North Carolina Proposing a Law Which Could Require UNC & NC State to Leave ACC

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
steviep123
Sly Williams

North Carolina Proposing a Law Which Could Require UNC & NC State to Leave ACC

Unread post by steviep123 »

Well this could get interesting if it passes and again effect conference re-alignment.

http://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/onair/ ... -15736639/

If this bill comes to fruition and passes, then should the ACC boycott holding a tournament in North Carolina again, it would require UNC and NC State to leave the ACC.

I'm sure there would be lawsuits galore if the bill passed and the ACC still boycotted, but it could hold several ramifications.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Re: North Carolina Proposing a Law Which Could Require UNC & NC State to Leave ACC

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

As much as American liberalism is currently eating itself, the Republicans seem even more determined to one-up the Democrats in terms of sheer nuttiness.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: North Carolina Proposing a Law Which Could Require UNC & NC State to Leave ACC

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If they react this way to tournaments being taken out of state for one year, imagine their reaction if and when the NCAA finally gives UNC the beat down they deserve.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Well, the tournaments are a huge revenue resource for the state ... Not only do they get the ACC Tournament most years but they also get the NCAA Tournament basically every year. We've seen the economic impact the tournament has had on Providence from hotels to restaurants to shopping, I'm sure that's what they are upset by. When you combine the guests that are welcomed to the state during both events, that must make the state of North Carolina a ton of money.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Well, the tournaments are a huge revenue resource for the state ... Not only do they get the ACC Tournament most years but they also get the NCAA Tournament basically every year. We've seen the economic impact the tournament has had on Providence from hotels to restaurants to shopping, I'm sure that's what they are upset by. When you combine the guests that are welcomed to the state during both events, that must make the state of North Carolina a ton of money.
Was anyone confused about why they don't want to be boycotted?

I think the fascination is that they are so committed to their bigotry.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sorry, I didn't tie it together with RR's previous post.
I honestly don't think the state would care much about UNC receiving NCAA sanctions.
Sure, UNC fans would be pissed, but in this case I think it really is all about the $$.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW - Elected politicians, especially at the state level vs. federal, introduce a ton of bat-shit crazy legislation each year. The vast majority of that never gets out of committee and into a public hearing. My suspicion would be that that would be the case with these bills.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SGreenwell wrote:FWIW - Elected politicians, especially at the state level vs. federal, introduce a ton of bat-shit crazy legislation each year. The vast majority of that never gets out of committee and into a public hearing. My suspicion would be that that would be the case with these bills.
This is true, but I'd have also said the same thing about the original law.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NC is going to eventually be punished for the violations......probably not as badly as expected though......some sort of probation and loss of scholarships....death penalty as the Md. president said is ridiculous. Irresponsible statement. Hell, even if they deserve it, they won't get it.

That bill is not going anywhere, but as TP said, anything is possible I guess.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One of the reps that will vote on this measure just called Abraham Lincoln a tyrant last week and compared him to Hitler. That should tell you all you need to know about the NC legislature.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One thing I saw, I think it came from the Daily Show, was that South Carolina is now so embarrassed by North Carolina that they've decided to change their name to North Georgia.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines