You like Produce?

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You like Produce?

Unread post by seanmc94 »

For the posters who were and still are taking pot shots at PC; how ya like them apples?

Not bad for a high school team; eh true point?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: You like Produce?

Unread post by Ramulous »

Congrats to the friars.....Cooley has them playing very well considering how under-manned they are so far....I am impressed ....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Absolutely. Cooley's group is impressive. I certainly have better feelings about the types of players Cooley has compared to the mid-2000s under Welsh. Back then, it seemed that there were some questionable character types which lingered all through Keno's short time there.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley has a group that has bought into his system and has had the benefit of being in year two of his rebuild. They play hard for him and give him everything they have. His current ready to play guys are more talented and experienced than those of URI. With the addition of injured, ineligible, and transfers, and new recruits, Cooley has the Friars well positioned for better days ahead.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I was referring to the school as a high school, not the basketball team.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Really. Because your post was about the crowd for the hoop team. Followed by "ha, ha"

He who laughs last, laughs best.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah really. I have much more respect for the basketball program than I do for the school and its alumni.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm sure many PC fans can say the same about a lot of URI fans...
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

seanmc94 wrote:Really. Because your post was about the crowd for the hoop team. Followed by "ha, ha"

He who laughs last, laughs best.
Congrads you just won the most obnoxious poster award!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'm sure many PC fans can say the same about a lot of URI fans...
PC graduates are a big reason a lot of people like me moved out of Rhode Island, and on to bigger and better things. Even the best PC alums are unwitting beneficiaries of cronyism and nepotism, going through the LaSalle-PC-Suffolk Law assembly line and coming out the other side as blood sucking ambulance chasers or running profitable DUI defense work, or operating a business they inherited and fooling themselves into thinking they're entrepreneurial geniuses. The worst of them have created an incestuous and corrupt capital culture that has bankrupted the state. All of them carry with them a repulsive sense of entitlement and arrogance that seems to misunderstand the way the rest of the world views them and their alma mater. Nobody, other than fellow PC alums and non-college graduates in the Providence-Johnston-Cranston corridor of ignorance, views Provodence as anything better (or any less of a waste of money) than Roger Williams or Quinnipiac. Yet these people carry themselves with a repugnant air of overinflated and meritless self-worth that makes me want to see something terrible happen to them. You aren't an Ivy, you aren't a Little Ivy, you are a safety school for Assumption, which is a safety school for Holy Cross, which is a safety school for BC, which is a safety school for kids that didn't get into Notre Dame; which is why the "safety school" chants from your student section are met only with a knowing chuckle - our better education came at such a value that I paid for my URI education and my law school for less than what it cost you to get your Sociology or History degree that nobody more than 50 miles from Smith Hill cares about.

How about them apples?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

And the 2nd to last time I was at the Ryan Center, I had two 65 year old men screaming in the faces of my grandfather and I, and I had to watch students storm the court as 5.5 point favorites. I had people jumping in our faces that day like you guys won the National Championship. Impressive comeback, but was nothing to write home about.

The only reason people scream "safety school," anymore is because they know how much it gets under the skin of people like you. Fact is, it is my impression that a lot of students of PC nowadays are out of staters, coming from Western CT and Long Island/NJ area. They don't know PC/URI from a hole in the wall, but it's funny watching the reaction of people like you get all freaked out. Are there people out there dumb enough to believe it? Yes, just like there are people dumb enough to believe a lot of things.

Furthermore, your POV about the chain of command for PC and the other schools is way of base, and I wish it wasn't. I got $9,000 merit scholarship to attend Assumption. That was much better than the $0 I got from PC which is why I went to Assumption. You know how much street cred a degree from Assumption College holds in Rhode Island? Basically 0. And Holy Cross a safety school for BC? Laughable.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:And the 2nd to last time I was at the Ryan Center, I had two 65 year old men screaming in the faces of my grandfather and I, and I had to watch students storm the court as 5.5 point favorites. I had people jumping in our faces that day like you guys won the National Championship. Impressive comeback, but was nothing to write home about.

The only reason people scream "safety school," anymore is because they know how much it gets under the skin of people like you. Fact is, it is my impression that a lot of students of PC nowadays are out of staters, coming from Western CT and Long Island/NJ area. They don't know PC/URI from a hole in the wall, but it's funny watching the reaction of people like you get all freaked out. Are there people out there dumb enough to believe it? Yes, just like there are people dumb enough to believe a lot of things.

Furthermore, your POV about the chain of command for PC and the other schools is way of base, and I wish it wasn't. I got $9,000 merit scholarship to attend Assumption. That was much better than the $0 I got from PC which is why I went to Assumption. You know how much street cred a degree from Assumption College holds in Rhode Island? Basically 0. And Holy Cross a safety school for BC? Laughable.
You should be as aggravated with the PC cronyism as the rest of us, then. Move to Boston, you won't have that problem.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Assumption is a safety school for PC? In what alternative universe?

I'm guessing your ax to grind comes from getting pasted in court year after year by PC grads. You make excuses, because that's what losers do. Winners figure out how to make it happen. Losers delete posts that have alternative views.

Your team has been pounded by 17+ points the last 3 years

How ya like THEM apples?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Or it's the fact that Assumption is a small liberal arts school in Worcester who 75% of people I'm RI either don't know about, don't know where it is, or have no idea what we specialize in.

So I guess I should blame URI, Brown, and Bryant grads as well for being equally as ignorant?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Assumption is a safety school for PC? In what alternative universe?

I'm guessing your ax to grind comes from getting pasted in court year after year by PC grads. You make excuses, because that's what losers do. Winners figure out how to make it happen. Losers delete posts that have alternative views.

Your team has been pounded by 17+ points the last 3 years

How ya like THEM apples?
I've never done a trial and never practiced in Rhode Island so your theory, while impressively imaginative, is nonetheless wrong. I don't know anything about Assumption; that one was for effect. The point remains: PC people live in a bubble. It's just one of hundreds of tiny liberal arts colleges in the northeast, and is not of any particular note. Yet, you guys seem to be under the impression that PC is some kind of world renowned institution. And this unjustified arrogance would normally just be harmless and kind of amusing, except that the PC Alumni Association....er.....I mean the Rhode Island General Assembly has ruined the state that I grew up in and care about deeply.

As far as deleting posts, I've deleted exactly one post out of the hundreds from PC fans who came here to exhibit their class and grace since the game last Thursday. Opposing viewpoints are not only tolerated, but welcomed. I don't think you read the post that I deleted, but if you had I think you would have been embarrassed by it as a Friar fan. You've been posting here for years - how many posts of yours have I deleted?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Im just curious how your baseless rant vs. PC and it's alumni would be received if it were aimed at Rhody?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wow - this thread still lives on days after the game.

In my experience, the worst PC fans are not their graduates. The worst Friar fans are those Rhode Islanders that have no connection to PC other than following its basketball program. Unfortunately, with PC now made up of nearly 90% out of state students, the number of their local graduates is dramatically shrinking. We are then for the most part only left with the obnoxious locals Friar fanbase that are non graduates.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1, yup.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

And you don't think your fanbase can be equally as obnoxious when you have a semi-decent team?

It goes both ways...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't go picking on Assumption. It is without a doubt the 2nd best school of higher education located on Salisbury Street in Worcester.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Best college hoops team in Worcester this year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Best college hoops team in Worcester this year

Yes - I know that Assumption beat Holy Cross in its exhibition with them. The Crusaders of today however are not those of the past. Given all the other colleges in Worcester are D3, I still don't think that is such an accomplishment.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm just busting beans. But 8-0 and ranked D-2 in the Top 20 is still no easy task for a school like Assumption.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'm just busting beans. But 8-0 and ranked D-2 in the Top 20 is still no easy task for a school like Assumption.

I am familiar with Worcester hoops (I was in the Assumption gym just last year) as I do have a degree from a Salisbury Street school of Higher Ed close to downtown.

Assumption has typically always had excellent D2 teams. Across town, Clark usually has good D3 squads as well.
0 x