ESPN Outside The Lines - PC and Brandon Austin

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Smokinjimit
ARD

ESPN Outside The Lines - PC and Brandon Austin

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

PC is getting killed right now on this show about the Austin kid.
They do look better than Oregon.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: ESPN's Outside The Lines - PC and Brandon Austin

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

For those who would also like to see:
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: ESPN Outside The Lines - PC and Brandon Austin

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The other player involved in the alleged assault at PC, Rodney Bullock, is still on the Friars basketball team and is expected to be a starter for the team this season. He was implicated along with Austin in the alleged assault at PC back in 2013. They were found in violation of the school's code of conduct by a school judiciary board and were to be barred from campus. A PC vice president overturned the decision, allowing the pair to stay in school and continue to practice with the team. They were, however, prohibited from participating in games for the rest of that season (2013-14). While Austin decided to transfer to Oregon, Bullock remained at PC and was expected to suit up for the 2014-15 season. Bullock however suffered a torn ACL injury before the start of last season and sat out the entire year. He will see his first action as a Friar next week after sitting out two years.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Smokinjimit wrote:PC is getting killed right now on this show about the Austin kid.
Wonder what the reaction is on Saintly Scout Central????
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Smokinjimit wrote:PC is getting killed right now on this show about the Austin kid.
Admittedly, I never really followed the incident and only know the very basics, but didn't PC kick Austin out of school for this? I can understand Oregon getting killed for bringing him in after the fact, but is there more to the story regarding Austin leaving PC?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Admittedly, I never really followed the incident and only know the very basics, but didn't PC kick Austin out of school for this? I can understand Oregon getting killed for bringing him in after the fact, but is there more to the story regarding Austin leaving PC?
No. He was originally going to get a harsh punishment (barred from campus) from PC that was overturned by a PC Vice President. He was instead allowed to remain at PC but prohibited from playing for that year (could still practice with the team). Cooley very much wanted him to stay but Austin chose to transfer to Oregon where he was once again accused of sexual assault.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I can tell you that if it were my daughter neither guy would be capable of playing basketball ever again.

Imagine letting these guys back on campus? One still playing for the team!

The grand jury couldn't get an indictment? My guess is the DA didn't try very hard to get one. ( ham sandwich?). Wouldn't want to make PC look bad since he was on his way to Oregon.

I normally don't advocate going after a student athlete in a tasteless way. ( Patrick can you read this?) comes to mind.

In this case I would have no problem with the student section making signs to remind this player that not everyone has forgotten what he was accused of.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Some signs for "Rodney Ballocks", right?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is kind of strange that Bullock's involvement in the alleged sexual assault has been nearly forgotten. That is not the case with Austin. One might actually possibly think Austin acted alone in the incident at PC given the scant mention of an accomplice. Given that Austin was accused of a 2nd assault on a college campus within a year, it gives the accusation at PC more credibility despite the fact that charges were never officially made. Bullock unlike Austin has however had the good sense to not get involved in a similar situation which seems to have kept him under the radar.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I am not privy to any inside info as rf1 seems to be.All I can say is no charges were ever brought against either player. I believe the girls family later got the state police involved and they said there was nothing there.I also believe that if there are signs made it will probably be the last time you see these games played until Cooley leaves.I happen to enjoy this rivalry and hope things do not get ugly and people do not do something stupid.One other thing I would like to add is it would have been very easy for this kid to transfer and not have to face any of this like Austin did.Last I knew we still live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Nickel:

Everyone enjoys the rivalry! Do you really believe Cooley would sabotage History, because a few signs targeted a player who was the subject of a criminal investigation? So, what if there were no signs and students/others chanted something directed at Bullock or hissed every time he touched the ball? Cooley would say, "Hey, Bob, that's it." What if it happens at other Big East venues? "Hey, Bob, forfeit the rest of the schedule…."
Please…….
Personally, I don't think Coach Hurley would allow bullshit like that in the Ryan Center, so Coach Cooley won't have to talk to Bob and the Father Shanley about "a just-in-case scenario."
Good thing the Fwiahs aren't playing at Duke this year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm not a fan of any type of signs for opposing players - no matter what they did or didn't do, these are kids and they aren't being paid to play. Boo them, heckle them, all fair game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was two years ago. Let it go.
We don't need our fans or student section getting involved with something the majority were still in high school for. Definitely no signs or chants.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:I am not privy to any inside info as rf1 seems to be.All I can say is no charges were ever brought against either player. I believe the girls family later got the state police involved and they said there was nothing there.I also believe that if there are signs made it will probably be the last time you see these games played until Cooley leaves.I happen to enjoy this rivalry and hope things do not get ugly and people do not do something stupid.One other thing I would like to add is it would have been very easy for this kid to transfer and not have to face any of this like Austin did.Last I knew we still live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.
Agree. The decision process is complete. Some may not like the process or the decision but it's not for our fans or students to take this on with signs or chants. Plus it's old news.
I'd hate to see the students get revved up about this and start making signs that they regret later.
Bulluck,is a very good player, could be best on team nex to Dunn.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Agree with Ramster. I'm all for creating a hostile environment for opponents, however it should always be restricted to the court. IMO bringing up off-the-court issues by the students is not a good representation of the university.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Leave that to the yokels that root for the team up north, we are above that crap.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:I am not privy to any inside info as rf1 seems to be.All I can say is no charges were ever brought against either player. I believe the girls family later got the state police involved and they said there was nothing there.I also believe that if there are signs made it will probably be the last time you see these games played until Cooley leaves.I happen to enjoy this rivalry and hope things do not get ugly and people do not do something stupid.One other thing I would like to add is it would have been very easy for this kid to transfer and not have to face any of this like Austin did.Last I knew we still live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.
Agree. The decision process is complete. Some may not like the process or the decision but it's not for our fans or students to take this on with signs or chants. Plus it's old news.
I'd hate to see the students get revved up about this and start making signs that they regret later.
Bullock, is a very good player, could be best on team next to Dunn.
and just as I say that about Bullock, Andy Katz says Cooley told him that he thought Bullock could lead the BE in scoring this year.

0 x