Basketball Practice Facilities Review

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Basketball Practice Facilities Review

Unread post by RF1 »

UConn $40M

Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

UMass hoops practice facility under construction

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass $30M

Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: UConn's new hoops practice facility

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe this will help them get into a real conference?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

VCU's new hoops practice facility

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU $25M

VCU Practice Center tour after opening

Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Basketball Practice Facilities Review

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good thing we have the combination of the Ryan Center (where the teams rarely have to be kicked out or share it) and the connected Ryan Family Student Athlete Development Center.

Now we just have to work on getting some fresh banners to hang in the Ryan Center. Hopefully this Fall is the last year where we "update" the NIT banner. That's gotten a workout the past decade.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

God these threads are tedious. At some point when I have some down time, I will combine all these facilities posts into one thread. There are hundreds of colleges in America. We don't need a new thread every time one of them builds a damn building.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that was my idea of changing the thread title. Merge, baby, merge!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

HAHA SOMEBODY BUILT A BUILDING! Not to discourage someone from starting a thread.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who cares, at least when it comes to us.

We have the new athletic center, plus Keaney etc.

There won't be any fancy $20 million "practice" center built at URI for a long time, if ever.

The next big project might be new stands at Meade. Maybe.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These facilities matter in the recruiting battle for players. Kids are very impressionable and these practice venues wow them. This is what Hurley is up against when he has to pitch URI.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:These facilities matter in the recruiting battle for players. Kids are very impressionable and these practice venues wow them. This is what Hurley is up against when he has to pitch URI.
Cool. Let's pretend that point had never been brought up before. Now it has been said. So can we stop doing this every time a shovel hits dirt on a college campus? Not to mention, URI has made an investment in its facilities recently. If anyone deems that inadequate, have a car wash or set up a lemonade stand. Or donate your own money. Whatever. I just don't think all of these projects warrant their own threads.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:These facilities matter in the recruiting battle for players. Kids are very impressionable and these practice venues wow them. This is what Hurley is up against when he has to pitch URI.
Cool. Let's pretend that point had never been brought up before. Now it has been said. So can we stop doing this every time a shovel hits dirt on a college campus? Not to mention, URI has made an investment in its facilities recently. If anyone deems that inadequate, have a car wash or set up a lemonade stand. Or donate your own money. Whatever. I just don't think all of these projects warrant their own threads.
I guess you would rather live in a URI centered cocoon and be oblivious to all that happens elsewhere. It is said that ignorance is bliss.

It appears that I should instead post about Notre Dame football. Unlike facilities posts, that seems to be ok on the URI message board. Relevance here seems to be rather arbitrary.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can talk about whatever you want. You just don't need to start a new thread every time some other school does a building. There is no cocoon. The reality is that if URI had 20M to do something, we would be dumb to build a practice facility given what we already have for facilities and all the other needs we have as a program and an athletic department. If Tom Ryan or some other donor wants to build us a practice facility, I wouldn't turn it down. I also think it is unnecessary and would advise any donor to spend their money on any number of other more pressing projects.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

UMass basketball doesn't have access to Mullins virtually anytime they want, like URI does with the Ryan Center. The combination of Ryan Center and Ryan Family SADC (and Keaney) puts us in good standing vs similar schools where we'd recruit directly against.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:UMass basketball doesn't have access to Mullins virtually anytime they want, like URI does with the Ryan Center. The combination of Ryan Center and Ryan Family SADC (and Keaney) puts us in good standing vs similar schools where we'd recruit directly against.

That might be partially true. The arena is used for hockey. The Mullins however does have a separate full size hockey rink attached to the main building for practice. I therefore think the ice configuration is only up for actual games.

The Siegel Center at VCU has no such hockey issues. The school however decided to build a basketball only practice facility directly across the street. UConn is similar as Gampel is basketball only. They built their practice facility right next to Gampel on what used to be Memorial Stadium (former home of UConn football).

I don't think these facilities are must haves in regards to being able to practice. They are more about the wow factor for recruiting and having unrestricted 24/7 access. This is sold to recruits and they can't help but be impressed when they see these.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

People like amenities. Reality is that football schools will always dominate the money pool if they choose to allocate money to the football programs. Most schools won't be able to compete with the financial backing places like Kentucky or Kansas have. First it was state of the art practice facilities, now it's state of the art apartment complexes. And as more schools start building their practice facilities, the power programs will be remodeling or rebuiding theres. And as more schools start to scrap money together for apartment complexes, Kentucky will have a bigger palacial estate for theirs. All you can do is utilize the funds at your disposal to the best of your ability to keep up.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch thinks Hurley may want a practice facility:

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

He didn't pick URI #1, what does he know??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Providence College Announces New Practice Facility

Unread post by RF1 »

PC $37.5M

Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P. ’80, PC’s president, announced today that the College will begin construction on Phase I in 2016, to include a new two-story structure attached to Alumni Hall. That facility will include a basketball practice facility and space for associated Department of Athletics activities.

Link:
http://www.providence.edu/alumni/suppor ... e-fdc.aspx
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Providence College Announces New Practice Facility

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote:Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P. ’80, PC’s president, announced today that the College will begin construction on Phase I in 2016, to include a new two-story structure attached to Alumni Hall. That facility will include a basketball practice facility and space for associated Department of Athletics activities.

Link:
Thankfully the state isn't kicking in any $$$ like they did for the glorified paint job known as the Dunk renovation.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P. ’80, PC’s president, announced today that the College will begin construction on Phase I in 2016, to include a new two-story structure attached to Alumni Hall. That facility will include a basketball practice facility and space for associated Department of Athletics activities.

Link:
Thankfully the state isn't kicking in any $$$ like they did for the glorified paint job known as the Dunk renovation.
Guess your not a big college basketball fan.Because without the so called glorified paint job there is no NCAA tournament at the dunk this year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

Link:
Guess your not a big college basketball fan.Because without the so called glorified paint job there is no NCAA tournament at the dunk this year.

If that is your argument, spending nearly 100 million to host the NCAA twice in a decade is a pretty poor investment.

From what I have read, the building has failed in attracting a significant increase in bookings. RI taxpayers continue to subsidize each and every year helping to pay off its debt.

I get that Friar fans love it. This welfare project for PC has allowed the school to spend monies on other athletic facilities on campus. There is money for these type projects when you don't have to spend a dime on an arena.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The Dunk's bookings are low, because financially they aren't viable.
How much money did they lose on Barry Manilow a few years ago?
I don't know how someone could forecast it because of evolution of the industry.
Seems the Dunk too big for smaller-artists, but too small for bigger-artists.
Big shows are headed to Boston, or Mansfield.
The big names cost too much, ticket prices are high, people don't show up, and they lose money.
Ryan Center is the perfect size for the smaller shows.

I agree with you about PC.
They had a horse in the race, to push to get the upgrades.
That frees up their operating budget on campus, and Alumni is just fine for many events on campus.
But let's not pretend the upgrades were done just to benefit PC.
They were a piece, sure.
But the DDC makes more money off the P-Bruins.
They make more money off of huge concerts.
And they benefit greatly from larger events like NCAA in basketball and hockey.
I'm sure they also make $$ of off guaranteed luxury box sales, boxes purchased year round by corporations.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I don't agree. If not for PC (Gavitt, Constantino), Dunk project never would have happened, or at the very least, it would have been a $20 million upgrade to the City, not a purchase and another $85 million upgrade. Also, if a Bond issue were held now, it would not be approved. Would it have been approved in 2005? Maybe, but not a slam dunk.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even some New England high schools are getting in on the act. Check out this 24.9M facility for St. John's Prep High School in Danvers, MA.

http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_new ... f2b82.html
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why are we even talking about this?

It's not happening here, especially now.

Dan has used up his leverage for any more upgrades.

It's win now, or where's the money?

No NCAA's, no more money.

Looks like all that money that was supposed to start flowing in, might have to wait a while longer. Maybe a lot longer.

The money might even shrink, what with the attendance at the Ryan lately.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN Coach Fired Up about Facilities and losing the arms race

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/5/9/15 ... t-hartford
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cry me a river.........poor babies......they have a brand new 40 million dollar practice facility that is the Taj Mahal of practice facilities......split between the men and women......

Geno is right though....when the women stop winning titles [after he retires] it will be too late.....being in the AAC doesn't help either program and the football program too....TV revenue is nothing compared to the P5 conferences.

Maybe Geno and Haystack Calhoun can donate a few dollars from their own pockets.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NEW DETAILS: UD Arena’s $72 million upgrade biggest project in university history
Will Garbe Staff Writer
6:57 p.m Thursday, May 11, 2017
Dayton Daily News

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/loc ... gGEFdwrGM/

Dayton already has a basketball facility attached to UD Arena. It underwent a 4M renovation back in 2015.
http://daytonflyers.com/news/2015/5/28/ ... 52442.aspx

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Now who's paying for all this?

Out of our league, that's for sure.

The disparity of facilities from the top to the bottom of the A10 is staggering.

Even with an increased budget down the road, due to either donations, ticket revenue, or TV money, we can't compete with stuff like this.

As was mentioned, we're destined to remain around 4th-5th in the conference when it comes to resources.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ugh....

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Stupid. How did they build the Ryan Center? Or any of the other 100s of buildings down in Kingston.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Win 28 games a year for five years....get to the sweet 16 or elite 8 a few times.....won't need a fancy facility....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What Mason is doing we will have to do at some point.....have to keep up with the Joneses......at least they are upgrading existing facilities instead of building a stand alone facility.

If the A10 wants to stay at the top of the mid major heap, more of it's schools will have to follow suit.

And URI will have to be one of them, or possibly fall to mid pack status down the road.

Again, agree with ramster on this.....plans should be in the works to do this in the not very distant future.....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I cant see why they couldn't do it if they really wanted to.

You could do a private fundraiser. Have big donors match small donors. Or some creative initiative. Then take that cash to the GA and get the public to throw in cash.

Pretty much any well connected and funded lobby in RI gets what it wants. If they wanted it and it was at the top of the School's list I would be surprised if they couldn't get it.

LSU's football stadium was built as dorms to circumvent people that would object to it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It will happen within a few years...count on it. Of course the longer it takes, the more it will cost.....

Just add it to the tab along with 25 million or so for Meade......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree that it will happen here. It's good news for the A10 to have Schools like George Mason (besides Dayton, VCU, St Louis, UMASS) investing like this. The more schools in the A10 who do this, the pressure on the remaining schools will increase. Duquesne also recently announced very significant capital improvements to their Basketball Facilities.
URI needs to come close behind this group - not too far behind.

I read the George Mason article when it came out several days ago and was very impressed with the plan, wishing we had a similar plan for Basketball and how wonderful it would be to have a vision for Football. No doubt Thor and President Dooley are aware of what the competition is up to.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure that Thorr, Dooley et al would rather not have to spend this kind of money to keep up, but what choice do they have?

If you want to be like Gonzaga, it's not going to happen without the necessary Gonzaga-like expenditures. Want to land 4 star recruits on a consistent basis? Like it or not, it's a fact of life nowadays.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You grow into a Gonzaga like program from sustained winning. There's no light switch to go from where URI is today to what Gonzaga is today.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I would think theres an option to renovate and add on to either keaney or tootel. AS URI did wit the new workout rooms.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATP is right ... I believe I read an article that discussed the big donors for the new basketball facility at Gonzaga.
I believe they just became fans 5 years ago, after seeing them play in Arizona.
I don't believe they have any previous affiliation with the school.
In the last 20 years, school enrollment has doubled, endowment has skyrocketed, budget has grown 300% in 20 years, built a new arena in 2004, a new practice facility on the way up, and in 2015, they started fundraising to try to raise $250 million, and had received $240 as of March.
And you want to know what people close to the school believe it's all tied too?
Basketball and their consistent success.
It started in '99, when they made the Elite 8.
Including '99, they have won tournament games in 16 out of 19 seasons.
They have made 8 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's, and this year added in the Final Four and Championship game.
It's a hard bar to reach, not that it can't, but a track record like that is quite impressive.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know URI isn't going to reach a Gonzaga type level without sustained winning first.

With winning comes the money. Both have to happen.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Plus Gonzaga is a private Catholic school....they appeal to different demographics than the "second-class citizen in our own state" type of State University that we are....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thread is about practice facilities.
UMASS, Dayton, St Louis, Duquesne, PC (in Progress with Roane Center and I know, not A10), Now George Mason.........all investing significantly in Basketball Facilities including practice centers.
Not all had to experience Gonzaga like success before making these investing decisions
I think the George Mason announcement this week has the most similarity to what URI could announce plans for - take some of what already exists and make it sparkle - the George Mason plans look great and not outrageously expensive. Fundraising in progress that does not look insurmountable for a school like URI
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Not gonna happen.....

Zero chance, none
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

http://gmuhoops.co/2016/02/07/george-ma ... AhQgT.dpbs

Here is a link.
I say, URI build a new Pool complex, uses the Tootell Area for Practice facility.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I believe fans/donors are all in for the idea after last season, and will be even more so with another successful season in 2017-2018. As a matter of fact, this should be a poll.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like it or not, there is and will always be an arms race when it comes to facilities.

URI HAS to continue to upgrade in all areas in order to compete. The question isn't if, it's when these things will happen.

Or else become second class, even in our own conference.

It's tougher here of course, with almost everything requiring private [or NCAA] money.....state funding is a pipe dream.....but that's the reality.
0 x
Everett_Rob
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Everett_Rob »

I'm preparing to the new season, exited
0 x