the concession stand at last nights game, but I've heard from some that were there that it was maybe 450 tops. Someone please open an investigation. I am currently scouring the internet for photos from the game to count how many fans are holding hamburgers!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Plus poor coverage of tonight's game vs Brown by the PRIJO with a story on page 3 of Saturday's sports section.
Why should the ProJo increase their coverage when URI football fans care more about Bryant attendance than tonight's game?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ramster wrote:Plus poor coverage of tonight's game vs Brown by the PRIJO with a story on page 3 of Saturday's sports section.
Why should the ProJo increase their coverage when URI football fans care more about Bryant attendance than tonight's game?
They don't. URI has greater attendance than Bryant at football games.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Then why are we applying photo forensics to this? I feel stupid reading this, but I am retired and don't have anything else to do.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We seem awfully obsessed with Bryant's attendance numbers.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obsessed with Bryant-Brown on big front page spread with URIs huge upset victory over Ivy League Favorite Harvard and 1st victory ever over Harvard relegated to page C7. Then on top of that obviously Bryant is inflating attendance.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Why do people make a big deal out of it being the first win over Harvard? We'd only played them like four times over about 75 years, it wasn't some ridiculous streak we broke.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Why do people make a big deal out of it being the first win over Harvard? We'd only played them like four times over about 75 years, it wasn't some ridiculous streak we broke.

The big deal is that this game can be used as a measuring stick. Harvard also has been a Top 25 caliber team and is the favorite to win the Ivy League

Past 3 years URI has played Harvard and all 3 years the game was Harvard's 1st game of the season
URI has improved talent on the team over the past few years and it is showing in the competitiveness of the team. Not in the W/L record yet but the talent level is improving.

2017 URI wins by 7 points: 17-10 @ URI
2016 Harvard wins by 30 points: 51-21 @ Harvard
2015 Harvard wins by 31 points: 41-10 @ URI
0 x